Samsung Galaxy S6 Cell standby battery drain?

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cell standby battery drain?

It seems to be across the board with the different carriers right now and hopefully Samsung is working on a fix. I ready on Sammobile.com that Samsung already is pushing 5.0.2 out but of course the US carriers won't get it unless its a minor security update that was in the works and approved prior to launch.

For once I wish Samsung would offer the option to buy direct and without carrier involvement.

My AT&T S6 came with 5.0.2 out of the box. Are the other carriers on 5.0/5.0.1?

Hi - new Galaxy owner here. Can someone tell me where "Smart Network Switch" and VoLTE is/are on AT&T model? I found the always scanning for Wi-Fi. Would really appreciate the help!

Settings - Connection - Wi-Fi - More - Smart Network Switch. Mine was off by default. VoLTE is Settings - Connection - Mobile Network - Mobile Data - Un check Enhanced 4G LTE services.

kcguy76

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Settings - Connection - Wi-Fi - More - Smart Network Switch. Mine was off by default. VoLTE is Settings - Connection - Mobile Network - Mobile Data - Un check Enhanced 4G LTE services.
Thanks!!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Isn't cell standby greatly impacted by the signal strength of the carrier in a given area? My current phone drains like crazy in poor network areas and hardly at all in strong signal areas.

Sometimes yes but the issue with the S6 is you usually only see cell standby using a lot of power when you have wifi on. That wifi could be connected or just not connected (such as if you're out and about).

Basically it seems if the wifi radio is on.. Cell standby starts to use more juice than it should.

vfp5

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site

Drained and charged to 100% twice. Happy to say cell standby doesn't show up anymore :) at&t

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

Sometimes yes but the issue with the S6 is you usually only see cell standby using a lot of power when you have wifi on. That wifi could be connected or just not connected (such as if you're out and about).

Basically it seems if the wifi radio is on.. Cell standby starts to use more juice than it should.

My WiFi uses a ton of power when it's not connected to a network. In GSam it shows WiFi and phone radio as separate things where as in the Samsung battery monitor it seems to lump them into "Cell Standby". At least that's what it seems like.

kmod75

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

Mine came with 5.0.2 right out of the box, too. Guess I'm confused as to why they're saying Samsung is just now rolling it out...I'm new to this, so sure I'm missing something.

kmod75

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

Mine came with 5.0.2 right out of the box, too. Guess I'm confused as to why they're saying Samsung is just now rolling it out...I'm new to this, so sure I'm missing something.

sublimegolf

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm on T-Mobile and went from 100% to 60% overnight. Recharged to 90% and couldn't make it through an 8 hour shift with little or not use.
55% for Cell Standby!!!
Just got by from T-Mobile and they don't have a clue. Any answers out there?
battery_drain.jpg

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I'm on T-Mobile and went from 100% to 60% overnight. Recharged to 9 I 0% and couldn't make it through an 8 hour shift with th little or not use.
55% for Cell Standby!!!
Just got by from T-Mobile and they don't have a clue. Any answers out there?
View attachment 171432

Try my suggestions on this link first, if still the same just get a replacement and in the next one just be sure to do what I suggest about the update and wiping cache and data first and then your choices of the rest.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/514137-adjustments-tips-tricks-maximize-battery-life-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge.html

katiheefner

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

I'm a new Android user with the s6. If and when samsung pushes an update how do I get it? Will it be a system upgrade or in the Samsung app store?

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

I'm on AT&T and my cell stby is at 21%. I have been dealing with Samsung via twitter and they advise to put phone into safe mode for a few hours.