Samsung Galaxy S6 Cell standby battery drain?

vfp5

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Never had a phone where cell standby drains the battery more than the display? So far battery life not looking so good...anyone know why this might be happening?

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cell standby battery drain?

If you are on t-mobile there were many posts from early users on this already. It seems to be caused by some WiFi related bug and there are reports that turning off WiFi calling, VoLTE, always scanning for wifi would reduce the cell standby drain.

vfp5

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site

Appreciate the response! Unfortunately I'm on at&t. Really odd...pulling 16% now

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site

Same thing with me on AT&T. Here is a screenshot.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 479.jpg
    479.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 930

axia55

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Try turning off always scanning for wifi, smart network switch and VoLTE. Then reboot and see if it improves.
I am on AT&T and have terrible battery life with cell standby as #1 drainer.

Never mind my question, I found a those settings. Hopefully that helps!

vfp5

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!! Gave that at a try...still no improvement. Same as screenshot above. Love everything else so far though

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Can you guys do a calibration and see how much sot you got from 100 to 10%?

Focusing on one single process may not be helpful.

ballzac

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site

on att i can confirm that works, my standby was high now i have none

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!! Gave that at a try...still no improvement. Same as screenshot above. Love everything else so far though

Then how much does it drain on standby? If less than 2%/hr, I think it's not something to worry about regardless of cell stand by % on battery stats.

Some T-mobile guys had more than 5%/hr from high cell standby and others on at&t are having good stand by time.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

It seems to be across the board with the different carriers right now and hopefully Samsung is working on a fix. I ready on Sammobile.com that Samsung already is pushing 5.0.2 out but of course the US carriers won't get it unless its a minor security update that was in the works and approved prior to launch.

For once I wish Samsung would offer the option to buy direct and without carrier involvement.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Can you help me find these options?

First two are in WiFi setting screen on upper right corner. VoLTE depends on carrier version. T-mobile has it in phone app setting and at&t has it in mobile network/mobile data setting.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I'll be back to answer more but cell standby while big is not effecting my battery life much if at all and I got everything turned on.

14624db2914bd4427e55591b15a5e386.jpg

e6af4421f64b745d76bb76d6c4a3da10.jpg

vfp5

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site

Ok. Maybe it doesn't matter...just kinda odd. Showing 2.5 hrs ost with 42% left on the battery. Cell standby up to 21% lol

quietkvj

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site

Then how much does it drain on standby? If less than 2%/hr, I think it's not something to worry about regardless of cell stand by % on battery stats.

Some T-mobile guys had more than 5%/hr from high cell standby and others on at&t are having good stand by time.

I'm in T-mobile and I woke up around 12 am and pulled it off the charger, then woke up around 5am and was down to 88%. That's a little over 2% each hour. It was on WiFi with scanning allowed the whole time with location services on too, but WiFi calling was off, what do you think?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Isn't cell standby greatly impacted by the signal strength of the carrier in a given area? My current phone drains like crazy in poor network areas and hardly at all in strong signal areas.

kcguy76

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Try turning off always scanning for wifi, smart network switch and VoLTE. Then reboot and see if it improves.

Hi - new Galaxy owner here. Can someone tell me where "Smart Network Switch" and VoLTE is/are on AT&T model? I found the always scanning for Wi-Fi. Would really appreciate the help!