04-28-2015 08:52 PM
48 12
tools
    Who cares? The point is apple did it, Samsung didn't.

Glad it works for everyone else. Its awful for me. Will send back and try another. Just disappointing.

Posted via Android Central App
    Well I hope you get a properly working model or software update.

But imo, it does matter, when you make that chasing apple statement to actually know the truth. I didn't intend to annoy or bother you, I just try to share info when it applies. Good luck.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 (S is for Super) via the Android Central App
    04-11-2015 05:54 AM
    Well I hope you get a properly working model or software update.

But imo, it does matter, when you make that chasing apple statement to actually know the truth. I didn't intend to annoy or bother you, I just try to share info when it applies. Good luck.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 (S is for Super) via the Android Central App
    I've watched a lot of reviews. Most of them I read indicated it was better than previous iterations. But still not quite as good as apple. Yes, in this area they are still chasing apple. That is the truth. Gap has closed significantly on the sensor, but the consensus is it is not as good.

I'm an android guy and not ios, but I will give the devil their due.
    Gray Area and nj1266 like this.
    04-11-2015 06:37 AM
    I finally gave up and called verizon. They want me to do a reset before sending me a new phone. I'm on road so will do it later this evening.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-11-2015 03:16 PM
    Don't know if you have a setup issue or a phone issue but I set mine up earlier and it is working flawlessly so I thought I would write up just how I did it in hopes that it might help someone else out in here.

When I did the setup I first setup my right thumb. With each touch of the home button I would move my thumb for the next press. I moved it from almost the top of the thumb on down to the bottom and them the same from side to side so it would have an imprint of just about all areas of my thumb by the time it was done. I even turned my thumb slightly to the side for a few of the imprints. I then did the thumb on the opposite hand and did it just the same way. I have tested it over and over again with each thumb and it is working almost 100 percent of the time.

I'm guessing about this but I suspect each imprint is registered with that area that it is seeing so you want to have as much of the various area of the finger in there so it can compare it to the area you input when unlocking. I have probably used it about thirty times or so since setting up the fingerprint scanner and it has only failed once but worked fine with the next try. The one time it didn't work it told me to be sure to cover the entire home button which I made sure to do on the second try.

You might try re-doing the fingerprints again and see if that helps.
    deeb215 and Gray Area like this.
    04-11-2015 04:37 PM
    Don't know if you have a setup issue or a phone issue but I set mine up earlier and it is working flawlessly so I thought I would write up just how I did it in hopes that it might help someone else out in here.

When I did the setup I first setup my right thumb. With each touch of the home button I would move my thumb for the next press. I moved it from almost the top of the thumb on down to the bottom and them the same from side to side so it would have an imprint of just about all areas of my thumb by the time it was done. I even turned my thumb slightly to the side for a few of the imprints. I then did the thumb on the opposite hand and did it just the same way. I have tested it over and over again with each thumb and it is working almost 100 percent of the time.

I'm guessing about this but I suspect each imprint is registered with that area that it is seeing so you want to have as much of the various area of the finger in there so it can compare it to the area you input when unlocking. I have probably used it about thirty times or so since setting up the fingerprint scanner and it has only failed once but worked fine with the next try. The one time it didn't work it told me to be sure to cover the entire home button which I made sure to do on the second try.

You might try re-doing the fingerprints again and see if that helps.
    Then there has to be something wrong with mine. I have reset it at least 2 dozen times doing every angle of my thumb possible.

Mine just.doesnt.work. It's misery to use it, which defeats the purpose. Should be a seamless unlock.

Doing reset later tonight with samsung tech. I'm guessing they will have to send me a new one.

I'll report back either way.
    04-11-2015 07:20 PM
    New one en route. Worked better for awhile 8/10 perhaps, then back to 3/10.

If not better I'm waiting for something else.

04-11-2015 10:40 PM
    Better luck with the next phone, hope it works as well for you as mine is for me.

I was concerned about the quality of the fingerprint scanner but mine works great and your second one should work as well for you.
    04-11-2015 10:53 PM
    Check your camera lens and sensor in back. Both came w protective film and may be the root of it.

Ian B
    04-11-2015 11:47 PM
    Check your camera lens and sensor in back. Both came w protective film and may be the root of it. You must remove it.

Ian B
    04-11-2015 11:47 PM
    Mine also works flawlessly.
    04-12-2015 08:07 AM
    Check your camera lens and sensor in back. Both came w protective film and may be the root of it. You must remove it.

Ian B
    Out of curiosity how does the camera affect the scanner?
    04-12-2015 08:13 AM
    Oh it's less than flawless. How's rhat?

You're the one implying that it's less than flawless. He's asking why do you think the iPhone one is better. Your first statement said it's not as great as the iPhone one, he's just inquiring as to why do you feel that way?

Mine is working great. It works all the time unless I forget I've upgraded and try to swipe my finger like on my S5. So unless it's user error it works 100% of the time.
    04-12-2015 10:18 AM
    You're the one implying that it's less than flawless. He's asking why do you think the iPhone one is better. Your first statement said it's not as great as the iPhone one, he's just inquiring as to why do you feel that way?

Mine is working great. It works all the time unless I forget I've upgraded and try to swipe my finger like on my S5. So unless it's user error it works 100% of the time.
    I think that it's very good and I love that the s6 has it. But it's not as good as my iPhone 6. It's totally usable and works very well though. Let it go man, it's just an opinion.

04-12-2015 10:34 AM
    Mine seems to be working almost flawlessly now. I think the trick is to program more than one slot for the same finger. Additionally I find it's important to lay your finger on the home button very lightly. It seems to recognize your stored print much better if you use a very light touch.

Hope this helps.
    04-12-2015 11:10 AM
    My S6 gets here in a couple days was wondering about this screen unlock procedure. What's the dreaded combo of characters needed to unlock it the old fashion way? That's in case the fingerprint fails for some reason it would be the back up way in, right? Never used the finger print unlock before and I am coming from an iPhone 6. I'm naturally going to be skeptical because I never could get my iPhone 6 to work properly and just used the 4 number code I had set up. Easy peasy and your in in under 2 sec, wish the S6 had that feature.
    04-12-2015 11:11 AM
    I have not had any major issues. The
    Fingerprint scanner works about 95% of the time for me. A neat little trick I found out is scanning multiple fingers using only one fingerprint slot works!

For example, whenever I go into scan my fingerprint, I scanned my right thumb first and then my left thumb. I keep alternating between the two until 100%. Using different positions as well so there's a greater chance of success. After completing that, now both my left AND right thumb will unlock my phone, and I only used one fingerprint slot.

Find a flaw with this? Please let me know, there's probably something important I missed.

04-12-2015 11:48 AM
    Out of curiosity how does the camera affect the scanner?

It does not but wanted to let everyone know you must remove both and could be issue for camera photos and separately could affect sensor in back.

Ian B
    04-12-2015 03:49 PM
    I did the multiple fingers for one print slot as well. So far I have not noticed a hit on the reliability of the scanner.

But so far everything with it seems fine. At first I had to redo a print because I never really quite captured the angle that I use when unlocking the phone. I feel like the iphone might have a slight edge and I think some of that has to do with a nice circle home button. But I am loving it so far
    04-12-2015 04:45 PM
    Even though I generally unlock the device with my thumbs angled side ways as oppose to straight up, I had to scan my fingers with straight up which helped a lot in accuracy.

04-12-2015 05:32 PM
    I previously had only my thumbs registered. It would work like 50% of the time with the first attempt. I realized that if I lifted my thumb briefly once I initially pressed the home button to wake it up, the accuracy increased to about 90%. I just registered both index fingers as well and now it seems to be working 100% without livting my thumbs.
    04-12-2015 06:34 PM
    When I set my fingerprint up I actually pushed the home button in each tim as if I was unlocking the phone and it seams to be working about 90% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    04-12-2015 07:34 PM
    I am on Verizon and I have the same problem. I have set mine up multiple times. It works well for a couple of days then it slowly stops recognizing the prints. I have tried the thumbs and index fingers. Hopefully they will release an update soon.
    04-28-2015 07:29 PM
    Having used iphones and ipads I honestly find the S6 and Edge fingerprint sensors to be spot on and equal to if not better than the iphone/ipad version.
    04-28-2015 08:52 PM
48 12