Fingerprint Sensor A Bit Finicky - Any Setup Tricks Or Techniques?

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I've tries using three of the four available slots to do just my right thumb (the finger I'll almost always be using), I've tried to use different angles and parts of the thumb but I'm still finding that recognition is a bit hit or miss.

Just wondering what your experiences have been with this or if you've found some tricks that help it register more reliably.

Just make sure that when you set up the fingerprint you press your thumb in as many angles as you can. I used the top of the thumb, the side and I also made sure I was holding the phone like I usually do when I unlock the device while training the scanner. I have two fingerprints trained: my right thumb and my left thumb. Works every time and very quickly.

I hated the Galaxy NOTE 4 scanner so much I turned it off after 2 days. Never used it again. On this one I sometimes forget I have a fingerprint lock because it works so well.

Posted via the Android Central App

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Because not great implies it is less than flawless. If you have not had any issues then how is it worse than another phone you have no issues with?

"Not great like my iphone" implies it has issues your iPhone doesn't have.

Oh it's less than flawless. How's rhat?

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I've reset it and started over about a dozen times. At best it's 50/50 for me. Luckily I use my watch as a trusted device but it's pretty frustrating and seems half baked. Seems just another example of jusssst not being able to catch apple.

Well I have 4 fingers set up, I tap the home button, screen comes on, leave whatever finger I used to tap the home button on the button 1 sec later it unlocks. Occasionally I'll have my finger in an awkward angle and it will vibrate, I change finger position and 1 sec later unlocks. It's perfect whenever I have my finger tip on the button, it gives me the vibration whenever I put my finger to high because I accidentally think I'm using the s5 scanner. Lol so the 1 in 20 times it didn't work perfectly is due to user error. And they've done side by side comparisons on YouTube. It works just as fast and sometimes faster then apple touch id.

By the way, for those who think Samsung was chasing apple on the fingerprint scanner. Do some homework, Samsung had a contract with the company who created the fingerprint scanner that Apple bow uses. Samsung was going to have touch id before apple had it, then at the last minute apple swooped in and purchased that company and effectively ending that contract with Samsung and then using the technology in their iPhone 5. So... Apple was 1st by technicality and then it forced Samsung to find other software that worked slightly different so you know they wouldn't get sued like always.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 (S is for Super) via the Android Central App

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Who cares? The point is apple did it, Samsung didn't.

Glad it works for everyone else. Its awful for me. Will send back and try another. Just disappointing.

Posted via Android Central App

Well I hope you get a properly working model or software update.

But imo, it does matter, when you make that chasing apple statement to actually know the truth. I didn't intend to annoy or bother you, I just try to share info when it applies. Good luck.

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Well I hope you get a properly working model or software update.

But imo, it does matter, when you make that chasing apple statement to actually know the truth. I didn't intend to annoy or bother you, I just try to share info when it applies. Good luck.

I've watched a lot of reviews. Most of them I read indicated it was better than previous iterations. But still not quite as good as apple. Yes, in this area they are still chasing apple. That is the truth. Gap has closed significantly on the sensor, but the consensus is it is not as good.

I'm an android guy and not ios, but I will give the devil their due.

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I finally gave up and called verizon. They want me to do a reset before sending me a new phone. I'm on road so will do it later this evening.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if you have a setup issue or a phone issue but I set mine up earlier and it is working flawlessly so I thought I would write up just how I did it in hopes that it might help someone else out in here.

When I did the setup I first setup my right thumb. With each touch of the home button I would move my thumb for the next press. I moved it from almost the top of the thumb on down to the bottom and them the same from side to side so it would have an imprint of just about all areas of my thumb by the time it was done. I even turned my thumb slightly to the side for a few of the imprints. I then did the thumb on the opposite hand and did it just the same way. I have tested it over and over again with each thumb and it is working almost 100 percent of the time.

I'm guessing about this but I suspect each imprint is registered with that area that it is seeing so you want to have as much of the various area of the finger in there so it can compare it to the area you input when unlocking. I have probably used it about thirty times or so since setting up the fingerprint scanner and it has only failed once but worked fine with the next try. The one time it didn't work it told me to be sure to cover the entire home button which I made sure to do on the second try.

You might try re-doing the fingerprints again and see if that helps.

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if you have a setup issue or a phone issue but I set mine up earlier and it is working flawlessly so I thought I would write up just how I did it in hopes that it might help someone else out in here.

When I did the setup I first setup my right thumb. With each touch of the home button I would move my thumb for the next press. I moved it from almost the top of the thumb on down to the bottom and them the same from side to side so it would have an imprint of just about all areas of my thumb by the time it was done. I even turned my thumb slightly to the side for a few of the imprints. I then did the thumb on the opposite hand and did it just the same way. I have tested it over and over again with each thumb and it is working almost 100 percent of the time.

I'm guessing about this but I suspect each imprint is registered with that area that it is seeing so you want to have as much of the various area of the finger in there so it can compare it to the area you input when unlocking. I have probably used it about thirty times or so since setting up the fingerprint scanner and it has only failed once but worked fine with the next try. The one time it didn't work it told me to be sure to cover the entire home button which I made sure to do on the second try.

You might try re-doing the fingerprints again and see if that helps.

Then there has to be something wrong with mine. I have reset it at least 2 dozen times doing every angle of my thumb possible.

Mine just.doesnt.work. It's misery to use it, which defeats the purpose. Should be a seamless unlock.

Doing reset later tonight with samsung tech. I'm guessing they will have to send me a new one.

I'll report back either way.

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
New one en route. Worked better for awhile 8/10 perhaps, then back to 3/10.

If not better I'm waiting for something else.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Better luck with the next phone, hope it works as well for you as mine is for me.

I was concerned about the quality of the fingerprint scanner but mine works great and your second one should work as well for you.

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Check your camera lens and sensor in back. Both came w protective film and may be the root of it.

Ian B

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Check your camera lens and sensor in back. Both came w protective film and may be the root of it. You must remove it.

Ian B

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh it's less than flawless. How's rhat?

You're the one implying that it's less than flawless. He's asking why do you think the iPhone one is better. Your first statement said it's not as great as the iPhone one, he's just inquiring as to why do you feel that way?

Mine is working great. It works all the time unless I forget I've upgraded and try to swipe my finger like on my S5. So unless it's user error it works 100% of the time.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
You're the one implying that it's less than flawless. He's asking why do you think the iPhone one is better. Your first statement said it's not as great as the iPhone one, he's just inquiring as to why do you feel that way?

Mine is working great. It works all the time unless I forget I've upgraded and try to swipe my finger like on my S5. So unless it's user error it works 100% of the time.

I think that it's very good and I love that the s6 has it. But it's not as good as my iPhone 6. It's totally usable and works very well though. Let it go man, it's just an opinion.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine seems to be working almost flawlessly now. I think the trick is to program more than one slot for the same finger. Additionally I find it's important to lay your finger on the home button very lightly. It seems to recognize your stored print much better if you use a very light touch.

Hope this helps.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
My S6 gets here in a couple days was wondering about this screen unlock procedure. What's the dreaded combo of characters needed to unlock it the old fashion way? That's in case the fingerprint fails for some reason it would be the back up way in, right? Never used the finger print unlock before and I am coming from an iPhone 6. I'm naturally going to be skeptical because I never could get my iPhone 6 to work properly and just used the 4 number code I had set up. Easy peasy and your in in under 2 sec, wish the S6 had that feature.