Hi folks what insurance would you get if any?
    Square trade?
    Total Mobile Protection? Verizon

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-10-2015 10:48 PM
    I'm waiting to see if the Samsung Mobile Elite Protection plan will cover the S6. I emailed Samsung about it, and they responded by saying to keep checking their Web site after the S6 I'd launched. The cost seems reasonable, and all repairs are made by Samsung.
    04-10-2015 10:57 PM
    I'm waiting to see if the Samsung Mobile Elite Protection plan will cover the S6. I emailed Samsung about it, and they responded by saying to keep checking their Web site after the S6 I'd launched. The cost seems reasonable, and all repairs are made by Samsung.
    Sounds intriguing

04-10-2015 11:08 PM
    I'm also looking into the Samsung Mobile Elite Protection. I spoke to a rep on Live chat and they also said it is coming and keep checking the website.
    04-11-2015 12:06 AM
    I have insurance on my m8 and I won't buy insurance again. The only thing you'll ever really use insurance for is a cracked screen. Unfortunately, any insurance you get will charge you a deductible to get it fixed on top of the monthly payments. I finally realized it's a waste of money. You can get any phone screen fixed for 100-150 dollars. The deductible itself is usually about that plus your other payments. Insurance on phones just isn't worth it. Now if you get it stolen that's another story, but simple damage to a phone doesn't justify insurance in my opinion. I have had insurance on every phone since as far as I can remember and have never used it once. My m8 will be the last one. (And if you are wondering why I'm posting here, it's because I am debating getting an s6) All insurance is the same it doesn't matter which phone you have.

PsychDoc likes this.
    04-11-2015 01:23 AM
    I have insurance on my m8 and I won't buy insurance again. The only thing you'll ever really use insurance for is a cracked screen. Unfortunately, any insurance you get will charge you a deductible to get it fixed on top of the monthly payments. I finally realized it's a waste of money. You can get any phone screen fixed for 100-150 dollars. The deductible itself is usually about that plus your other payments. Insurance on phones just isn't worth it. Now if you get it stolen that's another story, but simple damage to a phone doesn't justify insurance in my opinion. I have had insurance on every phone since as far as I can remember and have never used it once. My m8 will be the last one. (And if you are wondering why I'm posting here, it's because I am debating getting an s6) All insurance is the same it doesn't matter which phone you have.

There's a reason why retail sales associates are so eager to sell you this crap. The loss ratio (what they actually pay out for every dollar charged) is less than $0.50 and often as low as $0.20. This is true of phones, TV's, appliances or any other product you'll ever buy. I have never, ever, ever even considered purchasing this junk. You get better odds on a lottery ticket...and that's a complete waste of money too. Self insure!!! After 10 years you'll be so far ahead of the game it isn't even funny.
    04-11-2015 06:22 AM

If it's worth it or note depends on how the individual takes care of their products. If you don't use a case then you are more likely to break your phone. If you have a history of loosing stuff then it may be good for you. Personally I would not mess with third party screen repairs.
    04-11-2015 06:25 AM

I agree with what your saying, especially with the carrier insurance and the high deductible per claim. My concern is the fact the S6 has both front and back glass panels which could potentially cracked on a drop, and possible water damage. The Samsung Mobile Protection plan is $99 for 2 years protection, and covers damage due to drops and water. The deductible is $75 which seems reasonable to me considering the average cost of replacing a single cracked screen. Plus, the work is done by Samsung and not a 3rd party vendor. It's very similar to the Applecare plan, except you have to send in your device for repair instead of simply visiting a local Apple store.

Of course, all of this is just for my piece of mind since the S6 I have is nearly $800 in cost.
    04-11-2015 07:17 AM
    I'm also looking into the Samsung Mobile Elite Protection. I spoke to a rep on Live chat and they also said it is coming and keep checking the website.
    I've been checking their website, but still no luck. Has anyone tried calling them to get the plan added to an S6?
    04-13-2015 03:38 PM

Same with me. I bought insurance for my S5 and never even used it once.
    I may consider getting Squaretrade because its only $5 a month and you can cancel anytime
    04-13-2015 03:49 PM
    Square Trade for me. I used them for a while now covering my iPhone 6. When I cracked it all I paid was a $75 deductible (T-mobile deductible is much higher) and I got it fixed the next day. I will never use any phone carrier insurance again.
    04-13-2015 03:51 PM
    I bought the $7 a month att insurance and now I'm thinking I should cancel it. Never bought it before.

04-13-2015 03:52 PM
    Same with me. I bought insurance for my S5 and never even used it once.
    I may consider getting Squaretrade because its only $5 a month and you can cancel anytime
    That's what I did

04-13-2015 04:30 PM
    Sqaretrade for me. Been using them for my last 4 phones beginning with my SGS2. I pay the $99 for 2 years of coverage because I usually upgrade every year and pass the phones on to my kids.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-13-2015 05:19 PM
    I've been checking their website, but still no luck. Has anyone tried calling them to get the plan added to an S6?
    I just called the phone number on the Samsung web site and got transferred twice to two different departments (apparently, within the "SHARP" corporation). No one seemed to know what this plan is, or could answer my question. I gave finally gave up after talking to the 3rd person. I'll try sending off an email to Samsung asking this question again. I'll keep everyone posted on their response.
    04-13-2015 05:19 PM
    I bought the $7 a month att insurance and now I'm thinking I should cancel it. Never bought it before.

What I don't like about the AT&T insurance plan, is that it costs $7/month and there is also a $199 deductible per claim. They do cover loss or theft under that plan, but I've never lost my phone so I don't need that option. Also, AT&T (like other phone carriers) go through a 3rd party insurance company called Asurion which has some bad reviews from people who have file claims. Asurion will give you a refurbished phone, and they don't guarantee that you'll get the same model or color. Just something comparable.
    04-13-2015 05:25 PM
    What I don't like about the AT&T insurance plan, is that it costs $7/month and there is also a $199 deductible per claim. They do cover loss or theft under that plan, but I've never lost my phone so I don't need that option. Also, AT&T (like other phone carriers) go through a 3rd party insurance company called Asurion which has some bad reviews from people who have file claims. Asurion will give you a refurbished phone, and they don't guarantee that you'll get the same model or color. Just something comparable.
    Hmmm I didn't know that. Thank you. I hope they let me cancel it. Now to figure out if I even want insurance at all...

04-13-2015 05:34 PM
    Hmmm I didn't know that. Thank you. I hope they let me cancel it. Now to figure out if I even want insurance at all...

If you have AT&T, you should be able to login to your account online, and cancel the insurance. For me, if Samsung doesn't offer their protection plan for the S6, I'll probably not get insurance and try to be extra careful with my smartphone. If I drop it and break the glass or screen, or have water damage, I'll then contact Samsung directly to see how much it would cost to repair. It should be cheaper to repair the phone than buy a new one.
    04-13-2015 05:44 PM
    I looked online at Samsung's description of their insurance plan. It appears that their insurance will provide a replacement phone within 2 days if you have a claim for damage. Does that bother anyone? I'm guessing that the replacement phone would be a refurbished one. Any worries about whether the replacement phone would have issues your original phone did not have? Or am I over-thinking again?
    04-13-2015 05:56 PM
    I looked online at Samsung's description of their insurance plan. It appears that their insurance will provide a replacement phone within 2 days if you have a claim for damage. Does that bother anyone? I'm guessing that the replacement phone would be a refurbished one. Any worries about whether the replacement phone would have issues your original phone did not have? Or am I over-thinking again?
    That seems to be the risk you take with any insurance plan. My belief, is that Samsung would most probably have better refurbished phones than a 3rd party insurance company. But, I've never filed a smartphone warranty claim before so I'm just speculating.
    radicchio likes this.
    04-13-2015 06:12 PM
    If you have AT&T, you should be able to login to your account online, and cancel the insurance. For me, if Samsung doesn't offer their protection plan for the S6, I'll probably not get insurance and try to be extra careful with my smartphone. If I drop it and break the glass or screen, or have water damage, I'll then contact Samsung directly to see how much it would cost to repair. It should be cheaper to repair the phone than buy a new one.
    Something to consider, thank you.

04-13-2015 06:16 PM
    That seems to be the risk you take with any insurance plan. My belief, is that Samsung would most probably have better refurbished phones than a 3rd party insurance company. But, I've never filed a smartphone warranty claim before so I'm just speculating.
    When I worked for Sprint I had people complain about Ausrion all the time. The phones would come with broken screens, battery doors missing or cracked, phones would not turn on or refused to activate because they were still tied to old customers accounts. It was a mess. These days even if you lost your phone or it was stolen you could pick up a cheap used or maybe even new Moto X or something to hold you over for $300ish or less.

I'll likely get Samsung's insurance since it's a decent price and it's from the OEM, but if they don't then I'll likely go without.
    04-13-2015 06:40 PM
    If I buy an S6 or edge from ebay or swappa or some other third party like that can I still get insurance? Even the samsung one?
    04-17-2015 01:13 PM
    You can't do the Samsung insurance, it has to come from a carrier or Samsung authorized retailer brand new. Ebay, Swappa, etc, don't count and they do require you to provide proof of purchase.

Carriers tend to vary company to company. I know when I worked at Sprint you could add the insurance to an phone you hadn't just purchased so long as it had been activated on a line in the last 30 days.
    04-17-2015 01:57 PM