Smart Manager Utility

alarinn

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Don't install Clean Master. It along with Battery Doctor, are the 2 worst offending Android apps on the planet.

Task killers and the like are nothing more than data mining apps appearing as if they do something. They don't because they take advantage of the general user's lack of knowledge of Android. Android does a wonderful job of task managing these days and there is no need for these apps. I proved it myself too by having to do a factory reset on my Galaxy Tab S and not reinstalling Clean Master. Did I miss it? Nope. Clean Master lies about the stats by taking hibernated apps and bringing them out and using that data. When you minimize an app, Android puts it in hibernate state. It leaves a small foot print for the app to be woken up when you go back to it. If you leave it hibernated long enough, Android caches the app into a tiny file so it can grab when you go back to it so it doesn't take so long to start it back up. All of this is transparent to the user. What Clean Master does is wake up these hibernated/cached apps and calculates how much memory they would take if in their wake state and then kills them making it look like they miraculously saved you all this memory. Problem is, they use so much power to do that, they suck more power than just leaving them in their hibernated/cached state. Worse, when you do want to use that app later, it has to do a full restart of the app. Keep in mind, apps are small because they use other apps to do some of their work. So Clean Master goes and kills those too because your apps had ties to those others apps. Long term, your phone actually slows down and the battery doesn't last as long.

Storage Manager sounds like a great app, but it uses a portion of the Clean Master code and no one know what that means. That link above explains a few other links that have developers actually write apps that do nothing but what they should do.

Here's my advice if you don't want to read all this. Search the store for apps like Clean Master and read what the app accesses. If it accesses contacts, location, etc. don't install it. An app monitor should never, ever need a data/wi-fi connection or your location or your facebook friends list or anything social. Good luck!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Never been one to install battery saver apps and memory cleaning apps as they just take up space

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Clean Master was actually a pretty good app. It made my Z3 faster everytime I ran it
For a few minutes, at the expense of eating battery. Clean Master is a great concept for Windows. Android works exactly the opposite way that Windows does, and keeping RAM free is a very bad idea. (So says one of the people who wrote the code, and as a systems designer with over 40 years of experience, I don't argue with the person who wrote it - Multitasking the Android Way.) If Cheetah knows so little about how Android works, I wouldn't let any of their apps near my phone. (Greenify does a much better job, and it does it the right way.)

I was typing when alarinn posted, but if you want confirmation of what he said, read Dianne Hackborn's article that I linked to above. She says about the same thing in different terms.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
For a few minutes, at the expense of eating battery. Clean Master is a great concept for Windows. Android works exactly the opposite way that Windows does, and keeping RAM free is a very bad idea. (So says one of the people who wrote the code, and as a systems designer with over 40 years of experience, I don't argue with the person who wrote it - Multitasking the Android Way.) If Cheetah knows so little about how Android works, I wouldn't let any of their apps near my phone. (Greenify does a much better job, and it does it the right way.)

I installed Greenify one time, but I really don't understand how it works. It "hibernates" apps but I installed it and honestly not sure if it would be useful unless my phone was rooted.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I see Smart Manager in the list of apps but no where else on the device. Now that Verizon has taken the use of it away, how do we clear memory and such like we did in the past by holding down the home button or the multitask button?

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I see a lot of people mentioning that it's basically Clean Master in disguise but every time I use it it seems really integrated into the whole TouchWiz experience. Every option available just takes you to the built in Android trackers. There is really nothing gimmicky about it.

Kinda handy if you ask me. 😶

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 67.jpg
    67.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 68.jpg
    68.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 69.jpg
    69.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 70.jpg
    70.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 157

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I see a lot of people mentioning that it's basically Clean Master in disguise but every time I use it it seems really integrated into the whole TouchWiz experience. Every option available just takes you to the built in Android trackers. There is really nothing gimmicky about it.

Kinda handy if you ask me. 😶

You can't see it because it IS integrated. Take a little closer at the ram booster section. See that little print that says "powered by Cleanmaster "?

Everyone is right though, it is junkware. But those of you saying they're glad att removed it, just keep in mind that because they removed all of the Smart Manager that means they also removed the battery saver features. That's not good.

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
See that little print that says "powered by Cleanmaster "?

Call me crazy but I'm not seeing any mention of Cleanmaster anywhere. Am I not looking in the right place?

I did just look at the permissions the app has, and holy cow.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
You can't see it because it IS integrated. Take a little closer at the ram booster section. See that little print that says "powered by Cleanmaster "?

Everyone is right though, it is junkware. But those of you saying they're glad att removed it, just keep in mind that because they removed all of the Smart Manager that means they also removed the battery saver features. That's not good.

What power saving modes did they remove? Power Saver and Ultra Power Saver are present on my AT&T S6.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Call me crazy but I'm not seeing any mention of Cleanmaster anywhere. Am I not looking in the right place?

I did just look at the permissions the app has, and holy cow.

Sorry my bad it's in Storage. Look again at your 3rd screenshot

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Are you accessing it from Smart Manager or device settings? If it's still there that's good news

Device settings. I'm pretty sure both, or at least power saver, are baked into Android as part of Project Volta so the carriers can't yank power saver out. Ultra power saver is a manufacturer thing I think.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Device settings. I'm pretty sure both, or at least power saver, are baked into Android as part of Project Volta so the carriers can't yank power saver out. Ultra power saver is a manufacturer thing I think.
Yeah, it's the ultra that's manufacturer. Ok that's cool, thx for the heads up, guess att only removed the crapware 😃

Walders

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
This thing is seriously bugging me. Every day when I'm using Google Maps to navigate, I get huge notification messages every five minutes or so at inopportune moments asking if I want to delete unwanted data. The notification message completely covers the screen. There is no way to disable notifications or select don't ask me again for this. I don't see the messages at any other time than when I'm using Goggle Maps.

mlemos89

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Settings>storage>cache>delete. There you basically did what clean master is good for without needing a garbage app.

mlemos89

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, it had app optimizer built in which I wanted. It's powered by classmaster but designed by Samsung, no different then a Nexus being made by a manufacturer, it's still Google.

bjelleybean

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Since this isn't true I will give this user the benefit of the doubt and try to be gentle. This utility offers functionality and more security than any of the commercial versions that promise this functionality. The use of the word 'bloat' to describe everything that you don't understand is just naivete and not actually useful to users seeking information. This app can and will clear temp files and clutter from your device which is something you should do with caution - backups are always recommended, but this is not a malicious app, nor is it useless, it is merely a useful utility that Samsung began including last year that isn't completely understood by the aluminum foil hat crowd.

Have a great day!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech