How to turn off or adjust capacitive (hardware) button lights on the S6/S6E

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, but I believe that these instructions should work on the S6 as well. On the Note 4, there was an option to adjust the Capacitive buttons lights - always on, always off, 1.5, and 6 seconds. On the S6, this option was removed from some variants (I believe that the AT&T version still has this option). If your phone doesn't have this option, then you can change the capacitive button light settings through ADB.

1. If you haven't done so, you will need to set up SDK on the PC/Mac first:
Installing the Android SDK for Windows, Mac and Linux: A tutorial | Android Central

2. Enable Developer options by going into settings-about phone,and press on the Build Number 7 times.

3. Plug in the phone into the computer. Wait until the phone is recognized in the File Explorer (in Windows 8 on the Metro Screen, type "File Explorer", and select it). It should say Samsung-SM-G925V (or similar) in File Exporer

3. Go to Settings-Developer options, and enable USB debugging. A pop up menu will prompt you if you want the computer access, so select "Yes".

4. Go to the Command Prompt(in Windows 8 on the metro screen, tpye "command prompt", and select it) and type "ADB devices". You should see a device connected.

5. On the Command Line, Type "adb shell settings put system button_key_light 0" to disable capacitive lights.

The options are:

"adb shell settings put system button_key_light 0" -> always disable the capacitive button lights
"adb shell settings put system button_key_light -1" -> always enable the capacitive button lights
"adb shell settings put system button_key_light 1500" -> always disable the capacitive button lights after 1.5 seconds
"adb shell settings put system button_key_light 6000" -> always disable the capacitive button lights after 6.0 seconds
"adb shell settings get system button_key_light" -> get the current setting (standard: 1500, ie. 1.5 seconds)

Credit to sander761 of XDA:

adb fix for capacitive buttons - Post #12 - XDA Forums

barberrider1

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
In command prompt, I am getting the error message "ADB devices is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Edit: used the app, it works great! Thanks!

IrateSalt

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site
Averix ... I'm assuming you used the Samsung libraries for Galaxy when you wrote this app. Do you know if there is any good API documentation Like This for these libraries? I am interested in developing for the Galaxy but am having issues finding good documentation.

Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae