04-23-2017 03:20 PM
81 1234
tools
    Most do. For the ones that don't, won't be updated and are still needed, some way of getting to the menu is needed. Fortunately, the menu key is still interpreted by some of them as the menu key.
    The fact that I used the S2 for two years and the S4 for 18 months and have no idea what anyone is talking about when they mention a menu key should show that Samsung obviously had a reason for removing this feature. A recent apps menu is MUCH more usable, relevant and helpful for this button. Not only that but from what I read in this thread Samsung was the only company that even had the menu button so I don't know what people think they will use instead
    08-17-2015 01:46 AM
    As I just mentioned elsewhere, can you imagine if Microsoft decided the right-click on the mouse should no longer be a context-sensitive menu, but a list of recently opened software?

Because if you're used to the menu key, thats exactly what it's like to find it replaced with "recents".
    DawnW likes this.
    08-17-2015 01:47 PM
    There is no such icon/symbol on my Wattsapp installation.
    That is an issue with Whatsapp then -- not the phone or software. Google has made it pretty well known they want the 3-dot menu in all their apps. I would contact the devs and let them know.
    08-17-2015 01:52 PM
    As I just mentioned elsewhere, can you imagine if Microsoft decided the right-click on the mouse should no longer be a context-sensitive menu, but a list of recently opened software?

Because if you're used to the menu key, thats exactly what it's like to find it replaced with "recents".
    It's called learning new technology. Which is the way of the world. Technology is ALWAYS changing
    08-17-2015 06:47 PM
    I agree about the menu key. You need that in Comcast email to select all and delete! Huge for me.
    DawnW likes this.
    09-04-2015 09:26 AM
    I had the s4 for a long time and I activated my new s6 last night. I love the s6 so much but I noticed I really miss the menu key which they replaced with a recent apps key in the s5 and the s6. Anyone else experience this when they switched to the s6 (or the s5)? Any hidden tricks to help me? How long did it take you to adjust?

I found the solution to this problem guys yaayy

I have the all new Samsung Galaxy s6 edge plus and I was having the same issue. I hated the fact there is no dedicated menu key on Samsung phones anymore.

But I worked my magic around to find the hidden solution.

All you have to do is simply "press and hold the BACK key" and then magic menu options will appear.

I knew Samsung wouldn't just completely get rid of the so important menu key.

Now just thank me guys for making your life easier
    09-09-2015 07:40 PM
    I think the decision to change the menu button for for a damn app-switcher is a baaaaad choice. Changing apps by longpressing home was working just fine, but now the menu does NOT!
    I've heard several statements that you only use the three-dot-menu and the problem is solved, but that really doesn't work for all apps. The menu button DID! Vire Launcher is one good example (and probably more launchers). How the hell do you open up the menu for a launcher from the home screen when the menu button is gone? There is no three-dot-meny-button in the top left corner on the homescreen The answer is - You just can't since long pressing the back button does nothing at all I don't know what version of Android or S6 the people have that states that this works!?
    As I said... This was a very bad decision by Samsung!!! At least they could have made the app-switcher-button configurable so that we who don't use app-switching all the time could choose to keep the menu function... :/
    DawnW likes this.
    09-10-2015 04:38 AM
    I agree with the complainers. I used my menu button all the time! And while the primary app I need it on is just a game (that's where I go to "restart" once I lose), it doesn't have the 3 buttons, swiping any direction doesn't do anything, and holding the back button short or long just asks if I want to quit. It was so easy to multitasking by long-holding the home button, to do away with the versatility of the menu button is idiotic.

I wouldn't have upgraded, but with the Lollipop download, my S4 kept saying it was having space issues and I had to delete one or two apps every week... after almost 2 months of this, I had to upgrade because I couldn't get an S4 with more memory and the stuff I used wouldn't save to the memory card, just the hard drive (apps, books in Audible, Android).
    09-14-2015 01:09 PM
    This is false. I have an s4 running lollipop. The only way to get the recent apps is to long press the physical home button
    10-15-2015 08:20 PM
    I found the solution to this problem guys yaayy

I have the all new Samsung Galaxy s6 edge plus and I was having the same issue. I hated the fact there is no dedicated menu key on Samsung phones anymore.

But I worked my magic around to find the hidden solution.

All you have to do is simply "press and hold the BACK key" and then magic menu options will appear.

I knew Samsung wouldn't just completely get rid of the so important menu key.

Now just thank me guys for making your life easier
    This is strange because long pressing the back button opens my dual-window mode. Long pressing menu from the home screens brings up Google now, and long pressing the physical home button gives me the recent apps page.

Strange that it's changed so much considering the back and home buttons haven't changed...
    10-15-2015 08:25 PM
    Well, I have to disagree with the folks who say the menu button is not needed. I have apps that don't have a menu option - and I know the developer should fix it. However, if they don't and it's an app I use and like, I don't want all the hassle of finding a replacement.

I've just switched to the S5 from my venerable S2 and the change certainly confused me - how am I supposed to work out what Google have done? Not very user friendly. I guess there must be a 'read me' for the updates somewhere.
    10-22-2015 03:34 AM
    If all Samsung/Google apps comes with tree-button-menu. Where is it in memo?
    Iยดve searched all over to find how to access "settings" "inport/export" i memos.
    No luck. Very frustrating.

Can someone please help me export memo from my Samsung Galaxy S6?

Miss the menu-button.
    10-24-2015 10:44 AM
    I had the s4 for a long time and I activated my new s6 last night. I love the s6 so much but I noticed I really miss the menu key which they replaced with a recent apps key in the s5 and the s6. Anyone else experience this when they switched to the s6 (or the s5)? Any hidden tricks to help me? How long did it take you to adjust?
    Long press the back button
    10-26-2015 11:11 PM

OK so I have the S6 Edge system on my note 3 and I was looking for an answer. Not sure if anybody answered but the menu key is hidden within the "Back" button this time. You can thank me later ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    11-06-2015 04:25 AM
    I've had it for a couple weeks and still have not gotten used to it. I have apps that do not have built in menu buttons. So now I have to just deal with the lack of options of settings in those apps. Still wish we could customize the button, though.
    11-11-2015 08:44 PM
    Found this on another thread, hopefully will same somebody some time, this worked perfectly on my s6
    if I go into Settings / Accessibility / Dexterity I can activate something called the Assistant Menu that adds a handy floating box to the screen. The box contains navigation buttons and shortcuts such as Menu, Back, Screenshot etc.
    12-12-2015 08:05 AM
    Found this on another thread, hopefully will same somebody some time, this worked perfectly on my s6
    if I go into Settings / Accessibility / Dexterity I can activate something called the Assistant Menu that adds a handy floating box to the screen. The box contains navigation buttons and shortcuts such as Menu, Back, Screenshot etc.
    Vladimir, thanks a lot!!

I'd been looking for a solution to some older apps that still don't have the "new" embedded menu with 3 dots that apparently became standard now.

These older apps most likely are never getting another update (unique old games emulator apps, for example), and their basic functionalities are heavily dependent on the menu button options, so I was really in trouble when I changed my GS2 to the new GS5 Neo.

Most of the comments anywhere were completely useless like "oh, you'll get used to it", or "why do you need a menu button nowadays?".
    I wonder why people actually post comments like this..

Anyway, you nailed the solution!
    The Assitant Menu at Accessibility / Dexterity shows a floating box which includes a virtual menu button with all the good old menu options from each single app.
    You saved me here!
    Thanks a lot once again!
    12-14-2015 10:23 AM
    I've registered on this forum just to say "Thank You Vladimir. Your solution was really useful."

On my Samsung J5 with 5.1.1, I could never access to the settings of Acrobits Softphone to configure the SIP account without the 3 dots menu. The "long press on back button" simply asked me if I wanted to exit the app. It is just too bad that I had to read a lot of useless comments until I reach the solution on page 3.
    03-18-2016 10:30 AM
    On S7 you long press the back button and the app menu comes up what you are missing. On S6... I couldn't find a way bringing it up. Annoying as some old but useful apps don't have menu buttons.
    06-16-2016 03:01 PM
    There's something very relevant and important missing from this thread so far: the fix/workaround for this problem (or, alternatively, a timeline as to when will one be implemented).

Special note: the problem is that pressing the menu key fills the screen with a useless list instead of a opening a useful, context sensitive menu. Workarounds that provide that context sensitive menu in other ways (like tapping something in-app, long pressing the back key or bringing up a new icon that permanently covers a part of your screen) are not relevant since they still leave the menu key as a detriment to the use of my device instead of a benefit.

How can we fix the menu button such that pressing it opens a context sensitive menu instead of filling the screen with a useless list? If we cannot currently do so, when will we be able to?
    01-18-2017 01:25 PM
    There's something very relevant and important missing from this thread so far: the fix/workaround for this problem (or, alternatively, a timeline as to when will one be implemented).

Special note: the problem is that pressing the menu key fills the screen with a useless list instead of a opening a useful, context sensitive menu. Workarounds that provide that context sensitive menu in other ways (like tapping something in-app, long pressing the back key or bringing up a new icon that permanently covers a part of your screen) are not relevant since they still leave the menu key as a detriment to the use of my device instead of a benefit.

How can we fix the menu button such that pressing it opens a context sensitive menu instead of filling the screen with a useless list? If we cannot currently do so, when will we be able to?
    See response in your other thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ea-broken.html. The button you're tapping is almost certainly the Recent Apps button -- it's not longer the Menu button.
    01-18-2017 05:33 PM
    See response in your other thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ea-broken.html. The button you're tapping is almost certainly the Recent Apps button -- it's no longer the Menu button.
    I responded to the other thread. In short: I appreciate the clarification of terms and names of things very much, but it's, unfortunately, not helpful. The problem is still there and a fix for it is desired, not more information on why or how it exists.
    01-18-2017 08:52 PM
    as Diddy said that's not a problem or a fault with your phone. that's how it was designed and that's how it works. it takes some time to get used to it i know that myself as i had an s4 before the s6 but you will get used to it.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-19-2017 06:55 AM
    Oh. It's that way by design? That seems very unintuitive. Oh well, I guess that means I should be asking a slightly different question.

How can one change their preferences such that the Recent Apps button opens a context sensitive menu instead of filling the screen with a list of open apps?
    01-19-2017 12:30 PM
    See your other thread for a good suggestion from Javier P. Also, another option would be a 3rd party solution, like Menu Button.
    01-19-2017 01:28 PM
81 1234