04-23-2017 03:20 PM
81 ... 234
tools
    I responded to the other thread. In short: I appreciate the workarounds for more consistently accessing the context sensitive menu, but they don't fix the problem that the Recent Apps button fills the screen with a list of open apps instead of opening it.
    01-19-2017 02:54 PM
    It's not a problem, because the Recent Apps button is doing what it's designed to do. I find that the Recent Apps list is useful when I want to switch quickly between two apps. For example, let's say I'm entering an address into a text, but I don't remember it off the top of my head. Tap the Recent Apps list, scroll to the Contacts app (which, if I was just using it, is just one or two apps above the texting app I just paused), tap it to switch to it, and look up the address. Copy and paste it, then tap Recent Apps, scroll back to the texting app, tap it, and the incomplete message is still there. Paste the address, then send.

There is no need for a hard Menu button, because a menu button will always be onscreen when a menu is available to be accessed. That's why you never see a capacitative Menu button any more with more recent phones.
    01-19-2017 04:42 PM
    I managed to find an app, Buttons Remapper, that offers this functionality. It requires a little more set up that I can't quite figure out (I've sent an email to the developer about it) to get it to work exactly as I want it, but it's already been able to make it such that the recent apps button does nothing instead of filling my screen with a useless list - this is already a big step up.

Huzzah for an actual solution instead of people trying (and failing) to convince others that this problem isn't a problem just because they prefer it that way!
    01-19-2017 05:32 PM
    I had such high hopes for buttons remapper, but sadly I'd need to root my phone to bring up the context menu via that app.

I'm also side-eyeing some of the shade here. I get that this is a design feature, but for older apps it can be a problem. Right now some of my friends mainly communicate through plurk. now the official app is what we'd call "a hot mess", with there being no landscape mode and ads are sprinkled through like a seasoning. So for the past two years I've been using a samsung alpha and plurka, and it's worked out well. Problem though, the upgrade to a samsung 7 meant I lost the long-press menu key, which would be fine normally because long-press on the back key brings that up. Little issue though, in plurka, the back key is hard-tied to exiting the program, so a long press just gets a confused "you sure you want to exit?" message. Hooray! because of this feature, I can't use the only semi-functioning program for this service. That's exactly what I needed in my life.

"what about contacting the developer?" You say. Well, if their last update wasn't in 2013 then that might be a possibility, but it isn't. This is a thing with small indie programs, they're passion projects that eventually get left by the wayside. in larger arenas you'd get something replacing it, but not here. No the option is "use a workaround that places an additional overlay on the screen that doesn't even stay in one place when the screen rotates".

I shouldn't have to root my phone for this basic functionality, i shouldn't have to risk bricking my phone for this basic functionality. I don't think it's so bad to ask for something that works in a backward-comparable way, right?
    02-17-2017 11:26 PM
    have you guys seriously not figured out you only need to hold in the BACK button to get menu ?
    02-28-2017 04:30 PM
    For my phone holding the back button does not open up the menu. I also have found to answer regarding if you can switch the S6 button layout (bottom physical button and the two either side of it) back to the original S4 layout? Is there any way to do so? I really hate it and want to immediately change out, especially since most of the apps I use do not have the 3 dot in app menu system. I have activated the dexterity help button but having it on the screen at all times is very annoying.

I also don't care if I have to root my phone to fix the buttons.

Summary: Holding back button does nothing/Is there anyway to change button layout from S6 to S4?
    04-23-2017 03:20 PM
81 ... 234