From the s4 to the s6 - miss the menu key

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I had the s4 for a long time and I activated my new s6 last night. I love the s6 so much but I noticed I really miss the menu key which they replaced with a recent apps key in the s5 and the s6. Anyone else experience this when they switched to the s6 (or the s5)? Any hidden tricks to help me? How long did it take you to adjust?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Give it a week and you'll never remember why you wanted or needed a menu key.

When the S4 first came out, it was worth having a menu key as only half of the apps you used had an overflow menu button on your app. Today, almost everything has converted over to the new menu button so now your recent apps button makes sense and I use it often.

I'm sure in time you'll feel the same way. Now to get used to the volume buttons being higher them in used too. lol

Posted via the Android Central App

pixeline

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
re:

On the S5 you have to long press the menue/recent key to get menue. Maybe it also goes for the S6 ... worth a try :)

pix

Swyped ✔

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
re:

Just tried, it opened up mult -window mode

Yep, the recent button also does multi-window if you long press it.
But with 99% of apps having a menu overflow button on them, I'm baffled as to why you want a menu button on the S6.
In fact, I don't even know of a flagship device that will have a menu button coming out this year. It's no longer needed.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
re:

It's funny, coming from the S4 I thought I was doing something wrong with my phone trying to get the menu to open. Realized they replaced the menu button with the recent apps button. Taking some getting used to, but I guess I can live with it.

J

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

I would definitely miss the Menu button from my Note 3. I knew it was on the S5 long press.
I tried an S6 in store but I guess I don't remember. Samsung put a lot of useful features on the Menu for Gallery, Messages etc and apps. Now I guess they have to load everything on the overflow buttons.
Less Samsung - more stock, boring, tedious vanilla Android like my Moto G.

They didn't have to put multi windows on the left key, I would use it less on an S6 than the larger Note 3.

They took a wrong turn from the S5 on, though I liked the S5 Touchwiz otherwise.
Sob!

EMY92

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
re:

After you update the S4 to Lollipop, the menu key becomes the recently used app key.

Unfortunately, Lollipop didn't work well with Touchwiz on my S4 so I'm running Nova for the next couple of weeks until I upgrade to the S6. I guess I'll have a little less difficulty in the transition.

Eli Winkelman

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
re:

Well I'm trying to get into the whatsapp menu so I can enable whatsapp web. I can't figure out how to do that on the S6 without going through a menu button. Do you know?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

Well I'm trying to get into the whatsapp menu so I can enable whatsapp web. I can't figure out how to do that on the S6 without going through a menu button. Do you know?
Welcome to Android Central.

I don't have Lollipop yet, or WhatsApp. You should either have 3 vertical dots, called an overflow menu, or like many newer apps: maybe swipe a vertical bar in from the left/right side where there may be a settings option.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
re:

I had the s4 for a long time and I activated my new s6 last night. I love the s6 so much but I noticed I really miss the menu key which they replaced with a recent apps key in the s5 and the s6. Anyone else experience this when they switched to the s6 (or the s5)? Any hidden tricks to help me? How long did it take you to adjust?

AGREED! It was driving me crazy. I couldn't figure out why the"recent apps" physical button didn't bring up menus until I did a little googling around and found out Samsung did away with it. Stupidest idea ever Sammy! I really loved that button. If anyone knows how to add that in please let us know.

Mr_Bugman

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
re:

I also came from the S4 to the S6. I'm still training myself on the new function of that button spot but I can say after a few days I am starting to like the change. It makes more sense and I'm down to a handful of times a day hitting it by mistake.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
re:

I also came from the S4 and missed the Menu key at first. I'm on day 5 with the S6 and I've basically adjusted to it already.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

I was a little worried, but I am asured the Note 3 will retain the original menu key after Lollipop, from those who updated.
Strange that the S4 is different.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

You will adjust. This is due to Google wanting menus in-app (the three dots) so .. they figured it would be better to have that button be the app manager :).

Gridit

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
re:

I understand that progress dictates certain things go away, but what about apps that have not yet figured out how to embed a menu key? I just got my S 6 yesterday and one of my favorite podcast apps is not allowing me to login so the content I pay for is inaccessible. there must be some combination of buttons or a shortcut that will allow me to login.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

Upgrading from the GS4 was very quick. Once you go through it once, you may have an ah ha moment. After that, you won't miss it.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae