04-23-2017 03:20 PM
81 123 ...
tools
    I had the s4 for a long time and I activated my new s6 last night. I love the s6 so much but I noticed I really miss the menu key which they replaced with a recent apps key in the s5 and the s6. Anyone else experience this when they switched to the s6 (or the s5)? Any hidden tricks to help me? How long did it take you to adjust?
    04-12-2015 10:36 AM
    Give it a week and you'll never remember why you wanted or needed a menu key.

When the S4 first came out, it was worth having a menu key as only half of the apps you used had an overflow menu button on your app. Today, almost everything has converted over to the new menu button so now your recent apps button makes sense and I use it often.

I'm sure in time you'll feel the same way. Now to get used to the volume buttons being higher them in used too. lol

Posted via the Android Central App
    wrmoore47 and Rocketsaucev2 like this.
    04-12-2015 10:54 AM
    On the S5 you have to long press the menue/recent key to get menue. Maybe it also goes for the S6 ... worth a try

pix

Swyped ✔
    filbert42 likes this.
    04-12-2015 10:54 AM
    On the S5 you have to long press the menue/recent key to get menue. Maybe it also goes for the S6 ... worth a try

pix

Swyped ✔

Just tried, it opened up mult -window mode
    bigglyguy likes this.
    04-12-2015 11:04 PM
    Just tried, it opened up mult -window mode
    Yep, the recent button also does multi-window if you long press it.
    But with 99% of apps having a menu overflow button on them, I'm baffled as to why you want a menu button on the S6.
    In fact, I don't even know of a flagship device that will have a menu button coming out this year. It's no longer needed.

04-13-2015 12:10 AM
    It's funny, coming from the S4 I thought I was doing something wrong with my phone trying to get the menu to open. Realized they replaced the menu button with the recent apps button. Taking some getting used to, but I guess I can live with it.

J
    04-13-2015 08:52 AM
    I would definitely miss the Menu button from my Note 3. I knew it was on the S5 long press.
    I tried an S6 in store but I guess I don't remember. Samsung put a lot of useful features on the Menu for Gallery, Messages etc and apps. Now I guess they have to load everything on the overflow buttons.
    Less Samsung - more stock, boring, tedious vanilla Android like my Moto G.

They didn't have to put multi windows on the left key, I would use it less on an S6 than the larger Note 3.

They took a wrong turn from the S5 on, though I liked the S5 Touchwiz otherwise.
    Sob!
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    04-13-2015 10:23 AM
    After you update the S4 to Lollipop, the menu key becomes the recently used app key.

Unfortunately, Lollipop didn't work well with Touchwiz on my S4 so I'm running Nova for the next couple of weeks until I upgrade to the S6. I guess I'll have a little less difficulty in the transition.
    04-13-2015 10:49 AM
    Coming from the S3 I've hit the recent app button faithfully to access menus.
    bigglyguy likes this.
    04-14-2015 11:20 AM
    Well I'm trying to get into the whatsapp menu so I can enable whatsapp web. I can't figure out how to do that on the S6 without going through a menu button. Do you know?
    bigglyguy likes this.
    04-14-2015 11:31 AM
    Well I'm trying to get into the whatsapp menu so I can enable whatsapp web. I can't figure out how to do that on the S6 without going through a menu button. Do you know?
    Welcome to Android Central.

I don't have Lollipop yet, or WhatsApp. You should either have 3 vertical dots, called an overflow menu, or like many newer apps: maybe swipe a vertical bar in from the left/right side where there may be a settings option.
    04-14-2015 11:41 AM
    I had the s4 for a long time and I activated my new s6 last night. I love the s6 so much but I noticed I really miss the menu key which they replaced with a recent apps key in the s5 and the s6. Anyone else experience this when they switched to the s6 (or the s5)? Any hidden tricks to help me? How long did it take you to adjust?
    AGREED! It was driving me crazy. I couldn't figure out why the"recent apps" physical button didn't bring up menus until I did a little googling around and found out Samsung did away with it. Stupidest idea ever Sammy! I really loved that button. If anyone knows how to add that in please let us know.

Inders99 and bigglyguy like this.
    04-14-2015 11:50 AM
    I also came from the S4 to the S6. I'm still training myself on the new function of that button spot but I can say after a few days I am starting to like the change. It makes more sense and I'm down to a handful of times a day hitting it by mistake.
    04-14-2015 11:57 AM
    I also came from the S4 and missed the Menu key at first. I'm on day 5 with the S6 and I've basically adjusted to it already.
    04-14-2015 12:00 PM
    I was a little worried, but I am asured the Note 3 will retain the original menu key after Lollipop, from those who updated.
    Strange that the S4 is different.
    04-14-2015 12:12 PM
    You will adjust. This is due to Google wanting menus in-app (the three dots) so .. they figured it would be better to have that button be the app manager .
    04-14-2015 12:20 PM
    You will adjust. This is due to Google wanting menus in-app (the three dots) so .. they figured it would be better to have that button be the app manager .
    They are wrong. Well... IMO anyway lol.

04-14-2015 12:22 PM
    They are wrong. Well... IMO anyway lol.

Well it would just be redundant to have a hardware button pretty much tap the 3 dot menu on your screen since most apps have this now a days.
    04-14-2015 12:23 PM
    I understand that progress dictates certain things go away, but what about apps that have not yet figured out how to embed a menu key? I just got my S 6 yesterday and one of my favorite podcast apps is not allowing me to login so the content I pay for is inaccessible. there must be some combination of buttons or a shortcut that will allow me to login.
    bigglyguy likes this.
    04-23-2015 09:45 AM
    Upgrading from the GS4 was very quick. Once you go through it once, you may have an ah ha moment. After that, you won't miss it.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    04-23-2015 12:33 PM
    Whatsapp does indeed have the "3 dots"/hamburger button, so you should not have any loss of functionality.

Coming from an S3, it took me a couple days of heavy use to get pretty used to the left button bringing up recent apps instead of menu. Seems like a better use of a dedicated button to me.
    04-23-2015 02:39 PM
    You get used to it. Becomes no biggie. I've been through all the S series.
    04-23-2015 07:20 PM
    I hate having to look around for the three dots, or be on the correct screen to find them.
    I didn't even have to think about it when I had a menu key. I suppose the iPhone doesn't have a menu key either, so it must be a good idea!
    While we're at it, lets get rid of the 'back' key too.
    bigglyguy likes this.
    05-01-2015 01:55 AM
    I hate having to look around for the three dots, or be on the correct screen to find them.
    I didn't even have to think about it when I had a menu key. I suppose the iPhone doesn't have a menu key either, so it must be a good idea!
    While we're at it, lets get rid of the 'back' key to.
    Might as well get an iPhone then

Took me all of a day to get used to the Menu function being replaced by Recent Apps.
    05-01-2015 06:30 AM
    While we're at it, lets get rid of the 'back' key too.
    That wouldn't make sense to get rid of it. It made sense to get rid of the menu button since Google is going away from that due to all apps having the "..." button for the menu.. So it made more sense to have a button do something useful versus just pressing something that is already on screen for you.
    05-01-2015 11:17 AM
81 123 ...