Battery life not all that bad

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Do you have location services turned on?
What about VoLTE?

Posted via the Android Central App

Location is set to WiFi and Mobile Networks (battery saver). High accuracy is only useful if you need GPS so that gets turned on only when needed. VoLTE is always on.

Had I not fallen asleep listening/watching the AC podcast last night on YouTube, I would have been able to add screens with 6:10-6:20 hours on screen time for yesterday. Battery died before I woke up.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Location is set to WiFi and Mobile Networks (battery saver). High accuracy is only useful if you need GPS so that gets turned on only when needed. VoLTE is always on.

Had I not fallen asleep listening/watching the AC podcast last night on YouTube, I would have been able to add screens with 6:10-6:20 hours on screen time for yesterday. Battery died before I woke up.

Do you ever sleep? It seems that you were on late last night when I posted my Defender review on YouTube.

It would seem that SOT is getting better with each charge cycle. This should be more than enough to convince anyone who is still on the fence to put battery life a little lower on their list of concerns. It is also looking like a good design choice by Samsung in light of the improved performance and efficiency of the device.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Do you ever sleep? It seems that you were on late last night when I posted my Defender review on YouTube.

It would seem that SOT is getting better with each charge cycle. This should be more than enough to convince anyone who is still on the fence to put battery life a little lower on their list of concerns. It is also looking like a good design choice by Samsung in light of the improved performance and efficiency of the device.

Ha, yes I do. Unfortunately fell asleep before I could grab screens last night. This battery has been a consistent performer so far for me. Kudos to Samsung for making the hardware efficient enough to handle a smaller capacity like this.

Have to wonder how impressive these internals will be with a 3500 mah battery later this year.

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I wish I was getting these. My ATT version has the wifi activity problem. It's always the highest usage according to GSam. Usually 50%. I've tried every setting too. I'm afraid this may have to go back and I'll wait to see what the G4 has instore

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I wish I was getting these. My ATT version has the wifi activity problem. It's always the highest usage according to GSam. Usually 50%. I've tried every setting too. I'm afraid this may have to go back and I'll wait to see what the G4 has instore

That's a shame hopefully a update will occur to fix that before you have to give up on this wonderful device!

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

I've experienced the same my 1st charge got almost 4hrs sot, now after 5 days I'm getting closer to 5h 30min sot

kyle.brown

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried turning off Wifi-Scanning? I was getting crazy high stand by usage since i turned that off and VoLTE mine is working like a champ.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I was out with my wife all day last Saturday, she has a S5. We left the house around noon both at 100%. Out all day with about similar usage..FB, texts, web browsing etc. We got home around 10pm her battery was at 20% mine was 41%. Needless to say im satisfied with my S6 battery life.

kcguy76

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I've experienced the same my 1st charge got almost 4hrs sot, now after 5 days I'm getting closer to 5h 30min sot

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge??????(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

Would you mind sharing what you have turned off or restricted in order to get this? I ask because I'm having the opposite problem with battery life and can't figure out the culprit....Thanks! :)

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping my battery life gets better. On average I'm seeing less than 4 hours Screen On Time, and I'm not even working it nearly as hard as I was working my S4. So far, Google Play Services is consistently the biggest drain.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping my battery life gets better. On average I'm seeing less than 4 hours Screen On Time, and I'm not even working it nearly as hard as I was working my S4. So far, Google Play Services is consistently the biggest drain.

Go to Settings- Applications-Application Manager-ALL and look for Google Services Framework and Google Play Services and Clear Cache and Force Stop both of them.

On my OnePlus One, since latest update, there were some Google Play Services related apps giving me issues, the one that I know was the most to blame for was Google Fit, but I needed it so I kept it, but needed to deal with it Force Stopping Google Play services and Services Framework after every reboot otherwise it would drain the battery a lot faster.

So, in your case I'd suggest going app by app (Google Play services related) and see which one may be causing it.

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This phone Rocks! my batt life is outstanding and charges super fast! I dont think Ive had a phone that has had a better battery life. Even my old MAXX's

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The Cell Standby is sucking about 1/3 of my battery life away... WTF is that??

You should take a look at the thread I created about Tips and Tricks (look for it at this forum or look on my user's posts) and follow some or all my suggestions, beginning with Wiping the cache in recovery Mode, and if after a day or so it won't get better then get a replacement.

I'm getting over 5.5 hours of Screen On Time, and I unplugged mine yesterday at 8:30am going for 28 hours already with 4 hours of SoT and I'm at still at 20% battery, last night I didn't charge it and when I went to sleep it was at 54%, today I woke up at 51%, so it just drained 3% overnight with all my accounts syncing as normal.

naviman1

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
How do I turn off wi-fi scanning? I can see a wi-fi option called 'Always allow scanning' but the only options in it are 'Scan always' or 'Scan only while Wi-Fi is on". It doesn't seem like there's an option to turn it off completely?

I'm in the UK btw.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
My battery life for the S6 is a definite upgrade from the Nexus 5 battery.

Right there with you man, I'm getting almost 5 hours SoT and much more usability compared the my Nexus 5. I'm very pleased so far.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Day 2 of my phone I got 5 hours 23 minutes of SoT with 18 hours total battery from 100% to dead. I had turned off location services and it seemed to add an hour to my previous day. I think I'll leave location on though since around 4 hours SoT is good enough for me.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Would you mind sharing what you have turned off or restricted in order to get this? I ask because I'm having the opposite problem with battery life and can't figure out the culprit....Thanks! :)

I have the black theme on tw. I deleted Facebook and Facebook messenger, eBay, yahoo mail, AOL mail, Amazon and all other shopping apps and just bookmarked them on chrome and added the bookmark to my home screen and use the mobile Web for them (works just as well as the apps). This stops those apps from continuing to ping the battery for location, notification and advertising. I turned off wifi smart network switch, put location on location method, wifi and mobile networks. I turned off LTE and just have my network set to CDMA (Sprint) there's no need for LTE unless your streaming or downloading, other then that it's hogging battery. That's pretty much everything and trust me it seems like alot but it has not negatively effected my experience. Unless you need push notifications for your email or Facebook or eBay it shouldn't effect yours either. Hope this helps. Here's my averages.

Attachments

• 3485.jpg
    3485.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 40

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Wow...you guys are sure willing to give up a lot of the features of your smartphone in the name of an extra hour of battery. I think my S6 is a fantastic phone other than battery life which is mediocre, at best, but I'm not willing to shut down half of the features of my phone to manage my battery life and lose functionality in the meantime to tweak out that extra time you guys do. I guess you guys enjoy doing that so not judging but at least to me, it's sort of ridiculous.

Not trying to flame, but you guys should really evaluate an iPhone 6 Plus as a comparison. You can keep every single feature on, never worry about managing your battery life, drain only about 1% overnight and have a solid 8+ hours of SoT, sometimes as much as 10 hours.

Apple has its share of issues and frustrations (system overly locked down, for sure), but they have absolutely nailed how to manage battery life efficiently so the user doesn't have to give it a second thought. Same is true for my Lumia 1520 and even Blackberry. Before rejoining the Android world with my S6, I truly thought those days were well behind me but coming back after a few years feels like a battery management time warp for me - nothing, at all, has changed in all that time.

My suspicion is that (other than people who visit these Forums) most people would prefer to actually use their phones, in full, and not spend their life worrying about managing their battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey