04-09-2016 11:05 AM
50 12
tools
    For what its worth, I had a similar problem with my M9. After a bit of tweaking Google Wallet started to appear as the second biggest user of my battery with the screen off. With the first being Google Services. Uninstalling Wallet seems to have made a large difference. I still use Google apps Newsstand, Chrome, Music, Movies, Books, Rewards and YouTube. With location settings set to battery saving mode unless I need GPS for something specific.
    04-16-2015 07:44 PM
    Just a question: by disabling Google location history, do you still get Google Now cards coming through? I would like to start using Google Now but I'm worried about the battery drain associated with it, as my battery is already not as good as I would like on my S6
    04-16-2015 10:49 PM
    I commute to work everyday using public transportation. I took a cab the other day and left my phone in the cab! I was able to go to my google location history and see everywhere my phone had been. I was also able to set the phone to wipe as soon as it was turned on (it had been turned off). My question is if I disable location services, how would I track my phone or tablet in such a scenario?
    05-04-2015 10:44 AM
    You still get google now cards if you disable location history, it merely limits the cards you get. You can still receive weather etc, but nothing that would rely on where you are in relation to where you've been, like commute notifications etc.
    05-08-2015 12:10 PM
    I think the issues is this bug with lollipop.
    https://code.google.com/p/android/is...tail?id=165558
    05-08-2015 12:11 PM
    I am also new to android and samsung, but i've found that the location service is draining battery quite a bit. Try and disable that - unless you really need it enabled off course.
    05-08-2015 05:49 PM
    Just throwing out another fix. Go to settings and lock screen and security, then other security settings and finally other security settings. Turn off Android Device Manager. Go to the play store and you can now uninstall Play Services updates. Once they are uninstalled there will be a prompt to upgrade. Click on that and reinstall the updates. That has had some success for people.

I would recommend going back and turning on Android Device Manager if you use it. If not, leave it off. I do use it so it goes back on.

This is very frustrating as I need to be able to trust my phone died not drain when I am sleeping in some instances.

Posted via Galaxy S6
    05-10-2015 08:58 AM
    Hi
    I got fixed my s6 edge, i also was getting really high battery drain by Google services.

Here is the fix: Go to play store and download gservicefix and follow the steps in this downloaded app. Now i get 6 - 7 hours screen on. Thats amazing
    05-14-2015 08:49 AM
    Hi
    I got fixed my s6 edge, i also was getting really high battery drain by Google services.

Here is the fix: Go to play store and download gservicefix and follow the steps in this downloaded app. Now i get 6 - 7 hours screen on. Thats amazing
    So looked at this app in market and seems to have good reviews, but what does it really do? So did you do what it said after installing it like turned off GPS and Sync? I don't use GPS, but why would I turn off Sync when I want things to still be able to sync in background for push notifications etc.... To me turning off Sync would be pointless to have a phone so hoping the fix would still work without having to do that. Any insight from your install and fix would be helpful, also do you have to keep the app running or can you uninstall it once you apply the fix? Thanks!
    05-14-2015 10:27 AM
    So looked at this app in market and seems to have good reviews, but what does it really do? So did you do what it said after installing it like turned off GPS and Sync? I don't use GPS, but why would I turn off Sync when I want things to still be able to sync in background for push notifications etc.... To me turning off Sync would be pointless to have a phone so hoping the fix would still work without having to do that. Any insight from your install and fix would be helpful, also do you have to keep the app running or can you uninstall it once you apply the fix? Thanks!
    Yeah, same question here. This app just seems like it gimps the phone. I can turn off sync, too, but then what's the point?

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-15-2015 04:11 PM
    I downloaded the gservicefix app and it didn't do anything!

Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy S6 Google Play Services - Battery Drain-12613.jpg   Samsung Galaxy S6 Google Play Services - Battery Drain-12614.jpg  
    tonyr6 likes this.
    05-22-2015 10:54 AM
    Strange how the search function works as ten seconds before clicking in here I did a search on "Google Play Services", searching only the thread titles (across the entire forum) and this thread didn't show up on the first page of most recently replied to threads. Weird, but I'm glad I saw this before making my own thread.

Now I'm not complaining in general about the battery life I've gotten this cycle, as it seems to be the best I've gotten since I got the phone, but it irks me to see Google Play Services as the number one offender on here. Here is my battery usage last night before going to sleep with 2 hours 20 minutes of SoT:

Samsung Galaxy S6 Google Play Services - Battery Drain-screenshot_2015-05-22-02-04-05.jpg

Here it is again in the afternoon with having barely used it this morning, with only an additional 10 minutes of SoT:

Samsung Galaxy S6 Google Play Services - Battery Drain-screenshot_2015-05-22-11-36-53.jpg

This is with about 2.5 hours of SoT, so all in all not horrible relative to what I was getting about a week ago before making a few additional changes and switching to Nova launcher. Still, what the heck is cause Google Play services to suck up all this battery when the phone is idling? My phone hasn't updated to the new build yet btw, and this is an AT&T phone. Location services are always on - might start turning that off. And The Weather Channel app was behaving for a few days but now it's back to being a cold blooded killer. I might've had the program running for a long time in the background having forgotten to close it after using it though.
    05-22-2015 12:02 PM
    There's an update to Google Services.

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-...-apk-download/

Warning: Make sure you know your version number before downloading.
    05-22-2015 05:37 PM
    Just to pile on here...

I disabled background data for GPS and my battery life sky rocketed. And I mean like 10 hours off charger, still at 90% kind of sky rocket. Though that was with roughtly 1.5 hours of SOT.

The only issue I found is that I couldn't recieve GV or hangout messages if I didn't actually have the app open. Which kind of makes it so I can't actually disable it as I need that for work.

I wish there was a way to know exactly what in GPS is chewing battery. So I could figure out how to turn things off at a more granular level.
    06-08-2015 10:12 AM
    I have everything switched off from location settings to syncing and I STILL have Google Play services showing up in my most used and like the original poster I don't get it at all
    06-08-2015 10:21 AM
    Hi there, how did you disable background data for GPS? Sorry if this is a dumb question!
    06-09-2015 07:47 PM
    All I can add to this discussion is that I am happy with my battery life, and I DO NOT HAVE Google Play Services showing up as an app that's eating up my battery. I'm not sure what causes it to be on or off, but obviously I'm not running anything that's causing it to run. I sure don't run Google Now, or much of any Google stuff at all, but that's about all I can tell you. I sure think that Google Play Services is one of the big things that is ruining the battery life for a bunch of folks, so to do whatever it takes to get rid of it sure would seem to be worthwhile to me.
    06-09-2015 11:11 PM
    I turned off location services history last night, disabled all google apps I don't use and removed sync from any google app I didn't use. Thanks everyone for the tips. Today is a night/day difference so far:

Attachment 171325
    Attachment 171326
    That's still not good sot, even with Google now cards but turning off all Google syncs, location off, I only lose anywhere from 5 to 10 percent of battery power 1 hour of screen on time depending on what I'm doing.

06-10-2015 04:13 PM
    I'd suggest turning off the location services. Since Google collects location information of yours, your phone wakes up to connect google servers..Thus battery is drained by google services..Install Wakelock detector and monitor your wakeups to find out what is causing your phone to wake up..I have solved my battery drain issue by simply doing this..

Hope it helps..
    06-11-2015 11:40 AM
    I had a terrible battery drain problem. I was about to return the phone but someone on another forum said the did a factory default and it fixed it. I tried it and now my battery is great. I've been on my phone all day and I'm now down to 37%. Night and day difference.

06-11-2015 09:08 PM
    Always that Google Play Services. I am so over it -_-
    Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy S6 Google Play Services - Battery Drain-1434085332185.jpg  
    06-12-2015 01:02 AM
    Ouch
    Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy S6 Google Play Services - Battery Drain-1434130370970.jpg  
    06-12-2015 01:32 PM
    Sure - go into settings, Personal, Accounts. Go through each account and turn off sync you don't need. Specifically, Google likes to try to sync EVERYTHING. I turned it all off except contacts, music, and chrome.

Next go to the application called "Google Settings" in your app drawer. Scroll down to "Location" and on "Google Location History" turn it OFF. I think that might have been my main culprit.

Hope this helps!!

This did the trick for my Galaxy S6. Google play services went from consistently being the top battery user to now barely making the list. Thanks so much. Dramatic improvement!
    07-03-2015 10:20 PM
    From day 1 I thought that the battery life of my Samsung S6 Edge was pretty bad. The only apps that I have on my phone is Whatsapp, Messenger(I deleted Facebook app to see if it was the problem but it's not, but I still havnt reinstalled it), Chrome, Waze ( hardly ever use, and the one time I used it the phone got extremely hot!!), Skype, and Light Manager. I have my screen brightness near to the very bottom, very dim. My location services are OFF. Google account's do not sync. I have 2 email accounts on the default email application and only things that Sync are whatsapp and messenger My phone is connected to Wifi most of the day and the signal is always strong. I lose about 1% for every 3 minutes of my screen being on, weather I'm using Whatsapp, looking around in settings, or reading a text message or email. I average about 2 hours - 2.5 hours of Screen On Time until my battery is drained or at 5% at the very most.

I have taken my phone to Samsung and they did something to it for an hour and wiped it and said it should solve the issue, which it did not! I also restarted my phone by pressing the power, volume up, and home keys and cleared that cache thing that I saw on a Youtube video that helped some people, but unfortunately not me!

I also notice that most of my RAM is always used up and I'm not sure why? It's always above 70% used up even right after I restart the phone.

I am not sure what to do now, is this normal for the S6 Edge? How could this ever be normal for any phone? Especially the top of the range phone with a heavy price tag? What did I pay for? A downgrade?? That's what it feels like to my dismay!

The one thing that I am thankful for is the one year warranty and that I can take my phone in so that they can rip it apart (who knows with what level of care) and put another battery in which will hopefully deliver enough capacity to see me through the day rather than only half a day! I certainly DO NOT wish to downgrade to having to charge my phone twice over the course of a 24 hour period, that is ridiculous! The amount of people with s6 Edge's that are having terrible battery life is alarming to me and potentially grounds for a recall of this model because as beautiful as it is it's simply not practical, especially if you are use to your s5 still having 30% + battery at the end of the night even after heavy use and then getting a new "upgraded" phone that I have to be mindful of my usage with if I want it to get me through the day until I'm back home from work. Very very disappointed and I'm not so sure if I'm going to remain a fan of Samsung after this experience.
    tpero likes this.
    01-28-2016 02:01 PM
    Hi, you can try many things here, for tips on how to deal with the Google Play Services issues, read here. For tips on saving battery life and reducing battery drain on your s6/S6 Edge, read here. I hope this helps everyone.
    04-09-2016 11:05 AM
50 12