Can't make Google Play Music the default music app???

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
With my S4, when I connected to bluetooth in my car and then switched to Media, it automatically started playing Google Play Music. Now with the S6, doing the same thing plays local "music" (ringtones) via the built in Samsung Music app. I can't find a way to change the default, and I can't disable the Music app. Anyone know if it's possible to make another music app the default, and if so how? Thanks.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
This morning, I did nothing different, connected to bluetooth in my car, then hit the Media button in my car and it played Google Play Music. Strange? Now the question is, will it keep doing that? Also, if I pause a song, then switch to the radio for a bit, then switch back to Media, it starts the song over rather than from where I paused it. Again, didn't happen on my S4. Sounds like a minor problem, but I'd rather not be skipping songs just because it always starts at the beginning of the one I was on.

ballzac

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
This morning, I did nothing different, connected to bluetooth in my car, then hit the Media button in my car and it played Google Play Music. Strange? Now the question is, will it keep doing that? Also, if I pause a song, then switch to the radio for a bit, then switch back to Media, it starts the song over rather than from where I paused it. Again, didn't happen on my S4. Sounds like a minor problem, but I'd rather not be skipping songs just because it always starts at the beginning of the one I was on.

I was wondering about this too, I think after you first use GPM since the app is open on the task manager it uses that instead of Samsung music. A super handy app I found is this https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...rt.and.play.music.player&hl=en&token=WMDLn91y you can set it so that GPM starts when you use bluetooth audio, like i do in my car

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering about this too, I think after you first use GPM since the app is open on the task manager it uses that instead of Samsung music. A super handy app I found is this https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...rt.and.play.music.player&hl=en&token=FGFDDZXq you can set it so that GPM starts when you use bluetooth audio, like i do in my car

Thanks. I just installed this app. Now that the player of choice is used each time, I'm hoping this app will take care of the problem of not starting the song where it last was paused. We'll see, haven't tried it yet.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering about this too, I think after you first use GPM since the app is open on the task manager it uses that instead of Samsung music. A super handy app I found is this https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...rt.and.play.music.player&hl=en&token=BN7hL-9K you can set it so that GPM starts when you use bluetooth audio, like i do in my car

Well I'm having mixed results. The first 2 to 3 times it worked like a charm, picked right up where I was in the song. It was perfect. Then, in the next 3-4 times, it has only done that once, and the other times it starts the song from the beginning. I haven't changed a single setting, it just randomly went from working to not working as intended, as far as playback is concerned. Everything else about the app works fine still, but the only reason I am using it is to start playback from where the last song was paused. We'll see, I'm going to give it another day or two, maybe tweak some things, maybe contact the developer.

ballzac

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm having mixed results. The first 2 to 3 times it worked like a charm, picked right up where I was in the song. It was perfect. Then, in the next 3-4 times, it has only done that once, and the other times it starts the song from the beginning. I haven't changed a single setting, it just randomly went from working to not working as intended, as far as playback is concerned. Everything else about the app works fine still, but the only reason I am using it is to start playback from where the last song was paused. We'll see, I'm going to give it another day or two, maybe tweak some things, maybe contact the developer.

Yea i noticed it can be a little funky too, but as of now its the only semi solution I've seen. If you contact them and they have any helpful info lemme know :)

Posted via the Android Central App

anaphora68

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I opened an MP3 file I had and set the default app to Google Play Music when it asked. No issues. Every time I get in my car, GPM launches.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I opened an MP3 file I had and set the default app to Google Play Music when it asked. No issues. Every time I get in my car, GPM launches.

Yeah I'm not having that issue anymore, even before this app. I installed the app to get it to play the last song from where it left off, rather than from the beginning every time. When you stream music in GPM, pause it and get out of the car, then later get in the car and resume streaming music via your car, does it play from where you paused it or start from the beginning? Thanks.

kobe008

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
On my Note 4 it never starts playing automatically in my vehicle but if I push the next track button it will sometimes start playing. I use Google play music and Pandora and it will start whichever one I was using last, sometimes.

Clintss

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
This is annoying to me as well. Here's my problems...

1) bluetooth connects
2) stupid default player starts
3) fortunately I have the bluetooth connect and play app, so it starts google music player (most of the time)

a) Forward and back buttons don't work (does on the default player)
b) if I go to another source like radio, then come back, it starts running the default music player and it plays my voicemails
c) Pause/Stop doesn't work