Is anyone returning their S6?

Will you be returning your S6?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
yea thats my main issue with the S6...it's 2015. We shouldn't have to be worried about having chargers around us at all times to get through a day with light to moderate use. It's inexcusable.... And I also don't want to hear about how they "optimized the processor to get better battery life"....bs. Put a larger battery in and be done with it. If it didn't fit the design, do better....re-engineer. I don't even care if it's a little thicker/heavier. Well worth it to me....the thought of people carrying around battery packs in 2015 in their daily lives is ridiculous. /end rant.

Agreed. Plus I'm having issues.with wifi.

Posted via the Android Central App

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
yea thats my main issue with the S6...it's 2015. We shouldn't have to be worried about having chargers around us at all times to get through a day with light to moderate use. It's inexcusable.... And I also don't want to hear about how they "optimized the processor to get better battery life"....bs. Put a larger battery in and be done with it. If it didn't fit the design, do better....re-engineer. I don't even care if it's a little thicker/heavier. Well worth it to me....the thought of people carrying around battery packs in 2015 in their daily lives is ridiculous. /end rant.

i consider myself a moderate use case and can get 20+ hrs with 4.5 hours onscreen time easily. A bigger battery would have meant a bigger phone, if the phone was much bigger i would have skipped on it. Im one person ya i get it, but the design and battery used is suffice for me.

pwiddy

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
i consider myself a moderate use case and can get 20+ hrs with 4.5 hours onscreen time easily. A bigger battery would have meant a bigger phone, if the phone was much bigger i would have skipped on it. Im one person ya i get it, but the design and battery used is suffice for me.

I have no idea how you're getting that much. I was at 35% yesterday evening with 1.5 hours SOT. glad it's working out better for you than me though...

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

lol 20+ hours with 4.5 on screen time easily??? sounds like absolute bull**** unless you literally do nothing on your phone.

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I am contemplating to return the Galaxy S6 . Cant connect my HP Brother over blue tooth , my Bose Head phones cant control the volume .The issues related to migrating my old songs on iphone to GS6 are few of the issues making me switch to iPhone6 /iPhone 6+.

I'd keep the S6, you're just going through the crap that Apple makes everyone go through when leaving their ecosystem. It was a nightmare for me, but now I'm happier than ever and will never look back!

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'd keep the S6, you're just going through the crap that Apple makes everyone go through when leaving their ecosystem. It was a nightmare for me, but now I'm happier than ever and will never look back!

I have both and at this point the iPhone 6 is way better.

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I got between 4.5 - 5 on screen time which is fine for me.. Love this phone a lot..love the size, display and camera quality...

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep I think I'm returning it. Don't get me wrong it's a terrific phone but it's not without its issues. I'm averaging about 3 and a half hours screen on time, I disabled all location because that seems to shoot up Google services to the top of battery consumption, to be fair I think that may be a lollipop issue tho as the nexus 6 also exhibits that. The biggest reason tho is because despite the beastly processor it doesn't seem as fast or fluid as my lowly nexus 5 on 5.1, the screen is much better and I vastly prefer capacitive buttons on amoled screens, nexus 5 looks incredibly washed out in direct comparison. Camera is good but I don't take many pics, nexus 5 in HDR mode is plenty good to me.

Compared to the Nexus 6 I think the s6 is definitely more fluid, more manageable in one hand and has a sharper display but boy stock lollipop and huge display and 6 hours of screen time are hard to give up, I think the note 5 will be the one to get once you get used to the bigger screens. Having that gorgeous of a display on a 5.1 panel kinda seems like a waste.

Overall I feel like it's overpriced. Same battery life as my nexus 5, and nowhere near as enjoyable for media consumption as nexus 6. Considering their respective prices, I can't help but feel that the moto x 2014 and HTC one m8 are a better buy, those two devices are just as fast and even more fluid than the s6 in my experience and both screens are perfectly adequate despite not being in the s6 league. Moto x routinely got me 4 hours of screen time and the one m8 got me 5.5 ish. Feel in the hand is just as good, moto x in particular feels ultra sexy and is an ergonomic champ given the bezel or lack thereof.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I think there's a clear struggle now with people wanting the larger screens and the battery life the larger batteries can hold. I've been fortunate not to be hit with the cell standby bug that plagues Lollipop (and to be honest, I have no idea why. I had it on my Nexus 6). When this phone is performing up to it's capabilities, and unfortunately not everyone is seeing this as of yet, it's an excellent device.

What it can't do, however, is match the screen size and battery life of a phone like the Note 4. It's a tough choice.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Same battery life as your Nexus 5? Wow. Compared to my nexus 5 the S6 out performs it almost double in battery life.

Posted via S6

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Yep I think I'm returning it. Don't get me wrong it's a terrific phone but it's not without its issues. I'm averaging about 3 and a half hours screen on time, I disabled all location because that seems to shoot up Google services to the top of battery consumption, to be fair I think that may be a lollipop issue tho as the nexus 6 also exhibits that. The biggest reason tho is because despite the beastly processor it doesn't seem as fast or fluid as my lowly nexus 5 on 5.1, the screen is much better and I vastly prefer capacitive buttons on amoled screens, nexus 5 looks incredibly washed out in direct comparison. Camera is good but I don't take many pics, nexus 5 in HDR mode is plenty good to me.

Compared to the Nexus 6 I think the s6 is definitely more fluid, more manageable in one hand and has a sharper display but boy stock lollipop and huge display and 6 hours of screen time are hard to give up, I think the note 5 will be the one to get once you get used to the bigger screens. Having that gorgeous of a display on a 5.1 panel kinda seems like a waste.

Overall I feel like it's overpriced. Same battery life as my nexus 5, and nowhere near as enjoyable for media consumption as nexus 6. Considering their respective prices, I can't help but feel that the moto x 2014 and HTC one m8 are a better buy, those two devices are just as fast and even more fluid than the s6 in my experience and both screens are perfectly adequate despite not being in the s6 league. Moto x routinely got me 4 hours of screen time and the one m8 got me 5.5 ish. Feel in the hand is just as good, moto x in particular feels ultra sexy and is an ergonomic champ given the bezel or lack thereof.

Is the M8 good? I'm thinking of returning this for that.
The S6 keeps on dropping wifi...gets laggy and camera is not that impressive. ..and the battery...oh boy

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Is the M8 good? I'm thinking of returning this for that.
The S6 keeps on dropping wifi...gets laggy and camera is not that impressive. ..and the battery...oh boy

Sounds more like the S5 than the S6. We've got some wildly different experiences with this phone. Definitely interesting.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
lol 20+ hours with 4.5 on screen time easily??? sounds like absolute bull**** unless you literally do nothing on your phone.

Ok easily may be the wrong term, "my average" is the better term. My current average as of GSam is 26 hours on battery, 4.3 hours on screen time. Ive had the phone for 3 days now, got Location settings/bluetooth/wifi on all the time, Cell standby is good (1-2% usage max), disabled unnecessary apps. I dont use applications like Whatsapp, my texting is strictly SMS/MMS. I use a lot of apps but hardly any gaming, a lot of browsing and youtube videos mostly.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok easily may be the wrong term, "my average" is the better term. My current average as of GSam is 26 hours on battery, 4.3 hours on screen time. Ive had the phone for 3 days now, got Location settings/bluetooth/wifi on all the time, Cell standby is good (1-2% usage max), disabled unnecessary apps. I dont use applications like Whatsapp, my texting is strictly SMS/MMS. I use a lot of apps but hardly any gaming, a lot of browsing and youtube videos mostly.

I'm not getting 26 hours, but I can get 15-17 with 4-5:30 hours on screen pretty consistently. When this device isn't handicapped with the Lollipop cell standby/WiFi issue, it's capable of pretty solid battery life.

katiheefner

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm not getting 26 hours, but I can get 15-17 with 4-5:30 hours on screen pretty consistently. When this device isn't handicapped with the Lollipop cell standby/WiFi issue, it's capable of pretty solid battery life.

How do you fix the standby/wifi issue? I am getting no where NEAR 4-5 hours of screen time...perhaps 2 AT best.

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site

The stupid cell standby issue is killing my battery. I did all the things in the other battery tips thread, even switched wifi connection from 5ghz to 2.4ghz, and battery life is still awful on my Verizon S6. This is about the fourth or fifth charge, and the phone is still losing battery at a crazy rate. Lost 7% this last hour (100% down to 93%), doing nothing. The only two items in the list currently are Cell Standby (3%) and Android OS (3%). I want to love the phone, because the screen is awesome, and the build is fantastic. I don't even mind this version of TouchWiz on top of Lollipop. But the battery doesn't work for me. I also have a Note 4, and it's by far the better device (for me). If the battery life on standby were better on my S6, it might be a different story.

I've thought about exchanging it, but the device doesn't seem to be defective, and I worry that if I exchange it for another S6 which has the same issue, that I won't be able to return it for a refund if I ultimately go that route.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
How do you fix the standby/wifi issue? I am getting no where NEAR 4-5 hours of screen time...perhaps 2 AT best.

I can't answer that. It's a Google issue that hopefully will be addressed soon. It sucks to see people get such terrible battery life right now when this device is capable of so much more. This level of efficiency on the hardware side is impressive. I can only imagine how the battery life would be on a phone with these internals and a 3500 mah battery. The Note 5 could be an absolute monster in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.