Is anyone returning their S6?

Will you be returning your S6?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun_Fan

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Well after considerable thought and debating with myself, I went ahead and took the S6 back and exchanged it for a S6 edge. I originally was going to get the 64 GB edge last Friday, but last minute changed my mind. Well after playing with one at BB yesterday, today I went back to Verizon and paid the $35 restocking fee and switched. Got the same black color, I'm happy with it. DId the settings in the WiFi like was suggested, I haven't activated advance calling, cause I get click here to activate it, and I haven't clicked it yet, so I will see how battery life does.

I wasn't getting bad battery life on the S6, so I hope it is the same here.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
It's weird to hear how people are getting stutter in certain areas and just terrible battery life. I wish you all could get a clone of my phone and have the experience I'm having with it. Outside of normal hiccups, which happens on every phone once in awhile, this phone flies. The combination of the Exynos 7420, the DDR4 RAM, and the UFS storage, even on Touchwiz, has this phone executing all types of tasks really quickly. My battery life has been excellent for this size cell (I'm using the Edge at 2600 mah).

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It's weird to hear how people are getting stutter in certain areas and just terrible battery life. I wish you all could get a clone of my phone and have the experience I'm having with it. Outside of normal hiccups, which happens on every phone once in awhile, this phone flies. The combination of the Exynos 7420, the DDR4 RAM, and the UFS storage, even on Touchwiz, has this phone executing all types of tasks really quickly. My battery life has been excellent for this size cell (I'm using the Edge at 2600 mah).

No, the hiccups aren't normal. Or at least I didn't get them on previous phones I have.

Last night had my One M8 and S6 side by side, trying to open apps at the same time, and navigating through the UI, the One M8 was the snappier device. Would load the multi-tasker faster, phone app faster, contacts app faster etc. Plus I haven't ever really noticed the One stuttering in the UI at all, certainly not the frame drops that I'm getting with the S6.

Gun to my head, I'd say the One M8 is the faster phone. General UI speed is faster, apps load quicker and it seems the touch response is better. For example when I swipe upwards to scroll down the page, the M8 does it immediately and faster whereas the S6 is a step behind.

I don't think people would really notice too much, but having the two phones and comparing them directly against each other, I can compare and see the differences.

Battery life is no question which one is better. Almost had the S6 for a week no and there's no way it'll pull the battery life of the M8. Just not going to happen unless it turn off so many things it becomes a dumbphone.

It's possible I have a defective unit, but I really don't think so. Doesn't scream defective to me, just seems like that's the experience people will have.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a SG6 Edge 128GB........& It went back to the AT&T Store 15 minutes ago. In this day and age I shouldn't have to tweak a device to death to get decent performance and battery life. I shouldn't have a Jekyll and Hyde device in the year 2015. This is 2015 and by now Google should have learned to make an efficient and decently laid out OS. Everyone else can keep this POS device as I won't put up with a device that has to be tweaked to death for good battery life.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
No, the hiccups aren't normal. Or at least I didn't get them on previous phones I have.

Last night had my One M8 and S6 side by side, trying to open apps at the same time, and navigating through the UI, the One M8 was the snappier device. Would load the multi-tasker faster, phone app faster, contacts app faster etc. Plus I haven't ever really noticed the One stuttering in the UI at all, certainly not the frame drops that I'm getting with the S6.

Gun to my head, I'd say the One M8 is the faster phone. General UI speed is faster, apps load quicker and it seems the touch response is better. Like when I swipe upwards to scroll down the page, the M8 does it immediately and faster whereas the S6 is a step behind.

I don't think people would really notice too much, but having the two phones and comparing them directly against each other, I can compare and see the differences.

Battery life is no question which one is better. Almost had the S6 for a week no and there's no way it'll pull the battery life of the M8. Just not going to happen unless it turn off so many things it becomes a dumbphone.

It's possible I have a defective unit, but I really don't think so. Doesn't scream defective to me, just seems like that's the experience people will have.

I'll have to disagree here. I don't think the M8 is the faster device or is better on battery. I've played with my S6 and a friend's M9 (huge HTC fan) and we both agreed my device is quicker. Apps opened quicker, games started faster, and general UI performance was about the same because Touchwiz is just animation heavy (though less than before). Based on my own experience with the M8 battery life and even being fair and bringing the M9 into it, the S6 again tops them both. Does it top them both if you're experiencing the Lollipop WiFi/cell standby bug? No. I don't have that problem. All things equal, this S6 Edge outperforms them both.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Love the phone. But just don't think I'm getting the battery life I should. And I've done all the recommended settings

I think I'm getting the battery life I should. Its just not good enough. Heading back to my Z3. So sad though. The S6 is fantastic on almost every other say. For me though, I need slow discharging. Not fast charging.

Posted via the Android Central App

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to disagree here. I don't think the M8 is the faster device or is better on battery. I've played with my S6 and a friend's M9 (huge HTC fan) and we both agreed my device is quicker. Apps opened quicker, games started faster, and general UI performance was about the same because Touchwiz is just animation heavy (though less than before). Based on my own experience with the M8 battery life and even being fair and bringing the M9 into it, the S6 again tops them both. Does it top them both if you're experiencing the Lollipop WiFi/cell standby bug? No. I don't have that problem. All things equal, this S6 Edge outperforms them both.

I have to disagree with your M8 battery life comment. M9 you'll have an argument but M8 is much better than this S6 battery life. Don't believe me? Look through the M8 thread on Android Central and counts how many threads are about people complaining about the battery. Now look at this S6 forum. The first page alone is littered with them.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I have to disagree with your M8 battery life comment. M9 you'll have an argument but M8 is much better than this S6 battery life. Don't believe me? Look through the M8 thread on Android Central and counts how many threads are about people complaining about the battery. Now look at this S6 forum. The first page alone is littered with them.

Because of a Lollipop bug that even the Nexus 6 is susceptible to. I wouldn't be surprised if the M8, now that it's on Lollipop, doesn't have similar issues. For those of us not suffering from that issue, thus having the battery life the S6 is capable of, it's better than the M8. Which isn't a surprise given the superior/more efficient hardware and the same size battery (I'm using the Edge).

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Well that's not my experience. Have had the One M8 for over a year now, I know what that battery life is like. I've had the S6 for about a week and know what its battery life is like. My S6 is dead by late afternoon, my M8 would last until I'd put it on charge late night (around 11pm). Same usage between the two, different battery life.

Also last night the M8 and S6 side by side doing real word speed comparisons, the M8 came out on top for me on pretty much everything. Loading apps, UI navigation, scrolling etc. I don't play games so I don't doubt the S6 could perform better there.

On its own, the S6 seems fluid and fast and I don't think anyone would have a problem with it, but directly comparing 1 to 1, you notice the difference. Only reason why I bothered doing it was because I was used to the speed of the M8 and immediately felt the S6 was a touch slower in doing things.

Just my experience.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Well that's not my experience. Have had the One M8 for over a year now, I know what that battery life is like. I've had the S6 for about a week and know what its battery life is like. My S6 is dead by late afternoon, my M8 would last until I'd put it on charge late night (around 11pm). Same usage between the two, different battery life.

Also last night the M8 and S6 side by side doing real word speed comparisons, the M8 came out on top for me on pretty much everything. Loading apps, UI navigation, scrolling etc. I don't play games so I don't doubt the S6 could perform better there.

On its own, the S6 seems fluid and fast and I don't think anyone would have a problem with it, but directly comparing 1 to 1, you notice the difference. Only reason why I bothered doing it was because I was used to the speed of the M8 and immediately felt the S6 was a touch slower in doing things.

Just my experience.

That's fine. Obviously you're entitled to feel how you want to feel about the device, but my experience with the S6 seems to be wildly different than your own. Since we can't really compare given the circumstances, I guess I'd rely on videos comparing the two. If we go that route, the S6 pretty much always seems to be faster in all those things.

As far as battery life is concerned, I can only point at the specs here. Both devices, the Edge at least, have 2600 mah batteries. All things being equal, with Lollipop not affecting either device (it doesn't affect mine), the S6 has better battery life. Sucks you're not getting a better experience right now. The M8 was a great phone in it's own right, but it just isn't in the class the S6 is in right now.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
That's fine. Obviously you're entitled to feel how you want to feel about the device, but my experience with the S6 seems to be wildly different than your own. Since we can't really compare given the circumstances, I guess I'd rely on videos comparing the two. If we go that route, the S6 pretty much always seems to be faster in all those things.

As far as battery life is concerned, I can only point at the specs here. Both devices, the Edge at least, have 2600 mah batteries. All things being equal, with Lollipop not affecting either device (it doesn't affect mine), the S6 has better battery life. Sucks you're not getting a better experience right now. The M8 was a great phone in it's own right, but it just isn't in the class the S6 is in right now.

Hmm specs are one thing but real world experience is another. Battery life is an issue constantly being brought up with the S6 and for good reason. It's really not that great.

I can tolerate the UI stutter stuff, but just wish it had better battery life.

Sent from my SM-G920I

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hmm specs are one thing but real world experience is another. Battery life is an issue constantly being brought up with the S6 and for good reason. It's really not that great.

Sent from my SM-G920I

You're right; real world experience does have a lot to do with it. Not being handicapped by the WiFi/cell standby bug, my experience is indicative of what the device can actually do. If we're grading it by that, and we should be, it's definitely better in those areas than the M8. Not to mention we're talking about a phone over a year old that's gotten the required updates to fix it's issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-12-18-15-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-12-18-15-03.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Screenshot_2015-04-12-18-15-13.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-12-18-15-13.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 120

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my SM-G920I
Dude, clear out your mind and step back. Millions of devices sold and you are basing your comments on a very minuscule number of incidents, not even material enough to be a rounding error. Carrier networks and device setups vary all over the planet. Not all of us are seeing any lag and BATtERY life has not been an issue. The only issue that I have had is the phantom toolbox icon. That's it so far. Device is lightning fast and smooth, no stutter. Devices whether they be laptops or smartphones will have the occasional hiccup but is not symptomatic of an overall trend and a reason to be frightened that the sky is falling and that it didn't meet all your expectations, some of which may have been a tad unrealistic. Samsung is not Apple and doesn't want to be. Why can't we be more cognizant of the huge task that Samsung accomplished in just a year on a near total redesign. Maybe they wanted to include more features and try to cram too much into the device. I would rather think that are they saving next gen feature and changes to perfect them to introduce them in the next device. But they learned from their mistakes and now we want to hang them on a BATTERY?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Dude, clear out your mind and step back...

Well I'm just comparing my new S6 to the phone I have had and used prior to it. And for me battery and performance I'd have to give to the HTC.

Sure my experiences with performance and battery life aren't indicative of everyone's experiences, and that would be good otherwise everyone would be disappointed with the battery/performance.

This thread was about people who are considering returning their S6 and based off my experience with the phone so far, that's something I'm considering.

The thread is not for you or other posters to constantly shut down people who voice their issues with the phone.

Sent from my SM-G920I

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm just comparing my new S6 to the phone I have had and used prior to it. And for me battery and performance I'd have to give to the HTC.

Sure my experiences with performance and battery life aren't indicative of everyone's experiences, and that would be good otherwise everyone would be disappointed with the battery/performance.

This thread was about people who are considering returning their S6 and based off my experience with the phone so far, that's something I'm considering.

The thread is not for you or other posters to constantly shut down people who voice their issues with the phone.

Sent from my SM-G920I

For the record, I'm not shutting you down. I'm just pointing out what you'll be able to expect once your phone gets updated or you exchange it.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my SM-G920I

No one is shutting you down. Straw man or red herring Arguments are the last refuge of the scoundrel. If you don't want to wait for the update, then return it. 70% of the poll disagrees with you. The M9 has a bigger battery and performs horribly on a comparative basis. No QHD display? What were they thinking? We can rest on our laurels and people will keep buying our stuff because it looks cool but doesn't have perform as well as it looks? We are all entitled to our observations of your comments as ours are out there for you to mention.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
No one is shutting you down. Straw man or red herring Arguments are the last refuge of the scoundrel. If you don't want to wait for the update, then return it. 70% of the poll disagrees with you. The M9 has a bigger battery and performs horribly on a comparative basis. No QHD display? What were they thinking? We can rest on our laurels and people will keep buying our stuff because it looks cool but doesn't have perform as well as it looks? We are all entitled to our observations of your comments as ours are out there for you to mention.

Man your posts are getting old...

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Is the M8 good? I'm thinking of returning this for that.
The S6 keeps on dropping wifi...gets laggy and camera is not that impressive. ..and the battery...oh boy

The m8 is still a very good phone, it's also a mature and stable device. The s6 will probably get updates to fix some of the bugs, the 5.1 update did wonders for my nexus 5 battery in stand by mode which seems to be an issue with my S6. I haven't had wifi issues but there are some frame rate drops from time to time especially in recent apps screen flicking them away there is a bit of lag but nothing that would be a deal breaker. The M8 doesn't have the cool new device wow factor but it's got way better battery life, sense is more pleasing to interact with and it still has amazing build quality. Given the price diffrences between m8 and s6 I think the m8 offers an overall more satisfying experience. I like the S6 but for $700-800 I was expecting to be blown away, and I'm just not.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The m8 is still a very good phone, it's also a mature and stable device. The s6 will probably get updates to fix some of the bugs, the 5.1 update did wonders for my nexus 5 battery in stand by mode which seems to be an issue with my S6. I haven't had wifi issues but there are some frame rate drops from time to time especially in recent apps screen flicking them away there is a bit of lag but nothing that would be a deal breaker. The M8 doesn't have the cool new device wow factor but it's got way better battery life, sense is more pleasing to interact with and it still has amazing build quality. Given the price diffrences between m8 and s6 I think the m8 offers an overall more satisfying experience. I like the S6 but for $700-800 I was expecting to be blown away, and I'm just not.

Given all that Samsung accomplished in a year, I am sure the same could be said of the GS6 as it matures so let's see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.