Samsung Galaxy S6 after trying various launchers, I am going back to touchwiz

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: after trying various launchers...

I like Touchwiz as well. I tried Nova and Google but went back to Touchwiz. Just seems like it is just sport to dismiss Touchwiz in reviews and the like. Millions of Samsung users use it so they can't all be wrong.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

I tried like hell to love the TW interface for home screens/folders but in reality it just can't hold a candle to Nova. To each their own I suppose but I can't even see that it's close.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

When TouchWiz was much more clunky and less unified and streamlined with such a heavy footprint, I can definitely see the attraction of third party launchers with the customization potential. While I think TouchWiz has a bit of work still ahead of it, for all the changes and improvements on the device overall that Samsung was able to effect in just a year, it is more unified and lighter. With themes, third party launchers will still be an option but less needed. Give TouchWiz with or with out themes and if it isn't for you, then great. That's the strength of android.

SickMickUK

May 8, 2014
Visit site

What does nova give you that touchwiz doesn't on other phones i like that nova give folders which LG doesn't

Posted via the Android Central App

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

What does nova give you that touchwiz doesn't on other phones i like that nova give folders which LG doesn't

Almost infinite customization of colors, layout and design of app folders, screen configuration, infinite scroll through home screens, speed of transitions, etc.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Can you change icons with a DL'd icon pack with TW or do you need to go to a 3rd party launcher?

Frenzytom

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

Yeah. I also tried my true favorites like Google Now and Nova but went back as well. As much as you can customize the look and feel with Nova, it is the time that it takes to make it "your own" just isn't worth it. TW has all the things I like and it is a ways from my earlier Samsungs.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

This is the first time I didn't feel like installing Nova Launcher on day one. I'm on day 5 now and I think I might just be able to stick with TouchWiz.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

I'm sticking with Touchwiz for now. Hopefully there's some clean dark themes available within the next month or so.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I switched to Nova Launched on my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro tablet, but I'm sticking with Touchwiz on my S6 since it seemed to be toned down.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Until Samsung licenses the Nova Launcher engine for Touchwiz Launcher, I'll never use it. Nova is just too feature rich.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

Until Samsung licenses the Nova Launcher engine for Touchwiz Launcher, I'll never use it. Nova is just too feature rich.

Yeah Nova gives customization where TW is lacking, and for me it's just the little things like the clock/weather app on TW unnecessarily takes up half the home screen. Things like that can be fixed with Nova.

lee law 82

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

never heard of TW. dodol launcher is nice. however, i hate all third party launchers. reason being: too many options for customization. i get hooked on changing everything around so much to make it neater or prettier haha. but dodol is the most recent one i tried (and uninstalled multiple times so i dont go blind looking at my phone all day). its small with LOTS of options.

kcguy76

May 25, 2013
Visit site

If you aren't rooted you can download Awesome Icons. It's a little tedious because you have to select each app manually, but it works great. Took me 5 mins to set it all up.

Nova is actually what got me "hooked" on Android. I love being able to toy with things until I get them just the way I want. I think Touchwiz is a lot better than it was, but frankly it still looks the same as it did the last 2-3 years ago. The themes are a nice touch, and for the "average user" they are absolutely perfect to get a different look on your phone quickly and easily. Just depends on which route you want to take :)

Mr_Bugman

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

I gave TW a few days before I looked to replace it. I really didn't hate it or have anything negative to say about it. I just wanted more options and enjoy a unique look that makes others take a second look.

I had GO Launcher Z (I know, I know) on my S4 for awhile. Never had any big issues with it and when they updated to "Z" and removed a lot of bloat it got better. I wanted something different and have always heard a lot about Nova. In researching I found that Nova has a new beta version that is material design. Signed up for beta on their website and I have to say it's been less than 24 hours but I really like it. Runs smooth and no "beta" type issues so far.

I'm hoping in the near future as more S6 themes appear in the Samsung theme store that people make matching themes for both so that the dropdown menus etc can all match the launcher styles.