Samsung Galaxy S6 after trying various launchers, I am going back to touchwiz

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: after trying various launchers...

Almost infinite customization of colors, layout and design of app folders, screen configuration, infinite scroll through home screens, speed of transitions, etc.

Nova also has a number of gestures which you can customize according to your own needs/wants.

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site

I don't mind the TouchWiz launcher, but I am still considering replacing it because VZ screwed it up. They apparently set Cscfeature_Launcher_DisabledPageRotation to true, which prevents the pages from "wrapping around" when paging through them. And yes, this limitation exists even when Flipboard is disabled.

It's either a new launcher, root my new phone, or live without a feature I have used for years. Way to go VZ. This was probably a business decision to motivate folks to turn Flipboard back on. And no, I won't.

Last edited:

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

I always said that I wouldn't but I have run tw all day today and actually like it....

Posted via the Android Central App

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I know there used to be a favorite contacts widget in Nova, but I can't find it now. Is it still there or is it gone. I noticed there isn't a favorite contacts widget any more like in the S5

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Yeah Nova gives customization where TW is lacking, and for me it's just the little things like the clock/weather app on TW unnecessarily takes up half the home screen. Things like that can be fixed with Nova.

Posted via the Android Central App

The Clock and Calendar apps function live and are not static. The clock and weather widget is much smaller and the widgets overall are lot cleaner.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 after trying various launchers...

I might have spoke too soon solo launcher had an update and I decided to give it a try and it's once again peaking my interest. I'll see how it goes for a couple days

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Im actually gonna stick with Touchwiz too. It feels good and fluent now...plus with the option of themes and grid size...im content

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Im actually gonna stick with Touchwiz too. It feels good and fluent now...plus with the option of themes and grid size...im content

I am with you. If you want to use them, that's great too. To me, they had their day when TouchWiz was so heavy that it got in the way of the user experience. I also like what I have seen so far and hope the trend continues.

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm so accustomed to the gestures nova has I just can't adjust to not having them. Otherwise I would probably stick with TW.

Posted via Android Central App

hls811

May 14, 2010
Visit site

Does Nova, or any launcher bring back the Notification icons in the upper left when the screen is locked?

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

I like Touchwiz as well. I tried Nova and Google but went back to Touchwiz. Just seems like it is just sport to dismiss Touchwiz in reviews and the like. Millions of Samsung users use it so they can't all be wrong.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

millions of people like one direction too.

jstkdn

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

So I decided I was going to DL Nova simply because I missed being able to swipe down anywhere in the home screen to get toy notifications, but it doesn't seem to be working. Went in to make sure I had it turned on, and I do, but no dice.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

trevor42088

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

i use the beta (i payed for original version also) and when i go into settings to enable that feature, it tells me due to new stuff with lollipop, that the app has to be granted permission in the accessibility settings. It prompts me to do it and takes me there, but maybe your using a version that doesnt.

Go into settings and see if you can find it.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

I really wanted to fall in love w/ the "new" TW interface/launcher, but I just couldn't. I can't put my finger on it but something just still doesn't feel quite right with it. I think it's the little things like:

1. the app drawer icon forces itself to the right hand side of the dock
2. you are restricted to a 5x5 icon display on the desktop screens
3. some of the widgets/app icons are absurdly small (ie: download "direct dial" and add a direct-dial icon ... it's TINY!!!)
4. you still can't choose to remove the app icon label under your desktop page icons
5. you can't adjust the page scrolling animation, speed, etc...

I know there are some more small things, but it IS the little things to ME that make Nova the way to go. The ONLY thing I seem to have lost (at least for now) with Nova Prime + Tesla Unread is the "unread badge" on my Samsung email app ... but I can live w/ that since I have it monitoring the notification area as well, which will place an unread count for every notification of a new email that comes in, and stays there until I dismiss the notifications.

Not really a true "unread emails" count, but rather an "unread notifications" count.

If TW would incorporate the ability to mix/match horizontal/vertical grid sizes, and take care of the other things I mentioned above ... I might very well be able to deal w/ TW just fine. Until then, I'll keep using Nova Prime.

jstkdn

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site

i use the beta (i payed for original version also) and when i go into settings to enable that feature, it tells me due to new stuff with lollipop, that the app has to be granted permission in the accessibility settings. It prompts me to do it and takes me there, but maybe your using a version that doesnt.

Go into settings and see if you can find it.

Yeah, I'm on the official release. I'll stock with TW until I get the notification that there's an update in the play store. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool