07-31-2015 06:18 AM
86 1234
tools
    So it's not "Is there any way to make this experience similar to what I'm used to on Windows Phone?", but "I'm done with this and want to let strangers know it for some reason". Nothing quite like wasting time, I guess.

Maybe I'll go buy another iPhone and sit in iMore to ***** about how it isn't as good as my S6. Sounds like a cool-dude thing to do.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge
    04-14-2015 08:47 AM
    Everyone takes it so personal, its pretty hilarious. Like them talking down about another platform makes their phone better. Someone actually said "its how he said it" like he's talking to his wife or something lmao. I thought the guys at crackberry were ridiculous but wow. You guys have all the market share you should be proud and humble not jerks. Maybe I'll go over to the chrome forum and talk about how crappy their OS is and how great windows is, maybe it'll make me feel good about myself too.
    04-14-2015 09:32 AM
    Everyone takes it so personal, its pretty hilarious. Like them talking down about another platform makes their phone better. Someone actually said "its how he said it" like he's talking to his wife or something lmao. I thought the guys at crackberry were ridiculous but wow. You guys have all the market share you should be proud and humble not jerks. Maybe I'll go over to the chrome forum and talk about how crappy their OS is and how great windows is, maybe it'll make me feel good about myself too.
    All I'm saying is that when I sold my iPhone, I didn't go onto an iPhone forum and whine about why I sold it. I sold it and moved on. Not sure why that's so hard to do for some people.

04-14-2015 10:09 AM
    Someone doesn't agree to your opinion and now are jerks. OK.
    It's not hard to digest everyone doesn't like windows phone and don't shoot the messenger by just saying you haven't used windows phone?
    chezm likes this.
    04-14-2015 10:29 AM
    My current and last 2 phones has been WP. Prior to that was Samsung and Nexus. My brother currently uses Note 4, which I play with sometimes. My personal opinion is that WP has the easiest UI. I really like the live tiles. There's so many plus and minuses, it all comes down to individual preferences.

I'm looking to switch to S6E, S6, or the upcoming G4. The only reason is because my L1020 is on its last leg. The screen will pop out any moment. :-( Microsoft is supposed to release a "flagship" WP this year....so will see...
    04-14-2015 10:41 AM
    It's not what he said that gets people "tizzy"

It's how he says it... or... how he comes off....

It's kind of like.. "ugh, I just CAN'T do it... " when millions of people around do... he's separating himself like his needs are superior... or more demanding... more specific.... I'm not trying to put words in hiis mouth... jus showing how he comes off....

And not jus him.. It's most people who make a thread claiming to NOT be able to adjust to something and abandon ship for another platform...

"I can't use SAMOLED... I just can't it burns my eyes"

"I can't use a 293 ppi screen... I can see the pixels... I need at least 425"

"I can't use this phone... the edges are so sharp.. I swear I almost cut my finger"

Oh boo hoo
    Regardless "how he says it or how he comes off" as an adult I'm still in control of how I choose to respond to another poster's comments about something as innocuous as a cell phone or platform. I definitely won't embarrass myself by having a "tizzy" over it. I'll leave the tizzying to my children who haven't quite matured yet, so they get a pass.
    04-14-2015 11:15 AM
    I typed a pretty lengthy explanation that contained none of what you just said when I quoted your last post which you obviously ignored and this is what you got? Ok then, pretty obvious what you're up to.
    04-14-2015 11:20 AM
    All I'm saying is that when I sold my iPhone, I didn't go onto an iPhone forum and whine about why I sold it. I sold it and moved on. Not sure why that's so hard to do for some people.

Because this is a tech forum, for adults, and most of us like to discuss the good and bad of our devices, including when people, for their own reasons, choose to move on from their device.
    04-14-2015 11:31 AM
    Maybe in some posts but there was an assumption made that since we have android that we have never tried WP and therefore cannot make a comparison. As you can see in this thread many of us have owned WP and are offering our observations just as the OP did.

I frequent all the sites under Mobile Nations and android central is one of the most accommodating of other platforms in my opinion.

Posted via Nexus 6!
    aggie likes this.
    04-14-2015 11:36 AM
    Because this is a tech forum, for adults, and most of us like to discuss the good and bad of our devices, including when people, for their own reasons, choose to move on from their device.
    By all means, he/she can say whatever they want, but expecting anything less than this response is kind of short sighted. This doesn't lend itself to any meaningful discussions, but it did give you an opportunity to bring up the iPhone/lag/battery thing again so I'm sure it's a win in your book.
    04-14-2015 11:46 AM
    By all means, he/she can say whatever they want, but expecting anything less than this response is kind of short sighted. This doesn't lend itself to any meaningful discussions, but it did give you an opportunity to bring up the iPhone/lag/battery thing again so I'm sure it's a win in your book.
    Nah...watching you continually slam anybody who possibly has anything bad to say about the S6 is the win. You are entertaining (and predictable) if nothing else!
    04-14-2015 11:49 AM
    Nah...watching you continually slam anybody who possibly has anything bad to say about the S6 is the win. You are entertaining (and predictable) if nothing else!
    This really isn't about the S6 in general, but okay. It's about saying you don't like a device, not seeking to find any solutions to said issues, and saying you're leaving it behind as if anyone cares. I'd say that regarding any phone. You're just not happy because I don't agree that the S6 lags, has scrolling issues, and has mediocre battery life. I've proven how good the battery can be and so have many others. The lag/scrolling issue I can't really prove, but you'd think that with so many reviews of people who use all types of phones, like myself, saying that it doesn't lag, you'd get the picture. The S6 isn't perfect; no phone is. You're just mad because I don't agree with your amusing phone comparisons.
    04-14-2015 12:04 PM
    No you just choose to do it in the Android forums where you won't get bashed and will have backers. Makes you no different than the OP.
    04-14-2015 12:39 PM
    Someone doesn't agree to your opinion and now are jerks. OK.
    It's not hard to digest everyone doesn't like windows phone and don't shoot the messenger by just saying you haven't used windows phone?
    I never gave an opinion and wasn't looking to be agreed with.
    04-14-2015 12:41 PM
    Maybe in some posts but there was an assumption made that since we have android that we have never tried WP and therefore cannot make a comparison. As you can see in this thread many of us have owned WP and are offering our observations just as the OP did.

I frequent all the sites under Mobile Nations and android central is one of the most accommodating of other platforms in my opinion.

Posted via Nexus 6!
    Well from what i've seen so far we'll agreed to disagree. Its the most civil as long as you're agreeing with everyone else. As soon as a iOS or WP comment pops up the OP is shouted down.
    04-14-2015 12:43 PM
    I typed a pretty lengthy explanation that contained none of what you just said when I quoted your last post which you obviously ignored and this is what you got? Ok then, pretty obvious what you're up to.
    Oh No! I would've gotten away with what i was up to if you hadn't discovered my AGENDA! I just dropped 1000 dollars on an S6 edge so i could come into android forums and protect the WP name... sounds reasonable.
    04-14-2015 12:46 PM
    I disagree. I despise the tiles on Windows Phone.
    Jerry Hildenbrand likes this.
    04-14-2015 12:47 PM
    I can solve your entire list almost.

Crashing apps: easily solved by paying more attention to Play Store ratings. It's ridiculously easy nowadays by shopping for the best products. You wouldn't buy a crappy rated item in a store, so why would you buy a badly rated app? Android doesn't crash apps, badly written apps crash apps. And even the folks on Windows Central all complain about the bad quality and quantity of the Windows Store apps so I don't know how this is even an argument.

Bad battery life: totally depends on which manufacturer you buy from. Xperia and Note phones have incredible battery life. Many others are average. Very few are "bad" and those are usually budget phones.

Inconsistent design: this is better now than it ever has been. And what diffences exist now are usually nice differences (meaning variety of choice). With WP and iOS you get one flavor only. Some people prefer that. Some don't.

Lag. Yep you're right. Of the 3 OSs, Android is the least smooth. Barely. But it also boasts more capabilities than the other two. It's a trade-off so I'll call this a tie.

Now here's one thing I can't solve for you: the lack of apps on WP. Some defenders of WP always use the same excuse, that the essential apps are there. No they aren't. My bank, good music apps, VPN app, favorite popular password vault, store apps etc are NOT there. Nor are a ton of other specialty apps too long to list here. Those are essential apps, not "Facebook".

Does this mean you're going to discount everything I've listed now as "going into a tizzy"? Because from where I stand, it sounds more like plain sense. WP can't even break out of the single digit market share so I'd say I'm being pretty obvious.

None of this means I dislike WP. On the contrary I happen to think it's pretty nicely done. The problem is that not only does it not offer anything compelling that I can't already get on an android or iPhone, it lacks a competitive app selection on top of that. That right there in a nutshell is exactly why WP isn't succeeding at getting anyone to switch. Terrible app selection without offering anything compelling enough to offset that.
    The only real solution to that is for WP to somehow reinvent the entire way data is consumed on smartphones. Web Apps were once upon a time thought to be the next step in evolution but that approach failed miserably. Over the years I think I van safely say I've heard All of the arguments used to claim WP (and Blackberry for that matter) is a better way to go, but unfortunately the test of time has proven otherwise. Now we're at the point where even the hardcore true believers are all abandoning ship. Even Paul Thurott is shutting his site down and MaryJo Foley came right out and said on air that she won't recommend WP to others
    You wanted a response here you go

Crashing Apps: I shouldn't have to sift through thousands of responses to find out if an app crashes. I go by rating, i don't expect highly rated apps to be buggy

Battery life: Its not very good versus my 3 year old lumia 1020 but usage varies by user.

Lag: Agreed

Design: i like material design but i find that far too many apps are designed to be navigated differently. I'm sure this will improve over time.

I never said i don't like android i just like WP more. Pointing out the negatives of one platform doesn't mean i hate another. We can all just like what we like.

BTW Paul Thurott has NOT shut down his site its now at www.thurott.com and Mary Jo has never really been onboard with WP to begin with.
    04-14-2015 12:57 PM
    Battery life: Its not very good versus my 3 year old lumia 1020 but usage varies by user.
    Lucky you, as you stated definitely varies between users because my Lumia 1020 battery barely lasted through my work day, and that didnt include taking pictures. One of WP big problems during WP8 was the random battery drain, it was brutal on my 920. 8.1 definitely corrected the random battery draining (idle battery was great) but as soon as id use the device on my 1020 I could watch the battery get eaten away.

----

As for the people saying they prefer not to require micro managing their devices and WP does not require that, I did nothing but micromanage my 920/1020. Go to WPC and you will see most of the conversation revolve around learning what to disable and manage to improve battery life (except for the 1520, that phone has incredible battery life). I have always needed to learn a great deal in depth about WP and Android in order to disable/turn off unnecessary things eating the battery. iOS is the only OS that requires very little management, but thats mainly because the optimization is built on process idling and lack of customization.

Again, there were many things I loved about WP7/8.1...but for people to say WP doesnt require any micromanaging or fiddling around to help resolve unnecessary battery drain is in denial. It's zippier than Android from a UI prospective, i give it that...but I could also list a bunch of disadvantages as well (that dont revolve around app gap).
    04-14-2015 01:35 PM
    The S6 isn't perfect; no phone is. You're just mad because I don't agree with your amusing phone comparisons.
    Not mad at all...I like that different people, even you, have an opinion! That's why I come to this Forum. I've never said anything derogatory or personal in your direction so maybe you should consider toning down your comments just a tad.

Anyway, we can have a healthy disagreement on the lag and battery life. The lag is there and very obvious to me, but not so much to you and that's fine. Interesting that there are a lot of posts popping up about battery life, though, as the S6 gets more widely distributed. And, T-Mobile confirmed to me that they agree there is a battery drain issue on WiFi that they have asked Google to fix (although I see lots of Verizon people starting to complain about the same thing too).

That said, from your screenshots, it's obvious you have a phone that's working for you and I think that's great! I'm pretty confident that with a small software update, we will all have phones operating brilliantly because other than these two (fixable) issues, the S6 is pretty fantastic!
    04-14-2015 01:39 PM
    Not mad at all...I like that different people, even you, have an opinion! That's why I come to this Forum. I've never said anything derogatory or personal in your direction so maybe you should consider toning down your comments just a tad.

Anyway, we can have a healthy disagreement on the lag and battery life. The lag is there and very obvious to me, but not so much to you and that's fine. Interesting that there are a lot of posts popping up about battery life, though, as the S6 gets more widely distributed. And, T-Mobile confirmed to me that they agree there is a battery drain issue on WiFi that they have asked Google to fix (although I see lots of Verizon people starting to complain about the same thing too).

That said, from your screenshots, it's obvious you have a phone that's working for you and I think that's great! I'm pretty confident that with a small software update, we will all have phones operating brilliantly because other than these two (fixable) issues, the S6 is pretty fantastic!
    I've never said anything personal or derogatory towards you, either. I've said there's a clear issue in regards to battery life, but it's not anything out of the ordinary as it's a Lollipop issue. Some of us have it; some of us don't. What should be focused on, though, is that the actual battery life of this device is evident when someone doesn't suffer from that issue. For those of us that don't, the S6 battery life is pretty solid, especially for a 2600 mah battery.

I don't really see the lag you're talking about. I see normal Android stutter from time to time, but nothing that's really exclusive to the S6. It's things I'd find on my Nexus 6. For the record, there's times the iPhone 6 will stutter, too, though there's just so little to the OS that it's few and far between. Now if this was unusual lag that plagued the S5, I think it'd be an issue. It just isn't. Touchwiz is far smoother than it's previous iteration, even on the Note 4.
    Techno-guy likes this.
    04-14-2015 01:55 PM
    I had a windows phone about 4-5 years ago. I'll never go back to it. Not enough screen space for windows set up. Great for a tablet
    04-14-2015 02:00 PM
    You wanted a response here you go

Crashing Apps: I shouldn't have to sift through thousands of responses to find out if an app crashes. I go by rating, i don't expect highly rated apps to be buggy

Lag: Agreed

Design: i like material design but i find that far too many apps are designed to be navigated differently. I'm sure this will improve over time.

I never said i don't like android i just like WP more. Pointing out the negatives of one platform doesn't mean i hate another. We can all just like what we like.

BTW Paul Thurott has NOT shut down his site its now at www.thurott.com and Mary Jo has never really been onboard with WP to begin with.
    I still don't get your apps argument. Even the regular crew at WC all bemoan the quality of existing WP apps regularly besides just the lack of selection. As for your battery response I already stated it depends on the manufacturer. Android was the word used to describe "bad batteries" not the S6 specifically, so I wasn't responding to the S6 specifically either. I also had quite a bit to say about the success rate of WP and how it's been received by the public over the years but I noticed you declined to address any of that. No opinion on the matter? I stated my opinion on why that's the case and I do not subscribe to the advertising argument in case you're considering that as an explanation.
    04-14-2015 02:43 PM
    To each his own. I would never bash ones opinion. It is what it is. I had the guy at Verizon trying to steer me away from the S6. Finally told him

"dude youre not going to change my mind. Get the black one before I start shaking"
    anon8380037 and Gray Area like this.
    04-14-2015 02:48 PM
    To each his own. I would never bash ones opinion. It is what it is. I had the guy at Verizon trying to steer me away from the S6. Finally told him

"dude youre not going to change my mind. Get the black one before I start shaking"
    You actually had someone try to steer you away from it? That's comical.

04-14-2015 03:02 PM
86 1234