07-31-2015 06:18 AM
86 1234
tools
    @ All..

Hey we all love great discussion, debates and constructive criticism. However just because you have a bad experience or just don't like a platform doesn't give you a green light to come into a forum and bash it or others because it didn't suit your tastes. Again, your welcome to explain your reasons why and debate and discuss it but please don't attempt to drive or steer others away just because of your own preferences.

Also if it is something pertaining to a particular device verses another please check out our Phone Wars forums, chances are there might be a thread in there featuring the device and or platform your discussing and you can jump in there for a more specific discussion.

Edit/Update: There is also our Other OS/Devices platform forums you can strike up a conversation in too http://forums.androidcentral.com/other-os-s-devices/

Thanks all !

Paul
    Mod Team Leader @ AC.
    04-14-2015 03:04 PM
    To each his own. I would never bash ones opinion. It is what it is. I had the guy at Verizon trying to steer me away from the S6. Finally told him

"dude youre not going to change my mind. Get the black one before I start shaking"
    That happened.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-14-2015 03:08 PM
    @ All..

Hey we all love great discussion, debates and constructive criticism. However just because you have a bad experience or just don't like a platform doesn't give you a green light to come into a forum and bash it or others because it didn't suit your tastes. Again, your welcome to explain your reasons why and debate and discuss it but please don't attempt to drive or steer others away just because of your own preferences.

Also if it is something pertaining to a particular device verses another please check out our Phone Wars forums, chances are there might be a thread in there featuring the device and or platform your discussing and you can jump in there for a more specific discussion.

Thanks all !

Paul
    Mod Team Leader @ AC.
    Especially if the thing you don't like about the device is something that could be corrected/changed.
    04-14-2015 03:09 PM
    Especially if the thing you don't like about the device is something that could be corrected/changed.
    True.

Just waiting for the Mobile Nations "Mobile Phone Wars" to begin. Each site will take their respective positions and look foolish defending it to no end. This includes Android, Windows, iOS, Blackberry, etc. We have options and we should enjoy these options. No piece of technology is perfect and each may do something better than the other.
    Paul627g and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-14-2015 04:00 PM
    I can solve your entire list almost.

Crashing apps: easily solved by paying more attention to Play Store ratings. It's ridiculously easy nowadays by shopping for the best products. You wouldn't buy a crappy rated item in a store, so why would you buy a badly rated app? Android doesn't crash apps, badly written apps crash apps. And even the folks on Windows Central all complain about the bad quality and quantity of the Windows Store apps so I don't know how this is even an argument.

Bad battery life: totally depends on which manufacturer you buy from. Xperia and Note phones have incredible battery life. Many others are average. Very few are "bad" and those are usually budget phones.

Inconsistent design: this is better now than it ever has been. And what diffences exist now are usually nice differences (meaning variety of choice). With WP and iOS you get one flavor only. Some people prefer that. Some don't.

Lag. Yep you're right. Of the 3 OSs, Android is the least smooth. Barely. But it also boasts more capabilities than the other two. It's a trade-off so I'll call this a tie.

Now here's one thing I can't solve for you: the lack of apps on WP. Some defenders of WP always use the same excuse, that the essential apps are there. No they aren't. My bank, good music apps, VPN app, favorite popular password vault, store apps etc are NOT there. Nor are a ton of other specialty apps too long to list here. Those are essential apps, not "Facebook".

Does this mean you're going to discount everything I've listed now as "going into a tizzy"? Because from where I stand, it sounds more like plain sense. WP can't even break out of the single digit market share so I'd say I'm being pretty obvious.

None of this means I dislike WP. On the contrary I happen to think it's pretty nicely done. The problem is that not only does it not offer anything compelling that I can't already get on an android or iPhone, it lacks a competitive app selection on top of that. That right there in a nutshell is exactly why WP isn't succeeding at getting anyone to switch. Terrible app selection without offering anything compelling enough to offset that.
    The only real solution to that is for WP to somehow reinvent the entire way data is consumed on smartphones. Web Apps were once upon a time thought to be the next step in evolution but that approach failed miserably. Over the years I think I van safely say I've heard All of the arguments used to claim WP (and Blackberry for that matter) is a better way to go, but unfortunately the test of time has proven otherwise. Now we're at the point where even the hardcore true believers are all abandoning ship. Even Paul Thurott is shutting his site down and MaryJo Foley came right out and said on air that she won't recommend WP to others
    you sir, deserve a standing ovation ... a perfectly stated, fair and honest opinion, well done
    04-14-2015 04:16 PM
    I still have my Lumia 820, which is a great media player. However, the lack of Google Voice/GV client (essential for me), is a deal breaker. I know that there is a workaround, but it's too clumsy for me. Also, I love ES File Explorer (Android) to stream music/video from my PC. There is also another app that runs in conjunction with my radar detector, in which there isn't an app on Windows.

If Windows 10 allows running Android apps, a Windows 10 phone may be on my list to be my main phone. I like the fluidity of Windows and some of it's features (reading of texts), etc.
    04-14-2015 07:07 PM
    I have a Lumia 920 which I had for over 2 years now and aside from it falling apart, there are a lot of apps that are missing when compared to iOS and Android. A lot of times there are no substitutes for these apps that can be found in the windows store and I think it's a shame because the Windows phone OS is top notch. It's very, very smooth and stable. The apps when they do exist are also very good and stable. Battery life was awesome if used sparingly. If I used something like yelp or Facebook then the phone would heat up and warn about quick discharge like 5% in the last 15 mins.
    Hopefully the switch to android will be worth it!
    04-14-2015 08:29 PM
    I have nothing against Windows but as an OS i prefer not to use it if i can help it. are the phones better? i beleive the last one i had was a tmobile one. i liked it but after my first android i cant do it. then again that was like 9 years ago
    04-15-2015 02:33 AM
    To each his own. I would never bash ones opinion. It is what it is. I had the guy at Verizon trying to steer me away from the S6. Finally told him

"dude youre not going to change my mind. Get the black one before I start shaking"
    Awesome rebuttal! What was his reasons for trying to steer you away? I hate when salesmen try to impose their bias on a customer. Especially when they weren't even asked for their opinion! Just give me the info on the phone if I ask your opinion give me an unbiased professional opinion! This is your job for goodness sake! Not fanboy politics discussion hour. Lol

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App
    S6ER, Laura Knotek and Almeuit like this.
    04-15-2015 07:58 AM
    Windows phones added something to the life of its users but I think still have to compete a lot to bring up its apps and results up to the level of android phones.
    04-15-2015 01:54 PM
    Awesome rebuttal! What was his reasons for trying to steer you away? I hate when salesmen try to impose their bias on a customer. Especially when they weren't even asked for their opinion! Just give me the info on the phone if I ask your opinion give me an unbiased professional opinion! This is your job for goodness sake! Not fanboy politics discussion hour. Lol

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge(S is for Super) via the Android Central App
    I cant remember the exact phone. It might be the new LG. I'm thinking he was trying to neg the idea because the S6 has a sealed battery with no SD card. I can care less about an SD card. More than one way to skin a cat and I dont care about the battery as long as it last almost 2 days.

Other than that he was alright. I forgave him once he placed the S6 in the palm of my hands. Cloud 9 happened
    Laura Knotek, tgp and Gray Area like this.
    04-15-2015 02:02 PM
    Android is my favorite mobile OS, I use multiple gmail accounts on my Galaxy S5 and it works great. Windows Phone isn't bad though. Just wish it had more apps available and a better UI...
    04-15-2015 05:11 PM
    I've only had 2 Windows phones in my entire life and both were Nokias. They were both returned to the store within the next couple days of purchase, and its almost like the reps there already knew what I was doing before I walked through the door. You know, that "I told you so" attitude. The 2nd time the manager even waived the restocking fee without me even asking. I was a little shocked because the phone seemed like it was selling OK but once I messed around on the app store I knew exactly why. Apps didn't even feel like apps, but more like a webapp with a wrapper. I think it was mostly because everything was so flat. Nothing "popped" and to me it just wasn't acceptable. Everybody in the store agreed.

One thing I really did enjoy about it was the keyboard. Man oh man I wish I could have that EXACT keyboard on my S6. I would be in heaven.

04-15-2015 05:21 PM

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge������(S is for Super) via the Android Central App
    Agreed. I mean I don't mind if they try once or whatever (they have to push things -- it is their job and it is human nature to push what they like) but .. They also need to respect when the response is no and not press the issue .
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-15-2015 05:31 PM
    Although I've been experiencing some small aesthetic bugs on my Android email apps (especially Gmail), I never really had a problem with multiple emails on my Android account when it comes to functionality.

I've always wanted to try out WP for myself, but the lack of apps that I use on a regular basis (esp. Creation apps) is still hindering me. Whatever works for you, I hope you will be happy with your choice.
    04-15-2015 05:36 PM
    Apps didn't even feel like apps, but more like a webapp with a wrapper.
    That's pretty much what a lot of them are; web wrappers.

One thing I really did enjoy about it was the keyboard. Man oh man I wish I could have that EXACT keyboard on my S6.
    I agree with you here. IMHO the WP keyboard is the best stock keyboard. Android's is great as well. I HATE the iOS keyboard (anything without the sliding feature is automatically out)! I use Swiftkey on Android, which I like even better than WP's. But stock? Give me WP's offering.
    Laura Knotek and imnjs like this.
    04-15-2015 08:00 PM
    Well I guess that theory goes out the window now with project Astoria. Basically there will be almost no app on android or ios that does not exist on windows phone. No matter what anyone says to detract from Android, what it accomplished has been truly impressive and monumental. With that said... it is still a crappy OS. It still lags, still stutters and requires a NASA level computer to run it haveway smooth. Throwing hardware at the problem is not a solution! Windows phone can run on a 5 year old chip with 500MB of ram and barely a stutter, come on folks... were not talking about preferences, were talking facts here.
    05-11-2015 07:46 AM
    Uuuuuhhhhgggg! I can't do android, wp, or ios anymore!!! They all suck compared to the Samsung instinct! Don't remember the OS but man, it was the bomb!

Honestly, i like all platforms as they keep things in check.i just prefer android.

05-11-2015 07:34 PM
    Best of luck. I got a brand new Titan II a few years ago running Windows 7.5 and it was an amazing device. It was fast fluid and responsive but unless you don't use apps on the phone you will miss Android or Apple phones. After awhile I was miserable and couldn't wait to go back to my Android phone. The apps DO make the difference if you actually use them that's for sure.

The Galaxy S6 is a hell of a device. That's what pretty much everyone has said at least. I'm battling with my best judgment whether to purchase the S6 or G4 at this time. Other than those 2 phones nothing else catches my attention.

Choose wisely

.: Sent from my 'Android til I die' Phone or Tablet :.
    05-11-2015 08:04 PM
    Yeah, I just moved to an S6 after being on WP for a few years and there is a lot I miss that others have mentioned - more fluid OS, more seamless email & calendar experience, more interactive/personalized start screen. S6 Fingerprint scanner is really nice though and I couldn't do without the apps any longer. Notifications are a mixed bag for me..really like how each app service can have its own settings but wish they were more centrally managed.

The perfect smartphone hasn't been invented yet. We need elements from iOS, Android, and WP to come together. Also need a device with high quality feel, removable battery, sd external, thin, water/dirt proof, drop proof, 3 day battery, & ability to seamlessly play voice & video on all modern car radios, TV's, PC's, and gaming consoles.
    05-11-2015 08:37 PM
    Windows 7/7.5/8 we're awesome minus the crappy apps. 8.1 has removed all that made windows phone os unique and cool. Windows 10 doesn't go in the right direction, too bad I had high hopes.

I'll stick with Android for the next long while.

05-11-2015 08:44 PM
    I've had a Windows Phone for the past two years and bought an S6 last week. I wanted to stick with WP, but the app situation got to me as well as the lack of a flagship with a superior camera on ATT. So far, I'm impressed with the hardware, but I'm having some trouble learning the flow of the Android OS and how to optimize it. I've gotten poor battery life so far on this phone. I prefer WP's wordflow keyboard, start screen, navigation, services. I'm hoping Windows 10 solves the app situation because as of right now, I can't wait to ditch Android. If only iOS had a back button and didn't have iTunes.
    Anyways, these are just my thoughts. Haven't really had the phone too long, so I can't give a reasonable comparison yet. Hopefully some of you veterans can help with battery life settings.
    05-12-2015 03:49 PM
    Windows still makes phones? I thought they died with blackberry.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    05-12-2015 04:28 PM
    The smoothest and most consistent android phone I have used is HTC M8, the nexus phones are probably even smoother. The Sony Z3 has amazing battery life. The S6 has an amazing screen. The S6 and G4 have brilliant cameras. I will admit that there is no perfect android phone but android is getting so very close.

dreaming of electric sheep
    05-12-2015 04:45 PM
    Honestly, android cannot match the fluidity, responsiveness, & ease of use of windows phone. Trying to use email & calendar with multiple accounts on android is a cluster.
    I owned a windows smartphone. Worst and most limited phone I've ever owned.

05-12-2015 05:47 PM
86 1234