Samsung Galaxy S6 Going back to Windows phone.

benualson

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, android cannot match the fluidity, responsiveness, & ease of use of windows phone. Trying to use email & calendar with multiple accounts on android is a cluster.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, android cannot match the fluidity, responsiveness, & ease of use of windows phone. Trying to use email & calendar with multiple accounts on android is a cluster.

And wp cannot match the apps on android. Give and take. Personally I have never had any issues using multiple emails on my android. Have you tried outlook?

Posted via Nexus 6!

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Going back to Windows phone.

Story of windows phone - No Google services, no quality apps, no new apps, existing apps left to die without updates, metro UI is cool for a couple of weeks then gets really boring.

If your are not using lot of apps, OK with slow crappy 3rd party apps then yes Windows phone is alright.

ballaonnabudget

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

You've never used windows phone have you? Android guys get in such a tizzy when someone doesn't like their platform its really sad. I'm coming from WP and everything the OP said is spot on but that doesn't mean that android is a bad platform its just not for him. Just like WP is not for you. Honestly I find windows phone to be a much better OS (excluding apps) but as a complete platform it lacks some apps that I need. All things equal android to me is the lesser of the 3 platforms. That may change in the next few weeks but some of the reasons I left the android platform in 2010 are still present in 2015 (bad battery life, inconsistent design, lag and crashing apps). Just my opinion...

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Lol...I have owned every windows phone flagship that's released. Being in Seattle area has it's advantages when it comes to windows phone. People like you get in such a tizzy when someone shoots down windows phone... Always come with the same "You haven't used windows phone". Not necessarily everyone likes to suffer thru a low quality ecosystem.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

What problems are you having exactly? Maybe I can help
I personally use Samsung's email app which works fine for all my emails
Did you try finding other email apps on the Play Store? I'm sure you can find one that meets your requirements

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

This is the funniest thing I've heard all week. Windows phones ease of use is AWFUL. The return rate for Windows phone is over 60%! The lack of apps, support and inconsistencies is astounding.

You obviously didn't give Android a chance, because it takes more than a week to understand how to use it.

Enjoy Windows and it's ridiculous Lego UI.

Posted via the Android Central App

ibuyufo

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

How do you transfer text messages from windows phone into android? I'm getting my S6 edge this Friday.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

How do you transfer text messages from windows phone into android? I'm getting my S6 edge this Friday.

What carrier do you have? If you have AT&T, you can use AT&T Backup to transfer
If not, try and find a SMS Backup app from the windows app store to transfer

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

You've never used windows phone have you? Android guys get in such a tizzy when someone doesn't like their platform its really sad. I'm coming from WP and everything the OP said is spot on but that doesn't mean that android is a bad platform its just not for him. Just like WP is not for you. Honestly I find windows phone to be a much better OS (excluding apps) but as a complete platform it lacks some apps that I need. All things equal android to me is the lesser of the 3 platforms. That may change in the next few weeks but some of the reasons I left the android platform in 2010 are still present in 2015 (bad battery life, inconsistent design, lag and crashing apps). Just my opinion...

I can solve your entire list almost.

Crashing apps: easily solved by paying more attention to Play Store ratings. It's ridiculously easy nowadays by shopping for the best products. You wouldn't buy a crappy rated item in a store, so why would you buy a badly rated app? Android doesn't crash apps, badly written apps crash apps. And even the folks on Windows Central all complain about the bad quality and quantity of the Windows Store apps so I don't know how this is even an argument.

Bad battery life: totally depends on which manufacturer you buy from. Xperia and Note phones have incredible battery life. Many others are average. Very few are "bad" and those are usually budget phones.

Inconsistent design: this is better now than it ever has been. And what diffences exist now are usually nice differences (meaning variety of choice). With WP and iOS you get one flavor only. Some people prefer that. Some don't.

Lag. Yep you're right. Of the 3 OSs, Android is the least smooth. Barely. But it also boasts more capabilities than the other two. It's a trade-off so I'll call this a tie.

Now here's one thing I can't solve for you: the lack of apps on WP. Some defenders of WP always use the same excuse, that the essential apps are there. No they aren't. My bank, good music apps, VPN app, favorite popular password vault, store apps etc are NOT there. Nor are a ton of other specialty apps too long to list here. Those are essential apps, not "Facebook".

Does this mean you're going to discount everything I've listed now as "going into a tizzy"? Because from where I stand, it sounds more like plain sense. WP can't even break out of the single digit market share so I'd say I'm being pretty obvious.

None of this means I dislike WP. On the contrary I happen to think it's pretty nicely done. The problem is that not only does it not offer anything compelling that I can't already get on an android or iPhone, it lacks a competitive app selection on top of that. That right there in a nutshell is exactly why WP isn't succeeding at getting anyone to switch. Terrible app selection without offering anything compelling enough to offset that.
The only real solution to that is for WP to somehow reinvent the entire way data is consumed on smartphones. Web Apps were once upon a time thought to be the next step in evolution but that approach failed miserably. Over the years I think I van safely say I've heard All of the arguments used to claim WP (and Blackberry for that matter) is a better way to go, but unfortunately the test of time has proven otherwise. Now we're at the point where even the hardcore true believers are all abandoning ship. Even Paul Thurott is shutting his site down and MaryJo Foley came right out and said on air that she won't recommend WP to others

ibuyufo

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

What carrier do you have? If you have AT&T, you can use AT&T Backup to transfer
If not, try and find a SMS Backup app from the windows app store to transfer
Thank you so much and I am with AT&T! I can't wait until I get the phone. I've never had an android phone before so I think I'll probably be spending a lot of time playing with it!.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

This is the funniest thing I've heard all week. Windows phones ease of use is AWFUL. The return rate for Windows phone is over 60%! The lack of apps, support and inconsistencies is astounding.

You obviously didn't give Android a chance, because it takes more than a week to understand how to use it.

Enjoy Windows and it's ridiculous Lego UI.

Joe would know since he deals with these customers on a daily basis. Whether one likes Android or not its impossible to deny its overall ecosystem is far more advanced and further along than Windows. To Windows credit you have to start somewhere but how many years has it been and its still behind? I remember a year or two ago my friend couldn't even find an Instagram application on Windows. A lot of the so called "apps" were shortcuts to a mobile web browser.

Not to say its bad. I've barely used a Windows phone. However, I know from the limited use that its behind.

kodos

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site

I just came from WP 8.1 and a Lumia 1520. Now have a S6 Edge.

I miss the great battery life (2 days of use!), and the live tile interface. Cortana integration was getting better and better, and the platform itself was great. It was smooth and pretty good overall.

I just couldn't hack the apps, and lack of a new flagship phone. My bank pulled its app from the store, the Kindle app was woefully bad, the apps I use for Bible study (Logos) never materialized, etc.

But I do miss it. I feel like I have to micromanage Android a bit more. I don't mind , but some might actually be better off in WP if it weren't for the apps.

Now, I kept my 1520, and will install WP 10 on it someday. Love that phone, but love my S6 Edge a bit more :)

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Left windows phone after my lumia 1020 receieved the 8.1 update and made my phone a complete mess (tons of freezing, black screens, crashes, horrible lag and inconsistency of performance). Coming to a Nexus 5 was a breathe of fresh air, and now my S6 is truly a masterpiece.

While I loved WP7/8 with all my heart, the changes to streamline the OS basically changed the whole experience for me. I really did love WP, exclusive for 2 years but am not a fan of the direction Microsoft is taking things.

Meh, I personally think this thread a a bait and hook but felt like I wanted to express my past love of WP.

Posted via S6

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I left Windows Phone after Pocket PC. :)

Did an update to my $600 Pocket PC... the screen said if it didn't respond after 5 minutes to reboot it. An online document I discovered a week later said (though the screen says to reboot after 5 minutes, you must wait 20 minutes.) Result=brick. Compaq said it's an OS problem. Microsoft said they're not responsible.

Good times. (sorry for the derail)

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I had a couple of Windows phones and actually loved the interface and operating system. It was the lack of apps that did it in for me, and even though Nokia is supposed to be great, I found the phones weren't as good as Android phones for signal strength. I would get no service, where my wife's Galaxy 3 would have 2 bars, and no problem holding a call.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

Be prepared for more ire...some of these guys really get bent out of shape if you point out that some of the other platforms do things better (like battery life or smoothness).

For what it's worth, I'm glad to be back in the Android world (for the moment) but having been a heavy Windows Phone user, some in the Android community have no idea how good the Windows Phone OS is, how strong the battery life is and how fluid the touch operations are (like scrolling, transitioning between screens, etc.). It really is a brilliant OS.

Cortana absolutely rocks and is far ahead of Siri or Google Now for things you actually need to do on your phone. All that said, the lack of Apps on Windows Phone is maddening sometimes.

Good luck to you and enjoy the OS that works for you!!! Glad you gave Android a shot, at least, so you know what's out there!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad