Samsung Galaxy S6 What exactly is Cell Standby in battery usage stats?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I know this has been an issue with some on T-Mobile draining their batteries.

What exactly is the intent of Cell Standby when it displays as a percentage of battery use? If you look at it literally it sounds like it's time when your cell radios are on standby awaiting to be used. Whenever I'm connected to Wi-Fi my Cell Standby starts counting up second by second. While at work today my cell standby was less 1% over 8 hours. Now at home on Wi-Fi it's up to 10% over the past 4-5 hours.

To me, this makes it sounds like it is reporting properly but why would it drain battery if Wi-Fi is connected and the cell signal is "on standby" whatever that really means. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what is wrong and what can be done short of never using Wi-Fi. I have unlimited data but that's besides the point. My battery is awesome if I turn off Wi-Fi completely but goes downhill fast when I turn on Wi-Fi.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: What exactly is Cell Standby in battery usage stats?

As you're probably aware, this is a bug that is being reported on S6's on various carriers, not just T-Mobile. Check out this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/513541-cell-standby-battery-drain.html

It sounds like for some reason, when you're on wi-fi, the cell radio is inappropriately working overtime to get signal. If it has to do with wi-fi calling, then perhaps there's a glitch in the code where the cell radio thinks it needs to find a signal since it's no longer being used for calling. Hopefully, Samsung will fix this soon.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I'm on Verizon and I have the same issue and Verizon doesn't even offer WiFi calling. But if you're on TMobile and you don't use WiFi calling, it's worth a shot turning it off to see if it helps. I think Cell Standby includes the WiFi radio. When I use a 3rd party battery monitor (GSam), it shows that WiFi is the culprit of the large drain and not the Phone Radio which is listed as separate. If I keep off WiFi my battery is much better. Also, my battery drains extra fast when I have WiFi on but am not connected to a network. When I'm connected it appears to be less drain but still more than when just on LTE.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

As you're probably aware, this is a bug that is being reported on S6's on various carriers, not just T-Mobile. Check out this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/513541-cell-standby-battery-drain.html

It sounds like for some reason, when you're on wi-fi, the cell radio is inappropriately working overtime to get signal. If it has to do with wi-fi calling, then perhaps there's a glitch in the code where the cell radio thinks it needs to find a signal since it's no longer being used for calling. Hopefully, Samsung will fix this soon.

Very good explanation. Exactly what I suspect is going on. Not sure why it doesn't affect all phones (some people don't seem to have it at all) but T-Mobile confirmed for me there is an issue and they are waiting on a Google fix.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

I have had Wi-Fi calling off since day 1.

My battery drain is worst when Wi-Fi is on and I'm connected to Wi-Fi.
It's normal when Wi-Fi is on or off and I'm not connected to Wi-Fi.

It seems my only option is to turn off Wi-Fi, which is not really acceptable.

berndts

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site

Hi folks - am on Verizon and bought an S6 standard version. Came from Samsung Ativ SE (WinPhone). Overall, I really like the phone, and like Android OS as well. However, unfortunately I also experience the battery drain which seems to be related to WiFi and Cell stand-by. During the day when on Cell only, I haven't noticed any cell-standby, however when home and on Wifi, the cell-standby figure goes steadily up and was at 19% by the time I plugged it in. The charge was 100% when I went to bed - I unplugged to see how much battery drain I would get. This morning it was down to 78%. Wow. that's bad. I followed all the suggestions that I read on here, turning off most of Google Service syncs, no scanning for Wifi, etc. so not sure what more to turn off.
Has anybody heard whether Google, Samsung or Verizon/Att are aware of this and actively working on a fix? Even though I really like this phone, I might have to return it before the 14 days are over if this issue doesn't get fixed since this is unfortunately not acceptable for me. My previous Samsung maybe lost 1% over night.
...and yes...I am often in the situation that I can't just plug it in over night, so the drain over night is an issue.
thanks much for any info!

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Hi folks - am on Verizon and bought an S6 standard version. Came from Samsung Ativ SE (WinPhone). Overall, I really like the phone, and like Android OS as well. However, unfortunately I also experience the battery drain which seems to be related to WiFi and Cell stand-by. During the day when on Cell only, I haven't noticed any cell-standby, however when home and on Wifi, the cell-standby figure goes steadily up and was at 19% by the time I plugged it in. The charge was 100% when I went to bed - I unplugged to see how much battery drain I would get. This morning it was down to 78%. Wow. that's bad. I followed all the suggestions that I read on here, turning off most of Google Service syncs, no scanning for Wifi, etc. so not sure what more to turn off.
Has anybody heard whether Google, Samsung or Verizon/Att are aware of this and actively working on a fix? Even though I really like this phone, I might have to return it before the 14 days are over if this issue doesn't get fixed since this is unfortunately not acceptable for me. My previous Samsung maybe lost 1% over night.
...and yes...I am often in the situation that I can't just plug it in over night, so the drain over night is an issue.

Just curious, does Verizon charge a restocking fee like T-Mobile ($50)?

ecfritts

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

I'm on AT&T...at home on Wi Fi and my Cell Standby was 21%. Hopefully they fix this soon.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

Have you tried clearing the cache (volume up + power + home at same time) and then turn on Advanced Calling? Supposedly it helps slme people with this issue on Verizon. Can't tell if it's helping me or not yet. Cell standby is definitely down but can't tell if my overall battery life is helped.

berndts

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site

I actually did it this morning. now after being at work all day where I'm on cell only - no cell stand-by drain....now back at home and cell stand-by is again at 13% and climbing. I called up Verizon support...they are not even aware of the specific issue other than "short battery life"....so the support agent made me go through applications and telling me that TuneIn or Spotify are battery drainers...I told her that that doesn't really have anything to do with the cell standby...but they don't have any KB article on that yet...but...she connected me with Samsung...

Talked to the Samsung Technical Support...I was told I could send in the phone for repair...I asked her whether they are actually aware of a battery drain issue for the S6 and she said, yes, they are aware of it and apparently are working on some solution..she then said that she couldn't tell me how long that would take though - she also said that they weren't sure whether it was a software only fix.....I said...well...I might just return the phone then since I can't do with 35 % battery drain over night...and she said...yes, that's what she would do as well ...oh well...not the answer that I wanted to hear...but that's likely what I'm going to do unless I hear before my 14 days are over, that there is a fix in the works with a tentative timeline.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

Talked to the Samsung Technical Support...I was told I could send in the phone for repair...I asked her whether they are actually aware of a battery drain issue for the S6 and she said, yes, they are aware of it and apparently are working on some solution..she then said that she couldn't tell me how long that would take though

This is consistent with my call to T-Mobile who said they were aware of the Cell standby issue and that Samsung/Google were working on a solution...not encouraging, though, that she encouraged you to return the phone!

berndts

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site

well - that's bizarre - my previous post must have been deleted, maybe because I relayed some information that came directly from Samsung that wasn't too positive. Anyways - let's try this again maybe in a more neutral way?...Steveksi - yes, I followed exactly those steps, safe mode clearing cache...unfortunately after coming home and connecting to the Wifi network, it's the same again...14% cell standby drain and increasing. I find it bizarre that not everybody seems to be having this issue - you would think if it was a software (or hardware issue) it would be the same for everybody. When i talked to Verizon, they didn't have much clue. I talked to Samsung and they said they were aware of the issue, and are investigating. I wont' say more what else they said...cause then my post will be deleted again...anyways...I know what I'll be doing at least as a temporary solution.

berndts

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site

yeah...rather a weird thing to say, coming from a Samsung Tech Support...I guess if you can wait it out, it'll probably get fixed at some point sooner than later...not sure whether I'll be hanging in or returning it and just getting it back when the issue is fixed. (PS. just posted my previous post again since I couldn't find it, but must have been a caching issue sorry for the double post). I think it would actually help Samsung if they were open about it and communicating the status of their research rather than staying quiet. If I knew what the approximate time frame was, I would probably keep it and wait it out.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site

Simple solution to this that works for me immediately:

Turn off WiFi calling and turn if VoLTE.

After I did that, I never again saw cell standby on the list of top battery usage.

VoLTE is turned off by hitting "more" on the phone app.

Posted via the Android Central App

counterhit121

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
For everyone suggesting to disable WiFi to resolve the issue, I hope you all recognize that this is not a long-term, and hardly even an acceptable interim, solution in any way.

Posted via the Android Central App

mrgiven

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Cell standby is KILLING my battery! It was around 65% last night when I put it on vibrate and left it on for the night. This morning it was at 62%. It seems to not affect it much if not being used but it drops precipitously once being used. This is unacceptable and turning off WiFi is too!

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Last night I did a restore on my phone hoping to cure the standby issue. I set up the phone as new and logged into my Google and Samsung accounts, connected to Wi-Fi and that's it. Nothing else. Disabled nothing and changed no settings. It auto-updated my apps.

Then I plugged in my phone. When it was fully charged I locked the screen and went to bed. I was expecting my battery to be at like 70 something odd % but when I woke up it was at 98%! No cell standby at all. I think restoring and starting fresh on 5.02 may have gotten rid of the issue.

Now to see if I have any weird drain after I download all my apps. I have a feeling that 3rd party apps may be bigger battery hogs than any of these settings fixes we all see posted. I'll keep you all posted on how my battery does today and if cell standby comes back tonight. It probably won't today since I can't connect to Wi-Fi.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Last night I did a restore on my phone hoping to cure the standby issue. I set up the phone as new and logged into my Google and Samsung accounts, connected to Wi-Fi and that's it. Nothing else. Disabled nothing and changed no settings. It auto-updated my apps.

Then I plugged in my phone. When it was fully charged I locked the screen and went to bed. I was expecting my battery to be at like 70 something odd % but when I woke up it was at 98%! No cell standby at all. I think restoring and starting fresh on 5.02 may have gotten rid of the issue.

Now to see if I have any weird drain after I download all my apps. I have a feeling that 3rd party apps may be bigger battery hogs than any of these settings fixes we all see posted. I'll keep you all posted on how my battery does today and if cell standby comes back tonight. It probably won't today since I can't connect to Wi-Fi.

I spoke too soon. When I woke up and looked at the battery stats there was no cell standby. But just now I looked and it showed Cell Standby at 3% and climbing now that I'm on a cell signal.

This is so frustrating because it's the opposite of what was happening yesterday.

Yesterday cell standby would increase when I was on Wi-Fi and not cellular signal and today it is increasing when I'm on cellular signal and not Wi-Fi!