04-22-2015 11:03 PM
175 1234 ...
tools
    Some of you need to read these threads where there are tons of tips on battery life and implement it.

I have adjusted numerous settings of what others recommended on here and I am getting great battery life.

Yesterday for example...unplugged at approx 6:30am plugged back in at 10:30pm with 52% left. Moderate use. I am ecstatic at this battery life! So to say this phone is not capable is complete BS.
    deeb215, erasat and Jdroids like this.
    04-16-2015 05:23 AM
    LOL, wrong, think this way:

At the core, Google is an ad company, which is the foundation of its $366 billion market cap and motivation behind 1.2 billion android devices.

It's only by making these devices work as mini ads machine in some direct and indirect ways, that they are making money (granted, some of these "services" also provide some convenience for users, but nothing is must-have functions). They have precisely no reason to "fix" the mechanism the rely on to make money.

An android phone that does not consume battery to communicate with somewhere on internet when the screen is off? No way, Jose.
    I know they are at the root of it an ad company. I mentioned that explicitly in my follow up post. Apple is a marketing company that sells consumer products. The difference is Apple makes it barrier to entry very easy so a 10 year old or an 80 year old will equally feel comfortable and have a uniform experience with their hardware and software. Google on the other hand doesn't really care either way and are caught up in a numbers game because all they care about are eyeballs so their handsets are flooded in the global marketplace. My point is they could have BOTH if they wanted. They could have wide adoption AND a great optimized user experience and gain even better traction which would increase there ad platform because more people would use it because there would be more on screen time available and less of a hassle to use. It would be to their greater benefit even as a ad company the same way it is to Apple's benefit as a marketing company because then when they release new products like Wear they wouldn't be crushed in a weekend by Apple equivalent that sold more that Wear's entire existence. There are guys over at XDA that do this in their spare time and fix and make these issues more palatable. You can't tell me they couldn't easily do this internally. I know they work on the software since they release new app versions every Wednesday like clockwork. Like I said, just overall unacceptable.
    04-16-2015 05:56 AM
    Some of you need to read these threads where there are tons of tips on battery life and implement it.

I have adjusted numerous settings of what others recommended on here and I am getting great battery life.

Yesterday for example...unplugged at approx 6:30am plugged back in at 10:30pm with 52% left. Moderate use. I am ecstatic at this battery life! So to say this phone is not capable is complete BS.
    I have read the boards, made the adjustments, and still no change. Maybe you could tell us which ones worked best for you? Thanks.
    04-16-2015 05:59 AM

Amen, brother. I am amazed at those that have the hours necessary to test SoT but I appreciate their efforts. Everyone has different usage and resource management habits. Lollipop could be one of the factors and would affect more Android devices not just the GS6. Expecting to leave default device settings and a dozen apps open as well as the browser not to drain the battery is a bit much. Take some responsibility for your own device management and read some of the tips in this forum both from a resource and a hardware perspective. Not directing this comment at anyone specifically.
    deeb215 likes this.
    04-16-2015 06:01 AM
    I'm also not getting the 5 hours screen time that others are claiming. I'm loving the phone but would like to replicate others positive experience of battery life. It's not that terrible for me just not that great. I didn't really use the phone much today as you can see in screen time. Don't really want to turn everything off.

Why is my battery life so bad?-uploadfromtaptalk1429182876492.jpgWhy is my battery life so bad?-uploadfromtaptalk1429182886344.jpg
    04-16-2015 06:14 AM
    I know they are at the root of it an ad company. I mentioned that explicitly in my follow up post. Apple is a marketing company that sells consumer products. The difference is Apple makes it barrier to entry very easy so a 10 year old or an 80 year old will equally feel comfortable and have a uniform experience with their hardware and software. Google on the other hand doesn't really care either way and are caught up in a numbers game because all they care about are eyeballs so their handsets are flooded in the global marketplace. My point is they could have BOTH if they wanted. They could have wide adoption AND a great optimized user experience and gain even better traction which would increase there ad platform because more people would use it because there would be more on screen time available and less of a hassle to use. It would be to their greater benefit even as a ad company the same way it is to Apple's benefit as a marketing company because then when they release new products like Wear they wouldn't be crushed in a weekend by Apple equivalent that sold more that Wear's entire existence. There are guys over at XDA that do this in their spare time and fix and make these issues more palatable. You can't tell me they couldn't easily do this internally. I know they work on the software since they release new app versions every Wednesday like clockwork. Like I said, just overall unacceptable.
    I agree its unacceptable, but what choice do we have as end-users? Yes, they have the capability if they want to really focus on it. But They have no reason to.

They have dominate smartphone market, "getting more users" are not really something motivates them anymore. In the same time, manufacturers and carriers are on their tails for more services/functions added.

Sure bugs will get fixed easy, XDA people can do it, google can do it. The problem with the efficiency, however, is deeper than that. Whenever XDA product produces drastic improvement on battery life, mostly its due to removal or disabling services/functions. And removal of these things run opposite to google, manufacturer, carrier's benefit.

As end-users, if we do appreciate the semi-openness of android, we should not reject the idea that we may need to manually take the situation into our own hand and disable/removal things we don't need.

Thats why its strange to claim somehow the out-of-box configuration represents "what the phone should be", or that "whatever google put on is divine and should be used over other options", and any action to improve its battery by disabling things is "crippling the phone".
    jcp007 likes this.
    04-16-2015 06:33 AM
    Amen, brother. I am amazed at those that have the hours necessary to test SoT but I appreciate their efforts. Everyone has different usage and resource management habits. Lollipop could be one of the factors and would affect more Android devices not just the GS6. Expecting to leave default device settings and a dozen apps open as well as the browser not to drain the battery is a bit much. Take some responsibility for your own device management and read some of the tips in this forum both from a resource and a hardware perspective. Not directing this comment at anyone specifically.
    Totally disagree and this is old way of thinking is what Android needs to come away from. We should NOT have to micro-manage a modern device. It's absurd to buy a new, exorbitantly priced device then need to apply 101 fixes to get it working the way it should have out the box. This is exactly why Apple is so far ahead in perception, usability and profits. Please get out of the tech middle ages.
    avifors likes this.
    04-16-2015 06:37 AM
    Totally disagree and this is old way of thinking is what Android needs to come away from. We should NOT have to micro-manage a modern device. It's absurd to buy a new, exorbitantly priced device then need to apply 101 fixes to get it working the way it should have out the box. This is exactly why Apple is so far ahead in perception, usability and profits. Please get out of the tech middle ages.
    I turned off WiFi scanning, set location to battery saver, and made sure only the Google apps I use were syncing. I'm getting 15-20 hours with 4:30-5:30 hours on screen. I wouldn't say that's micromanaging at all.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge
    Jdroids likes this.
    04-16-2015 06:41 AM
    I agree its unacceptable, but what choice do we have as end-users? Yes, they have the capability if they want to really focus on it. But They have no reason to.

They have dominate smartphone market, "getting more users" are not really something motivates them anymore. In the same time, manufacturers and carriers are on their tails for more services/functions added.

Sure bugs will get fixed easy, XDA people can do it, google can do it. The problem with the efficiency, however, is deeper than that. Whenever XDA product produces drastic improvement on battery life, mostly its due to removal or disabling services/functions. And removal of these things run opposite to google, manufacturer, carrier's benefit.

As end-users, if we do appreciate the semi-openness of android, we should not reject the idea that we may need to manually take the situation into our own hand and disable/removal things we don't need.

Thats why its strange to claim somehow the out-of-box configuration represents "what the phone should be", or that "whatever google put on is divine and should be used over other options", and any action to improve its battery by disabling things is "crippling the phone".
    Here's the thing I think got overlooked in my post. As an ad company wouldn't you want more SOT. That mean's more engagement and more opportunity to sell ads. That is the metric even they should consider improving. If they could squeeze 1-2 more hours of SOT on billions of devices wouldn't that make them more $$$$$$$$$$ and we would benefit as well.
    04-16-2015 06:46 AM
    Why do you must assume "out of box" config is always the best?

There is no secret here, just look at windows pc, is out of box config the best? no. You can spend $3000 on a high end gaming pc, it still need your attention once you got it.

The question is not about if out-of-box config need to be fixed, it just is, the question is if you will do it.

Here's the thing I think got overlooked in my post. As an ad company wouldn't you want more SOT. That mean's more engagement and more opportunity to sell ads. That is the metric even they should consider improving. If they could squeeze 1-2 more hours of SOT on billions of devices wouldn't that make them more $$$$$$$$$$ and we would benefit as well.
    Thats true from our point of view. But Google ecosystem is so complex, it would not surprise me if they had calculation somewhere that says they get more benefit from a different kind of "phone-server communication" than asking people to actively use it....
    04-16-2015 06:51 AM
    Some interesting discussion here. I don't think it's a bad thing to need to tweak our devices to get them where we want them, to a reasonable degree. Most aren't tech types and don't have the time/understanding to delve into the inner workings of the phone, but the beauty of Android is that you can, with a bit of effort, make it your own. On the other end of the spectrum is Apple where you have Jony Ivy's idea of what a phone should be and nothing else.

It is in Google's best interest to make sure these phones run well because many of us are immersed into their ecosystem which integrate well into their operating design. These phones are so complicated these days that the initial releases are akin to a beta test, however there needs to be communication from the manufacturers/developers that there are issues that they know about and are working on. If you're a recent purchaser of a phone and have no idea if the fix is going to be rolled out, in some cases they'll return the phone within the 14 day period and purchase something else. It's called communication and the manufacturers/developers suck at it.

One thing is for sure, Google will have to get a handle on the run-away train that is Android because the more sprawling and unchecked it gets the more power it'll use and a bigger battery will be needed...which is not progress. The one thing that attracts me to the S6 is the size (which I still think is too big) relative to the others, but if it's having issues I'm going to continue to wait. The G4 is coming out soon but I really don't want a clunker like that but I'll keep an open mind.
    04-16-2015 07:26 AM
    Why do you must assume "out of box" config is always the best?

There is no secret here, just look at windows pc, is out of box config the best? no. You can spend $3000 on a high end gaming pc, it still need your attention once you got it.

The question is not about if out-of-box config need to be fixed, it just is, the question is if you will do it.

Thats true from our point of view. But Google ecosystem is so complex, it would not surprise me if they had calculation somewhere that says they get more benefit from a different kind of "phone-server communication" than asking people to actively use it....
    The market leader is Apple and their phones work perfectly well out of the box. This is the kind of simplicity we need. If you want to customise your device beyond that, that's all well and good and that's the choice Android provides, but it shouldn't need endless tinkering and micro-managing to get decent out of the box performance. Customisation is about enhancing your experience, not eking out battery percentage points because the phone is sub-par.
    maj71303 and nj1266 like this.
    04-16-2015 07:58 AM
    I disagree. What Seperates android and, Imo makes it better, is its customizability. The fact that apps can update in the background. This is great stuff and makes android much more fun and, in many ways, more powerful. But this comes at a cost. And the cost is battery life. That's why I say the gs6 battery life isn't bad, it's just not good. The reason is simple, the battery is too small. For some it's fine. For others it's not. For the people who don't find it acceptable there is the note 4, z3 ( soon to be Z4) and the G3 (soon to be G4). But to think that a setting or software update is the answer, well, it isn't.
    04-16-2015 08:52 AM
    The market leader is Apple and their phones work perfectly well out of the box. This is the kind of simplicity we need. If you want to customise your device beyond that, that's all well and good and that's the choice Android provides, but it shouldn't need endless tinkering and micro-managing to get decent out of the box performance. Customisation is about enhancing your experience, not eking out battery percentage points because the phone is sub-par.
    perfectly stated and my thoughts exactly.

this is an interesting topic, with obviously no right answer, but I agree that out of the box it shouldn't require tinkering for near optimal use. personally, I absolutely love playing around with my phone and customizing it. it's why I choose android.

that said, I shouldn't be rewarded with 3 extra hours SOC vs the guy that uses his S6 as is out of the box. I don't see how that would benefit anyone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-16-2015 09:25 AM
    I disagree. What Seperates android and, Imo makes it better, is its customizability. The fact that apps can update in the background. This is great stuff and makes android much more fun and, in many ways, more powerful. But this comes at a cost. And the cost is battery life. That's why I say the gs6 battery life isn't bad, it's just not good. The reason is simple, the battery is too small. For some it's fine. For others it's not. For the people who don't find it acceptable there is the note 4, z3 ( soon to be Z4) and the G3 (soon to be G4). But to think that a setting or software update is the answer, well, it isn't.
    Well I would disagree because you're assuming customisability means poor battery by default. That's just not true. There are plenty of Android phones with good battery life without having an overly large battery. Android doesn't need a large battery to compensate. It's up to the manufacturers and Google to put in a good operating system as optimally functioning as possible-- this isn't something the user should have to do.

In all fairness, iPhones (besides the recent 6+) have average battery life. They're not stellar performers by any standards. Android gets comparative battery performance with a lot more choice.
    04-16-2015 09:35 AM
    I don't think simply upping the battery size is smart way. Apparently there are many getting good battery life over 5 SoT and it means S6 hardware is capable of decent endurance performance if it's not bogged down by some software glitches. There is definitely some issues with Lollipop right now. There is nothing wrong in trying to address issues by adjusting some simple settings. It's not like micro-managing as it's just one time change at least until next major update comes. If you are getting only 2 SoT, I think there is something wrong with yours, either software or hardware. Even if S6 had 3000mAh, that would barely get it around 2.35 SoT for your case. Something else must be fixed.
    04-16-2015 09:48 AM
    So these are the stats I was getting at the end of last night. Not sure if there has been any improvement yet, but I'm only getting around just over 4 hours of screen time (percentage drops quite quickly when using the phone) so I'm nowhere near hitting the 5-6 hours everyone else is getting. I've disabled MOST notifications from Facebook though some are still somehow getting through, and I've now installed wake lock detector on the phone to see what apps are waking the phone the most while idle.

As someone mentioned previously about trying the tips in various threads, I've actually attempted a lot of the tips mentioned so if there are any in particular that worked the most, I'd love to know what helped!

Why is my battery life so bad?-screenshot_2015-04-16-07-09-35.jpg
    Why is my battery life so bad?-screenshot_2015-04-16-07-09-41.jpg
    Why is my battery life so bad?-screenshot_2015-04-16-07-10-11.jpg
    04-16-2015 09:48 AM
    Apple's phones work out of the box because of two reasons. The first is because Apple controls everything about iOS; nobody else gets to tinker with it. Nobody. With Android Google does their thing, the OEM's do their thing then the carrier does their thing. Andriod will never be like iOS in that regard, though Google's next big challenge is to streamline updates. The second is all iOS, and Windows phone to an extent, is a a never ending screen of app icons. That's it, noting more nothing less. You can argue about services and compare iTunes and Google Play and all that but at it's core iOS is nothing more then screen after screen of app icons. You don't get widgets, you don't get to change icons or colors, you can't customize the lock screen, you get a barebones smartphone experience. For a lot of people that works and that's great; alot of people just want a phone that makes calls, checks Facebook and twitter, and maybe read the news on. iPhone is perfect for that.

Google and Android are complex for a reason, because for as many people love simple as many love to customize and create. Android is for someone who loves to tinker. You don't need constant tinkering either; disabling some Google stuff that you would never use anyway along with some extra features like WiFi scanning that don't enhance your experience isn't some huge burden. The hardware of the S6 is capable of doing 15 - 19 hours with 3-4 hours of SoT, which I'd guess is average for 'normal' use for alot of people who don't use their phones like we do and my phone does it on a daily basis without disabling anything vital Google wise and no tinkering outside of maybe the first day or two. There are people, and not necessarily a small number either, who can't get that and that is where software fixes come in from Google. Use like that can be achieved because it is being achieved by people now.

For someone who wants longer battery life or 6+ hours of SoT or that use apps like Google Maps a lot that case faster drain then there are many other options out there. Bringing the 'simplicity' of iOS into Android isn't the answer and Android has done just fine without it all these years.
    04-16-2015 09:49 AM

It's NOT BS, you have to turn off all of the stuff that makes it an Android phone practically just to get good B life
    04-16-2015 09:56 AM
    100% this
    04-16-2015 09:57 AM
    Micro-manage? Do it once and forget it. Then, just close an app when you're done? I can see how taxing that must be. It's like leaving lights on in rooms you aren't using. Please refrain from personal comments about my tech savviness. It's about taking ownership of something that is yours and you paid good money for it. Do you not change the oil in your vehicle? If you don't, what happens? If you leave your lights on, dead battery and the car doesn't start.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    Jdroids, erasat and deeb215 like this.
    04-16-2015 09:57 AM
    There is a reason why the iPhone comes out of the box the way Apple put it there and that is because IOS is a proprietary OS, Apple owns it and no one can make changes without their approval and they won't approve it. Android is open source and anyone can do what they want with it. That leaves android open to changes from the phone manufacturers and further changes from the carriers. That leads to a lot of chaos and fragmentation.

The reason that Google did it this way is because as open source, manufacturers can put android on their devices at no cost and the more devices that have android, the better for Google since they make money via the advertising and data mining that is done by android on each device that is in someone's hands. There are strong tradeoffs for each model. As the purchasing public we have to decide which works best for us and which tradeoffs we can live with. It also has tradeoffs in terms of the way the OS works and how it affects the device hardware.

I've used both and each has its own advantages and disadvantages. I prefer android but I'm not about to claim that it is a perfect OS. It leaves a lot to be desired in many areas but I find that I prefer it to IOS, at least for now. Everyone has to make up their own mind.

The cell standby issue on the S6 is a serious one. I stand on the side that this is more of an OS problem than a hardware problem. However, it has a strong and negative impact on the battery and most people will blame Samsung for that when it is not their issue. On the other hand, it can be argued that Samsung should have seen this and loaded the S6 up with a larger battery because of it. Samsung seemed determined to have the S6 be slimmer than the iPhone, they felt that this was more important than a longer battery life. For me, its six of one and half dozen of the other.

I am very bothered by the battery life, I don't feel that I should have to work this hard to make this phone more usable between charges, but, for me, I like the things it does and am looking forward to Samsung Pay so I'm willing to make the tradeoff in favor of the S6.
    Alex_NJ likes this.
    04-16-2015 10:05 AM

Man, I'm already frustrated with some users here, we try our best to collect as much info as possible to try to look for a fix as a community and there are people that don't participate, look for their selfish attitude and even criticize those that come here to provide hints or solutions to their problems.

First thing I do when I buy a new device (7 in the past 12 months) is to let it run with my personalized settings and Bloat removed or disabled and that gives me an idea of what that device is capable of in relation to battery, then I may or may not do some more tweaks here or there to try to accomplish what I want. Pretending to buy a device, leave every possible features or options ON all the time, syncing everything possible in all the accounts and then complaints about poor life on a 2550-2600mAh battery device with a QHD display is totally nonsense to me. Yes, it maybe a bug with Wifi that is causing havoc, but the only way to know if you have a device affected by it or not is adjusting and turning things off so you should know for sure what it is.

You should have known better before buying it, and the fact that this phone is giving to a lot of us more than 5 hours and up to 6 hours of SoT is the proof of what this device is capable of, if yours is not giving you that, you may have a rogue app, defective device or your usage and/or personal preferences related to brightness and features and options On will make this and any other device suffer in this department and sorry my friends but if this is your case then there is nobody else's fault but yours, you couldn't pretend to achieve better battery life than the 5-6 SoT of us or whatever you are getting if you are a heavy user and/or your settings and preferences won't allow for similar results, you should have opted for a Phablet or something like the Xperia Z3 with Huge batteries and in the case of the Z3, great optimization in Standby mode for better battery life.

One thing you must accept even when you hate or simply criticize Samsung and the S6, is that if they give us 5-6 SoT in a device with a 2550-2600 mAh battery on a QHD display with one of the thinnest and lightest bezel, they managed to designed a wonderful device with even greater potential once the bugs are all figured it out and fixed.
    04-16-2015 10:10 AM
    I agree with the above. I wonder if they did attempt a bigger battery but it still didn't breast iOS so they went to eat on thinness instead
    04-16-2015 10:12 AM
    So these are the stats I was getting at the end of last night. Not sure if there has been any improvement yet, but I'm only getting around just over 4 hours of screen time (percentage drops quite quickly when using the phone) so I'm nowhere near hitting the 5-6 hours everyone else is getting. I've disabled MOST notifications from Facebook though some are still somehow getting through, and I've now installed wake lock detector on the phone to see what apps are waking the phone the most while idle.

As someone mentioned previously about trying the tips in various threads, I've actually attempted a lot of the tips mentioned so if there are any in particular that worked the most, I'd love to know what helped!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-16-07-09-35.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	171992

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-16-07-09-41.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	171993

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-16-07-10-11.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	171994
    I'm in Australia on Optus network, experiencing same issue, can't seem to get over 3 to 4 hours SoT. Have been testing and trying numerous things.
    04-16-2015 10:20 AM
175 1234 ...