04-22-2015 11:03 PM
175 12345 ...
tools
    Man, I'm already frustrated with some users here, we try our best to collect as much info as possible to try to look for a fix as a community and there are people that don't participate, look for their selfish attitude and even criticize those that come here to provide hints or solutions to their problems.
    First off, I am getting good battery life and good sot. This is hardly my first dance with android so I knew what to expect and first thing I did was to disable unused system apps, reset animations from1 to .5, turn off location etc. I didn't take part in the tips threads because you did an excellent job of going through all the details and showing people how to jump through those hoops.

But, that still doesn't change my mind that hardware manufacturers should provide enough battery power so that the average joe purchaser doesn't have to do all those things. That's just my opinion and we all know about opinions and how everyone has one. It is also my opinion that we should be grateful to people like yourself who inhabit these boards and supply help where needed. But, sometimes some people just refuse to be helped. No point in getting all riled up, just do what you can do and leave it at that. Almost every day there is a new battery thread here (and other threads) that just keep rehashing the same old complaints, over and over and over. Some people can't be bothered to read, complaining seems to be just more fun that finding resolution. I have read all your suggestions to see if there are things I missed. There were some, but there are some things that I use that I don't turn off such as location, I use it, I want it and even with it turned on my battery life is very decent because I have done a lot of other tweaks that offset that one. So, thanks for your help, it is appreciated by many of us that aren't constant posters.
    erasat and Inders99 like this.
    04-16-2015 10:30 AM
    The market leader is Apple and their phones work perfectly well out of the box. This is the kind of simplicity we need. If you want to customise your device beyond that, that's all well and good and that's the choice Android provides, but it shouldn't need endless tinkering and micro-managing to get decent out of the box performance. Customisation is about enhancing your experience, not eking out battery percentage points because the phone is sub-par.
    Your missing the whole point here, that's the Trade-Off, if you want the simplicity of out of the box settings and don't want to work around this, then don't look further, iPhone is your choice, but if you want the multiple options and custom enhancement for your own device, then Android in general, out of the box comes with every little thing and feature turned on.

Do you need all your Account sync everything by default?, do you need Wifi Calling all the time?, do you need Scanning Always Available (For Google services be syncing all the time) and Smart network ( for the device to decide if it uses wifi or your Data)? do you really need VoLTE, and even if you like the idea, what different does it make when you are in market without it, like mine? Do you need the brightness cranked up to 100% and in Auto, Auto adjusting everytime and draining your battery every time you look at your screen?

Comparing iPhone with Android on the above aspects is ridiculous, you can say that you want to compare platform Vs platform and their market competition because both are smartphones, when you talk about out of the box features and customization and the freedom to do basically what you want after that, is like comparing Apples to bottles. They will never be the same, when apple decide to open up their platform (NEVER) then we can compare both of them at the same level.
    04-16-2015 10:30 AM
    I'm in Australia on Optus network, experiencing same issue, can't seem to get over 3 to 4 hours SoT. Have been testing and trying numerous things.
    You have 23% left with 16 hours of use and 4 hours of SOT - this comes out to about 20 hours with 5 hours SOT on a single charge. What are your expectations here? You can dim the screen dramatically and start crippling features of your phone to eke out more battery life, but this phone is not designed to last 2 days on a charge.
    04-16-2015 10:34 AM
    You have 23% left with 16 hours of use and 4 hours of SOT - this comes out to about 20 hours with 5 hours SOT on a single charge. What are your expectations here? You can dim the screen dramatically and start crippling features of your phone to eke out more battery life, but this phone is not designed to last 2 days on a charge.
    They weren't my screens, I'd posted some earlier in thread. I'm not unrealistic in my expectations, just trying to pin point and work out what could be causing un necessary drain. I don't believe in crippling a phone to get battery life, just trying to find the balance that others are experiencing.
    04-16-2015 10:39 AM
    I agree with the above. I wonder if they did attempt a bigger battery but it still didn't breast iOS so they went to eat on thinness instead
    Freudian slip about iOS?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    04-16-2015 10:43 AM
    They weren't my screens, I'd posted some earlier in thread. I'm not unrealistic in my expectations, just trying to pin point and work out what could be causing un necessary drain. I don't believe in crippling a phone to get battery life, just trying to find the balance that others are experiencing.
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize they weren't your screens. The part that no one has mentioned is that signal strength matters a lot, so if your phone is constantly trying to exchange data over poor data connections, there is no way that your battery life will be as good as people in a good strength area, or on strong WiFi all day, even with the same tweaks. Also, I use apps with a heavy background data component like Facebook and Outlook, and there is no way I would get the same battery life as people who do not have these intensive apps running all the time.
    04-16-2015 10:54 AM
    Galaxy S6 battery life bad? This update might help http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy...ate-might-help

Android Central as of now. Hope this really is being seen by other users.

04-16-2015 11:19 AM
    Freudian slip about iOS?

Wow google keyboard really does mess up sometimes.

they couldn't beat iOS*

So went to war on thinness*
    04-16-2015 11:25 AM
    Galaxy S6 battery life bad? This update might help

lol that is a terrible post by Android Central. I've already disabled that app, it doesn't do anything and has had no impact on my battery life.
    04-16-2015 11:37 AM
    I'm going to sum things up for like minded folks like me. Doing tweaks to gain battery life or better efficiency of a smart phone in 2015 is an absolute cop out. I'm a very advance user and I've just had to finally put my foot down and said enough is enough for all of that. The money spent of these devices now demand that I don't settle anymore for the same old song and dance. It is not my job to solve Google and the OEM's problems. Alot of you may want to keep doing that, but tell me when does the compromises stop? When does the excuses and cop outs stop?

My S6E went back yesterday as I won't put up with the compromises and excuses from android and it's OEM's anymore. Tweaking the themes, changing backgrounds, sounds, icons are indeed tweaks. Having to shutoff WiFi, VOLTE, WiFi calling, lower brightness, disable autosync on accounts /email, and doing cache wipes are compromises. Sorry to bust peoples bubbles but the definition of tweaks and compromises to me must be different than a good group of people on this forum. My Smartphone resolution for 2015 is no compromises anymore. I will not compromise on battery life or smartphone functions. I will not disable autosync, smartphone functions like WiFi, VOLTE, and the such for better battery life. I will take the device back and get something that can do the job of a smartphone which is to be smart and capable. I will lastly not compromise myself or this creed just for a few extra new uber features.

This is my Smartphone resolution and prayer for now until I die. I will not compromise anymore.
    04-16-2015 12:36 PM
    04-16-2015 12:45 PM
    Galaxy S6 battery life bad? This update might help http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy...ate-might-help

This really is not needed and is not the ultimate fix for cell standby. At least I don't think it is.

But whatever. My battery lasts me far longer than my old S4 by at least 25% and in some cases 50% improved battery life.

I guess 5 to 6 hours of screen on time for some people is just not enough.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-16-2015 12:55 PM
    This really is not needed and is not the ultimate fix for cell standby. At least I don't think it is.

But whatever. My battery lasts me far longer than my old S4 by at least 25% and in some cases 50% improved battery life.

Who has that much time on their phone? Maybe a different hobby perhaps?

04-16-2015 01:00 PM

Who is getting that much SOT? I think people wouldn't complain if they were squeezing out 5hrs SOT. I can get about 3.5 max.
    04-16-2015 01:01 PM
    I'm going to sum things up for like minded folks like me. Doing tweaks to gain battery life or better efficiency of a smart phone in 2015 is an absolute cop out. I'm a very advance user and I've just had to finally put my foot down and said enough is enough for all of that. The money spent of these devices now demand that I don't settle anymore for the same old song and dance. It is not my job to solve Google and the OEM's problems. Alot of you may want to keep doing that, but tell me when does the compromises stop? When does the excuses and cop outs stop?

My S6E went back yesterday as I won't put up with the compromises and excuses from android and it's OEM's anymore. Tweaking the themes, changing backgrounds, sounds, icons are indeed tweaks. Having to shutoff WiFi, VOLTE, WiFi calling, lower brightness, disable autosync on accounts /email, and doing cache wipes are compromises. Sorry to bust peoples bubbles but the definition of tweaks and compromises to me must be different than a good group of people on this forum. My Smartphone resolution for 2015 is no compromises anymore. I will not compromise on battery life or smartphone functions. I will not disable autosync, smartphone functions like WiFi, VOLTE, and the such for better battery life. I will take the device back and get something that can do the job of a smartphone which is to be smart and capable. I will lastly not compromise myself or this creed just for a few extra new uber features.

This is my Smartphone resolution and prayer for now until I die. I will not compromise anymore.
    That's why for my first 4 days of use I left everything turned on including wifi (set as always scanning), bluetooth, location services, everything syncing including email and social media, VoLTE turned on, so on, and so on.

With an S6 from AT&T, this is the results I'm getting...

That is with over 3 hours of video gaming, more than an hour of YouTube, some web, email, text, and helping users here on AC.

As I posted earlier, if I turn off VoLTE, I can get an added hour of Screen on time.

Beemed to you with the GS6
    deeb215 likes this.
    04-16-2015 01:09 PM
    That's why for my first 4 days of use I left everything turned on including wifi (set as always scanning), bluetooth, location services, everything syncing including email and social media, VoLTE turned on, so on, and so on.

With an S6 from AT&T, this is the results I'm getting...

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04...e6cc1ce9cc.jpg

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04...8e0bdfd192.jpg

That is with over 3 hours of video gaming, more than an hour of YouTube, some web, email, text, and helping users here on AC.

As I posted earlier, if I turn off VoLTE, I can get an added hour of Screen on time.

Beemed to you with the GS6
    Without the compromises I cast doubt on your claim. If the first 3 hours of the graph is any indication of just standby time after a charge it looks like your batter life fell down a steep cliff and then suddenly leveled off. The level off is indicative of being idle with no use / standby. Then it shows you using it as it once again goes down steeply. Your signal is not good at 2 - 3 bars as well. SO it verifies that I indeed made a good decision to return the S6E.

You don't make a good case at all.
    04-16-2015 01:24 PM
    Who is getting that much SOT? I think people wouldn't complain if they were squeezing out 5hrs SOT. I can get about 3.5 max.
    With VoLTE turned off and wifi on but not always scanning and allowing it to sleep when not in use, I'm getting 6 hours of screen on time and 16+ standby with med to heavy use. I've already posted screens to show this earlier.

04-16-2015 01:24 PM
    With VoLTE turned off and wifi on but not always scanning and allowing it to sleep when not in use, I'm getting 6 hours of screen on time and 16+ standby with med to heavy use. I've already posted screens to show this earlier.

Well the AT&T version doesn't even have VoLTE. Turned wifi scanning off right out the box and haven't broken 4 hours.
    04-16-2015 01:31 PM
    Without the compromises I cast doubt on your claim. If the first 3 hours of the graph is any indication of just standby time after a charge it looks like your batter life fell down a steep cliff and then suddenly leveled off. The level off is indicative of being idle with no use / standby. Then it shows you using it as it once again goes down steeply. Your signal is not good at 2 - 3 bars as well. SO it verifies that I indeed made a good decision to return the S6E.
    Clearly you have no idea how to read a graph with additional information given to you as to why it looks the way it does. So for the extremely uninformed among us....

I'm a gamer. I play games on my devices.
    I don't play games that are not cpu/gpu intensive (candy crush). I play games that are far more demanding than anything else you can throw at your phone such as Dungeon Hunter 5, PBA Bowling, and the new game Hearthstone.
    Such games will drain your battery faster than anything you do on your device.

With that said, if my graphs didn't show such dips then clearly you can call me a lier. But since they did, and my screen shots prove I game, your reply is worthless and uninformed.

Thank you for playing, not go back to the little kiddie pool with the rest of the children.

04-16-2015 01:37 PM
    Well the AT&T version doesn't even have VoLTE. Turned wifi scanning off right out the box and haven't broken 4 hours.
    AT&T sure did have VoLTE. It's located in the settings under mobile network, then mobile data.

04-16-2015 01:43 PM
    Clearly you have no idea how to read a graph with additional information given to you as to why it looks the way it does. So for the extremely uninformed among us....

I don't play games that are not cpu/gpu intensive (candy crush). I play games that are far more demanding than anything else you can throw at your phone such as Dungeon Hunter 5, PBA Bowling, and the new game Hearthstone.

With that said, if my graphs didn't show such dips then clearly you can call me a lier. But since they did, and my screen shots prove I game, your reply is worthless and uninformed.

Thank you for playing, not go back to the little kiddie pool with the rest of the children.

Maybe this is more to his liking. This was a steady drain from start to finish. Auto brightness, WiFi scanning is off, VoLTE (Enhanced 4G on AT&T) is on. A lot of Facebook, Fenix (Twitter), Chrome browsing, some voice calls, and a whole lot of texting.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge
    Attached Thumbnails Why is my battery life so bad?-screenshot_2015-04-08-21-31-38.jpg   Why is my battery life so bad?-screenshot_2015-04-08-21-31-44.jpg  
    04-16-2015 01:45 PM

So what phone are you going to chose?
    04-16-2015 01:53 PM

So by the graph from 0030 - 0230 you are up playing all these games, youtube, and other crap you say after you took it off a full charge. The from 0230 - 0700 ish it is idle doing nothing. then from 0700 - 1000 roughly you are at it again with all your activities.

Meaning I couldn't give less a flipping bird about your experience with your S6. The only experience that matters is mine as I brought it. If I don't like it nothing you say will change that opinion. If you feel the need to be such a defender of your purchase please do it quietly in the corner of the fanboy pool. Most people with complaints are issues that relate to them. A lot of what you say they should do doesn't work for the particular person. This is the problem with a lot of posters like you don't get not everyone wants to cripple / compromise with there smartphone and you will hear it alot more often now.
    04-16-2015 01:55 PM
    So what phone are you going to chose?
    He's got limited options. Good luck with that.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge
    04-16-2015 01:55 PM

We have two clear camps here. One camp thinks poor battery is due to the user not switching off sufficient number of functions (lol) and "not taking ownership" - whatever that means,
    And the other expects a reasonable 2015 device that can actually last a day under normal use with advertised/enhancing features switched on
    04-16-2015 01:56 PM
175 12345 ...