Why is my battery life so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
And I don't see these carrier specific issues or google specific issues being replicated outside of the US. So is it just the US variants seeing this? There's more to the world than America.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
And I don't see these carrier specific issues or google specific issues being replicated outside of the US. So is it just the US variants seeing this? There's more to the world than America.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

There are issues outside of the US, but they are so small that they don't effect the screen on time or battery life in general any more then any other phone on lollypop.

Sadly, one carrier in the US has an issue on top of the minor ones with lollypop. This compounded issue creates huge battery drains that no other S6 has. As such the myth that the S6 has bad battery life is false and is carrier specific to one US carrier IMHO.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There are issues outside of the US, but they are so small that they don't effect the screen on time or battery life in general any more then any other phone on lollypop.

Sadly, one carrier in the US has an issue on top of the minor ones with lollypop. This compounded issue creates huge battery drains that no other S6 has. As such the myth that the S6 has bad battery life is false and is carrier specific to one US carrier IMHO.

Actually all carriers in the US have cell standby issues. Maybe not every user but all variants have seen this issue.. So it isn't just one carrier version. :).

Last edited:

microserfs

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site

That's not entirely true. I'm from the UK and having issues with screen on time. If it's a lollipop bug then I can accept that but I haven't owned another android phone for years so I didn't know lollipop was part of the problem.

After charging fully and then leaving my phone unplugged from 5am to 8.30am the battery dropped 6%. Little bit worrying but battery status says device idle 1% and cell standby 1% for the last three and a half hours. On Gsam the highest percentage of app usage was the kernel so not sure whether that's normal. I did leave wifi on for the whole time so don't know if that's where the issue lies.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Actually all carriers in the US have cell standby issues. Maybe not every user but all variants have seen this issue.. So it isn't just one carrier version. :).

Actually I've said that almost all phones on lollypop have issues and that all the US phones do too. What you are in denial is that all of the world's GS6 has the same Google issues except that T-Mobile has an additional issue.

And this additional issue is not replicated on the rest of the world's GS6 and thus regardless of what said issue is called, be it wifi calling yesterday or wifi band issue today, or something else tomorrow...... There is still enough of an issue that it crushes battery life only on T-Mobile unless you change something or reduce an option.

This last issue once again is ONLY on T-Mobile and cell standby being in a battery monitor built by Samsung has nothing to do with T-Mobile issues other than it is astronomically higher then every other S6 phone WORLD WIDE.

YOU CAN KEEP ON FIGHTING THIS, but with such few complaints from the rest of the world including AT&T and Verizon and in most cases Sprint, lets also not forget the rest of the world.... Yeah, it's a T-Mobile issue.

Let's face it. Just listen to how Andrew describes the S6 battery life on the podcast. I'll quote as best as I can....
"The S6 battery life is only good if you leave it on your desk and do nothing with it. "

Yeah that describes the vast majority of T-Mobile phones like he tested. Maybe.
But it doesn't describe the rest of the world's S6. Definitely not any member who is on AT&T and Verizon right now. Definitely not my phone right out of the box. Not when I'm getting 5 to 6 hours of SoT and 14 to 18 hours of standby or total use while gaming for 3+ hours, a good hour of steaming videos, a good hour of web and some emails, texts, and light miscellaneous stuff....All while everything is turned on, even more then the default out of the box.

If I didn't game on my phone I would clearly break the 7 hour mark if I use some tweaks and or turn off some things. This notion that the S6 has bad battery life is fiction and nothing Andrew or anyone else at AC could say to change my mind when no other S6 out of the box is as bad or even close to as bad as what the T-Mobile phones are having problems with.

I'm sorry but if your argument is what the issue is called, I personally don't care. But if you are saying that all S6 phones have the same battery drain or the same issues besides just the normals lollypop ones then I just can't seem to agree when ALL the proof says otherwise.

Show me, yes show me the millions apon millions of complaints world wide of 2 to 3 hours of SoT and 8 hours of standby out of the box like on T-Mobile. Show it to me please. Show me the hundreds of Verizon users on this forum or the hundreds of AT&T users who are complaining about battery life like T-Mobile users. Show us anything please that has nothing to do with cell standby or normal lollypop issues but instead now talk battery life. Sadly you can't because none is complaining about battery life around the world besides on T-Mobile.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
That's not entirely true. I'm from the UK and having issues with screen on time. If it's a lollipop bug then I can accept that but I haven't owned another android phone for years so I didn't know lollipop was part of the problem.

After charging fully and then leaving my phone unplugged from 5am to 8.30am the battery dropped 6%. Little bit worrying but battery status says device idle 1% and cell standby 1% for the last three and a half hours. On Gsam the highest percentage of app usage was the kernel so not sure whether that's normal. I did leave wifi on for the whole time so don't know if that's where the issue lies.

Give your device 2 or 3 more charge cycles and you'll get a good extra hour of screen on time and your standby will increase by about 5 hours with your type of use. With the limited info you gave you sound like your phone is acting normal for a new device and I see nothing bad or different then every other S6. You are clearly not having the issues that would cause you to have a dead phone in less then 10 hours.

Yes there are bugs in lollypop. The worst ones reduce your battery life about one hour of SoT and 2 to 4 hours of standby.
What it won't do is cripple your phone into having 2 to 3 hours of SoT and only 8 or 9 hours of standby. Don't let any discussion related to lollypop scare you. The drain on battery life is not that bad and can be temporarily fixed with some simple tweaks to minimise the drain. Of course this should be fixed with an update but it hasn't been the biggest of problems for the past 5 months or so and I personally wouldn't worrie about it that much. Just enjoy your phone.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm struggling with battery life. Not getting close to 5 hours. Most I've gotten is 3.5-4hrs. Been trying to tweak stuff but really don't get much over 4hrs screen time.

I'm working on it though, trying different things. That Samsung Push update didn't seem to improve much for me. As it stands, I'm not sure I'd be holding on to this phone for too long. It's a nice phone, but I just can't get that 5-6hour screen time that others get. And to me a phone is pointless of it's dead.

Sent from my SM-G920I

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm struggling with battery life. Not getting close to 5 hours. Most I've gotten is 3.5-4hrs. Been trying to tweak stuff but really don't get much over 4hrs screen time.

I'm working on it though, trying different things. That Samsung Push update didn't seem to improve much for me. As it stands, I'm not sure I'd be holding on to this phone for too long. It's a nice phone, but I just can't get that 5-6hour screen time that others get. And to me a phone is pointless of it's dead.

Sent from my SM-G920I

I can't disagree with you at all. If it just isn't working right where you live, then it's just no use keeping it. Without screen shots and a list of tweaks you tried I can't help. But you are quite knowledgeable and I'm sure you tried practically everything posted on this forum by me and others. It could be anything including the antenna firmware or the hardware in your country. Our it could be just a lemon. Again, hard to tell without screen shots and some additional information.

No matter what you do, I always wish you well. Good luck with what ever your next phone adventure might be.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my SM-G920I

a quick question, what is the percentage of battery used by your screen?

microserfs

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Give your device 2 or 3 more charge cycles and you'll get a good extra hour of screen on time and your standby will increase by about 5 hours with your type of use. With the limited info you gave you sound like your phone is acting normal for a new device and I see nothing bad or different then every other S6. You are clearly not having the issues that would cause you to have a dead phone in less then 10 hours.

Yes there are bugs in lollypop. The worst ones reduce your battery life about one hour of SoT and 2 to 4 hours of standby.
What it won't do is cripple your phone into having 2 to 3 hours of SoT and only 8 or 9 hours of standby. Don't let any discussion related to lollypop scare you. The drain on battery life is not that bad and can be temporarily fixed with some simple tweaks to minimise the drain. Of course this should be fixed with an update but it hasn't been the biggest of problems for the past 5 months or so and I personally wouldn't worrie about it that much. Just enjoy your phone.

How many charge cycles would I need to have given it? I'm on like the 9th or 10th charge or more and figured it would have settled by now. At the moment I'm on 82% with only 50 mins of screen on time. The most screen time i can get is around 3-4 hrs max :/

counterhit121

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Verizon GS6 here getting horrendous battery life, without standby issue. Averaging about 7 hours per cycle. Just lost 7% this morning from light browsing on fb and reddit. Love the phone but I don't know if I can keep up with this battery travesty.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I've literally blamed zero people for any of those things. The problem is very real, I've said that a million times, and it needs to be addressed. Pretending that this same thing isn't happening to other phones or that this is indicative of the way battery life is as a whole on the S6 is what I have a problem with.

It is happening on other phones because it's a Lollipop issue. The battery life people are getting as a result of this issue is not indicative of what battery life can be and is on the S6 without that issue. If people want to cry about their battery life and try to dispute those two facts? Yes, I'll happily correct them.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge
I agree, lollipop is problematic for not just battery bit also memory leak issues. But Sammy should have went with a 3k battery to offset this, especially in light of how popular battery life is nowadays. It wouldn't have taken much effort to tweak the chassis design to accommodate that and we likely wouldn't be having so many discussions about it. I'm willing to bet the Note 5 will probably have a monster battery as usual and everyone will be pretty satisfied.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree, lollipop is problematic for not just battery bit also memory leak issues. But Sammy should have went with a 3k battery to offset this, especially in light of how popular battery life is nowadays. It wouldn't have taken much effort to tweak the chassis design to accommodate that.

I disagree as far as how it would affect the design, but agree on how a larger battery, even 2800 mah, would have made a difference. It's efficient enough to outpace the S5 and M9, though, and I can live with that.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my SM-G920I

Hey man, I'm really sorry to hear you say that your S6 is struggling with battery life, I really sympathize with you since you and me seem to be very alike in our phone choices and we are almost going through the same phones at the same time for the past year, also most of the time I agree with most of your point of views and points.

So, trying to see if we can be of some help for you, can you post screenshots of your battery stats and some GSAM shots also if you have it installed? I know you should have already made some tweaks here and there but can you tell us which ones you have done?

Cell Standby has been the biggest offender so far but I have seen some people with the Infamous Lollipop's Google Play Services Drain bug, and those ones are very common through all devices and with latest update that may be available any moment now for everybody, it seems that for some people the drain finally stopped.

If you have the Cell standby Bug, try to see if what me and others have been suggesting can help you, but I'd insist on going to recovery mode and Clear Cache partition and try again, if doesn't fix it, consider a good Full Backup (Smart Switch for PC and Mac is available and can backup and restore a good amount of your actual settings) and then do a Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe data/Full reset on Recovery mode, I'm sure it can help you if nothing else can.

Again, you and me have agreed most of the time on our daily driver, and I can tell you that this one is a keeper, latest and greatest specs, one of the most beautiful designs out there, still tons of useful features and when battery is not draining because a bug, very good and borderline with great battery life, yesterday gave me 6 hours and 4 minutes of SoT averaging almost 6 hours since I got it on the 10th.

Let us know, good luck.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Instant gratification and the supposed freedom that comes with a lack of personal responsibility and the entitlement to be free of consequences as well as intolerance to opposing viewpoints despite he facts has led to wanting a device slick and quick not caring how it gets there. They want to take it out of the box and turn it on not realizing there may be carrier issues or setting that need to modified slightly to tune the device. It is easier to whine or resort to character assassination responding with rants making it clear that they don't have facts or they try to shut you down.
In fairness, some of the posters here are not endlessly complaining, and have expressed an opinion that the DIY adjustments being suggested to them shouldn't be necessary in the first place. I agree. It's a valid point. I wouldn't accept having to DIY on an HDTV or a car infotainment system or numerous other products and I don't buy the "comparing apples to oranges" argument people use as a rebuttal to that either.
But those who are voicing that concern, a legitimate one, are also being relentlessly attacked just like people who are just complaining for the sake of complaining. I've seen it here all week. Can you blame them for being annoyed?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually I've said that almost all phones on lollypop have issues and that all the US phones do too. What you are in denial is that all of the world's GS6 has the same Google issues except that T-Mobile has an additional issue.

I'm not in denial. I use the phone on the T-Mobile network and don't have the additional issue you claim. It isn't me assuming.. It's me actually using it and from my own experience. :).

katiheefner

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Ok how does this look. The thread I was using got put on hold :\

Attachments

• 1429478035360.jpg
    1429478035360.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 1429478046027.jpg
    1429478046027.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 1429478056257.jpg
    1429478056257.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 34

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
In fairness, some of the posters here are not endlessly complaining, and have expressed an opinion that the DIY adjustments being suggested to them shouldn't be necessary in the first place. I agree. It's a valid point. I wouldn't accept having to DIY on an HDTV or a car infotainment system or numerous other products and I don't buy the "comparing apples to oranges" argument people use as a rebuttal to that either.
But those who are voicing that concern, a legitimate one, are also being relentlessly attacked just like people who are just complaining for the sake of complaining. I've seen it here all week. Can you blame them for being annoyed?

Yes, I can. There are reasonable issues and viewpoints backed by facts and there is just ranting. Facts don't matter if they contradict the ranting party line.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You appear to have missed what I said because I clearly addressed that.

You need to clarify as you mention complaining for the sake of complying which I am not. I am also not relentlessly attacking anyone.

When you site credible sources, provides screen shots of battery life birth from reviews and personal devices, those facts don't seem to matter. They don't seem to realize other factors affect their battery life other than personal usage habits and expectations. They would rather blame someone else and take responsibility for their purchase decision and device management instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.