Why is my battery life so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. Apple makes a great device but has plenty of bugs no one acknowledges. Antenna gate ring a bell. Blaming the customer before taking ownership and fixing it. Didn't hear Google blaming customers.
What is this even about? Just irrelevant drivel about unrelated issues. This isn't about apple vs android. This is about experiencing terrible battery life on the s6 in comparison to my wife's phone which happens to be an iPhone 6. If her phone was another android device and also outlasted my s6, I would have said the same thing.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
This isn't about preference. This is about performance. Im merely comparing the two since then iPhone is what im used to. Not my fault there's so many faults with lollipop, android app developers and whatever carrier issues everyone is trying to place their blame on.

All you're doing is complaining. Plenty of people have offered advice on what to do, but you continue to ignore it and just say your iPhone is better. Then you expect that's going to be agreed on---in a GS6 forum on an Android site. My experience differs greatly from your own. No iPhone I've ever had, and I've had pretty much everyone of them, could hang with this battery life.

I could spend some time bashing the iPhone and bugs it has/has had, but I don't care enough about that device to do so. Either return the phone, exchange it for another S6, or factory reset it. Not that difficult.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

Attachments

• 225.jpg
    225.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 224.jpg
    224.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 59

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
What is this even about? Just irrelevant drivel about unrelated issues. This isn't about apple vs android. This is about experiencing terrible battery life on the s6 in comparison to my wife's phone which happens to be an iPhone 6. If her phone was another android device and also outlasted my s6, I would have said the same thing.

First of all, not every GS6 owner is having battery issues. Your issues may be a combination of carrier issues and Lolllipop bug. By every objective measure aka facts, GS6 battery life is better than the IPhone. How many times has Apple,rushed out bug fixes. Google will fix their issues. Stop complaining and return your GS6 as you are clearly unhappy with it so as to save us from your disingenuous comments not backed up by facts. If you had facts, you would already cited them.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
First of all, not every GS6 owner is having battery issues. Your issues may be a combination of carrier issues and Lolllipop bug. By every objective measure aka facts, GS6 battery life is better than the IPhone. How many times has Apple,rushed out bug fixes. Google will fix their issues. Stop complaining and return your GS6 as you are clearly unhappy with it so as to save us from your disingenuous comments not backed up by facts. If you had facts, you would already cited them.
Lol disingenuous?! Someone just posted their iPhone 5s had better battery life than their s6! Guess you better go call them out and tell them they're a liar too!

I have no idea what carrier issues there may be but I'm currently on Orange in Europe. I've yet to hear anyone report there's a carrier issue/bug with them and the s6. Maybe there is. I haven't really looked into it.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Why are you guys jumping all over stevelam? He raises some legitimate issues. Does the S6 have the *potential* to have pretty impressive battery life, definitely from what I've seen of Adranalyne's postings. I would kill for 5 hrs 41 minutes of SoT and 15 hours off charger with some life still left in the phone. Those are just great numbers and way more than my expectation ever was for a 2,600mAh phone.

But my real world experience, and that of many others, falls FAR short of that and I'm pretty sure my phone has the exact same battery saving settings as Adranalyne. So, then it begs the legitimate question for conversation of why do some people get exceptional battery life and others just don't?

Here's what my battery life looked like yesterday when I got home...

Screenshot_2015-04-21-17-08-44.jpg
Screenshot_2015-04-21-17-08-49.jpg

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Why are you guys jumping all over stevelam? He raises some legitimate issues. Does the S6 have the *potential* to have pretty impressive battery life, definitely from what I've seen of Adranalyne's postings. I would kill for 5 hrs 41 minutes of SoT and 15 hours off charger with some life still left in the phone. Those are just great numbers and way more than my expectation ever was for a 2,600mAh phone.

But my real world experience, and that of many others, falls FAR short of that and I'm pretty sure my phone has the exact same battery saving settings as Adranalyne. So, then it begs the legitimate question for conversation of why do some people get exceptional battery life and others just don't.

Here's what my battery life looked like yesterday...

View attachment 173180
View attachment 173181

That cell standby number is huge and nonexistent on my device. That's got a lot to do with this. It may have -everything- to do with this. There's an obvious issue with -some- devices, not all, and it stems from issues that are rooted in Lollipop right now. The S6 is not the only device affected by this.

I don't know how many times myself and others need to say it; you either have patience that Google is going to fix this, and history shows that they do, or you don't and you return it. This isn't that complicated. Complaining about this literally solves nothing. Comparing it to the iPhone achieves nothing. You've seen, either from me or others, what the battery life can be like when this device is unaffected by these issues. You can wait it out, reset again (and I'd recommend a full reset; no restores), or give up and return it. The complaining and whining has got to stop.

And when all things are equal, and right now iOS 8 has been out longer than Lollipop and the iPhone 6 and 5S has been out longer than the S6, this phone destroys both of them in battery life.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
The complaining and whining has got to stop.

I'm not sure who you are referring to but most of us are on the Forums to have conversations and seek solutions - they are not complaints and whining. Most people here are seeking answers to legitimate issues. That's why they are here and what this Forum is for, or at least most of us thought.

I suppose if you only want to hear the good things about the S6, and there are plenty, then maybe just click on those threads that talk about the amazing screen, the cool edge, the great fingerprint reader, the awesome fast charging. Those awesome things should make you happy.

But stop calling people having a legitimate conversation about questionable battery life (no matter the fault of Lollipop, Cell Standby, Android System, Google Play Services, rogue apps, etc.) whiners and jumping down anybody that is frustrated with certain features of their phone. It's getting old and I'm truly surprised the Moderators allow you to keep doing this.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure who you are referring to but most of us are on the Forums to have conversations and seek solutions - they are not complaints and whining. Most people here are seeking answers to legitimate issues. That's why they are here and what this Forum is for, or at least most of us thought.

I suppose if you only want to hear the good things about the S6, and there are plenty, then maybe just click on those threads that talk about the amazing screen, the cool edge, the great fingerprint reader, the awesome fast charging. Those awesome things should make you happy.

But stop calling people having a legitimate conversation about questionable battery life (no matter the fault of Lollipop, Cell Standby, Android System, Google Play Services, rogue apps, etc.) whiners and jumping down anybody that is frustrated with certain features of their phone. It's getting old and I'm truly surprised the Moderators allow you to keep doing this.

I'm sure they don't have an issue with this because I've exhausted every resource to try to help. Erasat definitely has. We've made it clear what the issues are and I think most people understand it. You can't fix it, neither can we, but people like stevelam constantly complaining about everything even before he had the phone is getting old.

It's not like there isn't an issue that Google needs to address. It's not like I, or others, haven't tried to help in any way we can. Constantly complaining when the choices are right in front of your face is beyond annoying. Either you're willing to exchange, willing to be patient, or you need to return it. I don't know how many times myself or others need to say that, but that's literally all there is to it.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure they don't have an issue with this because I've exhausted every resource to try to help. Erasat definitely has. We've made it clear what the issues are and I think most people understand it. You can't fix it, neither can we, but people like stevelam constantly complaining about everything even before he had the phone is getting old.

It's not like there isn't an issue that Google needs to address. It's not like I, or others, haven't tried to help in any way we can. Constantly complaining when the choices are right in front of your face is beyond annoying. Either you're willing to exchange, willing to be patient, or you need to return it. I don't know how many times myself or others need to say that, but that's literally all there is to it.

I'm not following you. What choices do we need to make?

I have my phone set the SAME way that you and erasat do - WiFi calling off, VoLTE off, nearly all Google services (other than email) off, Location Services off, NFC off, WiFi scanning off, WiFi smart scan off, brightness at 30%, all pre-loaded unused apps off, etc. This thing is 80% shut down. I've done 2 Factory Resets (clean, no restore from a prior save) and many, many cache wipe-outs.

My issues first were Cell Standby, then Google Play Services, then Android System and now back to Cell Standby. Just when I think an issue is gone, another one pops up.

There is nothing more I can do other than throw the towel in, which I'm not willing to do yet. This phone is PERFECT other than the legitimate battery life issues. I haven't experienced battery management issues like this since my early days of Android. In the past month (nearly) of my ownership, I've seen Samsung push an update out and then Google Play Services so I'm hoping that there will be a fix for the issues so many people are experiencing. And, I agree that the core of this is Lollipop and it's affecting many Android devices but that doesn't help me or all the others with frustrating battery life.

But, I know this will frustrate you, I'm not willing to sit back and wait quietly for a fix. It's been a month. I spent over $1,000.00 on this phone and have a lot of time and money invested in it (I bought it outright) and I have expectations it will work properly. It doesn't even have to work as well as yours - I'd be thrilled with 4 hours SoT...but I'm half of that right now and am at the mercy of some update that we all hope Google makes to the phone at some undetermined point.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm not following you. What choices do we need to make?

I have my phone set the SAME way that you and erasat do - WiFi calling off, VoLTE off, nearly all Google services (other than email) off, Location Services off, NFC off, WiFi scanning off, WiFi smart scan off, brightness at 30%, all pre-loaded unused apps off, etc. This thing is 80% shut down. I've done 2 Factory Resets (clean, no restore from a prior save) and many, many cache wipe-outs.

My issues first were Cell Standby, then Google Play Services, then Android System and now back to Cell Standby. Just when I think an issue is gone, another one pops up.

There is nothing more I can do other than throw the towel in, which I'm not willing to do yet. This phone is PERFECT other than the legitimate battery life issues. I haven't experienced battery management issues like this since my early days of Android. In the past month (nearly) of my ownership, I've seen Samsung push an update out and then Google Play Services so I'm hoping that there will be a fix for the issues so many people are experiencing. And, I agree that the core of this is Lollipop and it's affecting many Android devices but that doesn't help me or all the others with frustrating battery life.

But, I know this will frustrate you, I'm not willing to sit back and wait quietly for a fix. It's been a month. I spent over $1,000.00 on this phone and have a lot of time and money invested in it (I bought it outright) and I have expectations it will work properly. It doesn't even have to work as well as yours - I'd be thrilled with 4 hours SoT...but I'm half of that right now and am at the mercy of some update that we all hope Google makes to the phone at some undetermined point.

So you're just going to complain about it knowing that you or I can't fix it? I don't understand the reasoning. You have the option to exchange this phone as a defect. In your position, almost a month in, that's what I'd do. I'd set the new phone up as brand new; no restoring from a previous backup. That's the thing, though. You're not doing that. You're just coming here and complaining. It's not that I don't understand how frustrating that would be, but you haven't exhausted all options here.

The other thing here is that you may have to adjust your habits until this gets fixed. Only in the rare cases does someone not have 20-30 minutes during the day to charge their phone. You can get 50% back in 30 minutes. That's a huge help in this case.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
So you're just going to complain about it knowing that you or I can't fix it? I don't understand the reasoning. You have the option to exchange this phone as a defect. In your position, almost a month in, that's what I'd do. I'd set the new phone up as brand new; no restoring from a previous backup. That's the thing, though. You're not doing that. You're just coming here and complaining. It's not that I don't understand how frustrating that would be, but you haven't exhausted all options here.

The other thing here is that you may have to adjust your habits until this gets fixed. Only in the rare cases does someone not have 20-30 minutes during the day to charge their phone. You can get 50% back in 30 minutes. That's a huge help in this case.

If I thought swapping it out my S6 would make a difference, I'd do that in a second. But I've seen so many posts of people going through multiple phones only to have the same drain issues reappear on their second or third phone and finally conclude it's a software issue.

I'm pretty confident this is not a hardware problem. I think the phone is really solid. I have been on the phone with T-Mobile support and they said they are aware of the issue and working on a fix with Google. That's the most they would give me.

Don't disagree on the charging top-off and whenever I can, I definitely do that. The fast charging is amazing. But some days it's just not possible.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
If I thought swapping it out my S6 would make a difference, I'd do that in a second. But I've seen so many posts of people going through multiple phones only to have the same drain issues reappear on their second or third phone and finally conclude it's a software issue.

I'm pretty confident this is not a hardware problem. I think the phone is really solid. I have been on the phone with T-Mobile support and they said they are aware of the issue and working on a fix with Google. That's the most they would give me.

Don't disagree on the charging top-off and whenever I can, I definitely do that. The fast charging is amazing. But some days it's just not possible.

What if you exchange your device and get one like mine? It's not like it's impossible. Well worth the effort given the money you've spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet