05-05-2016 10:19 PM
106 123 ...
tools
    Confirmed in chat with Samsung CS and via trial. The S6 does not support HDMI output via MHL standard on its USB port or any other direct video output. Really a step backward for a flagship device. Major missing feature they should have been far more forthcoming about before selling them.

So, no more apps mode integration on my Kenwood car stereo, no more playing vids on the hotel room tv etc. With such great video performance on the device, this is very disappointing.
    04-15-2015 11:23 AM
    I agree. They want you to use the Allshare Cast Hub.
    04-15-2015 11:29 AM
    I don't want to carry yet one more device when I travel and that will not work for apps integration in the car as there is no 2 way data connectivity.
    04-15-2015 11:36 AM
    Chromecast. Easy as pie

Galaxy S6
    20blks, chezm, Rukbat and 1 others like this.
    04-15-2015 11:54 AM
    Chromecast. Easy as pie

Galaxy S6
    Give this a try.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    04-15-2015 11:57 AM
    I do wish they hadn't removed this feature.... but I'd much rather carry the little Chromecast dongle that an adapter and an HDMI cable(s) etc.
    04-15-2015 04:10 PM
    Chromecast. Easy as pie

Galaxy S6
    Can you screen cast from the GS6?
    04-15-2015 07:14 PM
    Can you screen cast from the GS6?
    Hitting the screen mirroring from the quick toggles says no device found for me

Galaxy S6
    04-15-2015 07:30 PM

Galaxy S6
    Try the Chromecast app. If it doesn't work there either, then the answer is no.
    04-15-2015 07:32 PM
    The chromecast works. I was just answering you question about screen cast

Galaxy S6
    04-15-2015 07:34 PM
    I don't think people know how convenient and simple chromecast is
    04-15-2015 08:16 PM
    Chrome cast doesn't work with Amazon Prime movies, though.
    teevirus likes this.
    04-15-2015 08:19 PM
    Samsung Note Edge
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play edition
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10

Right now these are the only compatable devices for cast screen on chromecast but you can still cast screen which I did on my tab 3 but was slightly jumpy

Full list here https://support.google.com/chromecas.../6059461?hl=en
    evoldroid likes this.
    04-15-2015 08:37 PM
    That's funny, I've casted my S6 using the Chromecast app many times this past week.

Posted using my Galaxy S6 via the Android Central App
    20blks likes this.
    04-15-2015 08:45 PM
    The chromecast works. I was just answering you question about screen cast

Galaxy S6
    No, the Chromecast doesn't "work." Not as an HDMI/MHL replacement, which is the complaint here. You'd need a separate Miracast dongle instead. Assuming THAT works, and doesn't require some proprietary Samsung receiver.
    04-15-2015 08:53 PM
    No, the Chromecast doesn't "work." Not as an HDMI/MHL replacement, which is the complaint here. You'd need a separate Miracast dongle instead. Assuming THAT works, and doesn't require some proprietary Samsung receiver.
    Guess it 'works' for me. Either by using the chromecast button in apps like YouTube or Netflix, etc or going into the chromecast app and pressing cast screen. Couldn't be easier imo

Galaxy S6
    20blks likes this.
    04-15-2015 09:28 PM

Galaxy S6
    'screen mirroring' in the quick settings is what I said doesn't work. Sorry for 'trolling'. Learn to read. I originally suggested Chromecast because I know it works

Galaxy S6
    04-15-2015 09:39 PM
    Lack of MHL is disapointing. Does your Kenwood head unit support MirrorLink? Supposedly the s6 is compatible with MirrorLink which my Sony head unit has in addition to the MHL. MirrorLink uses USB to communicate by the way, not HDMI like MHL so it actually allows you to control your phone from the head unit which you can't usually do with MHL.
    04-15-2015 11:17 PM
    Guess it 'works' for me. Either by using the chromecast button in apps like YouTube or Netflix, etc or going into the chromecast app and pressing cast screen. Couldn't be easier imo

Galaxy S6
    The problem with Chromecast is that it requires a wi-fi network that you can connect to--this can be a problem if you're in some place like a hotel, where you don't necessarily want to shell out $15/day for their wi-fi. The nice thing about MHL support is that you could just connect the phone directly to a TV, without needing a wi-fi network.

I'm not sure if Samsung's Allshare Cast Hub requires a wi-fi network, or if you can connect the phone directly with the hub via wi-fi.
    nicell likes this.
    04-16-2015 12:51 AM
    Lack of MHL is disapointing. Does your Kenwood head unit support MirrorLink? Supposedly the s6 is compatible with MirrorLink which my Sony head unit has in addition to the MHL. MirrorLink uses USB to communicate by the way, not HDMI like MHL so it actually allows you to control your phone from the head unit which you can't usually do with MHL.
    No, the Kenwood uses MHL plus bluetooth to achieve a full two way integration. Placing android on the screen with full touch screen capability Chromecast is of no use and neither is miracast for this.
    Rui Fragoso likes this.
    04-16-2015 10:40 AM
    Chrome cast doesn't work with Amazon Prime movies, though.
    Chromecast does not work with a lot of things. Including hotel wifi. Its pretty much useless when traveling which is why I always carried the mhl cable. It just worked.

I have a miracast hub from HTC. Bought it, tried it stuck it in a drawer as useless. The drops and stutters caused by its need for local wifi which is NEVER fast enough for full bandwidth 1080p video in the real world made it a useless toy. I am not buying the Samsung one as its still tied to wifi.
    04-16-2015 10:47 AM
    This is a nightmare.

My mate always had his S5 connected up to his Sony TV via a £5 cable. Now we can't do this?

Similarly is my car stereo now redundant? I assume a USB will no longer work with this phone and you'll lose the ability to control apps/music via the headunit. I'll be stuck with AUX that means you can't charge without having the *** lighter in use and have to select tracks from the phone itself.

How can a flagship phone not have features like this, especially when the predecessors did?
    04-17-2015 11:30 AM
    I can't connect my s6 to my Clarion car stereo through anything other than Bluetooth. My stereo supports mhl and mirrorlink but this phone does not.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-17-2015 12:27 PM
    Wow.

Just tried enabling 'screen mirroring' on my S6 and bang, up pops the 'do you wish to connect' message on my Sony Bravia. Full screen mirroring rather than just throwing out pics and videos.

I swear I tried this the other day and got nowhere.
    04-17-2015 12:43 PM
    Not sure if you meant using native apps like Youtube...Hulu...Netflix...ect.... I meant casting your phone screen directly to the TV which is different than streaming an app.
    04-17-2015 03:22 PM
106 123 ...