Trying this as a last resort before going back to Costco to return it and get Lg g3

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks. I was getting so many glitches.....bad battery life, constantly searching for wifi at home, lag and rebooting of homescreens, so I reset the dang device.
And also, instead of loading all my apps from the cloud, I set it up as a new device.
While the battery life is still not the best, the phone is working better...but I might still exchange it if the battery life is so subpar.

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the issues, but that is what the return period is for. ;)

If battery life is a primary concern, I am just not sure you can beat the Note 4. I picked one up last week and it has been a shocking difference since my S3. I kept my S3 pretty trim, restricting the widgets that access the net to just a single weather widget and minimizing the number of apps installed that do work in the background. I also only enabled wifi, bluetooth, and location services when each was needed. Still, at the end of an average day of use I would get home from work and have about 30-40% of battery left.

In contrast, my new Note 4 has 70-75% battery left when I get home each day. Seriously. Sure, the battery is newer, but not that much newer. I replaced my S3's battery annually. I am also using the Note 4 a lot more during the day since it is new.

Of course, it's big. That's good news and bad news. The larger screen is amazing, but it comes with a larger device.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the issues, but that is what the return period is for. ;)

If battery life is a primary concern, I am just not sure you can beat the Note 4. I picked one up last week and it has been a shocking difference since my S3. I kept my S3 pretty trim, restricting the widgets that access the net to just a single weather widget and minimizing the number of apps installed that do work in the background. I also only enabled wifi, bluetooth, and location services when each was needed. Still, at the end of an average day of use I would get home from work and have about 30-40% of battery left.

In contrast, my new Note 4 has 70-75% battery left when I get home each day. Seriously. Sure, the battery is newer, but not that much newer. I replaced my S3's battery annually. I am also using the Note 4 a lot more during the day since it is new.

Of course, it's big. That's good news and bad news. The larger screen is amazing, but it comes with a larger device.

Haha I had the Note 4 and sold it! I loved that phone but it was so big, and heavy too! I sold it on Ebay and got a great price. I have an Iphone 6 so I wanted something in that league size wise. Well it might be that and yes it's snappy and impressive in some ways but majorly disappointing in what matters....

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
You can't beat the battery life on the Note 4.

Are you really have all these problems with the S6? I 'm still waiting for my S6 to arrive. :-\

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm more than happy with my S6. The battery life isn't great, but not horrid either. Beyond that, mine is snappy and smooth throughout, and so far any issues have been minor and I'm finding tweaks for them. What I'm saying is it might be worth exchanging for another S6 to see if it is a problem with the specific phone you have. My guess is that's exactly what it is.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't already, try removing any weather widget and turn off location services and see how the battery goes.

The LG G3 is a a big step backward from the S6, although if the battery is killing you, anything is better.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm more than happy with my S6. The battery life isn't great, but not horrid either. Beyond that, mine is snappy and smooth throughout, and so far any issues have been minor and I'm finding tweaks for them. What I'm saying is it might be worth exchanging for another S6 to see if it is a problem with the specific phone you have. My guess is that's exactly what it is.

I've considered that. I do like how fast it is...and very easy to use.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't already, try removing any weather widget and turn off location services and see how the battery goes.

The LG G3 is a a big step backward from the S6, although if the battery is killing you, anything is better.

I'm thinking it's Lollipop overall. Samsung has promised an update. Let's hope.

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Same experience here. It's 2:30pm where I live, have had my s6 off the charger since 6:30am and sit at 74%. I'm cool with that. Moderate use.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I always wondered why people ask for help and don't say what carrier they are on. It would help so much to pinpoint why your phone is not behaving like mine.

This is on AT&T with 3 hours of gaming, an hour of YouTube, and some light texting. Everything turned on but VoLTE and wifi always scanning turned off and let wifi goto sleep.

435e5483cee59013e54f5f67fe056233.jpg

22be15ea4c8068a74b2fa6472c272707.jpg

Beemed to you with the GS6

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There have been numerous posts on how to resolve cell standby drain issue here. Have you tried it at all?

Simply turn off "smart network switch, always scanning for wifi source" in WiFi setting as they are unnecessary and can causing more drain. You may turn off VoLTE to see if it helps as well.

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
There have been numerous posts on how to resolve cell standby drain issue here. Have you tried it at all?

Simply turn off "smart network switch, always scanning for wifi source" in WiFi setting as they are unnecessary and can causing more drain. You may turn off VoLTE to see if it helps as well.

I dont think that's on Verizon

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I dont think that's on Verizon

I didn't notice anyone that said that they are on Verizon.
But yes, turn off VoLTE if on Verizon. Then if you want to try, restart your phone and turn it back on to see if it helps, if not leave VoLTE turned off.

People, you need to state what carrier you are on if you want help.

Posted via the Android Central App

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site

I agree - I think many folks do not realize the power drain caused by network-enabled widgets. The same goes for apps that have components that run in the background performing network comms. The "Battery" settings page can be really illuminating.

For example, yesterday I noticed that MLB At Bat was responsible for 6% of my battery usage...and I hadn't launched it. That drain was just for the widget displaying scores on my home screen. Like many widgets, you can adjust that one to update the frequency that it polls. Shockingly, that widget's default polling interval is every 15 freaking seconds....and the max polling interval is once a minute. Every 15 minutes would be fine for me. If I didn't have a Note 4, I would delete that thing in a heartbeat.

Some apps do the same even when you think they are shutdown. For example, my Amazon app alerted me that a package was delivered and I didn't have it running. I had all apps shutdown. Clearly it has something running in the background...or some way something in the background can push a notification to it.

You can't completely blame the S6 if you have a number of network-enabled widgets on your home screens and you have been installing dozens of apps that have network access permissions. Choose wisely. ;)

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Android really needs to start from scratch on how they present menus, settings, and options. There are so many different places to dig for everything that it is ridiculous and overwhelming.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
LG G3 over this, no offense this wins over G3 in every aspect except battery but with fast charging it's not that bad. If you were thinking G4 then may be but G3 no way.

jpopdallas

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Yea once I had my s6 set up and it settled in I'm getting good battery life. The thing with Google is if you had your previous phone synced then it usually synced all your apps, contacts, and other stuff to your new device. Once I turned on my s6 and sighed in to my google account my s6 went into overdrive. Whatever I had on my last phone was getting installed and synced to this new one. My s6 got real hot battery was draining but after about an hour it all settled in and I love my s6. The length of time it takes for your phone to settle in depends on your connection and how much data needs to be synced. I hope you keep it cause it is better than the g3 but they are both good phones.