The S6 Battery Life Conundrum

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Maybe tough for you but I'm not having battery issues. This thread needs to be merged with another battery thread. Nothing here is group breaking.

Posted via the Android Central App

If you read the original post, you'd know that I don't have battery issues and I'm trying to put it into perspective for those that are.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

katiheefner

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
It's weird how people are getting better results from the Push update, honestly. It's great, but this is still a Lollipop issue that needs to be fixed.

I haven't experienced better results. This is frustrating and confusing to me. Enough to ignore android if I wasn't a tech savvy person. I'll wait it out a few more days. Maybe try to exchange for a different phone Sunday. We will see.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I haven't experienced better results. This is frustrating and confusing to me. Enough to ignore android if I wasn't a tech savvy person. I'll wait it out a few more days. Maybe try to exchange for a different phone Sunday. We will see.

You said you were down to 66% with over 1 hour of SOT. You do realize that would equate to around 4 hours of SOT? I would consider that good battery stats.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
We will see at the end of the day.

FWIW, I'm at 69% with 1 hour, 27 minutes of SOT on my G3 which is supposed to be much better in the battery department over the S6. This isn't really all that much better than what you're seeing. So I'd be pretty content with the battery on the S6 if I get similar results to my G3.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, I'm at 69% with 1 hour, 27 minutes of SOT on my G3 which is supposed to be much better in the battery department over the S6. This isn't really all that much better than what you're seeing. So I'd be pretty content with the battery on the S6 if I get similar results to my G3.

I had the G3 last year. This phone can match or exceed the G3 in the battery life department.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-17-11-21-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-17-11-21-20.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot_2015-04-17-11-21-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-17-11-21-25.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 147

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Then I'll be fine. I'm ok with the G3 battery life. It isn't the best. But I can deal.

Pretty much everyone will be fine, but whining about it incessantly one week into the device's launch when other phones suffer the same type of drain is nothing short of hilarious. Especially since people like myself haven't been bashful in sharing our screens to show the battery life ceiling of an unaffected device. There's probably a lot of you not even 3-4 charge cycles in, either.

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
You've probably read about it ad nauseum by now. "My battery life sucks. I get like 2-3 hours on screen and have to charge it by 3PM". When T-Mobile decided that they would ship their devices early, I'm sure they didn't count on such an issue almost crippling their devices. Unfortunately, for a lot of you, it did cripple your phone. There's even some of you who were having performance issues alongside the battery issue and the complaints came rolling in. Honestly, I can't blame you; this is such an amazing phone and having it handicapped like that isn't exactly inspiring. There were a lot of us that didn't want to call it a dud that early, though, and wanted to wait until other carriers released their variants. When that happened, there seemed to be quite a bit of us that got devices with largely improved battery life and no performance issues. There's still those of you not on T-Mobile who are having the issues, too, but the important part is that there's S6 and S6 Edge devices out there that are performing as they should be.

That's the key part here. Battery life doesn't just increase for no reason. There's consistency in these devices that are getting 4-5 hours on screen and 17-24 hours of use. What that shows is that devoid of any issues, the battery life ceiling on this device as of right now is pretty high. That's good news, not bad news. The bad news centers around why some of you are having such terrible battery life on a phone capable of so much more.

Lollipop was supposed to be more efficient than ever before. Obviously it would take some time for Project Volta to sink in, but the new and improved ART was going to go a long way in increasing battery life. Somewhere along the line, there was confirmation of a cell standby issue on a variety of different Lollipop devices. My Nexus 6 suffers from it. My brother's Nexus 5 suffers from it. I wouldn't be surprised if some G3 and M8/M9 owners aren't having issues. This isn't confined to just the S6. Google has to be aware of this problem and a fix to correct it probably won't be too far off. If I sold my S6 to get a Nexus 6, I would be taking a risk that my Nexus 6 is afflicted by it, too. I can't stress enough that this isn't some isolated Samsung issue.

With that said, there seems to be a few of you who refuse to alter any settings to increase your battery life. While I don't agree at all, I can understand the position. It's not that you have to tweak anything---you don't, but you can if you want to. If I handed my coworker this device to use, set up as it comes out of the box, he could use it and get a full day out of it. He easily could if he turns off features/syncs that he doesn't use or want. The option to further battery life should be a welcome one, though some of you don't seem to agree.

I'd be 100% on board with the pitchforks some of you are carrying if this was some blatant error from Samsung and all these devices performed terribly out of the box. That isn't the case. You either have the patience for Google to fix this error or you don't. Just know that you may jump right back into the fire on a new Lollipop device if that's your response to this. Both the S6 and S6 Edge have solid battery life and excellent performance. You can either trust the vocal minority or the people who day in and day out see and share how well this phone performs. That's up to you.

Things I got from this post

1. It was T-mobile fault
2. It's lollipops fault
3. Turn off sync
4. If my co-worker can tweak the phone, so can you.
5. Please tweak your phone and stop making posts about battery life.
6. Let's blame everyone but Samsung.

How about we recognize the battery isn't that great, however there are other great things about the phone such as the screen, the design of the phone, the camera, and the improved touch wiz.

All devices aren't perfect, just because the battery isn't great on this phone does not mean it isn't a good phone.

You're basically blaming everyone but Samsung and telling everyone they're wrong, there isn't anything wrong with your phone.

Why do people have to disable useful features to enjoy their phone?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

1. It was T-mobile fault
2. It's lollipops fault
3. Turn off sync

How about we recognize the battery isn't that great, however there are other great things about the phone such as the screen, the design of the phone, the camera, and the improved touch wiz.

All devices aren't perfect, just because the battery isn't great on this phone does not mean it isn't a good phone.

You're basically blaming everyone but Samsung and telling everyone they're wrong, there isn't anything wrong with your phone.

I was waiting for you to chime in as you always seem to do. I never said anything was T-Mobile's fault. They just released the phone early and there were issues. It is a Lollipop issue---that's not really up for debate. This is the same kind of drain that's present on other devices, including my Nexus 6.

I don't really disable much of anything and I'm getting solid battery life, something I've shared over and over again (and so have others). So no, you don't have to disable/turn off anything to get good battery life, but you have the choice to and that's important. Which is why someone with a different usage case, like my coworker, could use this phone and have no issues with battery with factory settings.

I don't care if people tweak their phones, but they can. Simple as that. I'd rather have the option to improve my experience than not.

Samsung has blame in this, but this is week one and they've updated several variants, released a Samsung Push fix, and are apparently working to get 5.1 out. I'm not going to pull out the pitchfork this early, especially since I'm not having these issues at all and my device is performing extremely well in all areas.

The bottom line is that this phone has solid battery life and when the software is updated, more people will be able to see that. Josh over at Anandtech tested it recently and came to the same conclusion about it's performance.

So no, no tweaking necessary. Nor am I encouraging it. I'm just saying you can. Not sure you even read anything I said, but it's all good.

Last edited:

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
So, we here - a small percentage of users - are reading in these forums how to fix this issue.
What are the large percentage of users who aren't reading these forums going to do to fix this issue?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

1. It was T-mobile fault
2. It's lollipops fault
3. Turn off sync

Facts are so inconvenient, aren't they? adranalyne has graciously devoted a great deal of his time and numerous battery life screen shots that demonstrate his point. It is easy for those posting rubbish in response to cast rocks and ridicule. Have there been some valid examples of battery results on different carriers again demonstrating his point? Sure. If you preordered or purchased on release day, you are an early adopter. Deal with these issues whilst the appropriate updates are forthcoming. If you expected a magical device fully optimized, bug free with 7-8 hours of SOT and lasting 48 hours on a full charge, sorry to disappoint. Adranalyne has patiently addressed any questions posed to him and when he posts his opinion or observation backed up by facts or reasonable conclusions that contradict battery sucks brigade, he is shut down but brigade rants go up all over multiple,threads full of vile. My patience as I am sure his is wearing thin. Let's have a reasonable dialogue with each side presenting reasoned arguments backed up,to the extent possible with facts. We need to put an end to the puerile and so times infantile comments on both sides.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
At the least , I was expecting it to have properly working WiFi..I don't think that's a lot to expect.
Again, it's a mass produced device that was pushed out in less than a year and has only been out for a week. I wouldn't have minded if the release was in May or June if it meant these issues could have been avoided. Slick and quick as well as not caring how it gets there is not always best.

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Facts are so inconvenient, aren't they? adranalyne has graciously devoted a great deal of his time and numerous battery life screen shots that demonstrate his point. It is easy for those posting rubbish in response to cast rocks and ridicule. Have there been some valid examples of battery results on different carriers again demonstrating his point? Sure. If you preordered or purchased on release day, you are an early adopter. Deal with these issues whilst the appropriate updates are forthcoming. If you expected a magical device fully optimized, bug free with 7-8 hours of SOT and lasting 48 hours on a full charge, sorry to disappoint. Adranalyne has patiently addressed any questions posed to him and when he posts his opinion or observation backed up by facts or reasonable conclusions that contradict battery sucks brigade, he is shut down but brigade rants go up all over multiple,threads full of vile. My patience as I am sure his is wearing thin. Let's have a reasonable dialogue with each side presenting reasoned arguments backed up,to the extent possible with facts. We need to put an end to the puerile and so times infantile comments on both sides.

The discussion would involve owners of the device who are offended by the "horrible battery life threads" suggesting turning off useful features.

It's as simple as that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance