Battery Drain Fixed by Samsung!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Ok...I might be a tad presumptuous here, but Samsung sent through an update today to an App called "Samsung Push Service" which noted it fixed "power consumption" issues. Jerry referenced it in an earlier article saying his initial indications were that it may have fixed the WiFi drain, so I immediately updated the App:

Galaxy S6 battery life bad? This update might help | Android Central

Guess what! Almost 3.5 hours later and the dastardly "Cell standby" drain has completely disappeard! I went from draining my battery at 5% per hour sitting at my desk to under 2% per hour. Still need more time with this but the lack of any meaningful "Cell standby" in my battery stats (it's at 1%) and my significantly reduced idle drain on WiFi is VERY encouraging!

If this holds, hats off to Samsung for pushing through a fix!!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-16-15-49-13.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-16-15-49-13.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 435

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok...I might be a tad presumptuous here, but Samsung sent through an update today to an App called "Samsung Push Service" which noted it fixed "power consumption" issues. Jerry referenced it in an earlier article saying his initial indications were that it may have fixed the WiFi drain, so I immediately updated the App:

Guess what! Almost 3.5 hours later and the dastardly "Cell standby" drain has completely disappeard! I went from draining my battery at 5% per hour sitting at my desk to under 2% per hour. Still need more time with this but the lack of any meaningful "Cell standby" in my battery stats (it's at 1%) and my significantly reduced idle drain on WiFi is VERY encouraging!

Glad it's working for you. Let's hope this fixes it for a lot of people.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That same update came to my Note 4 this morning. My phone has been running very smooth and great battery life prior to that. I hope it helps many others who have had issues! My phone has Lollipop waiting to be installed, but I keep deferring, because I don't want those issues....so I'm wondering if it is helping those who have had issues with the Lollipop updates on other models as well.....

basurtoisaac

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site

So just press update on the app and that's all?

woody nh

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Got the update, looked back at Samsung Push Update on GSam battery and the use was 0.0% over the prior 18 hours. So I would not get too excited unless you use Samsung services, which I don't.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
It still looks like your battery is draining too quickly. I think you have too much stuff turned on.

From where I came from, it's a HUGE leap forward. Wish it was even lower drain, but not much more I can do:

WiFi Scanning - OFF
WiFi Smart Scan - OFF
WiFi Calling - DISABLED
Location Services - OFF
VoLTE - OFF
Google Now - OFF
All Edge Services - OFF
NFC - OFF
All Motions & Gestures - OFF
Screen Animations - OFF
Amazon App - DISABLED
A number of Google Services - DISABLED
Screen Brightness - Manual (about 40%)

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
So this is a Samsung issue? I thought it was an Android Lollipop issue, unless Samsung is pushing out Google's update.

DocRid

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
From where I came from, it's a HUGE leap forward. Wish it was even lower drain, but not much more I can do:

WiFi Scanning - OFF
WiFi Smart Scan - OFF
WiFi Calling - DISABLED
Location Services - OFF
VoLTE - OFF
Google Now - OFF
All Edge Services - OFF
NFC - OFF
All Motions & Gestures - OFF
Screen Animations - OFF
Amazon App - DISABLED
A number of Google Services - DISABLED
Screen Brightness - Manual (about 40%)

If you have NFC off, why is the symbol showing up in your status bar?

Also, what's your setting for retrieving e-mails? manual, fetch, push, etc.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm reluctant to download this app and apply the fix as I'm with Verizon and I find my battery life to be pretty amazing. I'm getting over 18 hours with over 4.5 hours of screen on time. And I don't use any Samsung services so I'm not even sure this would do anything for me.

Any other Verizon people out there having similar thoughts or reservations?

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
If you have NFC off, why is the symbol showing up in your status bar?

Also, what's your setting for retrieving e-mails? manual, fetch, push, etc.

Good catch...had it off and did a cache wipe-out and it must have turned back on by itself...turned it back off (again)!

Email schedule is all Push. Can't compromise on that for the sake of battery life. I'm in a pretty mission critical field and need instant notifications when I get email.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
So this is a Samsung issue? I thought it was an Android Lollipop issue, unless Samsung is pushing out Google's update.

I guess misinformation was being spread. Looks like it was a Samsung issue.

I haven't gotten the update yet, but eagerly await it. Would love better battery life on my phone.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
That same update came to my Note 4 this morning. My phone has been running very smooth and great battery life prior to that. I hope it helps many others who have had issues! My phone has Lollipop waiting to be installed, but I keep deferring, because I don't want those issues....so I'm wondering if it is helping those who have had issues with the Lollipop updates on other models as well.....

I'm reluctant to download this app and apply the fix as I'm with Verizon and I find my battery life to be pretty amazing. I'm getting over 18 hours with over 4.5 hours of screen on time. And I don't use any Samsung services so I'm not even sure this would do anything for me.

Any other Verizon people out there having similar thoughts or reservations?
I am with Verizon too, and posted the above earlier in the thread. I did do that update earlier this morning and in the blink of an eye it was done. So I don't think it was anything major and I have not seen any bad effect from it throughout the day today, but I did have it connected to charger a bit ago to transfer a bunch of files/pictures to my comptuer......so will see how it plays out tomorrow as far as battery.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm on VZ and I thought the battery was good before but now it's looking spectacular. Will take a few days to nail down the final numbers but this is noticeably better.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't think it was a Samsung issue. Samsung pushes updates to Samsung push services all the time. I'm sure though it helps.

While my cell standby has decreased, Google framework services has sky rocketed.

Posted via the Android Central App

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC