04-20-2015 07:43 PM
122 ... 345
tools
    The reason I got the S6 was because my s5 had the battery drain issue once I done the lollipop ota update. I was told that my s5 was buggy with lollipop because it was an update over the kitkat os. Made sense to me, I'm not super techy! The s6 was and is designed to run on lollipop. I didn't think it would have the exact same problem and then others to boot!

I didn't get this thing trying to impress anyone or tinker with it. I got it trying to get away from the bugs with lollipop on my s5. Only to encounter the exact same issue with the new phone that is built to run lollipop! I'm sure in not the only person that upgraded for that reason and I'll guarantee you I'm not the only one surprised that Samsung & Google dropped the ball this badly!
    04-18-2015 07:49 PM
    The reason I got the S6 was because my s5 had the battery drain issue once I done the lollipop ota update. I was told that my s5 was buggy with lollipop because it was an update over the kitkat os. Made sense to me, I'm not super techy! The s6 was and is designed to run on lollipop. I didn't think it would have the exact same problem and then others to boot!

I didn't get this thing trying to impress anyone or tinker with it. I got it trying to get away from the bugs with lollipop on my s5. Only to encounter the exact same issue with the new phone that is built to run lollipop! I'm sure in not the only person that upgraded for that reason and I'll guarantee you I'm not the only one surprised that Samsung & Google dropped the ball this badly!
    Imagine someone trying Samsung for the first time ever. Having a terrible experience such as yours and some others here. You think they'd be willing to come back? This describes me, only I luckily had a non buggy S6. If it was one of the bad battery buggy S6's Id have returned it and said bye bye to Sammy, maybe never coming back. So yeah there are surely others out there trying Samsung for the first time looking for an awesome android experience like me and having a crapshoot as to good/bad device they may end up with. After reading thru these threads I'm feeling very fortunate I got a good device. Sorry for your troubles man, shouldn't be that way.
    mrgiven likes this.
    04-18-2015 07:59 PM
    Take it back and get what? All android devices are suffering through lollipop bs! I definitely don't want an iphone or windows phone.

I'm hoping patience will pay off and I'll see and update and fix before my 14 days is up but I need my phone and can't always be connected to the dang charger! It's infuriating and beyond frustrating!
    Welp if that how you feel go get an iPhone. That would be more productive than whining on here like my 5 yr old.

Sent from my Galaxy S6
    04-18-2015 08:06 PM
    If I stop google services framework and Google play services what exactly does that limit or effect?
    Nothing as they will restart automatically, and if the regular Google Play service drain bug after they restart it will stop the drain until a reboot or a related a Google app update, then you should do the same again until a update to the Google Play services fix the issue.

BTW, there is already an update that is still not available at the store that some people are saying that is helping with the bug.
    04-18-2015 08:09 PM

You had a perfectly good reason to upgrade based upon what you thought was best for you.

Let's provide some perspective that i am certain that more techy people than me can add to.

In less than one year, Samsung accomplished a near complete re-design based upon the lessons it learned from the GS5 era. Your device as you know has a QHD 577 ppi display and a Exynos 7420 in house chipset that are more energy efficient and definite upgrades. This device has 3gb DDR4 RAM with UFS 2.0. What does,this mean? It's dang fast and you would expect huge battery to power it but little brother is powering it better than another Lollipop flagship, the M9. Dual wireless charging formats, rapid charging, and dual mobile payment systems. All this while streamlining and beginning a slim down of TouchWiz making it cleaner and more unified. No where even near dropping the ball by Samsung accomplishing this I less than one year. Neither Samsung or Google dropped the ball. Rushed things a bit? Sure. I would have been glad to see the GS6 in May or June if it means a launch with fewer bugs.
    04-18-2015 08:11 PM
    Yeah, I understand. With the supposed 'battery efficient' processor I was hoping it would overcome the smaller battery and be something really special. Guess not.

I think I have one more week before I have to return it, but I'm probably going to keep it. May consider a battery pack case. This will definitely be a 1yr phone....it's resale value is going to plummet quick.
    FYI Samsung replaces batteries for $45. I'm still on the fence, waiting for G4, but since I'll keep my next 2+ years it's nice to know I won't have to spend $100+ on a new battery (no matter what phone I and I always replace my battery every year). if reselling you can either pay for the new battery and put that in your ad or at least mention that. if that want an option, or it'd cost $100+ to swap batteries, no way would I consider buying an older phone on eBay/Swappa

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-18-2015 08:16 PM
    You had a perfectly good reason to upgrade based upon what you thought was best for you.

Let's provide some perspective that i am certain that more techy people than me can add to.

In less than one year, Samsung accomplished a near complete re-design based upon the lessons it learned from the GS5 era. Your device as you know has a QHD 577 ppi display and a Exynos 7420 in house chipset that are more energy efficient and definite upgrades. This device has 3gb DDR4 RAM with UFS 2.0. What does,this mean? It's dang fast and you would expect huge battery to power it but little brother is powering it better than another Lollipop flagship, the M9. Dual wireless charging formats, rapid charging, and dual mobile payment systems. All this while streamlining and beginning a slim down of TouchWiz making it cleaner and more unified. No where even near dropping the ball by Samsung accomplishing this I less than one year. Neither Samsung or Google dropped the ball. Rushed things a bit? Sure. I would have been glad to see the GS6 in May or June if it means a launch with fewer bugs.
    Mostly agree with ya. But like cbreze posted, he's new to Samsung and doesn't know how sweet these phones can really be cuz he got a buggy one too. That's where Samsung dropped the ball. I do agree about the redesign and upgrades in this device though. That's why I was geeked to get it and consequently as equally frustrated with the problems I was having.

Battery performance today has been fine and my Bluetooth hasn't disconnected or dropped mid call. My advanced calling works too so I'm actually happy with the phone today. I'm optimistic now because I haven't even got the update yet so it should only get better once it gets the update.
    04-18-2015 09:09 PM
    Mostly agree with ya. But like cbreze posted, he's new to Samsung and doesn't know how sweet these phones can really be cuz he got a buggy one too. That's where Samsung dropped the ball. I do agree about the redesign and upgrades in this device though. That's why I was geeked to get it and consequently as equally frustrated with the problems I was having.

Battery performance today has been fine and my Bluetooth hasn't disconnected or dropped mid call. My advanced calling works too so I'm actually happy with the phone today. I'm optimistic now because I haven't even got the update yet so it should only get better once it gets the update.
    The ceiling on this device as far as battery life is concerned is pretty impressive given the size of the cell. Glad you're starting to see improvements.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge
    04-18-2015 09:13 PM

Bobbled it. I can go with that. Samsung and your carrier added their twists as well but. I would save a little of that ire. Android is open source which can be a disadvantage. The forbidden fruit company has a much more mature and optimized but closed ecosystem. Expecting not to have glitches as an early adopter of an android device is unrealistic but no less a great destination to reach one day. If this is not something that you can live with, not you specifically then you need to consider a device that does.
    04-18-2015 09:17 PM

fair point.

I can definitely see how an iPhone/Windows user might be upset that their new device isn't living up to their expectations. for better or worse, Google places more emphasis on releasing their newest operating system quicker than they do on making sure that when it is released, it runs as smooth as possible.

In contrast, take Rockstar for instance, specifically GTA. They never set a release date far in advance, and when they finally do, it's typical that date gets pushed back several times. The result is having to wait a bit longer, but a game that's near perfect when it reaches your gaming console.

Whether or not Google decides to put a bigger emphasis on quality over timing remains to be seen. At the moment, they use the Nexus as their guinea pig and make changes as the next year's flagships roll out. Most Android users know this, but I can't fault someone that purchases a $700+ device to have higher expectations when they take it out of the box. And I certainly wouldn't expect most iPhone converts to be aware that Android does business that way.

For now though, it is what it is, and whether it's the S6, the soon to be released G4, or certainly the next Nexus, there will undoubtedly be some issues at launch. The good thing is you have options. You can either wait it out and tread water until things are smoothed out, or you can use an older device until the issues are resolved. In the future, unless Android changes their philosophy, you'll know what to expect.

Personally, I choose to wait a few months so that when I do get a device, I've had plenty of time to read all the reviews. That way I'm fully aware of any issues and can make a decision on whether or not I want to deal with those problems if they do in fact exist.
    mrgiven likes this.
    04-18-2015 10:30 PM
    Nothing as they will restart automatically, and if the regular Google Play service drain bug after they restart it will stop the drain until a reboot or a related a Google app update, then you should do the same again until a update to the Google Play services fix the issue.

BTW, there is already an update that is still not available at the store that some people are saying that is helping with the bug.
    Idk how to get that lpl
    04-19-2015 06:46 AM
    Already done that. Besides how could samsung fix a Google problem? The battery drain issues are across all brands of Android devices not just Samsung. The real permanent fix is an updated lollipop realease.
    The title of the post said the Galaxy S6 battery was unacceptable so I referenced a solution that was specific to the topic. I guess the only thing left to do is just wait for a fix or go get an iphone.
    04-20-2015 10:40 AM
    Searching for signal is going to be an issue, but Clevin is right. AT&T offers Microcells that use your WiFi to produce wireless signal. If T-Mobile offers that, that could be a huge help for you.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge
    T-Mobile has wifi calling + Boosters (to boost a weak LTE / HSPA signal) into your home. Sadly they do not have a Microcell like AT&T. AT&Ts Microcell is basically nothing more than a router for your phone (pretty much). It plugs into your home network like a PC would and uses that to get you cell service (just like wifi calling does for T-Mobile so that is my guess as to why they don't have a Microcell).
    04-20-2015 03:28 PM
    T-Mobile has wifi calling + Boosters (to boost a weak LTE / HSPA signal) into your home. Sadly they do not have a Microcell like AT&T. AT&Ts Microcell is basically nothing more than a router for your phone (pretty much). It plugs into your home network like a PC would and uses that to get you cell service (just like wifi calling does for T-Mobile so that is my guess as to why they don't have a Microcell).
    That's unfortunate. I wish more carriers had services/devices like that to help out those that need it.
    04-20-2015 03:39 PM
    Don't know what ur issue is. I'm getting awesome life here.
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S6 battery life is unacceptable!-screenshot_2015-04-20-15-44-19.jpg   Galaxy S6 battery life is unacceptable!-screenshot_2015-04-20-15-44-23.jpg  
    04-20-2015 03:43 PM
    That's unfortunate. I wish more carriers had services/devices like that to help out those that need it.
    All mainly do except T-Mobile but I assume that is due to all their devices having wifi-calling.
    04-20-2015 05:13 PM
    SO I've asked this several times but I am looking for opinions. I am looking for my S6 to last 7-8+ hours on screen. Is this ever going to be a reality? I am willing to keep it and wait for a fix but if this is not likely I will look into the note 4. Just looking for opinions.
    I don't even... Seriously? What device can last that long SOT? That's insane. You're asking too much in this day and age. Maybe next year a phone will be able to do that.

04-20-2015 05:27 PM
    SO I've asked this several times but I am looking for opinions. I am looking for my S6 to last 7-8+ hours on screen. Is this ever going to be a reality? I am willing to keep it and wait for a fix but if this is not likely I will look into the note 4. Just looking for opinions.
    No. The S6 will not average 7-8 hours of SoT.
    dpham00 likes this.
    04-20-2015 05:29 PM
    No. The S6 will not average 7-8 hours of SoT.
    At least not in typical usage. Even my note 4 wouldn't do so under typical usage.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
    msndrstood likes this.
    04-20-2015 06:05 PM
    My battery life is awesome as well.

Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S6 battery life is unacceptable!-923.jpg   Galaxy S6 battery life is unacceptable!-925.jpg  
    04-20-2015 07:00 PM
    I let mine drain all the way down the first day I had it then I fully charged it overnight. seems to kind of kick start the battery. I also installed Battery Dr and Clean Sweep and it's improved my battery life tremendously.
    04-20-2015 07:10 PM
    I let mine drain all the way down the first day I had it then I fully charged it overnight. seems to kind of kick start the battery. I also installed Battery Dr and Clean Sweep and it's improved my battery life tremendously.
    Glad they worked for you. Personally got over battery apps as they tend to take up space and IMO are more of a placebo.
    04-20-2015 07:43 PM
122 ... 345