Galaxy S6 battery life is unacceptable!

evolvedsapien

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
You can call tmobile to get a free cell Booster, as long as you have some signal, booster will work.
I already have one and that cell booster works off of WiFi. But that's what I'm saying; there is an issue with the T-Mobile-variant of the S6 where using it on WiFi calling mode DRAINS battery quickly.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
What's the culprit?

I have returned the S6: I really wanted to like it and loved everything about it except for that issue. I have used the iPhone 6 since September and use it with WiFi calling; my battery drain on that is nowhere close to when I was using the S6's WiFi calling feature.

Now the battery life of the S6 isn't bad at all when not using WiFi calling. So what's the culprit? How Android Lollipop handles WiFi?

Searching for signal is going to be an issue, but Clevin is right. AT&T offers Microcells that use your WiFi to produce wireless signal. If T-Mobile offers that, that could be a huge help for you.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I understand you've been saying that from day one. But what I'm saying is that if I turn off WiFi calling; I won't and can't receive any calls or texts on my phone. I have ZERO T-Mobile reception. Therefore I HAVE to turn WiFi calling on. I need calls/texts coming in for both work and family reasons obviously...it's a phone afterall at the end of the day; so I should be able to use it for that purpose.

I understand your specific situation but I really don't understand what's your issue. I'm saying that you turn it on when you need it, so in your case I don't see any difference, if you need it half the day then turn it on half the day and off the other half but if you need it on all day then don't turn it off at all.

Just FYI, today, after a whole week with great battery life and no abnormal Cell Standby drain, I noticed that it was a little lower than usual and when I checked the battery stats I noticed that Cell Standby was at the top, not as much as most of you with the issue but nevertheless at the top with 6%, knowing that it was the first time, the first thing I checked was all the settings I've turned off and for my surprise all of them were still off but the WiFi calling was on, weird because I haven't turned it on, so I turned it off again, and left the menu.

Just a moment ago I checked again because I saw that it was still draining just a little bit more than usual and when I looked again the WiFi calling was not on inside the menu but you know that you can see the status of it from the parent menu (Phone settings) well instead of showing disabled as it shows when it's off, or was saying Cellular Network Preferred, but when I look into the setting itself was off, so I turned it on and then off again and now it says disabled, but made me wonder what's happening specifically with that option and feature.

If you ask me there's something definitely wrong with it and with this experience now I'm more than ever sure that this is the main issue of the cell Standby in combination with other wifi settings.

If you have done everything suggested and all have the cell Standby issue, I insist on doing a wipe cache partition I recovery mode and then check if this option is showing what is suppose to be showing.

Last edited:

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I already have one and that cell booster works off of WiFi. But that's what I'm saying; there is an issue with the T-Mobile-variant of the S6 where using it on WiFi calling mode DRAINS battery quickly.

I am aware the wifi calling bug. I am not saying I can fix that.

Tmobile has two types of cell Booster, one works through wifi, one doesn't. I have the latter. Using that, you would not need wifi calling.

mrgiven

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I'll give you an advice, do a Full backup using the Smart Switch for PC (Or Mac) from Samsung, then Power Off your phone and Press and Hold Power, Volume Up and Home Button until you see a blue line of tiny words at the top of the screen then let off the buttons.

In there just look for Wipe Cache partition and do it, then do a Wipe Data/Factory reset and after that just reboot and before doing anything else just turn off VoLTE (Or whatever equivalent you have in your Carrier), Smart Network and Scanning Always Available from Wifi settings. Do a restore of your Settings or whatever the Smart Switch program allows you to and go from there.

I know it's a pain but if you are willing to return it then you won't mind to full reset and try it again. See what happens after you are back in business.

This Smart Switch, is it a free download or something? How do I get it?

mrgiven

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Done the wipe and reset. Turned off all the stuff listed but have it currently connected to WiFi to dl all my apps and backup. We'll see how it goes. I'll update in a couple hours. Thanks erasat for the help!

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Done the wipe and reset. Turned off all the stuff listed but have it currently connected to WiFi to dl all my apps and backup. We'll see how it goes. I'll update in a couple hours. Thanks erasat for the help!

I'm glad that you're willing to give it another shot. If it doesn't help them you probably got a lemon and there is nothing anyone can do. But of we can get you another few hours of standby and maybe 1 more hour of SoT then maybe it won't be a bad wait for T-Mobile and Google to fix a few problems.

Posted via the Android Central App

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Or....
If there wasn't a bunch having battery issues, there wouldn't be a bunch of battery issue threads.

Or...

If there weren't a bunch of people who didn't read one of the 30 or so threads about the same topic, there wouldn't be so many threads. Or if people understood it's a Lollipop issue that affects more devices than just the S6, maybe there wouldn't be such incessant whining.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Or...

If there weren't a bunch of people who didn't read one of the 30 or so threads about the same topic, there wouldn't be so many threads. Or if people understood it's a Lollipop issue that affects more devices than just the S6, maybe there wouldn't be such incessant whining.

I haven't heard this much whining since they changed the formula for Coke.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I have routinely gotten 5 to 6 hours sot with my VZ s6. The new update rocks! Over 5 today so far with 20% left.

Attachments

• 431.jpg
    431.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 430.jpg
    430.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 140

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I haven't heard this much whining since they changed the formula for Coke.

It was wrong to change the formula, and you know it! Lol

Hey, we are just lucky that 50% of the battery drain issues don't effect us on AT&T and Verizon (and quite possibly Sprint as well). Let us all be kind to the ones who are suffering the most, and give them a helping hand if posable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835