What should we expect from 5.1 update?

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Articles are saying that Samsung is diligently working on the Lollipop 5.1 update for both the S6 and S6E but hasn't given an exact time, saying only that it's in our near future.

Are any of you guys that are on the fence about battery life etc. holding our to see if this is the answer we've been waiting for?

Posted via the Android Central App

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'd rather this come from Google than Sammy, this issue is affects a number of manufacturers devices, Lollipop seems to be the culprit. Still on the fence, still waiting until I see proof...for any Android device that is.

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Besides the quick menu and interruptions, there's some huge changes to Android security.

I recommend having a read here about the upcoming changes.

If you mean, from Samsung I don't know to be honest.

From the recent e-mails/info around the net, seems like they want to expand the Theme Business for Galaxy S6 for 5.1. But whether it will be expanded by the time 5.1 comes out or not we don't know yet.

Hope it helps :p

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
What you should expect from 5.1 is a long LONG wait!

From some carriers, yes. T-Mobile seems to be on the ball with updates. My heart goes out to you if you're on Verizon or ATT. Can't really speak on international versions.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
From some carriers, yes. T-Mobile seems to be on the ball with updates. My heart goes out to you if you're on Verizon or ATT. Can't really speak on international versions.

My problem is that I live in central Kansas and while TMO has service here where I live, their signal disappears within a few miles of where I live. I tried their test drive deal with an iphone 5s about two months ago and I would have switch to them if I never went anywhere, but when we took a drive to areas that we go frequently we lost signal constantly and that is just unacceptable.

I probably wouldn't be so critical except that about three years ago my wife was involved in a very serious accident on highway 15 coming back up from Wichita. Her Verizon phone had service and they were able to call for help and emergency services. Had she been on TMO there would have been no service there. Since then I've become massively more selective about what provider we use and, even though Verizon is more expensive, we have found almost no where around us where service isn't available. So, no need to feel sorry for me, its more important to me to have a working phone when we need it than to have the very latest and greatest OS update. For me, its simply a matter of function over form, give me a phone and service that works where and when I need it and I'll gladly sacrifice having to run a version of android that is a notch or two behind other providers. Luckily, I didn't have to learn that lesson the hard way.

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
My problem is that I live in central Kansas and while TMO has service here where I live, their signal disappears within a few miles of where I live. I tried their test drive deal with an iphone 5s about two months ago and I would have switch to them if I never went anywhere, but when we took a drive to areas that we go frequently we lost signal constantly and that is just unacceptable.

I probably wouldn't be so critical except that about three years ago my wife was involved in a very serious accident on highway 15 coming back up from Wichita. Her Verizon phone had service and they were able to call for help and emergency services. Had she been on TMO there would have been no service there. Since then I've become massively more selective about what provider we use and, even though Verizon is more expensive, we have found almost no where around us where service isn't available. So, no need to feel sorry for me, its more important to me to have a working phone when we need it than to have the very latest and greatest OS update. For me, its simply a matter of function over form, give me a phone and service that works where and when I need it and I'll gladly sacrifice having to run a version of android that is a notch or two behind other providers. Luckily, I didn't have to learn that lesson the hard way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't every phone since 1997 have the ability to use other carriers towers during a 911 call regardless of being GSM or CDMA?

spawn9859

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't every phone since 1997 have the ability to use other carriers towers during a 911 call regardless of being GSM or CDMA?

This. Thats why it says "Emergency Calls Only" when you do not have service. There is virtually nowhere you can not call 911 from with every carrier.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
This. Thats why it says "Emergency Calls Only" when you do not have service. There is virtually nowhere you can not call 911 from with every carrier.

Sometimes calling ones significant other in a timely manner can almost be an emergency and if you don't, you may need 911 when you get home.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping 5.1 at the very least eases some of the battery drain issues if not outright fixes them. I still have battery issues but they are not anywhere near as bad a many people, so hopefully it at least solves some of the issues for people how have it the worst. Other then that all I would expect is general stability improvements.

Though 5.1.1 may be coming right behind it if some of the articles are to be believed. That's been a huge issue with Lollipop updates: as soon as the OEM starts working on an update another 5.X.X update comes out and they have to take the time to bundle it up with what their working on or just pass on it and try and solve it in later. Google needs to narrow down the big bugs and do a big update, not this little update here and little update there over and over. The Android update process is to jacked up to effectively support multiple small updates released quickly after each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo