My OK Google option 'from any screen' suddenly disappeared, where could it have gone?

GeneJockey

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
"OK Google" option 'from any screen' suddenly disappeared

Yesterday I set up voice commands on my S6 under Google/Google Now. Under settings there was an opportunity to select whether you want the voice recognition just from within Google or "from any screen". I opted for "from any screen"had the "from any screen". Today no matter what I do it is just not available - the ONLY option shown is from within Google. The 'voice training' is gone, option for any screen is gone and I cannot get it back no matter what I tried.

I have tried it with TouchWiz, Nova launcher and Google Now launcher - same problem. I have tried English (US) English (Canada) and English (UK) as default language all to no avail.

I have seen that others in other forums have the same issue so it is NOT just me, but so far no answers.

Yesterday when it was "working" I definitely saw that the function was sporadic, sometimes worked, sometimes not. But now I can't even select that option.

Makes me think that someone rolled out some sort of update and broke it....

LR7

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: "OK Google" option 'from any screen' suddenly disappeared

Same here on my S6 Edge. Though I never had it working. I got the Edge yesterday and the option was never there. I have confirmed that other people on the same version of Google Search app (different phone/non S6) have it working. I wonder if this is part of some patch to save the battery life from Samsung.....

DaHui623

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site

Same here. S6 on AT&T. That sucks because I definitely used it a lot.

Posted via the Android Central App

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

It should be there

Settings - System - Language and Input - Voice Input - Enhanced Google Services - "OK Google" Detection

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

jimbojack

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this phenomenon! I had it working great until yesterday, all my languages are setup correctly, I cleared data and I tried rolling back the search app to an older version but nothing has worked so far. I'm in the UK using EE.

I'm just relieved to hear I'm not alone.

I hope there's a fix soon, I use this feature a lot.

Last edited:

stevez444

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Add me to the list. AT&T S6. That option disappeared yesterday. Was using it all the time. Hoping for a fix soon. Will post if I find it.

victorhello

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem!! It's so annoying, especially because it's such a great feature..
I have the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge with a Dutch carrier.

viet001

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Same problem here. Started happening yesterday. Was working fine before. I'm on AT&T Galaxy S6.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

I have been having this problem as well for the past two or three days. (GS6 on Sprint).

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
On AT&T and this worked before the Samsung push update. On your home screen if you looked at the Google search widget the mic always turned black (from clear in a second) once you went back to the home page. It is no longer black.

I'm going to remove the Samsung update and see if that helps.

Last edited:

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Update, I went into settings then device manager then "all" apps to find the Samsung push app. Once found I pressed uninstall and it deleted the update (but of course it will not fully delete it). Then I restarted my phone.

The black mic is back once you goto the screen with the Google search widget. And it works on that page. I don't think it works on other pages but I might not have that setting checked off.

BUT IT NOW WORKS AGAIN!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I honestly think Google is screwing their own pooch here. I have yet to use a Google app on a phone other than a nexus that doesn't have some sorry of bug or glitch.

Sprint S6 here and Google now is non existent. Was working great up until i read this thread. ...tried it and nope....

Frenzytom

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

Same problem here as well. Verizon version here. Updated the Samsung Push Service app too.

Cherah85

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site

The same thing happened to me. Mine wouldn't work at all. I did a factory reset and so far it has worked.

*~Cherah~*

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I honestly think Google is screwing their own pooch here. I have yet to use a Google app on a phone other than a nexus that doesn't have some sorry of bug or glitch.

Sprint S6 here and Google now is non existent. Was working great up until i read this thread. ...tried it and nope....

Do what I said and you'll find your relief. Too bad we can't blame Google like you said since this was a Samsung screw up. But hey, why not blame Google?

GeneJockey

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Do what I said and you'll find your relief. Too bad we can't blame Google like you said since this was a Samsung screw up. But hey, why not blame Google?

Um, not quite. I did the Push uninstall and indeed it changed the microphone icon on the main home screen, but it did NOT do anything to solve the issue we have all been posting about. Under Google Now settings there was (2 days ago) an option to use "OK Google" from ANY screen. Now it is gone. If the Samsung push update broke that, then why didn't that return when the update was rolled back?

Over on Google forums there have been posts that suggest that Google themselves silently disabled this since some were complaining that their phone "activated" randomly. Supposedly some Google rep told a user this over the phone.

I'm not buying that explanation either. The Google Now Launcher still has "OK Google" functionality on all launch screens.

Oh, and furthermore, I just re-installed the Samsung Push service update and guess what? The black mic icon is still there. So much for your 'it's all Samsung's fault'. I mean it MAY WELL BE - but so far you have offered no solution that shows that. Sorry.

0dBu

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site

There was a theory that it was tied to the latest Google Play Services update, but I downloaded and installed that manually and mine still works just fine, also running the latest Samsung Push Update. I'm rooted and running Nova Launcher if that matters.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Um, not quite. I did the Push uninstall and indeed it changed the microphone icon on the main home screen, but it did NOT do anything to solve the issue we have all been posting about. Under Google Now settings there was (2 days ago) an option to use "OK Google" from ANY screen. Now it is gone. If the Samsung push update broke that, then why didn't that return when the update was rolled back?

Over on Google forums there have been posts that suggest that Google themselves silently disabled this since some were complaining that their phone "activated" randomly. Supposedly some Google rep told a user this over the phone.

I'm not buying that explanation either. The Google Now Launcher still has "OK Google" functionality on all launch screens.

Oh, and furthermore, I just re-installed the Samsung Push service update and guess what? The black mic icon is still there. So much for your 'it's all Samsung's fault'. I mean it MAY WELL BE - but so far you have offered no solution that shows that. Sorry.

You are right. Since the Google app was also updated just 2 days ago then this could also be the culprit. I also just looked and the setting for use on all home pages is no longer listed when I'm quite sure there was a setting for this.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

You are right. Since the Google app was also updated just 2 days ago then this could also be the culprit. I also just looked and the setting for use on all home pages is no longer listed when I'm quite sure there was a setting for this.

So you wanna take back what you said about my post? :) just teasin ya. All is good!

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Add me to the list. I know I turned it on before and now the option is totally gone. Grrrr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton