There seems to be little agreement or standardization, so, you'll see things ranging from "My battery life is great/sucks" with little or no other reference or justification for the statement in question. Alternatively you have (very) vague descriptors such as "...in 16 hours of heavy/moderate/light use, I found...." Not terribly helpful either.

So while a few variables that are hard to reliably quantify contribute greatly to observed battery life (search for signal in low signal area, streaming videos, etc) there is one pretty stable and reliable way to assess battery life that will work regardless of what carrier you're on and that is "SCREEN ON TIME" ("SOT"). While not a perfect measure because of variables that it does not take into account, I believe this will at least help in bringing some standardization to the discussion of battery life.

Since getting the phone, I've been seeing anywhere from an absolute low of 3.5 hours of SOT to a max of about 5:15 of SOT.

I would strongly suggest that any poster who wishes to discuss battery life always include a screen shot of SOT.
    smooth4lyfe and acles003 like this.
    04-18-2015 06:06 AM
    Me too. Actually getting closer to 6hr SOT.
    04-18-2015 06:19 AM
    how do you see what your SOT is? I can't find it in any settings - or do you need an app?
    04-18-2015 06:36 AM
    You can either download GSam or you can go in to Setting > battery, then click the Screen %
    Thanks!
    04-18-2015 06:45 AM
    Right now, depending on how I want to use the phone, I can get between 12-15 hours if I want to run the screen time closer to 5 hours. If I'm trying to stay between 3:30-4:30, I can stretch it 18-22 hours.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge
    Attached Thumbnails How To Judge Battery Life-screenshot_2015-04-12-18-15-03.jpg   How To Judge Battery Life-screenshot_2015-04-12-18-15-13.jpg   How To Judge Battery Life-screenshot_2015-04-17-15-14-59.jpg   How To Judge Battery Life-screenshot_2015-04-17-15-15-06.jpg   How To Judge Battery Life-screenshot_2015-04-08-21-31-38.jpg  

How To Judge Battery Life-screenshot_2015-04-08-21-31-44.jpg  
    04-18-2015 06:48 AM
    There seems to be little agreement or standardization, so, you'll see things ranging from "My battery life is great/sucks" with little or no other reference or justification for the statement in question. Alternatively you have (very) vague descriptors such as "...in 16 hours of heavy/moderate/light use, I found...." Not terribly helpful either.

So while a few variables that are hard to reliably quantify contribute greatly to observed battery life (search for signal in low signal area, streaming videos, etc) there is one pretty stable and reliable way to assess battery life that will work regardless of what carrier you're on and that is "SCREEN ON TIME" ("SOT"). While not a perfect measure because of variables that it does not take into account, I believe this will at least help in bringing some standardization to the discussion of battery life.

Since getting the phone, I've been seeing anywhere from an absolute low of 3.5 hours of SOT to a max of about 5:15 of SOT.

I would strongly suggest that any poster who wishes to discuss battery life always include a screen shot of SOT.
    Thanks for the thread and trying to initiate a more structured conversation rather than another rant thread that unfortunately we all resuscitate instead of euthanizing and relegating them to the rubbish heap. SOT and total time on charge are a good way to measure but still depend upon carrier and personal usage variables that play a huge role as not every carrier and owner experiences same. Perhaps also adding carrier and device tweaks would be helpful as well so that we all benefit and learn from one another instead of the slings and arrows and feeling retaliation instead of mutual respect and civility.
    04-18-2015 09:54 AM
    Already answered.
    04-18-2015 12:44 PM
    Already answered.
    Pardon my ignorance but what was "already answered?"
    04-18-2015 12:52 PM
    Pardon my ignorance but what was "already answered?"
    I was answering someone's question in this thread but I found out someone already answered it so I erased my post and put already answered. My bad. Probably not the best choice of words .lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    04-18-2015 01:02 PM
    I have been trying to standardize any and all battery life questions. What is truly needed to receive help is a list of the following....

1) what carrier or country you use/are in.

2) post screen shots of your phones history and screen on time but before you plug it in (say at 20%, we can't help you if your pictures are with the phone being used in the first hour.).

3) Please also tell us what you did on your phone for that time period.
    When I post screen shots, I list all the things I did and for approximately how long.

Example:

On AT&T, with VoLTE off, wifi on but always scanning and smart switch turned off, everything syncing besides any social media, location services on.

I played 3 hour of video games, 1 hour of YouTube, some text and email, and about an hour of web.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails How To Judge Battery Life-687.jpg   How To Judge Battery Life-688.jpg  
    04-18-2015 01:13 PM
    I have been trying to standardize any and all battery life questions. What is truly needed to receive help is a list of the following....

2) post screen shots of your phones history and screen on time but before you plug it in (say at 20%, we can't help you if your pictures are with the phone being used in the first hour.).

When I post screen shots, I list all the things I did and for approximately how long.

Example:

On AT&T, with VoLTE off, wifi on but always scanning and smart switch turned off, everything syncing besides any social media, location services on.

I played 3 hour of video games, 1 hour of YouTube, some text and email, and about an hour of web.

Where do you turn off VoLTE? Is that the same thing as HD Voice?
    04-18-2015 01:31 PM
    Thanks for the thread and trying to initiate a more structured conversation rather than another rant thread that unfortunately we all resuscitate instead of euthanizing and relegating them to the rubbish heap. SOT and total time on charge are a good way to measure but still depend upon carrier and personal usage variables that play a huge role as not every carrier and owner experiences same. Perhaps also adding carrier and device tweaks would be helpful as well so that we all benefit and learn from one another instead of the slings and arrows and feeling retaliation instead of mutual respect and civility.
    Those threads wouldn't deteriorate to that if you'd quit calling everybody with battery life issues whiners.
    04-18-2015 01:37 PM

Example:

That's good battery life given what you were doing. Most of the tests I've seen in the reviews where they concluded battery life was poor to fair, the reviewer had brightness turned up all the way, wifi on and Facebook, Twitter, etc running. All of those things will drain a battery. For me, I don't do Facebook, etc, use auto screen brightness and only talk, text and get push email. So my usage has a different drain on the battery than what I've seen anybody test so far.

To answer the OP's question, you can only test the phone yourself using it the way you use a smart phone. If battery life is unacceptable, then you can start disabling some of the bloat software that's always running as well as turn off Location Services, wifi scanning and VoLTE or HD talk. Then use the phone how you normally do and see if those changes make any difference.
    04-18-2015 02:10 PM
    Where do you turn off VoLTE? Is that the same thing as HD Voice?
    Go to settings > mobile networks > mobile data > enhanced 4G LTE services

Bare in mind, that Voice over LTE (VoLTE) or HD voice only works if both partys have a capable phone and the service is turned on on both devices.

04-18-2015 02:23 PM
    That's good battery life given what you were doing. Most of the tests I've seen in the reviews where they concluded battery life was poor to fair, the reviewer had brightness turned up all the way, wifi on and Facebook, Twitter, etc running. All of those things will drain a battery. For me, I don't do Facebook, etc, use auto screen brightness and only talk, text and get push email. So my usage has a different drain on the battery than what I've seen anybody test so far.
    I always feel that auto brightness is too dim indoors for me. As a result, my tests are with brightness set at 35% indoors, but when gaming or watching YouTube it is set at 50% or slightly higher. Outdoors it's set at auto.

04-18-2015 02:28 PM
    SoT won't tell you that you're getting very short time between charges because you have a very weak mobile signal (which eats as much battery as the screen, if not more). It won't tell you if you have a bad SD card (which can lock Media Scanner up and kill the battery in an hour). It won't tell you if you have the 5GHz/Cell Standby bug.

There's really no way to compare batteries between phones, unless both phones are being used exactly the same way, have exactly the same firmware and are in just about exactly the same place. (Move one into a dead spot a few feet away and the battery life will plummet.) The valid comparison is how is your battery life now, with approximately the same usage pattern, compared to right after you conditioned the battery when it was new? If you're getting 5% loss in capacity every month, you have a bad battery. If you're getting 95% capacity after 2 years, you could have done better, but the battery is still pretty good.

But comparing battery life on a phone used mostly within sight of the tower but indoors against one used 10 miles from the tower and usually in bright sunlight is comparing apples to ducks.
    04-18-2015 03:26 PM
    Are we saying that people who are claiming to only get 2 hours of SOT on the Galaxy S6 are clearly using their devices much differently than people claiming to get 6 hours of SOT?
    04-18-2015 03:53 PM
    I have 38% battery left and screen on time says 2 hours and 12 min, but I took it off the charger yesterday morning at 8:00am. I guess I have poor battery life, but I feel I'm using the phone normal. Maybe with heavy use I would see the problem. In battery usage, my screen is the last on the list at 2% of total battery usage.

04-18-2015 04:01 PM
    Are we saying that people who are claiming to only get 2 hours of SOT on the Galaxy S6 are clearly using their devices much differently than people claiming to get 6 hours of SOT?
    No, he is not. He's saying that SoT alone is not enough information to assess if there is a problem or not. Other factors may be a huge influence such as being on T-Mobile and having additional battery drain due to poor software implementation of wifi calling because T-Mobile didn't test the software that they installed themselves.

04-18-2015 04:05 PM
    I have 38% battery left and screen on time says 2 hours and 12 min, but I took it off the charger yesterday morning at 8:00am. I guess I have poor battery life, but I feel I'm using the phone normal. Maybe with heavy use I would see the problem. In battery usage, my screen is the last on the list at 2% of total battery usage.

Too little information to determine anything. Please reread what I posted above on what is needed for us to help you answer your question.

04-18-2015 04:07 PM
    Ok, I usually don't bother with all this stuff but I'm going to make an exception since this thread hasn't deteriorated in mindless rantings -- yet.

I'm on Verizon and a marginal signal area with my signal strength usually running between about -102 to 104 dbm. I have disabled everything that I don't use but I do have some things running that are frequently mentioned as potential problem areas. I have Location running at full tilt, I have wifi running almost 100 percent of the time except the examples below when I did turn it off for about 3 hours because I was in an area where wifi was not available. I H/D voice running, I have both power saving modes turned Off. I have an app called Lux running by screen brightness adjustments (and it does a GREAT job). You'll see in the battery stats that I do get some cell standby drain but also notice that with 52 percent battery left that I have used 3 hours screen time, which means that I should get about 6 hours for yesterday which is when I grabbed these screenshots.

I'm not here to disparage anyone elses problems, but just to show that some of us are not seeing those extremes.

How To Judge Battery Life-screenshot_2015-04-17-21-07-49.jpgHow To Judge Battery Life-screenshot_2015-04-17-21-07-54.jpgHow To Judge Battery Life-screenshot_2015-04-17-21-07-59.jpg

But now, here's where I go off. Over the last few days this forum has grown completely out of control. Where the hell are the moderators? And, why are they doing their jobs? I am so tired of both sides that I think I'm just going to leave AC for now. Nothing is being learned at this point, it has just disintegrated into back and forth arguments that are accomplishing nothing. If you hate the phone, just do us all a favor and go get something else, I don't get what is so difficult to understand about that. For the other side, let it go, quit arguing with them. No one is going to change anyone else's mind about this phone at this point.

I've been around AC for awhile and have posted a fair amount from time to time, but there's nothing I can do to help those who either refuse to help themselves by trying tweaks to fix the issue or just help themselves by going to another product that will make them happy. I've done that, I returned an S5 for an M8 a year ago. I didn't come into these forums and scream and flail about like a 5 year old having a tantrum. I just went and got another phone and I was a happy camper over in the M8 forums. Anyway, hope everyone figures out what it will take to make them happy, for me, that's taking a sabbatical away from these forums. Take care all!
    jcp007 likes this.
    04-18-2015 05:01 PM
    One has to be happy with there device first . No matter what others suggest to try and help them out will be mostly a waist of time if they already decided they hate or are unhappy with there phone. In such case they should just take it back and get something else.

I like my phone so I have been trying all the suggestions in this forum to make it better with some success until Samsung or google give us some updates to fix some of the issues many people are having.

Also keep remembering it's a new phone just released with a fairly new operating system so things are not going to work perfect for everyone right out the gate.

But I am optimistic the bugs will get worked out and it will be a great phone.

Laptops and other electronics almost always start there lives with bugs and glitches but mostly get straightened out . ( most of the time ) but not always.
    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    berdinkerdickle and jcp007 like this.
    04-18-2015 05:17 PM
    I really like the phone, and I think the battery is ok, and should get better with future updates.

jcp007 likes this.
    04-18-2015 06:05 PM