Switched from Sprint S6 to At&t S6 - Best move ever! - Ask me anything.

anacrusis

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I've been with Sprint since 2007 and now I wonder why I didn't switch sooner. Mostly it was because of my company discount but that's no excuse to stick with sub-standard service. Here are the main reasons for the immediate switch.

Sprint S6 Cons:
  • Can't talk and surf simultaneously.
  • Can't talk and gps simultaneously.
  • Limited service at work location (Wife had same issue).
  • Spark. What Spark? - Sprint map suggests we should be drowning in it but non-existent in most locations.
  • Tried to originally pre-order via phone call and was on phone over an hour with someone that couldn't understand anything I was saying.

At&t S6 Pros:
  • Easy switch - about 45 minutes from start to finish.
  • Haven't had a dead spot yet. 4GLTE everywhere.
  • Super fast data as compared to Sprint. Sprint data always started slow and then would finally speed up.
  • Paid $100 less for our phones (wife and I) without a lame rebate card offer.
  • Can use GPS and talk at the same time. This is crucial since I travel frequently.
  • Can use Data and talk at the same time. This is crucial since I need to review files on my phone while talking to work.
  • Can have a mobile hot spot without paying extra for it!

I didn't realize how bad we had it until making the switch. Sprint is peddling "unlimited data" to cover up the fact that their service is obsolete. I guess the only con to At&t is we're limited to 10GB of data a month but we rarely used over 5GB with Sprint.

Side Note: Always deactivate Sprint Integration if you use Google Voice BEFORE making the switch. Took almost two days to get my number back thanks to a Sprint programming issue they couldn't resolve. Luckily Google stepped in and developed a fix a few months ago but takes time to process.

anacrusis

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Because I was initially judging some of the problems on the S6 and not the service. If you review some of these threads you'll notice a common theme among Sprint S6 users. The phone is only as good as the service. This is relevant to Sprint S6 users.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Because I was initially judging some of the problems on the S6 and not the service. If you review some of these threads you'll notice a common theme among Sprint S6 users. The phone is only as good as the service. This is relevant to Sprint S6 users.

It's great to have you. Welcome from the Dark Side. I think your observation is great. From a software perspective, mainly Lollipop, those things have and will be addressed. It's not necessarily the hardware. With any mass produced device, there are bound to be issues requiring return and exchange. Early adopters need to be patient about thing that they can't control as Android is not a closed ecosystem. If there are hardware issues or not, they need to work with the carrier and determine exchange or return as well as changing carriers. There are alternatives as far as carriers are concerned. You may get better service and they may cover off etf.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The same issues will effect the Verizon customer's, too, if they're disabling HDVoice to save battery. (simultaneous V/D) AT&T doesn't have the same limitation, so we road warriors can stay in business. I'm making the switch to AT&T right now for the reasons the OP outlined.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The same issues will effect the Verizon customer's, too, if they're disabling HDVoice to save battery. (simultaneous V/D) AT&T doesn't have the same limitation, so we road warriors can stay in business. I'm making the switch to AT&T right now for the reasons the OP outlined.

There are a number of them that don't realize it either with the multiple rants on the dozens of battery life threads since the MWC in March.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been with Sprint since 2007 and now I wonder why I didn't switch sooner. Mostly it was because of my company discount but that's no excuse to stick with sub-standard service. Here are the main reasons for the immediate switch.

Sprint S6 Cons:
  • Can't talk and surf simultaneously.
  • Can't talk and gps simultaneously.
  • Limited service at work location (Wife had same issue).
  • Spark. What Spark? - Sprint map suggests we should be drowning in it but non-existent in most locations.
  • Tried to originally pre-order via phone call and was on phone over an hour with someone that couldn't understand anything I was saying.

At&t S6 Pros:
  • Easy switch - about 45 minutes from start to finish.
  • Haven't had a dead spot yet. 4GLTE everywhere.
  • Super fast data as compared to Sprint. Sprint data always started slow and then would finally speed up.
  • Paid $100 less for our phones (wife and I) without a lame rebate card offer.
  • Can use GPS and talk at the same time. This is crucial since I travel frequently.
  • Can use Data and talk at the same time. This is crucial since I need to review files on my phone while talking to work.
  • Can have a mobile hot spot without paying extra for it!

I didn't realize how bad we had it until making the switch. Sprint is peddling "unlimited data" to cover up the fact that their service is obsolete. I guess the only con to At&t is we're limited to 10GB of data a month but we rarely used over 5GB with Sprint.

Side Note: Always deactivate Sprint Integration if you use Google Voice BEFORE making the switch. Took almost two days to get my number back thanks to a Sprint programming issue they couldn't resolve. Luckily Google stepped in and developed a fix a few months ago but takes time to process.

I switched from Sprint to AT&T three years ago, for the exact same reasons. Surprising that the same issues still exist 3 years later. AT&T has been working great for me, and I've hand no signal issues with my S6.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Getting away from Sprint is always a win/win. No downside to it. You get what you pay for and Sprint service/coverage is total crapola.
I had Sprint twice! Yeah gifted myself to it a second time due to an unusual brain fart that occurred. Never again. Paid ETF to get the "F" away from them.
Welcome away from the Dark Side absolutely.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I can understand the reason to move for the not being able to simultaneously talk and browse the web or talking and GPS. However the coverage is really based on the individual and their location. I for instance when at work still get decent voice and data n Sprint while all my Verizon, AT&T and t-mobile using coworkers in my building barely hang on to one bar and are constantly complaining.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I can understand the reason to move for the not being able to simultaneously talk and browse the web or talking and GPS. However the coverage is really based on the individual and their location. I for instance when at work still get decent voice and data n Sprint while all my Verizon, AT&T and t-mobile using coworkers in my building barely hang on to one bar and are constantly complaining.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge??????(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

Thus more battery drain at a faster rate leading to some to conclude that it must be the device.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Thus more battery drain at a faster rate leading to some to conclude that it must be the device.

Very true, that's why I don't count my battery until in ideal conditions, wifi or at least 3 bars of consistent 3g coverage. LTE actually burns battery too.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I have sprint and is great where i live and work. Period. So this thread is purely subjective. I'm glad moving away from sprint helped you, but to bash them because they didn't work for you is childish at best.

Good luck to you.

Posted via the Android Central App

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have sprint and is great where i live and work. Period. So this thread is purely subjective. I'm glad moving away from sprint helped you, but to bash them because they didn't work for you is childish at best.

Good luck to you.

I agree with you, that identifying a carrier that works for your area is very subjective. For me, I live in Seattle where AT&T coverage is superior to Sprint, but for others Sprint might be better depending on where they live and travel to.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's great to have you. Welcome from the Dark Side. I think your observation is great. From a software perspective, mainly Lollipop, those things have and will be addressed. It's not necessarily the hardware. With any mass produced device, there are bound to be issues requiring return and exchange. Early adopters need to be patient about thing that they can't control as Android is not a closed ecosystem. If there are hardware issues or not, they need to work with the carrier and determine exchange or return as well as changing carriers. There are alternatives as far as carriers are concerned. You may get better service and they may cover off etf.

Huh? The issues he mainly stated are hardware related due to cdma versus GSM.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Huh? The issues he mainly stated are hardware related due to cdma versus GSM.

Sorry. Got a bit ahead of myself anticipating what might be coming next as a great many threads like this that start out great get inundated with a battery life battle which, to your point, wasn't mentioned by the OP, yet.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you, that identifying a carrier that works for your area is very subjective. For me, I live in Seattle where AT&T coverage is superior to Sprint, but for others Sprint might be better depending on where they live and travel to.

Exactly. T mobile is non existent here but I'm sure they kick it in Orlando. At&t is OK here but really no better than sprint. I'm not going to bash any of them because i choose, which is my choice, to stay with them because they work for me.

anacrusis

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

Good luck to you.

It's not subjective. You can't use data and talk at the same time for most of the new smartphones coming out from Sprint.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not subjective. You can't use data and talk at the same time for most of the new smartphones coming out from Sprint.

How can you use the devices to their full multitasking capabilities? I would have jumped ship years ago. Been with AT&T since 1994.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How can you use the devices to their full multitasking capabilities? I would have jumped ship years ago. Been with AT&T since 1994.

It is a recent change. Long story short.. Older phones for Sprint had two radios (one for voice and one for data) since a CDMA radio can only handle one. The newer ones only have one radio so.. Only one of those tasks. It can be fixed if Sprint launched VoLTE (since calls and data would all go over LTE so.. Basically all data) but I don't see that happening soon.

A GSM radio (T-Mobile / AT&T) can handle voice and data with just 1 radio.. So that's why voice and data works.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It is a recent change. Long story short.. Older phones for Sprint had two radios (one for voice and one for data) since a CDMA radio can only handle one. The newer ones only have one radio so.. Only one of those tasks. It can be fixed if Sprint launched VoLTE (since calls and data would all go over LTE so.. Basically all data) but I don't see that happening soon.

A GSM radio (T-Mobile / AT&T) can handle voice and data with just 1 radio.. So that's why voice and data works.

Thanks. Kind of thought that was the case. How can anyone not be frustrated not to have the same capabilities as a GSM carrier?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance