How to add Samsung Flipboard App Widget to Nova Launcher?

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Ok...so I've been using the Nova Launcher for a bit and, believe it or not, the one thing I miss from the TouchWiz home screen was the fullscreen Flipboard widget to the left of the home screen. I know many people disabled it but I think it's actually pretty slick.

That said, I can't find that Samsung Flipboard widget to add to my Nova home screen. I downloaded the 'standard' Flipboard from the Play Store and it doesn't have a fullscreen widget and it doesn't operate as well as the one that comes with the S6. Is the app perhaps embedded into TouchWiz so you can't use it on another launcher?

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok...so I've been using the Nova Launcher for a bit and, believe it or not, the one thing I miss from the TouchWiz home screen was the fullscreen Flipboard widget to the left of the home screen. I know many people disabled it but I think it's actually pretty slick.

That said, I can't find that Samsung Flipboard widget to add to my Nova home screen. I downloaded the 'standard' Flipboard from the Play Store and it doesn't have a fullscreen widget and it doesn't operate as well as the one that comes with the S6. Is the app perhaps embedded into TouchWiz so you can't use it on another launcher?

Most Samsung specific software won't load the widgets on 3rd party launchers. That's why we could never get the stock weather widget to work properly or show up on 3rd party launchers.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge🔪(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's surprising, because there's a Flipboard widget in my Nova on a Note 3. Maybe the S6 Flipboard doesn't have a widget.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Most Samsung specific software won't load the widgets on 3rd party launchers. That's why we could never get the stock weather widget to work properly or show up on 3rd party launchers.

Posted on my Galaxy S6 Edge??????(S is for Super) via the Android Central App

Bummer...as I feared! Can't seem to find any news readers with as slick an interface. It's really well done!

mariusfilip

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
i think it's the same app from the playstore, but it's installed as a system app, you can resize the widget in Nova by long pressing the widget :)

KillahX

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
i think it's the same app from the playstore, but it's installed as a system app, you can resize the widget in Nova by long pressing the widget :)

Thats not what she talking about. The flipboard briefing is nothing like the widget. Its sleek, similar to HTC blink feed except it's all news.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a fix for this but it's not a widget exactly, its the full screen app

Ok so once in nova launcher do this

Long press the screen to pull up the widgets menu>scroll all the way to the top and look for something called "Activities">scroll down to something called "Briefing" and select it, it should open and give you 3 options>Select the one that says "flipboard.boxer.gui.LaunchActivity"

You should now see the icon on your home screen, it'll open like an App, like I said above you cant get in on the actual left home screen but at least you can get to it when needed (whats odd tho is that if you press the home button while in the app itll slide to the left as if you was using the default launcher pretty odd)

I actually don't use it this way tho cause I don't want an icon of it. I long pressed my app menu button and added the option so when I swipe up on it then flipboard full screen will open :)

Jimmyjoe

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
DUDE!!!

Wow... thank you very much for posting this... I also really enjoyed the briefing in touchwiz and this works great.

Also thanks for enlightening me to more of the advanced features of Nova!

Great post!

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
No problem! I can never go back to the default launcher because of this

Like for example I swipe up on my Google maps icon and it starts navigation to my house automatically no need to talk or type just swipe up on the app

Its just another reason I love android, its so much more than what people think it is

dollface

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
No problem! I can never go back to the default launcher because of this

Like for example I swipe up on my Google maps icon and it starts navigation to my house automatically no need to talk or type just swipe up on the app

Its just another reason I love android, its so much more than what people think it is

Whoa, what? Can you kindly detail how you get your Google map icon to do this. I use Nova launcher and am not informed on this feature. thank you

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Whoa, what? Can you kindly detail how you get your Google map icon to do this. I use Nova launcher and am not informed on this feature. thank you

Sure! Do these instructions. (I am not sure if you need Nova Prime or not)

Make sure you have google maps on one of your home screens>long press it and a menu should pop up select "edit">select "Swipe action">above you should see NOVA APPS SHORTCUTS go to shortcuts and and select "directions" then type in any place and your go to go

JustMusic13

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site

Long press the screen to pull up the widgets menu>scroll all the way to the top and look for something called "Activities">scroll down to something called "Briefing" and select it, it should open and give you 3 options>Select the one that says "flipboard.boxer.gui.LaunchActivity"

You should now see the icon on your home screen, it'll open like an App, like I said above you cant get in on the actual left home screen but at least you can get to it when needed (whats odd tho is that if you press the home button while in the app itll slide to the left as if you was using the default launcher pretty odd)

I actually don't use it this way tho cause I don't want an icon of it. I long pressed my app menu button and added the option so when I swipe up on it then flipboard full screen will open :)

Thanks for the info! As a long time Nova user, i dont think i had ever found the activities section! However when trying to do this on my LG V20, it immediately says "unfortunately briefing has stopped" and will never succesfully launch the app beyond that. Any thoughts? Is LG blocking it maybe? Any help would be much appreciated!

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
uhh... the method I used was on a S6 with the samsungs version of flipboard built in... I don't know if you could even get that on any other phone tbh

joeyakaspce1130

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

Thank you!! I'm using the same setup as you now. I prefer the swipe aso well. 😉

ZoneXQ

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't see an "activities" section anywhere within the widgets list on my S7. I'm using nova with prime and the flipboard briefing works fine when I switch back to touchwiz. Any ideas?

ZoneXQ

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't see an "activities" section anywhere within the widgets list on my S7. I'm using nova with prime and the flipboard briefing works fine when I switch back to touchwiz. Any ideas?
Never mind. I just downloaded the stand-alone Flipboard app from the play store and it seems to work well enough.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Never mind. I just downloaded the stand-alone Flipboard app from the play store and it seems to work well enough.

If you still wanna give it a shot, long press home screen and select widgets

at the very top of the list it is labeled under nova

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2