Google Play Services Update

fritzo81

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
There's a new Play Services update for the GS6

Download Here

** "Uploader's notes: Latest Google Play Services apk for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge"

** I'm using a VZW GS6 and the update worked for me. Download at your own risk.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Will the phone automatically get these updates when they are available or do you have to find and install them manualy.?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
There's a new Play Services update for the GS6

Download Here

** "Uploader's notes: Latest Google Play Services apk for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge"

** I'm using a VZW GS6 and the update worked for me. Download at your own risk.

Good find. I'm using the AT&T S6 Edge so we'll see how this goes. Version number is quite a bit higher than what came stock.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Already have it on sprint. V7. Pushed to phone yesterday. I am seeing an improvement in battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Installed the update via the APK and while it's still a bit early I am seeing some improved standby time and drain does not seem quite so high when in use. I should be able to cross the 3 hour mark for SoT and hit about 18 to 19 hours total before dropping below 5%; usually when I was at 3 to 4 hours of SoT I would only reach about 14 to 16 hours total time on a charge.

I wouldn't be able to say if it made an strong impact until I get a few full days on it, and I'm doubtful it'll help with the cell standby issue many are seeing since that is more a Lollipop issue, but perhaps this update fixed some of the Play Services wake lock issues.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Good find. I'm using the AT&T S6 Edge so we'll see how this goes. Version number is quite a bit higher than what came stock.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

Probably low down side risk on the non-Edge variant but being risk averse, I will wait for the carrier to push it out.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Probably low down side risk on the non-Edge variant but being risk averse, I will wait for the carrier to push it out.

As a side note I have a non edge side note and am see no issue at all. As long as it has the -440 at the end of the version number that means it's configured for the S6 hardware/Android firmware. It's also easily removable should not work correctly, and all that will happen is a bunch of notifications that Google Apps need access to play services if the incorrect one is installed. Also, thankfully, the carrier has nothing to do with it so It'll pop up as a update in the Play Store like all other apps. Sometimes rebooting will cause the update notification to trigger.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Will the phone automatically get these updates when they are available or do you have to find and install them manualy.?

Yes tour phone will automatically download play services updates. Or, you can find the apk from a trusted source, and install it before hand. I recommend apkmirror.

Posted using my Galaxy S6 via the Android Central App

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I just started getting the wakelock issues last night. Lost almost 10% battery in about 5 hours of standby. Hopefully this version fixes the issue.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I just started getting the wakelock issues last night. Lost almost 10% battery in about 5 hours of standby. Hopefully this version fixes the issue.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

2% isn't bad. It all depends on what you have running in the background. Heck, i lose 2%.

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Is being out by AT&T? I looked at About Device and there is no update. I looked in Google Play Store. How will I know if it has already been pushed? Will any of the version numbers in the About Device change?

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Is being out by AT&T? I looked at About Device and there is no update. I looked in Google Play Store. How will I know if it has already been pushed? Will any of the version numbers in the About Device change?

AT&T has nothing to do with it (thank goodness) and nothing will change in About Device. Google Play Services will update via the Play Store like any other app, but because it is a rather important update you'll get a notice in the notification shade stating there is an update for it. Like many apps the update roll out ramps up to 100% so if you haven't received the update yet it may take another week or two to push to you. If you go into the application manager, go to All, and then scroll down to Google Play Services and select it there will be a version number on the info page. If the version is 7.3.28 then you have gotten the update.

Basically the only way to get the update is to either load the APK (it has to be one that ends in -440 or you'll have a few errors with Google Apps) or just waiting until you get the app update notification.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
AT&T has nothing to do with it (thank goodness) and nothing will change in About Device. Google Play Services will update via the Play Store like any other app, but because it is a rather important update you'll get a notice in the notification shade stating there is an update for it. Like many apps the update roll out ramps up to 100% so if you haven't received the update yet it may take another week or two to push to you. If you go into the application manager, go to All, and then scroll down to Google Play Services and select it there will be a version number on the info page. If the version is 7.3.28 then you have gotten the update.

Basically the only way to get the update is to either load the APK (it has to be one that ends in -440 or you'll have a few errors with Google Apps) or just waiting until you get the app update notification.

Wow...I'm on version 7.0.99...looks like I'm way behind versions! Can't wait for the update! Hoping it helps!

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Wow...I'm on version 7.0.99...looks like I'm way behind versions! Can't wait for the update! Hoping it helps!

That's what I was on before the update. I think Google jumped from 7.0 right to 7.3 for the version number. I'm seeing much better standby performance when I'm on WiFi (regardless of the band or type of router) as it seems Google Services isn't going into overdrive any longer, though the moment I turn off WiFi or go out if WiFi range Google Services kicks into high gear again and the drain gets worse, though not quite a bad as before. Not a miracle cure by any means, but they seem to be making progress.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm on verizon and have 7.3.28 I got my phone on release day . The 11th . And I manualy update all my apps and go through them before I do and I never seen the update unless it updated when they first turned the phone on at the verizon store on the 11th. It's also not in my update history. Maybe it was already on my phone.