04-20-2015 10:38 AM
62 123
tools
    Do you even own a GS6'and have any first hand experience? To clarify, Lollipop 5.0.2 is the Android OS and TouchWiz is the Samsung UI skin over Lollipop? TouchWiz is unlikely as the source of those afflicted with less than great battery life.
    I just received my Galaxy S6 but haven't used it enough to say how good or bad the battery life has been for me personally. But even if I did it still doesn't affect my point as I stated that some are getting good battery life and some just aren't so one more good or bad battery life story doesn't matter. Also I'm pretty sure it would be simple for a company to completely screw up their skin of Lollipop and cause the device to lag and consume more battery life as this is what we have been seeing with past Samsung devices. If they dedicated themselves, or even a small team, both Samsung and Google, to improve the software they could most definitely improve the battery life of all android devices.
    04-18-2015 06:28 PM
    I just received my Galaxy S6 but haven't used it enough to say how good or bad the battery life has been for me personally. But even if I did it still doesn't affect my point as I stated that some are getting good battery life and some just aren't so one more good or bad battery life story doesn't matter. Also I'm pretty sure it would be simple for a company to completely screw up their skin of Lollipop and cause the device to lag and consume more battery life as this is what we have been seeing with past Samsung devices. If they dedicated themselves, or even a small team, both Samsung and Google, to improve the software they could most definitely improve the battery life of all android devices.
    Agreed.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-18-2015 06:33 PM
    I understand that its not fare to compare Android to Apple which is why I gave 3 examples of Android devices with a marginal increase in battery capacity that have a major increase in battery life for some reason. The Apple reference was just to show how if Samsung really wanted to or Google with Android for that matter could truly increase battery life by digging deep into the software and cleaning it up (which is close to what you just mentioned about the lollipop bugs). Also, to my knowledge, based off what I have reading and hearing is that majority of S6 users are not even getting close to 5 hours of SOT which is why I made this post. If you scroll up you'll see that a user has managed to get 6 hours of SOT and he/she claimed that "Everything was turned on and that's even things left off by default, and they gamed for over 3 hours, were on YouTube for an hour, texted and emailed, and used the web for an hour." Do these people just have faulty devices are is there something wrong software wise that will fix their devices? Right now no one knows.
    You're right. No one knows for sure but with those struggling with battery life issues, at least for some, the common denominator APPEARS to be Google Play Services. Battery life struggles could also be exacerbated by carrier device configuration and network signal strength. Samsung has already pushed out an update that has helped some. I am sure that a number of Googly geniuses are diligently working on this. Maybe it will be addressed with Lollipop 5.1.1.
    04-18-2015 06:33 PM
    You're right. No one knows for sure but with those struggling with battery life issues, at least for some, the common denominator APPEARS to be Google Play Services. Battery life struggles could also be exacerbated by carrier device configuration and network signal strength. Samsung has already pushed out an update that has helped some. I am sure that a number of Googly geniuses are diligently working on this. Maybe it will be addressed with Lollipop 5.1.1.
    Completely true!
    04-18-2015 06:38 PM
    Your problem may have been solved with a few tweaks that you did on wifi. But before you did so you had the issues.

Me on AT&T never had an issue due to wifi calling as it's not built in to the software that AT&T provides.

And I've seen AT&T / Verizon users with the same issues (cell standby) .. So your claim that it is only T-Mobile is incorrect... Since as you said they don't have wifi calling but are reporting the exact same drain from the exact same component.
    04-18-2015 06:41 PM
    I'm getting great battery life on my Samsung S6. I get around 20-23 hours, including 7-8 hours of sleep where I don't use the phone. I would say I'm a moderate user. And I don't get good reception at my place with Rogers.

Posted with my Galaxy S6
    Attached Thumbnails Something just isn't adding up with this poor battery life.-6436.jpg  
    04-18-2015 06:51 PM
    I'm on verizon and cell stand by is always number 1 or 2 in my battery usage wether I let phone sit without use or use it non stop right after unplugging it. Not as bad when wifi is off but still around the top. And yes I've done all the things in this forum suggested. The crazy part is I still get pretty good Battery life anyway .
    But yes it's not only tmobile with this issue.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    04-18-2015 06:51 PM
    No it would NOT be an interesting test.
    For one thing it will probably brick your phone because most of the SoC will not be able to run with a 32 bit operating system.

But if it did run I'm sure most of the features will not work and would be worthless to try.

But I still think it's a great idea.

To my knowledge its backwards compatible just like computers are. You can run 32-bit windows all day on a 64-bit computer. You can even dual boot it like that.
    04-18-2015 06:55 PM
    On my AT&T GS6, there is no lag issue. You might want to spend some time playing with the various menus just so you learn more about tuning it to your liking. Any updates will involve Google, Samsung and carrier. The TouchWiz UI footprint is a bit smaller and is more streamlined and unified. It is far less klunky than the versions in prior Galaxy S devices. You might notice this in the phone or stock messaging apps. There are a lot fewer gimmicky UI features that were excluded. Samsung also allowed you to disable bloat and to load apps previously found on the GS5 at the your discretion.
    04-18-2015 07:02 PM
    Lol people still think the cell stand by is T-Mobile only issue? There are many people across carriers reporting issues that cell stand by chewing off battery when WiFi is turned on.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    04-18-2015 07:07 PM
    On my AT&T GS6, there is no lag issue. You might want to spend some time playing with the various menus just so you learn more about tuning it to your liking. Any updates will involve Google, Samsung and carrier. The TouchWiz UI footprint is a bit smaller and is more streamlined and unified. It is far less klunky than the versions in prior Galaxy S devices. You might notice this in the phone or stock messaging apps. There are a lot fewer gimmicky UI features that were excluded. Samsung also allowed you to disable bloat and to load apps previously found on the GS5 at the your discretion.
    Im not referring to lag on the S6 as I havent had it lag at all for yet, im referring to past iterations of TouchWiz.
    04-18-2015 07:15 PM
    And I've seen AT&T / Verizon users with the same issues (cell standby) .. So your claim that it is only T-Mobile is incorrect... Since as you said they don't have wifi calling but are reporting the exact same drain from the exact same component.
    Your right, even I have issues if everything is turned on full blast. I've shown it too. But since I'm on AT&T, I don't have the 4th issue. The same 4th issue people on Verizon also don't have.

The problem is not one issue as I see it. It's 4 issues that are causing the battery drain. I've tested and watched it closely and know what's causing it.

But while there might be some bad phones on Verizon and AT&T, the vast majority are not lemons and do not have cell standby issues caused by wifi calling at all.

So I'll repeat myself for the last time. There are 4 things that cause high cell standby. 2 are due to wifi issues, 1 by location services, and the last only T-Mobile have with wifi calling.
    The first 3 are lollypop related. The last one is fully a T-Mobile issue.

Anyone not on T-Mobile that gets less than 4 hours of SoT has a faulty unit or is in a rally bad cell reception area. There is no further issues on Verizon or AT&T besides what is in lollypop. Nobody on Verizon or AT&T with a perfectly good phone is getting results like on T-Mobile.

I'm getting 5 hours of SoT with plenty of gaming and video streaming and everything turned on full blast. That my friend is the norm on AT&T and Verizon. The ones who complain are the exception to the norm and not what is normal.

If you see anyone who is getting less than 4 hours of screen on time with AT&T or Verizon, send them my way, I'll help them and get them going in the right direction or determine that it is just a faulty device.

04-18-2015 07:17 PM
    Your right, even I have issues if everything is turned on full blast. I've shown it too. But since I'm on AT&T, I don't have the 4th issue. The same 4th issue people on Verizon also don't have.

The problem is not one issue as I see it. It's 4 issues that are causing the battery drain. I've tested and watched it closely and know what's causing it.

But while there might be some bad phones on Verizon and AT&T, the vast majority are not lemons and do not have cell standby issues caused by wifi calling at all.

So I'll repeat myself for the last time. There are 4 things that cause high cell standby. 2 are due to wifi issues, 1 by location services, and the last only T-Mobile have with wifi calling.
    The first 3 are lollypop related. The last one is fully a T-Mobile issue.

Anyone not on T-Mobile that gets less than 4 hours of SoT has a faulty unit or is in a rally bad cell reception area. There is no further issues on Verizon or AT&T besides what is in lollypop. Nobody on Verizon or AT&T with a perfectly good phone is getting results like on T-Mobile.

I'm getting 5 hours of SoT with plenty of gaming and video streaming and everything turned on full blast. That my friend is the norm on AT&T and Verizon. The ones who complain are the exception to the norm and not what is normal.

If you see anyone who is getting less than 4 hours of screen on time with AT&T or Verizon, send them my way, I'll help them and get them going in the right direction or determine that it is just a faulty device.

But once again it isn't T-Mobile specific. It is on all carriers and wifi calling doesn't seem to cause the drain. With wifi calling on or off I got the drain... With wifi calling on.. On my 2.4 GHz network there is no drain. So It has literally nothing to do with the wifi calling... It is the software and wifi on the phone for all carriers. I bet 5.1 lollipop would solve it.
    04-18-2015 08:18 PM
    But once again it isn't T-Mobile specific. It is on all carriers and wifi calling doesn't seem to cause the drain. With wifi calling on or off I got the drain... With wifi calling on.. On my 2.4 GHz network there is no drain. So It has literally nothing to do with the wifi calling... It is the software and wifi on the phone for all carriers. I bet 5.1 lollipop would solve it.
    With default settings you have the T-Mobile specific issue. Nobody else has that added issue. You are not seeing Verizon or AT&T users with less than 4 hours of SoT. There is nothing else to say or add to this subject. You are even listing what you did to temporarily fix the issue for you, so clearly you have said T-Mobile ONLY issue.

Thank you and goodnight. /bow

04-18-2015 08:48 PM
    I'll say it again, the discrepancy in SoT is for the most part is the fact that some people are on T-Mobile and the rest aren't.

If you read a review like from this website. You'll find that Andrew did a great job of reviewing the phone. But he used a T-Mobile device and thus his thoughts on battery life is poor. Read other reviews that also used a T-Mobile device and you'll find the same results. Now read a review or look at the battery life of users/reviewers on AT&T and Verizon and you'll see 5 to 6 hours of SoT as compared to 2.5 to 3.5 hours of SoT with T-Mobile.

This is a dead topic. The phone never had poor battery life even with the bugs in lollypop. Only T-Mobile phones had poor battery life. It's as simple as that.

04-18-2015 08:55 PM
    With default settings you have the T-Mobile specific issue. Nobody else has that added issue. You are not seeing Verizon or AT&T users with less than 4 hours of SoT. There is nothing else to say or add to this subject. You are even listing what you did to temporarily fix the issue for you, so clearly you have said T-Mobile ONLY issue.

Thank you and goodnight. /bow

What? I just said with it on or off I got the drain.. So It being on by default didn't matter. There is no issue with wifi calling. Please don't keep just saying I'm wrong when you're not reading my posts.

No issue with wifi calling being on or off. Cell standby occurred either way. Cell standby was solved for me by going to a lower band. That solved my cell standby issue.. Which other carriers have.

So once again.. Not a T-Mobile only issue.
    04-18-2015 08:59 PM
    What? I just said with it on or off I got the drain.. So It being on by default didn't matter. There is no issue with wifi calling. Please don't keep just saying I'm wrong when you're not reading my posts.

No issue with wifi calling being on or off. Cell standby occurred either way. Cell standby was solved for me by going to a lower band. That solved my cell standby issue.. Which other carriers have.

What you don't understand is that nobody else has your issue with changing the bands on their wifi. I know I don't. So YES, your issue is specifically tired to what T-Mobile did or didn't do with the software.

Oh, and stop putting words in my mouth.

04-18-2015 09:14 PM
    What you don't understand is that nobody else has your issue with changing the bands on their wifi. I know I don't. So YES, your issue is specifically tired to what T-Mobile did or didn't do with the software.

Oh, and stop putting words in my mouth.

We can't prove if that's the case as no one has found a true fix for cell standby for others. So we're just guessing as to the cause. Some fixes work for some and not others.. Some do other things that others didn't have to do. So to just say it's a carrier software with no proof doesn't make much sense .
    04-18-2015 09:20 PM

I can confirm that the issue is unrelated to WiFi Calling or VoLTE and most people on XDA Developers are coming to the same conclusion at this point. I turned them both off with zero effect.

The only thing that stopped the battery drain (for me) until the Samsung fix was turning off WiFi. When I turned WiFi off, the drain magically disappeared. It seems to have affected all carriers but the impression is that it's a T-Mobile issue because they had the most phones out there for a while due to their early release. That said, I do think it's been disproportionate with AT&T phones having the fewest issues comparatively and T-Mobile having the most. No idea how that could be.

I also have come to the conclusion that the "Cell standby" notation under battery is not reflecting what is truly happening with the phone. I think WiFi is being lumped into that category because if you look at GSam Battery Monitor, WiFi %'s are extremely high when the drain is occuring.

In the end, this is a WiFi issue whereby the S6 is not playing nicely with a number of WiFi routers which perfectly explains the variability in this in that some people have the issue and others don't.
    Ngster, Almeuit and bhatech like this.
    04-18-2015 10:18 PM
    Mod note: please keep the discussion civil and on topic. Thread subscribed.
    04-18-2015 10:39 PM
    Thanks Techno. That's what I've been trying to say.. WiFi calling on or off doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Techno-guy likes this.
    04-18-2015 11:07 PM
    This thread seems to be very US carrier specific. I'd be interested to know if anybody in the UK has similar issues with their S6 phones? We have Vodafone, EE, O2, as the main carriers and I don't see UK users moaning about specific carriers causing battery life issues on their S6. US is not the biggest market for Samsung so a bit of a global balance on this issue wouldn't go amiss.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.
    04-19-2015 12:22 AM
    This thread seems to be very US carrier specific. I'd be interested to know if anybody in the UK has similar issues with their S6 phones? We have Vodafone, EE, O2, as the main carriers and I don't see UK users moaning about specific carriers causing battery life issues on their S6. US is not the biggest market for Samsung so a bit of a global balance on this issue wouldn't go amiss.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.
    No you won't have any added issues outside of what is in lollypop. You will not have battery life problems that only one carrier in the US is having. You will have 5 to 6 hours of screen on time with about 16 hours of standby... Give or take depending on your usage.

I know that I'm happy and I'm in the US. I'm sure you will be too.

04-19-2015 01:13 AM
    No you won't have any added issues outside of what is in lollypop. You will not have battery life problems that only one carrier in the US is having. You will have 5 to 6 hours of screen on time with about 16 hours of standby... Give or take depending on your usage.

I know that I'm happy and I'm in the US. I'm sure you will be too.

Sorry.. Want to state again all have cell standby not just T-Mobile. Even though you want to claim that .
    smooth4lyfe, dpham00 and player22 like this.
    04-19-2015 01:25 AM
    Your problem may have been solved with a few tweaks that you did on wifi. But before you did so you had the issues.

Me on AT&T never had an issue due to wifi calling as it's not built in to the software that AT&T provides.

I have Tmobile and I never had any issues unless they did something to mine before I received it.

04-19-2015 05:57 AM
62 123