04-20-2015 10:38 AM
62 123
tools
    Sorry.. Want to state again all have cell standby not just T-Mobile. Even though you want to claim that .
    Once again, Almeuit is correct. Warpdrive, you may want to see this thread about Verizon that just popped up yesterday. And, I've seen plenty of posts from Sprint and AT&T users as well.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post4370444

As for the international issues, I agree that this seems to be predominately U.S. carrier specific other than the general Lollipop battery issues (but I do recall one in the UK with the battery drain). The S6 has fantastic battery life potential, as we've seen on this Forum, but needs updates to make everyone's phone operate the same.

My cell standby got fixed with the Samsung update but it seems that didn't work for everyone. Maybe the Google Play Services update about to hit will help others. The reality is that the U.S. carriers like to monkey around with the software which creates another point of failure in these devices. It's really a shame.

It's hard enough managing a 2 company relationship on these complicated devices (Google - Samsung) but when you throw a third into the mix (the carrier), you're just asking for trouble as well as substantial delays in fixing things. It's a terrible system but unless Google and/or Samsung take charge and say to the carriers they can no longer have a say in the system software (like Apple does), the dysfunction will never get fixed.

Symbolic of this dysfunctional system is the fact that only 2% of Android phones even have Lollipop on them more than 6 months after launch on Nov. 12th. In the Apple world, 6 months after launch nearly 90% of the phones would have the latest release, with most of that coming in the first few weeks.
    wrmoore47 likes this.
    04-19-2015 07:54 AM
    Once again, Almeuit is correct. Warpdrive, you may want to see this thread about Verizon that just popped up yesterday. And, I've seen plenty of posts from Sprint and AT&T users as well.

As for the international issues, I agree that this seems to be predominately U.S. carrier specific other than the general Lollipop battery issues (but I do recall one in the UK with the battery drain). The S6 has fantastic battery life potential, as we've seen on this Forum, but needs updates to make everyone's phone operate the same. The U.S. carriers like to monkey around with the software which creates another point of failure in these devices. It's really a shame.

It's hard enough managing a 2 company relationship on these complicated devices (Google - Samsung) but when you throw a third into the mix (the carrier), you're just asking for trouble as well as substantial delays in fixing things. It's a terrible system but unless Google and/or Samsung take charge and say to the carriers they can no longer have a say in the system software (like Apple does), the dysfunction will never get fixed.

Symbolic of this dysfunctional system is the fact that only 2% of Android phones even have Lollipop on them more than 6 months after launch on Nov. 12th. In the Apple world, 6 months after launch nearly 90% of the phones would have the latest release, with most of that coming in the first few weeks.
    There's profit to be made on all sides when carriers get involved. They get to add their bloat and get people to use their services. Samsung gets a device provisioned to work on that network. It's all about money at this point. Until sales really suffer, this won't change.

With that said, it still should change. The overall experience would improve greatly if updates came straight from Samsung after Google fixes their end. These devices need 5.1 or 5.1.1 as soon as possible to fix these issues some people are having.

Oh, and to end this debate; these bugs are present on all carriers. It may not seem as widely spread on some, though. It's a Lollipop issue. The more people accept that, the easier this will be.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge
    04-19-2015 08:04 AM
    Sorry.. Want to state again all have cell standby not just T-Mobile. Even though you want to claim that .
    But not in England and that's my point.....

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.
    04-19-2015 08:44 AM
    Most definitely. I get up to 5% an hour drain on 5ghz wifi. 2.4 ghz brings it down to 2 to 3 %.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
    Almeuit likes this.
    04-19-2015 09:44 AM
    Hey guys, just thought I'd chime in and add that I don't think it's purely a Lollipop versus Kit Kat issue. I have a non-Samsung phone, but I read the forums because I like them and we have some in the family. Anyway, my phone was updated to Lollipop a couple weeks ago, and battery life sucked for the first 48 hours, and has steadily improved since then. I have hundreds of screen shots for runtime, so it was easy to make comparisons. Under Lollipop, battery life in the ultra saver mode got slightly worse, but life in the normal powersave mode got hugely better. It seems it took a while for Lollipop to sort out what services were needed and which were not, and now I don't even bother with the ultra saver mode when trying to stretch things out for a few days.

Now keep in mind when someone says they get two days on a charge, that they are not talking about two full days of use. They sleep and the phone just sits there for hours, and when listening to music the screen is not even on. SOT is hugely different from idle time, and how much power any device draws depends on how CPU-intensive the use is, how many radios are on, screen brightness, what location based services are doing, etc. Music streaming uses almost nothing under lollipop, web usage is a bit worse (but not much). The big hit is gaming, and it's always been that way under both versions of Android. I can go for hours with barely a drop, then I get into a game and the battery graph looks like the grand canyon! Anyway, the things I've done to improve things are simple, and just involve leaving extra radios off if I'm not going to be using them. No point in having Google search for wireless signals all the time when driving, or bluetooth on when you left your headset at home. My son has the Galaxy Mega (which could probably jump-start a car), and he complains about charging because he leaves everything on all the time. For screen brightness, I use the auto mode, but with one setting for indoors at night, and one for daytime. That's probably taking down extra battery right there, but hey; if I'm in direct sun wearing sunglasses I need to SEE!
    04-19-2015 09:58 AM
    Most definitely. I get up to 5% an hour drain on 5ghz wifi. 2.4 ghz brings it down to 2 to 3 %.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
    Likewise dpham .
    04-19-2015 12:06 PM

As for the international issues, I agree that this seems to be predominately U.S. carrier specific other than the general Lollipop battery issues (but I do recall one in the UK with the battery drain). The S6 has fantastic battery life potential, as we've seen on this Forum, but needs updates to make everyone's phone operate the same.

My cell standby got fixed with the Samsung update but it seems that didn't work for everyone. Maybe the Google Play Services update about to hit will help others. The reality is that the U.S. carriers like to monkey around with the software which creates another point of failure in these devices. It's really a shame.

Let's put the dysfunction into perspective. Apple strictly controls it ecosystem and is the only makers of their devices. Therefore, more control. You have to update iOS to keep this device integration and optimization. No one can flash a ROM. Look at KitKat . There are probably more device on this OS than say ginger bread or ice cream sandwich. Over time, more device with adopt Lollipop,except those that are EOL. Realize that we have the updated version of 5.0 whereas 5.1 is probably coming to our devices later this year probably before fall. Just a guess there.
    04-19-2015 05:00 PM
    Let's put the dysfunction into perspective. Apple strictly controls it ecosystem and is the only makers of their devices. Therefore, more control. You have to update iOS to keep this device integration and optimization. No one can flash a ROM. Look at KitKat . There are probably more device on this OS than say ginger bread or ice cream sandwich. Over time, more device with adopt Lollipop,except those that are EOL. Realize that we have the updated version of 5.0 whereas 5.1 is probably coming to our devices later this year probably before fall. Just a guess there.
    Fair points, no doubt...but if Google would just take charge and demand that only Google will control OS stuff (including updates) and not let anybody monkey around the OS it would put an end to this mess. If carriers or manufacturers want to add things to the phone (like TouchWiz or carrier functions), then those add-on's need to be Google Play store updates so they don't get in the way of core OS things.

That would allow Google to roll out OS updates to all Android users at once, like Apple does. And when Samsung wanted to update TouchWiz or the carrier wanted to update a function exclusive to them, they could do it on their own schedule through the Google Play Store. Seems like such an easy way to handle something that Google has lost control over.

Agreed, Apple has a far easier time being in charge of everything, but Google could take this separation approach if they really wanted to.
    04-19-2015 05:17 PM
    Fair points, no doubt...but if Google would just take charge and demand that only Google will control OS stuff (including updates) and not let anybody monkey around the OS it would put an end to this mess. If carriers or manufacturers want to add things to the phone (like TouchWiz or carrier functions), then those add-on's need to be Google Play store updates so they don't get in the way of core OS things.

That would allow Google to roll out OS updates to all Android users at once, like Apple does. And when Samsung wanted to update TouchWiz or the carrier wanted to update a function exclusive to them, they could do it on their own schedule through the Google Play Store. Seems like such an easy way to handle something that Google has lost control over.

Agreed, Apple has a far easier time being in charge of everything, but Google could take this separation approach if they really wanted to.
    Both business models have different approaches with pros and cons. I prefer customization and performance/feature enchantment and development maximization first then complete control of vertical integration and device optimization.
    04-19-2015 06:45 PM

I have never ever said that such general issue(s) is not felt on every phones. Reread my posts. Google needs to fix the lollypop issues. Same for the carriers, I too agree that the carriers drop the ball all the time and is doing so even with the brand new S6. All I'm saying is that there are more or additional issues concerning T-Mobile as compared to the rest.

This is not a diss towards anyone on T-Mobile or T-Mobile in general. Just that there are issues spotted and generally battery life without tweaks can be as much as half of the rest. That my dear friend is all I'm saying.

I am in no way saying that other carriers don't have issues. It's just that battery life out of the box can be as much as 125% better and that is not something to disregard.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Techno-guy likes this.
    04-19-2015 07:13 PM
    I just activated my S6 yesterday (AT&T - Black Sapphire 64gb). I downloaded all my apps to it on Saturday, but didn't log in to anything or otherwise set up the phone. I got it activated around 1:30PM yesterday and then got to setting everything up. My battery seemed to drop relatively fast, but I was also using it a lot. It ended up getting roughly 3.5-4 hours SOT until it hit 2% left. But that was a lot of use. I had wi-fi on the entire time, even when out of wi-fi range. I have location services set to non-GPS but wi-fi and cell signal only.

I noticed before I put it back on the charger that my cell standby percentage was around 26%, which seemed pretty high. I cleared the cache through recovery, turned off the "Enhanced 4G LTE Services" and did a reboot. Then tossed it on my wireless charger for the night. I've now got about an hour of SOT and I'm sitting at 73% battery, which would average between 3.5 hours and 4 hours of SOT - but cell standby is nowhere to be seen on my battery usage.
    04-20-2015 09:59 AM
    IMO Google has to get on grip on android. Google makes android and yes there are bugs to it but they make a good vanilla version for the oem's. It seems things tend to go badly though when some oem's and carriers add there layers on top of the vanilla android. IMO each oem's should have there own section in Google play where they keep there skins as launchers for people that want to use. You want TW you go to Samsung's section in play store and get it, and the same with all the others. Same for the carriers, your apps in your section on the play store. If people want to use them they will find them and install them no problem. I don't see why Google can't get this done in the US. Pleased don't use the apple excuse as even windows OS and BB OS can uninstall all common carrier apps. If the smallest players in the game can make that happen no reason Google can't.

This won't mean that Google won't be open it just cleans up the android code and stops having everyone add their layers on top of layers and causing these inconsistent problems across devices. IMO this is why a device that should have better power management and efficiency shows such wide ranging results because layers have been just stacked on layers of things that should obviously been just an app downloadable from the play store. Best part it makes updates well more faster for everyone.
    Techno-guy likes this.
    04-20-2015 10:38 AM
62 123