Something just isn't adding up with this poor battery life.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
With default settings you have the T-Mobile specific issue. Nobody else has that added issue. You are not seeing Verizon or AT&T users with less than 4 hours of SoT. There is nothing else to say or add to this subject. You are even listing what you did to temporarily fix the issue for you, so clearly you have said T-Mobile ONLY issue.

Thank you and goodnight. /bow

Posted via the Android Central App

What? I just said with it on or off I got the drain.. So It being on by default didn't matter. There is no issue with wifi calling. Please don't keep just saying I'm wrong when you're not reading my posts.

No issue with wifi calling being on or off. Cell standby occurred either way. Cell standby was solved for me by going to a lower band. That solved my cell standby issue.. Which other carriers have.

So once again.. Not a T-Mobile only issue.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
What? I just said with it on or off I got the drain.. So It being on by default didn't matter. There is no issue with wifi calling. Please don't keep just saying I'm wrong when you're not reading my posts.

No issue with wifi calling being on or off. Cell standby occurred either way. Cell standby was solved for me by going to a lower band. That solved my cell standby issue.. Which other carriers have.

What you don't understand is that nobody else has your issue with changing the bands on their wifi. I know I don't. So YES, your issue is specifically tired to what T-Mobile did or didn't do with the software.

Oh, and stop putting words in my mouth.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What you don't understand is that nobody else has your issue with changing the bands on their wifi. I know I don't. So YES, your issue is specifically tired to what T-Mobile did or didn't do with the software.

Oh, and stop putting words in my mouth.

We can't prove if that's the case as no one has found a true fix for cell standby for others. So we're just guessing as to the cause. Some fixes work for some and not others.. Some do other things that others didn't have to do. So to just say it's a carrier software with no proof doesn't make much sense :).

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

I can confirm that the issue is unrelated to WiFi Calling or VoLTE and most people on XDA Developers are coming to the same conclusion at this point. I turned them both off with zero effect.

The only thing that stopped the battery drain (for me) until the Samsung fix was turning off WiFi. When I turned WiFi off, the drain magically disappeared. It seems to have affected all carriers but the impression is that it's a T-Mobile issue because they had the most phones out there for a while due to their early release. That said, I do think it's been disproportionate with AT&T phones having the fewest issues comparatively and T-Mobile having the most. No idea how that could be.

I also have come to the conclusion that the "Cell standby" notation under battery is not reflecting what is truly happening with the phone. I think WiFi is being lumped into that category because if you look at GSam Battery Monitor, WiFi %'s are extremely high when the drain is occuring.

In the end, this is a WiFi issue whereby the S6 is not playing nicely with a number of WiFi routers which perfectly explains the variability in this in that some people have the issue and others don't.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Techno. That's what I've been trying to say.. WiFi calling on or off doesn't seem to make a difference.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
This thread seems to be very US carrier specific. I'd be interested to know if anybody in the UK has similar issues with their S6 phones? We have Vodafone, EE, O2, as the main carriers and I don't see UK users moaning about specific carriers causing battery life issues on their S6. US is not the biggest market for Samsung so a bit of a global balance on this issue wouldn't go amiss.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
This thread seems to be very US carrier specific. I'd be interested to know if anybody in the UK has similar issues with their S6 phones? We have Vodafone, EE, O2, as the main carriers and I don't see UK users moaning about specific carriers causing battery life issues on their S6. US is not the biggest market for Samsung so a bit of a global balance on this issue wouldn't go amiss.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

No you won't have any added issues outside of what is in lollypop. You will not have battery life problems that only one carrier in the US is having. You will have 5 to 6 hours of screen on time with about 16 hours of standby... Give or take depending on your usage.

I know that I'm happy and I'm in the US. I'm sure you will be too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No you won't have any added issues outside of what is in lollypop. You will not have battery life problems that only one carrier in the US is having. You will have 5 to 6 hours of screen on time with about 16 hours of standby... Give or take depending on your usage.

I know that I'm happy and I'm in the US. I'm sure you will be too.

Sorry.. Want to state again all have cell standby not just T-Mobile. Even though you want to claim that :) .

quietkvj

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Your problem may have been solved with a few tweaks that you did on wifi. But before you did so you had the issues.

Me on AT&T never had an issue due to wifi calling as it's not built in to the software that AT&T provides.

I have Tmobile and I never had any issues unless they did something to mine before I received it.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Sorry.. Want to state again all have cell standby not just T-Mobile. Even though you want to claim that :) .

Once again, Almeuit is correct. Warpdrive, you may want to see this thread about Verizon that just popped up yesterday. And, I've seen plenty of posts from Sprint and AT&T users as well.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...rizon-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge.html#post4370444

As for the international issues, I agree that this seems to be predominately U.S. carrier specific other than the general Lollipop battery issues (but I do recall one in the UK with the battery drain). The S6 has fantastic battery life potential, as we've seen on this Forum, but needs updates to make everyone's phone operate the same.

My cell standby got fixed with the Samsung update but it seems that didn't work for everyone. Maybe the Google Play Services update about to hit will help others. The reality is that the U.S. carriers like to monkey around with the software which creates another point of failure in these devices. It's really a shame.

It's hard enough managing a 2 company relationship on these complicated devices (Google - Samsung) but when you throw a third into the mix (the carrier), you're just asking for trouble as well as substantial delays in fixing things. It's a terrible system but unless Google and/or Samsung take charge and say to the carriers they can no longer have a say in the system software (like Apple does), the dysfunction will never get fixed.

Symbolic of this dysfunctional system is the fact that only 2% of Android phones even have Lollipop on them more than 6 months after launch on Nov. 12th. In the Apple world, 6 months after launch nearly 90% of the phones would have the latest release, with most of that coming in the first few weeks.

Last edited:

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Once again, Almeuit is correct. Warpdrive, you may want to see this thread about Verizon that just popped up yesterday. And, I've seen plenty of posts from Sprint and AT&T users as well.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...rizon-samsung-galaxy-s6-edge.html#post4370444

As for the international issues, I agree that this seems to be predominately U.S. carrier specific other than the general Lollipop battery issues (but I do recall one in the UK with the battery drain). The S6 has fantastic battery life potential, as we've seen on this Forum, but needs updates to make everyone's phone operate the same. The U.S. carriers like to monkey around with the software which creates another point of failure in these devices. It's really a shame.

It's hard enough managing a 2 company relationship on these complicated devices (Google - Samsung) but when you throw a third into the mix (the carrier), you're just asking for trouble as well as substantial delays in fixing things. It's a terrible system but unless Google and/or Samsung take charge and say to the carriers they can no longer have a say in the system software (like Apple does), the dysfunction will never get fixed.

Symbolic of this dysfunctional system is the fact that only 2% of Android phones even have Lollipop on them more than 6 months after launch on Nov. 12th. In the Apple world, 6 months after launch nearly 90% of the phones would have the latest release, with most of that coming in the first few weeks.

There's profit to be made on all sides when carriers get involved. They get to add their bloat and get people to use their services. Samsung gets a device provisioned to work on that network. It's all about money at this point. Until sales really suffer, this won't change.

With that said, it still should change. The overall experience would improve greatly if updates came straight from Samsung after Google fixes their end. These devices need 5.1 or 5.1.1 as soon as possible to fix these issues some people are having.

Oh, and to end this debate; these bugs are present on all carriers. It may not seem as widely spread on some, though. It's a Lollipop issue. The more people accept that, the easier this will be.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Most definitely. I get up to 5% an hour drain on 5ghz wifi. 2.4 ghz brings it down to 2 to 3 %.

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, just thought I'd chime in and add that I don't think it's purely a Lollipop versus Kit Kat issue. I have a non-Samsung phone, but I read the forums because I like them and we have some in the family. Anyway, my phone was updated to Lollipop a couple weeks ago, and battery life sucked for the first 48 hours, and has steadily improved since then. I have hundreds of screen shots for runtime, so it was easy to make comparisons. Under Lollipop, battery life in the ultra saver mode got slightly worse, but life in the normal powersave mode got hugely better. It seems it took a while for Lollipop to sort out what services were needed and which were not, and now I don't even bother with the ultra saver mode when trying to stretch things out for a few days.

Now keep in mind when someone says they get two days on a charge, that they are not talking about two full days of use. They sleep and the phone just sits there for hours, and when listening to music the screen is not even on. SOT is hugely different from idle time, and how much power any device draws depends on how CPU-intensive the use is, how many radios are on, screen brightness, what location based services are doing, etc. Music streaming uses almost nothing under lollipop, web usage is a bit worse (but not much). The big hit is gaming, and it's always been that way under both versions of Android. I can go for hours with barely a drop, then I get into a game and the battery graph looks like the grand canyon! Anyway, the things I've done to improve things are simple, and just involve leaving extra radios off if I'm not going to be using them. No point in having Google search for wireless signals all the time when driving, or bluetooth on when you left your headset at home. My son has the Galaxy Mega (which could probably jump-start a car), and he complains about charging because he leaves everything on all the time. For screen brightness, I use the auto mode, but with one setting for indoors at night, and one for daytime. That's probably taking down extra battery right there, but hey; if I'm in direct sun wearing sunglasses I need to SEE!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

As for the international issues, I agree that this seems to be predominately U.S. carrier specific other than the general Lollipop battery issues (but I do recall one in the UK with the battery drain). The S6 has fantastic battery life potential, as we've seen on this Forum, but needs updates to make everyone's phone operate the same.

My cell standby got fixed with the Samsung update but it seems that didn't work for everyone. Maybe the Google Play Services update about to hit will help others. The reality is that the U.S. carriers like to monkey around with the software which creates another point of failure in these devices. It's really a shame.

Let's put the dysfunction into perspective. Apple strictly controls it ecosystem and is the only makers of their devices. Therefore, more control. You have to update iOS to keep this device integration and optimization. No one can flash a ROM. Look at KitKat . There are probably more device on this OS than say ginger bread or ice cream sandwich. Over time, more device with adopt Lollipop,except those that are EOL. Realize that we have the updated version of 5.0 whereas 5.1 is probably coming to our devices later this year probably before fall. Just a guess there.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Let's put the dysfunction into perspective. Apple strictly controls it ecosystem and is the only makers of their devices. Therefore, more control. You have to update iOS to keep this device integration and optimization. No one can flash a ROM. Look at KitKat . There are probably more device on this OS than say ginger bread or ice cream sandwich. Over time, more device with adopt Lollipop,except those that are EOL. Realize that we have the updated version of 5.0 whereas 5.1 is probably coming to our devices later this year probably before fall. Just a guess there.

Fair points, no doubt...but if Google would just take charge and demand that only Google will control OS stuff (including updates) and not let anybody monkey around the OS it would put an end to this mess. If carriers or manufacturers want to add things to the phone (like TouchWiz or carrier functions), then those add-on's need to be Google Play store updates so they don't get in the way of core OS things.

That would allow Google to roll out OS updates to all Android users at once, like Apple does. And when Samsung wanted to update TouchWiz or the carrier wanted to update a function exclusive to them, they could do it on their own schedule through the Google Play Store. Seems like such an easy way to handle something that Google has lost control over.

Agreed, Apple has a far easier time being in charge of everything, but Google could take this separation approach if they really wanted to.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Fair points, no doubt...but if Google would just take charge and demand that only Google will control OS stuff (including updates) and not let anybody monkey around the OS it would put an end to this mess. If carriers or manufacturers want to add things to the phone (like TouchWiz or carrier functions), then those add-on's need to be Google Play store updates so they don't get in the way of core OS things.

That would allow Google to roll out OS updates to all Android users at once, like Apple does. And when Samsung wanted to update TouchWiz or the carrier wanted to update a function exclusive to them, they could do it on their own schedule through the Google Play Store. Seems like such an easy way to handle something that Google has lost control over.

Agreed, Apple has a far easier time being in charge of everything, but Google could take this separation approach if they really wanted to.

Both business models have different approaches with pros and cons. I prefer customization and performance/feature enchantment and development maximization first then complete control of vertical integration and device optimization.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I have never ever said that such general issue(s) is not felt on every phones. Reread my posts. Google needs to fix the lollypop issues. Same for the carriers, I too agree that the carriers drop the ball all the time and is doing so even with the brand new S6. All I'm saying is that there are more or additional issues concerning T-Mobile as compared to the rest.

This is not a diss towards anyone on T-Mobile or T-Mobile in general. Just that there are issues spotted and generally battery life without tweaks can be as much as half of the rest. That my dear friend is all I'm saying.

I am in no way saying that other carriers don't have issues. It's just that battery life out of the box can be as much as 125% better and that is not something to disregard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome