S6 - Are there any requirements for quick charging?

Punkrulz

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S6 for a few days now. I recall that when I would connect my charger (supplied with the phone), it would say Fast Charging in the notification center. This was fine for a few days. As of yesterday, I attempted to charge my phone (about 70%) prior to going out for the night. After about an hour, it had gone up maybe 10%. I began wondering if there were certain conditions that had to be met to use fast charging, including a specific battery percentage.

I let my phone drain over night... impressively it didn't drain much while not being used. I eventually got the phone down to 38%, threw it on charge for another hour and a half, and noted the phone was only 54%. I began searching around but wasn't getting much information in lieu of specifics or similar issues. I did see some users complaining that the supplied USB cable won't do fast charging, but I suspect this is an extreme minority.

I did load up ampere, bring out the laptop to come to the forums, and brought my old charger and new charger to a different part of the apartment. When connecting the supplied charger + cable in the different socket, it came up as charging, then fast charging...

Why would it just suddenly work again now, not work for the past two days, and work at other times? I've already restarted the phone yesterday to see if this was an issue. I also read that fast charging only works when the screen is off... so I made sure that it was off while charging, but it didn't fast charge at all.

Any similar experiences or things I should be aware of regarding fast charging?

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
It shouldn't matter wether your screen is on or off it should still fast charge. It will just fast charge a little bit faster with the screen off.
And from my experience my phone will fast charge every time I plug the fast charger into my phone no matter what the circumstances.
Sounds like your actual charger is messing up. Mine works every time all the time no matter what. But I've only had my phone for 4 days so.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
It shouldn't matter wether your screen is on or off it should still fast charge. It will just fast charge a little bit faster with the screen off.
And from my experience my phone will fast charge every time I plug the fast charger into my phone no matter what the circumstances.
Sounds like your actual charger is messing up. Mine works every time all the time no matter what. But I've only had my phone for 4 days so.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Manual - you know that big thing you read with information about the phone - clearly states fast change only works when the screen is off.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Well then my phone is special because my charger is plugged while I'm typing this and when I pull down notification bar it says fast charger connected and charging 1 hour 10 minted to full charge and my phone currently has 8 percent battery so that seams like fast charging to me.

It definatly charges way faster than any phone I've ever had and that with me using it at the same time.
I'm sure it will charged faster with screen off but it's working with screen on.
Maybe the manual says that so they can gurantee you get the 4 hours of use after 10 minute charge as they advertized.

racefan25

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
had same problem with my wall charger. Plugged it in fir first time yesterday and from 38% it said 4 hours 10 min till full. What the heck quick charger bull crap placed it on wireless charger and 1 hour 30 min till full Really what the heck back to wall charger 4 hours plus so I unpluged wall charger and then reversed how it was in plugged in wall socket and bam 1 hour till full from 38% so maybe it is a polairity issue.

Punkrulz

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I like you're thinking but the plug never changed from when it worked until it didn't. It stayed connected to the power strip by my bed.