Lets clear things: How much screen on time are you getting on a charge?

(multi-selection) your average screen on time on a charge? your standby battery loss (if you know)

• Total voters

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Lol, that's why I love you Phil. No you are not using your phone wrong. But could it be that on T-Mobile and only T-Mobile the results will be so drastically different from ALL the others around the world?
I'm convinced that with results you are seeing in just this thread alone shows that if you are not using a T-Mobile device then your results can be as much as 100% better than on T-Mobile when it comes to battery life. This is not your fault or problem. But please don't lump all S6 devices when it comes to battery life with a T-Mobile device. It's not like we are talking about a 10 or 20 percent difference in battery life here. We are talking about a 100% increase in battery life as compared to reports from Andrew.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yep. It's entirely possible to see entirely different results on a phone on a different carrier ... because it's a different phone ... on a different carrier. With way different code. (And I'll argue that radio trumps screen-on time any day of the week.)

That's why we're not done with the G6. Not by a long shot. That's why we're using it on other carriers. And that's why we'll have more podcasts.

I dunno what you're really trying to get at here. But keep on keepin' on.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm on AT&T
My screentime is always between 3-5 hours, usually 4 mainly
My standby time can last over a day without charge...ever since that Samsung Push update, I do not lose any battery when my phone is sleeping

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yep. It's entirely possible to see entirely different results on a phone on a different carrier ... because it's a different phone ... on a different carrier. With way different code. (And I'll argue that radio trumps screen-on time any day of the week.)

That's why we're not done with the G6. Not by a long shot. That's why we're using it on other carriers. And that's why we'll have more podcasts.

I dunno what you're really trying to get at here. But keep on keepin' on.

As always I couldn't agree more with you Phil.

But what I'm getting at is what countless others are saying to you as well here in this and other threads....

1) There is no battery issue with the S6.
(doesn't mean there are no exceptions, but generally unless you are on T-Mobile, don't sweat it.)

(bigger issue mostly said by others but I agree fully is)
If you are going to make statements that day is users will need to charge the phone by midday then you are confusing your readership by thinking they will have the same battery life as you and Andrew.
Such misleading statements made by staff in the past have erupted the forums in the past, and members and readership are right now confused by you statements that have allowed doubt in some people's minds as to what the real battery life is like on this phone.

If Andrew and you stated that for you guys this phone is what it is and has poor battery life for you, it's one thing. But when Andrew says that the phone only has good battery life is to let it sit on My desk (not his, but the readership's desk) and not do anything, it's entirely misleading and confusing.

The statements even unintentionally and with the best of intent has had a habit of inflating issues that for the most part don't even exist both in the past and currently now in the present. Again, generally speaking, there is no battery life issues with the S6. For most, the user base in just your forum alone is telling you the life of their batterys are even better than the 2015 phones.... As long as they don't have a lemon or are on T-Mobile that is.

Please, so misleading your public fan base. Please be more aware that while you and Andrew may have poor results, but they are not the norm, they are the exception to the rule.

Last edited:

alkezi

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
The thing is, every reviewer on this planet says that the s6 battery life is so so or poor

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
There is so much nonsensical rambling in this thread with members trying to justify their above average battery results as the norm when hard evidence from other members (including the AC team) point to the opposite. You really have no basis to argue. It is what it is. Nobody is lying or making this stuff up. Bugs are irrelevant - battery life stands in spite of bugs. These essay posts with circular arguments and no basis are silly. Stop getting so emotional about a device. The AC team will update their battery findings if they improve, but as it stands a very high percentage have a very real problem with battery (hovering around 3 hours SOT is unacceptable). Don't blame the user. They would treat any other phone off the shelf in exactly the same way, so clearly the Samsung is struggling compared to it's competition. You're not gonna solve the world's battery problems with a few graphs and ticks and an infinitesimal sample of devices.

If you're argument is that the S6 is capable of potentially more battery, then so what. That applies to every device on the market. Until this materialises, again, it's irrelevant. I'm glad Andrew and co pointed out the battery issue (many other sites have done the same). They're not here to stroke egos and most of their readers don't visit forums.

Many posters are just defending their purchase. It's an S6 forum so the bias tends to be strong.

Last edited:

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
There is so much nonsensical rambling in this thread with members trying to justify their above average battery results as the norm when hard evidence from other members (including the AC team) point to the opposite. You really have no basis to argue. It is what it is. Nobody is lying or making this stuff up. Bugs are irrelevant - battery life stands in spite of bugs. These essay posts with circular arguments and no basis are silly. Stop getting so emotional about a device. The AC team will update their battery findings if they improve, but as it stands a very high percentage have a very real problem with battery (hovering around 3 hours SOT is unacceptable). Don't blame the user. They would treat any other phone off the shelf in exactly the same way, so clearly the Samsung is struggling compared to it's competition. You're not gonna solve the world's battery problems with a few graphs and ticks and an infinitesimal sample of devices.

If you're argument is that the S6 is capable of potentially more battery, then so what. That applies to every device on the market. Until this materialises, again, it's irrelevant. I'm glad Andrew and co pointed out the battery issue (many other sites have done the same). They're not here to stroke egos and most of their readers don't visit forums.

Many posters are just defending their purchase. It's an S6 forum so the bias tends to be strong.

"Bugs are irrelevant---battery life stands in spite of bugs". This couldn't be more wrong. The difference in battery life between users who have and do not have these bugs is pretty significant. There are people who are reporting better battery life even after that Push update. I didn't buy an "S6 Edge+" with a larger battery. I have the same phone as everyone else. The ceiling for battery life on this device is measured by those of us that aren't seeing high cell standby or Google Services and that ceiling is fairly high.

Is it a Note 4 or iPhone 6+? No. Is it better than what those are experiencing that are complaining about battery life? By quite a bit. It's absolutely hilarious how many of you want to fight about this. These bugs are happening on Lollipop devices. It's real. The subpar battery life some of you are getting is real. Seeing those of us without those issues with far better battery life should give comfort that once this is addressed that the battery life will be acceptable.

People like you would rather say I'm "defending my purchase". I'm defending facts. Unaffected by these Lollipop issues, the battery life is solid on this phone.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
"Bugs are irrelevant---battery life stands in spite of bugs". This couldn't be more wrong. The difference in battery life between users who have and do not have these bugs is pretty significant. There are people who are reporting better battery life even after that Push update. I didn't buy an "S6 Edge+" with a larger battery. I have the same phone as everyone else. The ceiling for battery life on this device is measured by those of us that aren't seeing high cell standby or Google Services and that ceiling is fairly high.

Is it a Note 4 or iPhone 6+? No. Is it better than what those are experiencing that are complaining about battery life? By quite a bit. It's absolutely hilarious how many of you want to fight about this. These bugs are happening on Lollipop devices. It's real. The subpar battery life some of you are getting is real. Seeing those of us without those issues with far better battery life should give comfort that once this is addressed that the battery life will be acceptable.

People like you would rather say I'm "defending my purchase". I'm defending facts. Unaffected by these Lollipop issues, the battery life is solid on this phone.

The battery life is rated as the device stands, not based on it's potential in future. If it's poor due to bugs then tough. AC write articles and produce podcasts to inform people. You are expecting them to assess the S6 based on it's potential battery? For consumers, potential battery is irrelevant. Nobody cares who or what is causing the battery drain, just how it performs right now out of the box. This is a point you guys fail to understand.
Incidentally, PocketNow performed many of the so-called fixes and still rated it poorly at 3 hours SOT. They called it a wallhugger device.

Even if you blame lollipop (this is not known for certain), Samsung deemed it fit enough to put on their star product and roll out to the masses. THIS IS a finished product! The excuses need to stop.

You can choose to be in denial but people are returning this phone due to poor battery life - look at other threads. Facts are facts.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The battery life is rated as the device stands, not based on it's potential in future. If it's poor due to bugs then tough. AC write articles and produce podcasts to inform people. You are expecting them to assess the S6 based on it's potential battery? For consumers, potential battery is irrelevant. Nobody cares who or what is causing the battery drain, just how it performs right now out of the box. This is a point you guys fail to understand.
Incidentally, PocketNow performed many of the so-called fixes and still rated it poorly at 3 hours SOT. They called it a wallhugger device.

Even if you blame lollipop (this is not known for certain), Samsung deemed it fit enough to put on their star product and roll out to the masses. THIS IS a finished product! The excuses need to stop.

You can choose to be in denial but people are returning this phone due to poor battery life - look at other threads. Facts are facts.

So M9 owners should have not expected an update to address the camera and improve it? That camera wasn't getting any better, huh? It's been 10 days since this phone has been released officially. They're working on getting 5.1 out to address these issues. They updated Push to improve battery life and some people are seeing better battery as a result of that. Pretending like this is a finished product and everyone is seeing this type of battery life because you see it on forums is about as shortsighted as your bugs comment.

Is there a problem? Of course. It's also present on some S5 devices, some G3 devices, some Nexus devices (including my own Nexus 6). Are some people returning their devices because of if? Yes. Are some of us seeing solid battery life when there's no issues? Yes. Either you're going to be patient if you have these issues or you aren't. Simple as that.

You want to call it terrible now, 10 days in, and that be the end of it. It's not the end of it. This phone is capable of far better battery life and not everyone is seeing these issues. If there's someone in denial, it's you. I acknowledge there's an issue, but know it can be fixed and those fixes make the battery life more than acceptable for a battery this size. How do I know this? This isn't my first phone release.

Byron Hinson1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Well here is my basic usage since getting up at 6 am. Seems poor to me but I have lots of email. Bluetooth on etc. Dunno what others tend to get from basic use. This is on an S6

Attachments

• 409.jpg
    409.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 408.jpg
    408.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 93

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Well here is my basic usage since getting up at 6 am. Seems poor to me but I have lots of email. Bluetooth on etc. Dunno what others tend to get from basic use. This is on an S6

Show us your screen shots when your down to 20% battery. It will better help us. And what carrier are you on?

Ken Allen3

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
My last cycle has been pretty good. I'm on the latest Google Play services, disabled "Ok Google listening feature", no Google now etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-20-15-44-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-20-15-44-23.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Screenshot_2015-04-20-15-44-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-20-15-44-19.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 145

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
My last cycle has been pretty good. I'm on the latest Google Play services, disabled "Ok Google listening feature", no Google now etc.

Those are some key google features you've disabled. You have some excellent stats but most of us would want these features on

Byron Hinson1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
That's the issue I find. I don't want to disable half the features I look to get better than average battery life from the phone.

RN50

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I get around 5-6 hours SOT with ease on my edge however this is not with me playing games, this is with me browsing, facebook, ready newspaper articles. When i play games the Battery goes alot quicker.

Is that the same with you guys who also get 5+ SOT or is that with you playing games non stop?

I was playing subway Surfers yesterday for an hour and half and when i went to sleep i had 4 Hours SOT with around 20% Battery left.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
That's the issue I find. I don't want to disable half the features I look to get better than average battery life from the phone.

I have both the "OK Google" hotword detection ans Google Now active and get comparable results. Neither of those are going to make a huge difference in battery results.

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
While I don't think my battery time has been terrible, it seems that many folks are doing much better. I have followed a lot of reccomendations in teh various threads here but still think I can do better somehow...just not sure what else to do:

Screenshot_2015-04-20-18-56-27.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-20-18-56-31.jpgScreenshot_2015-04-20-18-56-23.jpg

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
While I don't think my battery time has been terrible, it seems that many folks are doing much better. I have followed a lot of reccomendations in teh various threads here but still think I can do better somehow...just not sure what else to do:

View attachment 172871View attachment 172872View attachment 172873

I generally repeat this process on every Android device I get and it seems to do the trick.

1. Disable WiFi scanning and any other WiFi network switch options.
2. Use battery saver (WiFi and Mobile Networks on the AT&T variant of the S6) for location settings.
3. Use auto brightness.
4. Disable the syncing of Google apps I don't use as they're always set to sync on default.

That's it. I don't do anything else and I've had good battery life on this device since I got it. I'm not turning off all the services I'd use, just the ones I don't. Battery saver is on because it still detects my location, but doesn't constantly use GPS when I'm not using Google Maps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084