Lets clear things: How much screen on time are you getting on a charge?

(multi-selection) your average screen on time on a charge? your standby battery loss (if you know)

• Total voters

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
We have many battery threads now, I think its helpful for people to get a general idea of its "average SOT" before making further assessments and establishing expectations.

sorry for the long list, please make 2 selections (if possible)

1. your network and SOT
2. your standby performance

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Too many threads now and you just added another one.

Posted via the Android Central App

the current discussion is wrongly headed. There are people complaining about bad battery with 4-5hr sot, there are people beinf happy with 3 hr sot. There are people suggesting 7hr sot.

If people don't even know what are the average expectation, there is no way to tell him or her if the phone is normal or not, or if there is a problem to be worried about at all..

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
the current discussion is wrongly headed. There are people complaining about bad battery with 4-5hr sot, there are people beinf happy with 3 hr sot. There are people suggesting 7hr sot.

If people don't even know what are the average expectation, there is no way to tell him or her if the phone is normal or not, or if there is a problem to be worried about at all..

We really need a mod to step in and clean up all of these battery threads....

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Lost 9% with an hour on screen so far this morning. I'll hit 3 hours before I drop to 50% later this afternoon. This battery is just so much better than people think.

AT&T S6 Edge, by the way.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

Attachments

• 212.jpg
    212.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 698
  • 213.jpg
    213.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 696

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
We really need a mod to step in and clean up all of these battery threads....

This whole forum is all over the place. I don't get it. They're usually on top of things. There should be 1 sticky for battery life. Most of these new posters see the how much people talk about it so their post another thread just to get some attention. I know someone is gonna say "you don't have to be here"...... That gets old. I have been on this forum for years and I love it. Every year a new phone is out this happens. This should be a place for someone new to Android to come for some knowledge. Not for every single person with a keyboard to talk about battery life.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

The real controversial issue is that there is no issue with battery life.

I don't care what Andrew said in the podcast, he is dead wrong. While there are always going to be phones that just don't work for us no matter what, and some well respected members like my friend hero who just can't do well with his S6 in his country, or some others who are on T-Mobile. There really isn't a real battery issue.

Sure lollypop has some bugs that drain battery life, but nothing like we see on broken or phones like we watched with T-Mobile. If your phone is not a lemon and it has great firmware for your radios you should have 5 to 6 hours of SoT regardless that you may find cell standby listed in the battery setting. Some depending on use will get more SoT and total standby. Some will get less.

I've tested my phone in two ways. One way with everything turned on, and another with everything on but a few tweaks to add some battery life (such as wifi on but always scanning off). I get an extra hour of SoT and 2 extra hours of standby with the tweaks. Both tests are as follows....

3 hours of gaming (DH5, hearthstone, PBA bowling)
At least 1 hour of YouTube
1 hour of web browsing
Some light texts, email, bla, bla
Everything syncing but social media. Located services turned on with phone tracking services and geotaging on photos and videos.

Tests are stopped and screen shot as close to 20% remaining battery or completed fully and then pics are recorded no matter what the remainder is of battery. Both tests completed before the 20 percentile.

Auto brightness is too dim for me indoors so I set it to 35% or if gaming or watching videos it's at 50% brightness. Outdoors it is always on auto.

There is no way that with my results that anyone can say that with over 5 hours of screen on time and 16 hours of standby with everything turned on is poor battery life on AT&T. Yet Andrew says on the podcast that the S6 is so bad with battery life "that the only way you are going to get good battery life is with your S6 on your desk doing nothing."

You can't tell me that he doesn't know that others not on T-Mobile are doing battery wise. You can't tell me that Andrew hasn't seen my screen shots that are listed in almost every battery thread, sometimes multiple times. You can't tell me that Phil is not once again trying to start controversy against Samsung like the S4 vs m7 just two years ago. Nobody could even keep a straight face and was laughing every time they were talking about the battery.

There will always be issues with all new releases. But bugs will be fixed. Issues will be solved. The S6 is far from perfect.
There will always be exceptions and some no matter what will have awfully bad battery life. But truly, there is no battery issue globally.

As for trying to understand what is normal for battery life, everyones battery life will be different but it should last you approximately the same or better battery life compared to the S4 or m7 with slightly better SoT or standby. If such phones were used by you and you were fine with the battery life then you'll be happier with the S6 even with the lollypop issues.

I'll repost the screen shots once again here if requested. I normally don't care what others think when it comes to what phone I should buy. I buy what is best for me as I tell others to do and not what is popular or hip at the moment. I'm in no way defending my purchase. I couldn't care less if people like our hate the phone. But when all you are seeing is battery threads questioning what is really going on it takes a toll when all the proof is out there and yet people are still worried? There is no battery issue with the S6 unless you have a lemon, have bad firmware for your county or carrier, or are on T-Mobile and refuse to change a setting or what seems like changing what wifi band you use.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
The real controversial issue is that there is no issue with battery life.

I don't care what Andrew said in the podcast, he is dead wrong. While there are always going to be phones that just don't work for us no matter what, and some well respected members like my friend hero who just can't do well with his S6 in his country, or some others who are on T-Mobile. There really isn't a real battery issue.

Sure lollypop has some bugs that drain battery life, but nothing like we see on broken or phones like we watched with T-Mobile. If your phone is not a lemon and it has great firmware for your radios you should have 5 to 6 hours of SoT regardless that you may find cell standby listed in the battery setting. Some depending on use will get more SoT and total standby. Some will get less.

I've tested my phone in two ways. One way with everything turned on, and another with everything on but a few tweaks to add some battery life (such as wifi on but always scanning off). I get an extra hour of SoT and 2 extra hours of standby with the tweaks. Both tests are as follows....

3 hours of gaming (DH5, hearthstone, PBA bowling)
At least 1 hour of YouTube
1 hour of web browsing
Some light texts, email, bla, bla
Everything syncing but social media. Located services turned on with phone tracking services and geotaging on photos and videos.

Tests are stopped and screen shot as close to 20% remaining battery or completed fully and then pics are recorded no matter what the remainder is of battery. Both tests completed before the 20 percentile.

Auto brightness is too dim for me indoors so I set it to 35% or if gaming or watching videos it's at 50% brightness. Outdoors it is always on auto.

There is no way that with my results that anyone can say that with over 5 hours of screen on time and 16 hours of standby with everything turned on is poor battery life on AT&T. Yet Andrew says on the podcast that the S6 is so bad with battery life "that the only way you are going to get good battery life is with your S6 on your desk doing nothing."

You can't tell me that he doesn't know that others not on T-Mobile are doing battery wise. You can't tell me that Andrew hasn't seen my screen shots that are listed in almost every battery thread, sometimes multiple times. You can't tell me that Phil is not once again trying to start controversy against Samsung like the S4 vs m7 just two years ago. Nobody could even keep a straight face and was laughing every time they were talking about the battery.

There will always be issues with all new releases. But bugs will be fixed. Issues will be solved. The S6 is far from perfect.
There will always be exceptions and some no matter what will have awfully bad battery life. But truly, there is no battery issue globally.

As for trying to understand what is normal for battery life, everyones battery life will be different but it should last you approximately the same or better battery life compared to the S4 or m7 with slightly better SoT or standby. If such phones were used by you and you were fine with the battery life then you'll be happier with the S6 even with the lollypop issues.

I'll repost the screen shots once again here if requested. I normally don't care what others think when it comes to what phone I should buy. I buy what is best for me as I tell others to do and not what is popular or hip at the moment. I'm in no way defending my purchase. I couldn't care less if people like our hate the phone. But when all you are seeing is battery threads questioning what is really going on it takes a toll when all the proof is out there and yet people are still worried? There is no battery issue with the S6 unless you have a lemon, have bad firmware for your county or carrier, or are on T-Mobile and refuse to change a setting or what seems like changing what wifi band you use.

Very well put. I don't see how people don't understand they may have a "lemon". They would rather waste time posting here than return the device. I just don't get it. Thanks again

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I don't get it. This device has the best battery life of any phone I've had since my blackberry curve back about 7-8 years ago.

I'm on vzw and have been getting a good 6 hrs+ of SOT.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
All I want acknowledged, regardless of whether you're getting hit with the Lollipop cell standby/Google services bugs or not, is that the S6 battery life is pretty solid when you grade an unaffected device. Because it is. It's been proven with numerous screenshots, benchmarks from reputable sites like Anandtech, and anecdotal reviews from other reputable sites.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Can someone help me understand the cell stand by a little better.
When I click on cell stanby wich is almost always number 1 or 2 on my battery list is shows time on 14h 6 minutes wich is total time so far . Time without signal is 30% wich the signal at my house sucks I know. And total connection time is 5h and 20 minutes . I haven't used the phone to make call once in that total time. So my question is what is total connection time and why is it so high. Is it because my time without signal is 30% . I'm on verizon and even know my cell stanby is always high on my battery list my phone still has great Battery life. Just trying to understand how the phone works a litter better thanks.

My battery life with this phone has been as good as my s5 and a lttle more even.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
My biggest problem with everyone complaining about battery is that it is subjective. Everyone is going to have their own experience. Just because you have good/bad battery life doesn't mean that is the case for someone else. There are too many variables from the lollipop bug to poor signal strength that can affect battery life. Bottom line for me is that I can always find a way to charge my phone if need be. The s6 is a great device, and will only get better with future updates from Samsung and Google. Enjoy the phone for what it is, a great piece of tech.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
My biggest problem with everyone complaining about battery is that it is subjective. Everyone is going to have their own experience. Just because you have good/bad battery life doesn't mean that is the case for someone else. There are too many variables from the lollipop bug to poor signal strength that can affect battery life. Bottom line for me is that I can always find a way to charge my phone if need be. The s6 is a great device, and will only get better with future updates from Samsung and Google. Enjoy the phone for what it is, a great piece of tech.

Agree, battery is very subjective. I think what the OP is looking for is not a screen shot of one particular charge and those results but maybe something like what is at the bottom of GSAM. This would give an folks in the forums an extended look at battery, not just a particular instance of tweaking settings to maximize life over one day.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Agree, battery is very subjective. I think what the OP is looking for is not a screen shot of one particular charge and those results but maybe something like what is at the bottom of GSAM. This would give an folks in the forums an extended look at battery, not just a particular instance of tweaking settings to maximize life over one day.
Personally, without tweaking anything aside from volte, I'm getting about 3-4 hours of SoT. Like I said, this is fine for me cause I can charge pretty much whenever, and don't have a problem carrying around a battery pack with me. Is it the best battery out there? Certainly not, but it also isn't as bad as everyone seems to be making it out to be.

basurtoisaac

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I don't get it. This device has the best battery life of any phone I've had since my blackberry curve back about 7-8 years ago.

I'm on vzw and have been getting a good 6 hrs+ of SOT.

This isn't me trolling or being rude, but my iPhone 6 gets a lot better battery than the s6 I had. It's especially great on standby.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I really don't get how there can be such a huge swing between users. Here is my VZ so far today. Everyday since the update I have been getting 5-6 hours sot. The only thing that I have turned off is WiFi scanning. Everything else is right out of the box. I do FDR after all system updates. I have no lag, it's as smooth as my iPhone 6. For the record, I didn't want a Samsung but in my opinion they nailed this one.

Attachments

• 239.jpg
    239.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 514
  • 238.jpg
    238.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 512

quietkvj

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I checked Tmobile 3-5 hours with less than 10% drain overnight. However, my vote didn't register. The results show 1 vote for less than 3 hours and one vote for more 5 hours. Where did my vote go?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith