Location set by GPS updated every 10 minutes...is this normal?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a weather app checking for your current position, or some other app looking for your location?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It's location reporting by Google. Nothing you can do about it unless you shut it off. It's in your location settings and if you go to shut it off, it will explain what it does and why it needs it.

Posted via the Android Central App

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It's location reporting by Google. Nothing you can do about it unless you shut it off. It's in your location settings and if you go to shut it off, it will explain what it does and why it needs it.
On my S6 (and also on my previous HTC One M7), I turned off Google Location Reporting to save on battery power. This was a suggestion I read online in a past forum posting. I also think this is where your GPS issue is coming from.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
On my S6 (and also on my previous HTC One M7), I turned off Google Location Reporting to save on battery power. This was a suggestion I read online in a past forum posting. I also think this is where your GPS issue is coming from.
I turned it off today and my battery has been much better. I normally keep it on but I just couldn't deal with the battery life I was getting. Maybe once I get the new play services update I'll try enabling it again.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Location services is a killer for battery life. Only use it if you must. I feel that bug or no bug, Google is being way too aggressive with pinging people's phones. But location services is vital for phone tracking and will help locate a lost or stolen phone much easier.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Location services is a killer for battery life. Only use it if you must. I feel that bug or no bug, Google is being way too aggressive with pinging people's phones. But location services is vital for phone tracking and will help locate a lost or stolen phone much easier.

Is that only GPS? What if you have it set to power saving (wireless networks/wifi)? Will it still locate a missing phone?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Is that only GPS? What if you have it set to power saving (wireless networks/wifi)? Will it still locate a missing phone?

I have the GPS setting turned off on my S6 and when I type in "find my phone" in my desktop chrome browser my phone comes up with the right location and time. Give that a try and see what happens for you.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have the GPS setting turned off on my S6 and when I type in "find my phone" in my desktop chrome browser my phone comes up with the right location and time. Give that a try and see what happens for you.

How exact is it? Can Google maps find your exact spot when you leave? I suspect that the combination of network and WiFi is sufficient but once you leave the WiFi connection it gets a bit less accurate. I could be wrong though.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
How exact is it? Can Google maps find your exact spot when you leave? I suspect that the combination of network and WiFi is sufficient but once you leave the WiFi connection it gets a bit less accurate. I could be wrong though.

I've got WiFi + Cell Network selected for the location setting and it found my phone.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

How well does that work when the phone is outside by the bus stop hidden in a bush with no wifi nearby?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85