Locked out phone - back in - Android Device Manager or Samsung Find My Phone?

j0urn3y

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Howdy. I've had my S6 since launch and all has been well until a very strange problem today.

Out of the blue ths GS6 would not recognize my fingerprint to unlock the phone. I had forgotten my Backup Password (shame on me) but had the option to login via Google. That didn't work either - I was told "invalid account or password."

I went to Android Device Manager because I read you can reset the lock from there. Resetting the lock wasn't successful because it said there already was a lock code setup. Argh.

Next I logged into my Samsung account and used the Find My Phone feature. It would not reset the lock code either - just gave the error "Failed."

My last try was to actually Lock the device from the Samsung web page. It prompts you for a PIN code which I entered into the site. Now my S6 said it was locked and to enter the PIN code. I entered the code and successfully got into my phone.

Everything is working normally again. Has anyone else encountered this?

Lastly, any thoughts if I should run Google's Android Device Manager, Samsung's or both? Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My last try was to actually Lock the device from the Samsung web page. It prompts you for a PIN code which I entered into the site. Now my S6 said it was locked and to enter the PIN code. I entered the code and successfully got into my phone.
Very good to know in case someone else finds themselves in the same situation. Thanks.

j0urn3y

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
After fiddling with settings I discovered a pre-defined (random) password located in Google Settings > Security.

Perhaps this is what "Login with Google ID" was expecting rather than my Google user password.

I haven't tried it - just making a note here.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Lastly, any thoughts if I should run Google's Android Device Manager, Samsung's or both? Thanks.

Use ADM. I`m not 100% but pretty sure that all of the Asian manufacturers (Samsung, LG, Sony, HTC etc) use servers located in China for their versions of `find my phone`` because they cost a LOT less to lease than other local options. Whether substantiated or not, I`ve heard enough shenanigans about the Chinese gov`t meddling with the internet that I avoid having anything to do with it where I can.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Use ADM. I`m not 100% but pretty sure that all of the Asian manufacturers (Samsung, LG, Sony, HTC etc) use servers located in China for their versions of `find my phone`` because they cost a LOT less to lease than other local options. Whether substantiated or not, I`ve heard enough shenanigans about the Chinese gov`t meddling with the internet that I avoid having anything to do with it where I can.

Maybe you should Google Edward Snowden and find out what your government is doing to you?

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I personally use ADM and have not used any of the OEM tools. ADM is very effective and one of the first things I enable on a new device. The find your phone feature alone is great.

As far as the geopolitical aspect of the internet in various regions... that seems like it's probably it's own thread that already exists somewhere in politics.

pchap

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue Saturday. Calls to AT&T and a trip to the store and the only solution was to WIPE the phone.I knew may password and it would not take it or my Google account login . I wish I had gone the final step!

Carrie Graham1

May 20, 2015
Visit site
HELP! I can not get my phone unlocked. I entered the password twice when Locking it. And the phone confirmed it was locked. There is a place to enter a password, but I get the same reply...incorrect password. I phoned Verizon, transferred to Google, transferred to Nexus for support with ADM but since I have a Galaxy S4 they transferred me to Samsung. Total time on the phone patiently retelling my story 3.25 hours. The last person made it sound like once you USE the Lock feature it is not reversible, since this is primarily in place for people who have lost their phone. But I can't believe this. If so, shouldn't there be a warning on the ADM screen...Do NOT lock phone unless you are prepared to restore to factory settings. AND why is there a Enter Password place on the phone if it can't be unlocked. I am SO upset. I really hope a wonderful technical person can assist me in understanding what is going on!

HCrocker

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
HELP! I can not get my phone unlocked. I entered the password twice when Locking it. And the phone confirmed it was locked. There is a place to enter a password, but I get the same reply...incorrect password. I phoned Verizon, transferred to Google, transferred to Nexus for support with ADM but since I have a Galaxy S4 they transferred me to Samsung. Total time on the phone patiently retelling my story 3.25 hours. The last person made it sound like once you USE the Lock feature it is not reversible, since this is primarily in place for people who have lost their phone. But I can't believe this. If so, shouldn't there be a warning on the ADM screen...Do NOT lock phone unless you are prepared to restore to factory settings. AND why is there a Enter Password place on the phone if it can't be unlocked. I am SO upset. I really hope a wonderful technical person can assist me in understanding what is going on!

Were you able to get back in without wiping the phone? I'm having the same problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21