04-24-2015 11:45 PM
75 123
tools
    Turns out both vscocam and android have terrible image compression due to androids limitations on what compression algorithms are available or something. Whatever the reason, it has basically rendered this otherwise nice phone into a useless piece of junk for my needs as a recreational photographer.
    First... there is no limitation on Android... the problems are 100% the fault of the developers of either application, not Android, Google or Samsung. Sadly, these are all-too common problems... Dev houses spend more time developing and refining apps on one particular platform and do little to improve the other. Frankly, this is incredibly stupid and shortsighted, particularly when the platform that gets the short end of the stick is Android (which alienates the majority of the market).

Have you poured through the settings in the Instagram app? There are a few settings there that might be screwing around with your pics.... "Use Instagram Advanced Camera" and "Use High Quality Image Processing"

That second one sounds dubious to me.... the S6 takes fine pictures... no need to have them fuss with it.
    04-21-2015 10:55 AM
    First... there is no limitation on Android... the problems are 100% the fault of the developers of either application, not Android, Google or Samsung. Sadly, these are all-too common problems... Dev houses spend more time developing and refining apps on one particular platform and do little to improve the other. Frankly, this is incredibly stupid and shortsighted, particularly when the platform that gets the short end of the stick is Android (which alienates the majority of the market).

Have you poured through the settings in the Instagram app? There are a few settings there that might be screwing around with your pics.... "Use Instagram Advanced Camera" and "Use High Quality Image Processing"

That second one sounds dubious to me.... the S6 takes fine pictures... no need to have them fuss with it.
    Yep I tried toggling settings of Instagram (HQ processing) and it made no discernable difference. Its an "experimental feature" that apparently is very hit or miss depending on the android device you have. This setting does not exist on the iPhone side.

Vscocam claims it is an android issue. I personally have no idea except all I know is posted photos from my s6 look awful *in comparison* to uploading the exact same photo (taken by my s6) from my iPhone.

For those of you who are saying it uploads perfectly, you should try uploading from an iOS device. It is miles better. Less compression. Lines don't become huge jagged messes. Certain patterns maintain their clarity.

I'll upload a comparison photo when I have some down time in Paris!
    04-21-2015 12:23 PM
    Yep I tried toggling settings of Instagram (HQ processing) and it made no discernable difference. Its an "experimental feature" that apparently is very hit or miss depending on the android device you have. This setting does not exist on the iPhone side.

Vscocam claims it is an android issue. I personally have no idea except all I know is posted photos from my s6 look awful *in comparison* to uploading the exact same photo (taken by my s6) from my iPhone.

For those of you who are saying it uploads perfectly, you should try uploading from an iOS device. It is miles better. Less compression. Lines don't become huge jagged messes. Certain patterns maintain their clarity.

I'll upload a comparison photo when I have some down time in Paris!
    I did have an iPhone 6+ -- I didn't have an issue uploading pictures from it to Google +... just like I don't from my S6. I really am going to have to blame the apps here (at least that is my opinion) because I have no issues with the apps I use to upload. I just don't use instagram or anything so not sure on that one.
    04-21-2015 12:28 PM
    Like i said uploading from my wifes iPhone 5S looks just as "good" as my S6 uploads. Your complaint isnt valid until you upload some of the photos here for us to view. Heres an example of one i uploaded to Instagram, does it look bad?

Made the switch from iPhone. Not happy at all-img_20150416_192339.jpg
    04-21-2015 12:31 PM
    Then Vscocam is trying to sell you a box of BS, frankly. They don't want (or care) to fix the issue, so they are trying to send you on a fool's errand. There is no technical limitation on Android that would cause them to have to screw up a jpg.
    04-21-2015 12:49 PM
    Then Vscocam is trying to sell you a box of BS, frankly. They don't want (or care) to fix the issue, so they are trying to send you on a fool's errand. There is no technical limitation on Android that would cause them to have to screw up a jpg.
    https://vsco.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar...ll-resolution-

For Android:

Depending on the available memory of your device, minimal image scaling may occur.

Most Android devices are quite constrained in memory despite some having upwards of a few gigabytes of memory, but applications are not allowed to use all of that available memory and thus we have to make due with what is given to us from Android.

Large images may be downsized up to 50% when importing depending on the device you are on and available memory. If you are wanting a specific crop without losing quality, the best thing to do would be to crop the image before bringing it into VSCO Cam.

Our image processing techniques are very memory and processor intensive and allow us to achieve a quality not found in other applications and therefore we continue to push the boundaries of these resource constrained devices, but we are continuing research and work to improve the ability to import larger photos.
    04-21-2015 01:37 PM
    Starting to look like someone is claiming to be in "Paris" and "own" a S6. Where are the pictures? You have enough time to post things from websites but not upload a picture so we can all see it?
    04-21-2015 01:41 PM
    Of course they're going to blame Android for it if their Android app is currently inferior to their iOS app. It's the easy way out; the same thing every single software developer does in every situation where their program is not functioning as it should. Blame someone else until we figure it out.

I see it every day; I am a self-employed technology consultant of over 10 years.

Problem is, it's BS. You can write an Android app to compute whatever resizing/scaling/filtering you need I'm sure via the CPU through other approaches. They just haven't done it is all. They'll figure it out eventually as competition obligates them to do so and then all of a sudden their claim will disappear.
    04-21-2015 02:10 PM
    I have a iPhone 6 as well as a S6 and im telling you its the same..at least for me. Every pic I've uploaded to IG from my S6 maintains the same quality.
    04-21-2015 02:11 PM
    Screenshot. One is taken and uploaded by the s6. The other is the same photo (taken by the s6) but uploaded via my iPhone. There's clearly a difference. For exampke one maintains the wood floor lines way better than the other.

(The one uploaded by the s6 I just did again as a test, screenshotted it and then deleted it)

There's something wrong or poorly optimized with the way android/app devs compresses photos.

Edit: fixed uploads
    04-21-2015 02:26 PM
    https://vsco.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar...ll-resolution-

For Android:

Depending on the available memory of your device, minimal image scaling may occur.

Most Android devices are quite constrained in memory despite some having upwards of a few gigabytes of memory, but applications are not allowed to use all of that available memory and thus we have to make due with what is given to us from Android.

Large images may be downsized up to 50% when importing depending on the device you are on and available memory. If you are wanting a specific crop without losing quality, the best thing to do would be to crop the image before bringing it into VSCO Cam.

Our image processing techniques are very memory and processor intensive and allow us to achieve a quality not found in other applications and therefore we continue to push the boundaries of these resource constrained devices, but we are continuing research and work to improve the ability to import larger photos.
    That's valid if your device is a low budget or mid range Android phone with 1GB RAM, that's why they put that disclaimer in there, but talking about a Flagship phone with 3GB ram that's not a valid excuse.

If you want to really see if it's the phone or not, just go to recently used apps and close all apps so you don't have anything else opened, then if you have the Smart manager App, the one that came pre-installed in most versions, run a Clean All or even more specific open the RAM area and END ALL services, that will make sure that your Available Ram is basically available for any app you will open next, then open Instagram and try it again, if you have the same issue, don't look further and call Instagram and complain to them.
    04-21-2015 02:36 PM
    Of course they're going to blame Android for it if their Android app is currently inferior to their iOS app. It's the easy way out; the same thing every single software developer does in every situation where their program is not functioning as it should. Blame someone else until we figure it out.
    This.. so much this...

I've been in software development for nearly 20 years, and kicking the can down the road is a time honored tradition. Developers use it to stall while they work on their deliverables, companies use it to avoid having to actually do work. I mean, if a Galaxy S5 lacks the resources and processing power to handle their image processing..... Plenty of other applications manage to figure things out, on far less powerful hardware.

A few years ago, I was working on a product that used a feature in a commonly used OS developed by one of our partners.... we'll call it "Doors".... well, there was a clear memory leak in the "Doors" that was easily seen and reproducible. We contacted the the partner of "Doors" and they blamed our product, even though I could reproduce the leak without even installing our stuff. This went on for months; us saying "Doors" had a bug, them saying it was us and there was nothing wrong. Over a year later, we see a patch released that amazingly fixed an issue that never existed in the first place, supposedly...

Not that this helps the OP and his picture quality woes.
    04-21-2015 02:54 PM
    Screenshot. One is taken and uploaded by the s6. The other is the same photo (taken by the s6) but uploaded via my iPhone. There's clearly a difference. For exampke one maintains the wood floor lines way better than the other.

(The one uploaded by the s6 I just did again as a test, screenshotted it and then deleted it)

There's something wrong or poorly optimized with the way android/app devs compresses photos.

Edit: fixed uploads
    Wow.... that is a world of difference. I am quite shocked it's so bad. Thanks for this! I'm going to test myself.
    04-21-2015 03:25 PM
    The quality should be good on the S6... even when coming from the iPhone 6.
    04-21-2015 03:28 PM
    i cannot agree with you more..

application wise,, apple has it better than samsung..
    04-21-2015 03:48 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something. I just did a the same test. Fire photo. Shot with the S6. First photo uploaded with Android, second screen shot with the same photo downloaded to my iPhone 6 uploaded to Instagram.
    04-21-2015 03:57 PM
    I don't use Instagram and have not used iOS much recently so I can't comment on how that app functions...

I'm a project manager for several android applications. I can tell you iOS limits a lot more than android does. This really sounds to me like a setting is wrong or Instagram has not done a good job with their own code for their android app. If compression is the problem it's because of something Instagram has done or the library they chose to use with their application.

I'm sorry you're having the issue and I really hope you figure it out. I've had no issue like this with my pictures that was caused by a device or operating system. If a picture doesn't look good it's always been because of where I uploaded it, like Facebook years ago before they allowed full res photos.
    04-21-2015 04:08 PM
    If you go back to the iPhone, keep your fingers crossed that instagram doesn't get an update that causes similar issues, good luck with your choice.
    04-21-2015 04:56 PM
    grow up dude. why would he make it up?
    04-21-2015 06:10 PM
    The GS6 has barely been released some two weeks ago. Give the app developers a chance but it is poor form to abrogate responsibility for your own product regardless of which platform it operates on.
    04-21-2015 08:18 PM
    Oh, this is a year or two old issue so you'll have to go deep to see complaints. Again, I only remember this as when it came to Android I heard the complaints and I read that anything you post is no longer your property and can be used by instagram for any purpose... But things may have changed by now.

I would never use such an app anyway. It's garbage for a retired photographer like me.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Its used more like a sharing platform which OP mentioned.
    04-21-2015 09:39 PM
    I'm a 10+ year iPhone user and I came over to the "darkside" when the Edge came out. I will NEVER go back! I love this phone! It takes fantastic pics - better than the iPhone 5C I had. I've sent them to other people thru email and text; had no problem.
    04-21-2015 09:55 PM
    I'm a 10+ year iPhone user and I came over to the "darkside" when the Edge came out. I will NEVER go back! I love this phone! It takes fantastic pics - better than the iPhone 5C I had. I've sent them to other people thru email and text; had no problem.
    How can you be a 10 plus year iPhone user if the iPhone hasn't been out that long?

Posted via the Android Central App
    neo905 likes this.
    04-22-2015 05:38 AM
    To the OP, check the PLay Store, this morning I got a notiifcation that Instagram needed to be updated so I did. Let us know how it works out. Probably just coincidental that it received a lot of attention here and the app got updated.
    04-22-2015 05:47 AM
    You are using it wrong!! lol
    04-22-2015 10:26 AM
75 123