Made the switch from iPhone. Not happy at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I made the switch from an iPhone 5 to the s6.

I'm currently vacationing in Paris and thought it would be a great opportunity to test the camera. Photos turn out great.

I use vscocam and Instagram constantly. Its the best place to share my photos and I thought what could be better than pairing up those apps with the s6 camera?

Turns out android has TERRIBLE apps. After noticing that something really weird was happening with my photos as I post them I started googling and kept finding links like these.

http://phandroid.com/2014/06/04/instagram-6-0-still-uploads-poor-quality-photos-for-android/

Turns out both vscocam and android have terrible image compression due to androids limitations on what compression algorithms are available or something. Whatever the reason, it has basically rendered this otherwise nice phone into a useless piece of junk for my needs as a recreational photographer.

I'm actually resorting to sending my photos to my iPhone from my s6 so I can actually post them without gagging.

Just wanted to warn anyone else who wants to make the leap to android due to the s6s camera and use Instagram as heavily as I do.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't use instagram and if you're a photographer you shouldn't as well. But while I didn't read the link, do you think that this is not an android or Samsung issue but an instagram issue?

Or should I read the link? Because I don't have compression issues with other things that I uploaded to.

Edit
Just read the link, this is not an android issue. This is clearly an instagram issue and your blaming the wrong company.

Posted via the Android Central App

othersteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Instagram is such garbage. Happy to avoid anything owned/operated by FB personally, but that's just me.

[/unhelpful yet cathartic rant]

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I use instagram rarely, just uploaded a pic I took on my S6 and it looks great. My wife uses 5S and the pictures uploaded don't look any better...and as if you could tell, you can't zoom on the app and the picture area is very limited. Meh.

Posted via S6

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't use instagram and if you're a photographer you shouldn't as well. But while I didn't read the link, do you think that this is not an android or Samsung issue but an instagram issue?

Or should I read the link? Because I don't have compression issues with other things that I uploaded to.

Edit
Just read the link, this is not an android issue. This is clearly an instagram issue and your blaming the wrong company.

How are you connecting the dots between an app not exclusively Android and not developed by Google and the GS6. The GS6 camera, both pictures and video, blows the i5 camera off the map. You are basing your decision about which is the determining factor in deciding to buy one or the other based only on the camera alone. There are so many functional and performance aspects that the devices aren't comparable. The GS6 camera is better in low light and color reproduction. There are so many more options in the GS6 camera.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
How are you connecting the dots between an app not exclusively Android and not developed by Google and the GS6. The GS6 camera, both pictures and video, blows the i5 camera off the map. You are basing your decision about which is the determining factor in deciding to buy one or the other based only on the camera alone. There are so many functional and performance aspects that the devices aren't comparable. The GS6 camera is better in low light and color reproduction. There are so many more options in the GS6 camera.

Are you talking to me? Because I have no idea why you are saying this.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I think he means the OP of how he is connecting the dots to say its android and an s6 problem

The OP. I love how iPhone owners new to the GS6 come flying on to the forum when it appears they haven't spent time with the camera or even the device itself. I know that for some, a single feature drives their purchase but, come on.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The OP. I love how iPhone owners new to the GS6 come flying on to the forum when it appears they haven't spent time with the camera or even the device itself. I know that for some, a single feature drives their purchase but, come on.

Ok, but the op wasn't talking about the camera. He was talking about how terrible Android apps are...and more specifically how bad instagram is. But instagram was always a terrible app. Unless they changed it, you don't even own the copy rights to anything you upload to it. It's the worst app for photographers or hobbyists to upload images to.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've posted several pics to Instagram and Facebook and they have been flawless. Not sure what the problem is with yours.

Same here, my instagram pics are clear. Do you have the latest version of Instagram?
Try uninstalling and reinstalling instagram
Or dont take the pictures directly from the instagram app. Take the pic first with the Galaxy S6, then use instagram to upload it

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

You are expecting the consumer to install all the ~100 apps on demo piece and try them all out ?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
You are expecting the consumer to install all the ~100 apps on demo piece and try them all out ?

I don't think anyone is saying that. But if you want to use an app, maybe reading the reviews first and some stories about how good or bad it is first is a better idea than just installing and finding out how good it is.

Also, while absolutely nobody does this, when it comes to all social media, you really need to read the terms of service or be prepared to suffer the consequences.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Nope. I am expecting some one to learn about their device by playing with it and to go through the entire device and try it out. It is a bit of a transition from Apple which makes a great product to Android where there is more customization potential and freedom to tune the device to your liking. android is not for everyone. While a Apple is more optimized, Android takes it to the next level from a utility and performance of its features. Both have their fair share of bugs and drawbacks and each meets different needs.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't think anyone is saying that. But if you want to use an app, maybe reading the reviews first and some stories about how good or bad it is first is a better idea than just installing and finding out how good it is.

Also, while absolutely nobody does this, when it comes to all social media, you really need to read the terms of service or be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Like you said, I went ahead and read Instagram app reviews.

Here's the link to Instagram reviews page and please tell me which review actually mentioned about the said problem :
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.instagram.android&hl=en&token=9bvkbzdP

Also, I did a Google search for that :
https://www.google.co.in/search?client=opera&q=instagram+android+issues&s
(The said issue is in the second page)

I read somewhere that 90% of the users actually go to the second page of Google search. So, Google search seem to be working better than reviews themselves.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Like you said, I went ahead and read Instagram app reviews.

Here's the link to Instagram reviews page and please tell me which review actually mentioned about the said problem :
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.instagram.android&hl=en&token=ZDWhDML8

Also, I did a Google search for that :
https://www.google.co.in/search?client=opera&q=instagram+android+issues&s
(The said issue is in the second page)

I read somewhere that 90% of the users actually go to the second page of Google search. So, Google search seem to be working better than reviews themselves.

Oh, this is a year or two old issue so you'll have to go deep to see complaints. Again, I only remember this as when it came to Android I heard the complaints and I read that anything you post is no longer your property and can be used by instagram for any purpose... But things may have changed by now.

I would never use such an app anyway. It's garbage for a retired photographer like me.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I made the switch from an iPhone 5 to the s6.

I'm currently vacationing in Paris and thought it would be a great opportunity to test the camera. Photos turn out great.

I use vscocam and Instagram constantly. Its the best place to share my photos and I thought what could be better than pairing up those apps with the s6 camera?

Turns out android has TERRIBLE apps. After noticing that something really weird was happening with my photos as I post them I started googling and kept finding links like these.

http://phandroid.com/2014/06/04/instagram-6-0-still-uploads-poor-quality-photos-for-android/

Turns out both vscocam and android have terrible image compression due to androids limitations on what compression algorithms are available or something. Whatever the reason, it has basically rendered this otherwise nice phone into a useless piece of junk for my needs as a recreational photographer.

I'm actually resorting to sending my photos to my iPhone from my s6 so I can actually post them without gagging.

Just wanted to warn anyone else who wants to make the leap to android due to the s6s camera and use Instagram as heavily as I do.

so your upset with your S6 because "Android has terrible apps" ... ummm ok

zachgates

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
After owning two iPhones I switched to Android and WILL NEVER go back. The iPhone and IOS are simplistic and targeted at simpletons. I realize there are lots of simple folks in the world and one company (Crapple) caters to their needs. Return to the iSheep flock and enjoy your 2009 era phone technology.

Protip: it's 2015, only children still play the "my team is better than your team" game with phones. It's like watching people whine and argue over Xbox vs Playstation.

I went from an LG G3 to an iPhone 6+, switched from the iPhone to the s6 Edge, and I'm gonna see what the iPhone 7 has in store. Both are amazing devices.

As for the OP, that's an Instagram issue. Some app companies don't give a toss about Android and that's not Google's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.