Made the switch from iPhone. Not happy at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
You've just illustrated another issue with Android for people coming from iOS.

They can't find their apps. They're just not there. It took me 0.5 seconds to find out what Vscocam was

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/24/69eb764bf9620ec67d67d425bbc575ef.jpg

He illustrates very nicely the exact reason why I bought an iPad and not any other android tablet. It basically comes down to the Apps.

I use a professional vector design program called iDraw on iPad. There is nothing even remotely similar to this on Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All i was saying is that i cant comment on vscocam because i am unfamiliar with the app. Im glad you are savvy enough to be able to search and find it in an app store. Kudos to ya.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
All i was saying is that i cant comment on vscocam because i am unfamiliar with the app. Im glad you are savvy enough to be able to search and find it in an app store. Kudos to ya.

No not really.

Don't take your comment out of context to wiggle yourself out of it.

What you were saying is that all he has to do is choose other methods to upload his images so that they're a good resolution, and dismissing the other app because you never heard of it.

But the real issue is that Android apps are inferior to iOS apps and the OP was just giving an example of the hard reality when you switch from iOS to Android.

I had android for 1 1/2 years so I know what he's talking about.

You can't wiggle yourself out of 2 realities

1) apps come out first for iOS, and sometimes only iOS and the companies don't even bother with an android app.

2) if the android app does come out, it is inferior to the iOS app.

And that's the harsh reality.

You're giving the OP a false solution. The bottom line is that Instagram should be as good on Android as it is on iOS and it isn't.

He'll also get a rude awakening when ad pop ups start coming on his home screen and he won't know what to do, or third party apps automatically downloading to his device without his permission.

That was my favorite one when I was on Android. How many times did I see a Mobogenie download in my phone that I didn't authorize. It's ridiculous.

Your entire post was basically an excuse for how it is OK for Android apps not to be as good. "You don't really need that. Why would you want to do that. What would you need that for anyway". Sorry but that's just not cutting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch from an iPhone 5 to the s6.

I'm currently vacationing in Paris and thought it would be a great opportunity to test the camera. Photos turn out great.

I use vscocam and Instagram constantly. Its the best place to share my photos and I thought what could be better than pairing up those apps with the s6 camera?

Turns out android has TERRIBLE apps. After noticing that something really weird was happening with my photos as I post them I started googling and kept finding links like these.

http://phandroid.com/2014/06/04/instagram-6-0-still-uploads-poor-quality-photos-for-android/

Turns out both vscocam and android have terrible image compression due to androids limitations on what compression algorithms are available or something. Whatever the reason, it has basically rendered this otherwise nice phone into a useless piece of junk for my needs as a recreational photographer.

I'm actually resorting to sending my photos to my iPhone from my s6 so I can actually post them without gagging.

Just wanted to warn anyone else who wants to make the leap to android due to the s6s camera and use Instagram as heavily as I do.

Your only real solution is just to sell that S6 and go back to iOS.

This isn't going to get any better. If you're relying on the availability and quality of specific apps, you basically have no other choice but to stay on iOS. iPhones and iPads.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Apple fanboys now coming here to defend? Hilarious, brand loyalty going on at it's finest...on the competition Forum.

Ads popping up??? How many YEARS ago did you use android? We've got the old invalid argument being brought up, that was the same time when iPhone still didn't have copy and paste.

Apps are better on ios it's true, I can admit it. Go back to imore.

Posted via the Android Central App

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
No not really.

Don't take your comment out of context to wiggle yourself out of it.

What you were saying is that all he has to do is choose other methods to upload his images so that they're a good resolution, and dismissing the other app because you never heard of it.

But the real issue is that Android apps are inferior to iOS apps and the OP was just giving an example of the hard reality when you switch from iOS to Android.

I had android for 1 1/2 years so I know what he's talking about.

You can't wiggle yourself out of 2 realities

1) apps come out first for iOS, and sometimes only iOS and the companies don't even bother with an android app.

2) if the android app does come out, it is inferior to the iOS app.

And that's the harsh reality.

You're giving the OP a false solution. The bottom line is that Instagram should be as good on Android as it is on iOS and it isn't.

He'll also get a rude awakening when ad pop ups start coming on his home screen and he won't know what to do, or third party apps automatically downloading to his device without his permission.

That was my favorite one when I was on Android. How many times did I see a Mobogenie download in my phone that I didn't authorize. It's ridiculous.

Your entire post was basically an excuse for how it is OK for Android apps not to be as good. "You don't really need that. Why would you want to do that. What would you need that for anyway". Sorry but that's just not cutting it.

You obviously either didn't read through my posts well enough, or you're just trying to stir things up with me. That said, let me try to clear things up so that we can get past this quickly and properly.

A) I never offered excuses or workarounds to defend android or android apps. I merely tried to actually help the OP with some POSSIBLE solutions that might help him avoid the issues he is currently facing. Will my suggestions work, or possibly help lead to a workable solution for the OP? I have no idea, but at least I was/am here trying to help rather than either blindly defend iOS or Android OS.

B) I was as clear as possible in saying a couple of times that I am totally unfamiliar with Vscocam, and therefore cannot offer anything of substance dealing with that app. If you choose to interpret that any other way than face value, that's on you.

C) Not only am I not wiggling out of anything, or even attempting to, I have acknowledged that iOS has good apps, and that obviously the iOS apps in question here are working better for the OP than they seem to be on Android OS. How you figure I'm trying to wiggle out of anything, or take my own comments out of context is beyond me.

D) I never said Instagram or Vscocam is a stupid/useless app, nor did I say the OP shouldn't be using either of them on either OS. What I said was - very plainly I might add - is that neither app is meant to present "professional quality photographs". Instead, these apps are meant to take pictures of things, moments, etc. and allow you to post and share them with friends. Why else would there be compression built into the apps to downsize the images? I realize part of it is to save bandwidth and server space, but at the same time, it's sacrificing picture quality no matter how good the down-sampled image is once it gets processed. I also mentioned that the "jaggies" in the android Instagram example do NOT detract from the moment the picture is capturing - at least not to me, and likely not to the friends/family that the OP is sharing them with. Again, taking that for anything other than face value is a "you problem", and has nothing to do with me and what you think I may be implying.

Not that I really needed to defend myself on any of the above issues, or any further issues ... but I'll say that I've only spent time on this forum either helping people, or asking for help. I don't come here to argue and/or cause problems. Why you feel the need to come to the aid of your friend and champion iOS, apple devices and iOS apps is beyond me. Seems you are the one trolling and/or wasting time and bandwidth. Not to mention that most all of us here have noted that there are most definitely some apps that are superior on iOS vs. Android, and even some nice apps for iOS that don't even exist for Android OS. Again, why you feel the need to keep pointing out the obvious to people who have already acknowledged these facts is beyond me, and can only be construed as trolling for the sake of trolling.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Apple fanboys now coming here to defend? Hilarious, brand loyalty going on at it's finest...on the competition Forum.

Ads popping up??? How many YEARS ago did you use android? We've got the old invalid argument being brought up, that was the same time when iPhone still didn't have copy and paste.

You obviously either didn't read through my posts well enough, or you're just trying to stir things up with me. That said, let me try to clear things up so that we can get past this quickly and properly.

A) I never offered excuses or workarounds to defend android or android apps. I merely tried to actually help the OP with some POSSIBLE solutions that might help him avoid the issues he is currently facing. Will my suggestions work, or possibly help lead to a workable solution for the OP? I have no idea, but at least I was/am here trying to help rather than either blindly defend iOS or Android OS.

B) I was as clear as possible in saying a couple of times that I am totally unfamiliar with Vscocam, and therefore cannot offer anything of substance dealing with that app. If you choose to interpret that any other way than face value, that's on you.

C) Not only am I not wiggling out of anything, or even attempting to, I have acknowledged that iOS has good apps, and that obviously the iOS apps in question here are working better for the OP than they seem to be on Android OS. How you figure I'm trying to wiggle out of anything, or take my own comments out of context is beyond me.

D) I never said Instagram or Vscocam is a stupid/useless app, nor did I say the OP shouldn't be using either of them on either OS. What I said was - very plainly I might add - is that neither app is meant to present "professional quality photographs". Instead, these apps are meant to take pictures of things, moments, etc. and allow you to post and share them with friends. Why else would there be compression built into the apps to downsize the images? I realize part of it is to save bandwidth and server space, but at the same time, it's sacrificing picture quality no matter how good the down-sampled image is once it gets processed. I also mentioned that the "jaggies" in the android Instagram example do NOT detract from the moment the picture is capturing - at least not to me, and likely not to the friends/family that the OP is sharing them with. Again, taking that for anything other than face value is a "you problem", and has nothing to do with me and what you think I may be implying.

Not that I really needed to defend myself on any of the above issues, or any further issues ... but I'll say that I've only spent time on this forum either helping people, or asking for help. I don't come here to argue and/or cause problems. Why you feel the need to come to the aid of your friend and champion iOS, apple devices and iOS apps is beyond me. Seems you are the one trolling and/or wasting time and bandwidth. Not to mention that most all of us here have noted that there are most definitely some apps that are superior on iOS vs. Android, and even some nice apps for iOS that don't even exist for Android OS. Again, why you feel the need to keep pointing out the obvious to people who have already acknowledged these facts is beyond me, and can only be construed as trolling for the sake of trolling.

I don't know if you have read one of the Mods posts in recent threads but they are trying to keep things civilized here and they have explicitly mentioned to not come here to troll and to not feed the trolls but instead report it, so I just did that, don't bother with these guys, this is their hobby to troll.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Well let's see. This came out just 5 MONTHS ago

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-app-displaying-popup-adverts/

And I can't tell you how many times I got .apk files downloading to my device without my permission. Mobogenie and others.

It is what it is.

Oh, I was using an android phone as of 4 days ago when I sold it.

7544de226a6fcaee4e5c963a4fdd2d18.jpg

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you have read one of the Mods posts in recent threads but they are trying to keep things civilized here and they have explicitly mentioned to not come here to troll and to not feed the trolls but instead report it, so I just did that, don't bother with these guys, this is their hobby to troll.

When did I troll? I'm just noting the facts. I talk facts so that equals trolling.

The OP came to tell us about how crap his apps are compared to iOS, specifically Instagram. He didn't come here to have someone tell him to just use something else. This isn't a solution.

Bottom line is the apps should be exactly equal but they aren't.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

The problem with your logic is that the OP didn't ask you for help. He didn't say "please help me with an alternative for Instagram".

He simply said, the apps I want to use are total crap on Android and I regret buying a Galaxy S6.

That's it. The only thing to tell him is, yes. You are right. Those apps definitely don't work the same as you're used to in the iPhone. Sell the S6 and go back to what works for you.

He came here to WARN other people about how awful these apps are and to stay away from Android if that's their use case. He didn't come here asking for anybody's help.

This isn't trolling, I'm trying to get this back on track to the spirit of the thread. The Original Post. If you can't remember the original post, go back and read it.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
The problem with your logic is that the OP didn't ask you for help. He didn't say "please help me with an alternative for Instagram".

He simply said, the apps I want to use are total crap on Android and I regret buying a Galaxy S6.

That's it. The only thing to tell him is, yes. You are right. Those apps definitely don't work the same as you're used to in the iPhone. Sell the S6 and go back to what works for you.

He came here to WARN other people about how awful these apps are and to stay away from Android if that's their use case. He didn't come here asking for anybody's help.

This isn't trolling, I'm trying to get this back on track to the spirit of the thread. The Original Post. If you can't remember the original post, go back and read it.

I guess the moral of this story is, "No good deed goes unpunished."

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
When did I troll? I'm just noting the facts. I talk facts so that equals trolling.

The OP came to tell us about how crap his apps are compared to iOS, specifically Instagram. He didn't come here to have someone tell him to just use something else. This isn't a solution.

Bottom line is the apps should be exactly equal but they aren't.

I'm not even wasting much time here, but, seriously? just look for the definition of trolling, don't come here if you don't have the device that this forum is about, or have interest or plans on buying it, and then with yours comments...

If you just have iOS devices now then you are way out of your way here, these are forums to help people to solve issues with their devices not to come here wasting resources directly bashing the device and OS, and then say that if you want good and quality apps to sell the device and go to iOS.

Enough with you, Mods, please, just stop this nonsense.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I guess the moral of this story is, "No good deed goes unpunished."

I think the moral of the story is that Android as well as iOS/Apple forums should stop the fanboy crap and stop calling people Trolls and banning anyone who doesn't get in line and follow the company line.

I have used both platforms. I am back on iOS because of form factor. Nothing else. I don't care about one or the other. It is all the same to me.

ajarnfalang

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm not even wasting much time here, but, seriously? just look for the definition of trolling, don't come here if you don't have the device that this forum is about, or have interest or plans on buying it, and then with yours comments...

If you just have iOS devices now then you are way out of your way here, these are forums to help people to solve issues with their devices not to come here wasting resources directly bashing the device and OS, and then say that if you want good and quality apps to sell the device and go to iOS.

Enough with you, Mods, please, just stop this nonsense.

I am not bashing anything. The OP did that just fine. I'm basically agreeing with the OP. The bashing has already been done. There's nothing more to bash.

Did you ever read the original post? He didn't come here for help. Look at the title of the thread.

I came here because I have used both platforms and I have found the exact same problems he is facing now with apps.

And stop calling people Trolls. You're the one instigating the problem. There is not problem here. I am agreeing with the OP. He is right. Apps are inferior in Android. That's the truth.

If you actually read the original post, this thread isn't about a device. This thread is about the pain of switching from iOS to Android. And I did the same. From iOS to android and back to iOS. So I have every right to post on here because I have been through the same thing.

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This has got to be the silliest thread on here in a long time. Are people really going down the iOS vs Android road again? Are y'all really grown ups. The OP was trolling y'all and even tho some of you saw how obvious it was y'all still bit. We measure pic quality by Instagram now? Come on.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol