If you are not in a hurry to charge is it better to use a conventional "slow" charger or the stock fast charger for overall battery health? Is fast charging detrimental in any way to battery longevity and performance?
    04-20-2015 08:46 PM
    If you are not in a hurry to charge is it better to use a conventional "slow" charger or the stock fast charger for overall battery health? Is fast charging detrimental in any way to battery longevity and performance?
    Nope.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-20-2015 08:47 PM
    For many years the prevailing wisdom was that slow charging prolongs battery life by reducing heat during the charging cycle. That position has recently been called into question:

Rapid charging and draining doesn’t damage lithium ion battery electrodes as much as thought

At the end of the day, however, it comes down to the specific battery and charger.

My Note 4 supports fast charging but since I only need to charge at night (when I am asleep), I just use my old S3 dock, which slow charges it. It makes no difference to me since I am asleep and it is at 100% when I wake up regardless...and I have assumed that it may be a bit easier on the battery. That said, the difference may be quite marginal. If I only had the one charger and it was the adaptive fast charger, I would not hesitate to use it all the time.
    atishc likes this.
    04-20-2015 09:07 PM
    For many years the prevailing wisdom was that slow charging prolongs battery life by reducing heat during the charging cycle. That position has recently been called into question:

Rapid charging and draining doesn’t damage lithium ion battery electrodes as much as thought

At the end of the day, however, it comes down to the specific battery and charger.

My Note 4 supports fast charging but since I only need to charge at night (when I am asleep), I just use my old S3 dock, which slow charges it. It makes no difference to me since I am asleep and it is at 100% when I wake up regardless...and I have assumed that it may be a bit easier on the battery. That said, the difference may be quite marginal. If I only had the one charger and it was the adaptive fast charger, I would not hesitate to use it all the time.
    Lol. Like I said, nope.

04-20-2015 09:25 PM
    I wouldn't think that there is any issue as it is included in the box. Why provide something detrimental to your product?
    04-20-2015 09:30 PM
    Some people are writing that they suspect the fast charger is burning out the accelerometers and causing screen rotation to fail. My S6 experienced this failure today after only 3 days of ownership. I'm going to avoid the fast charger on my replacement model until I know more.
    04-20-2015 09:36 PM
    Not really. I wouldn't worry about it .
    04-20-2015 09:42 PM

Just wondering, is it bad for the battery to leave your phone on a charger at night?

danthman likes this.
    04-20-2015 10:09 PM
    I don't see any reason not to use it. I didn't see any degradation on my note 4 battery

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
    04-21-2015 03:56 AM
    Does anyone know how much/if Samsung have a service to change the battery? Fixed batteries degrade massively over say 18 months. There's little resell value with a weak battery
    04-21-2015 04:35 AM
    $45 to replace battery.

http://bgr.com/2015/04/16/galaxy-s6-...-cost-samsung/

Bodzm likes this.
    04-21-2015 05:48 AM